• Please log in to reply
69 replies to this topic

#41 haroldsnepsts

haroldsnepsts

"Classy"

• HoF Booster Mod
  • 17,298 posts

Posted 25 April 2010 - 09:15 AM

He won't be suspended. There was no intent to injure on the play. He's not a repeat offender. There was no injury to the head (which is why it wasn't a game misconduct).

I agree he likely won't be suspended, but there wasn't intent on Ovechkin's play either. And I think the injury to the head is kind of a weak criteria for the NHL to use. They claim it's not influenced by extent of the injury, but that's exactly what that is. Not to mention, you can't always tell if there's a head injury, unless the guy's knocked out cold. Hamhuis could wake up today with headaches and they'll find out he had a concussion.

Both plays they reached out and shoved the guy as he was headed towards the boards. That's always a dangerous play.

It was an equally dangerous play to what AO did to Campbell, it just didn't have as bad of consequences. If Hamhuis falls differently, it could've been a concussion and broken collarbone, or worse. But he gets up and skates away, so Hossa's back on the ice to score the winning goal.

#42 Travis

Travis

Hall-of-Famer

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,460 posts

Posted 25 April 2010 - 09:30 AM

I'm on the fence. Obviously, it's a similar situation - but he has no history and wasn't Ovie's suspension announced after Campbell's injury? Doesn't look like Hamhuis is missing any time. You can aruge consistency, but the playoffs are a different beast. Let's remember that Claude Lemieux was only suspended 2 games for what he did to Draper.

cc_champs-5_zps34057ff0.png

#43 cusimano_brothers

cusimano_brothers

Legend

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,615 posts

Posted 25 April 2010 - 09:58 AM

"Consistency by the NHL" is an oxymoron. Any word on whether Hossa sprained a wrist ligament? That was gutless.

"Mess up tomorrow, don't mess up now".

- Harry James Benson, CBE.

#44 Hockeytown_Ryan

Hockeytown_Ryan

1st Line All-Star

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,806 posts

Posted 25 April 2010 - 10:29 AM

No, he has no history.

So What! History has NO BEARING on what he did. He put another player in a harmful situation and almost seriously hurt someone. Now grant you Hamius got up and skated away on his own (where as Campbell did not) Still a dangerous play and should be a suspension. I vote YES!

Using the "I didn't do it before" argument is pathetic. have some respect for the other guys on the ice and dont push from behind. Just because he has no history...Lets not give him a reason to start one and give him a pass.

#45 2guns

2guns

Rookie

• Pip
  • 151 posts

Posted 25 April 2010 - 10:31 AM

How can you not hate him? If he even played to 50% of his ability the Wings would of won the Cup last season, GUARANTEED. Hossa has the most blame for under performing last play-offs. Now you want him to win a Cup with a new team? If you hate Chicago, you need to hate Hossa. Hossa doesn't deserve a cup. He's a cup chaser, who doesn't want to put in the work, the time, the effort. He didn't last season, why would it be so great if he won it now? f*** Marian Hossa.

Easily,

I don't hate Datsyuk or Franzen when they decide to not play to even 50% of their game either. I didn't hate Howard in game 3 when he didn't play to his 50%. I don't hate any player when they hit a slump. I'm just not that s***ty and fair weather of a fan.

I don't hate ANY player that plays the mercenary role and goes where the money is, even though I think they all make too much money as it is.

You say he's a cup chaser, like that's a bad thing? Show me one player in the NHL that doesn't chase the cup. Just not every player gets to bounce around for better chances.

Also, when did I say I was a hawks fan or I wanted him(them) to win the cup? LOL
I dislike the hawks ever since they became the choice of the douchebag generation along with the penguins.

A final point, I would love all the people who think that ONE player makes or breaks a cup bid to actually understand that there is an ENTIRE team failing to win it based on TEAM performance. In playoff hockey NOTHING is guaranteed. Certainly we're all smart enough to know 1 man didn't cost us the cup, right?

That's my opinion on that. Take it for what it's worth: nothing. LOL ;)

#46 Carman

Carman

Legend

• HoF Booster
  • 5,114 posts

Posted 25 April 2010 - 10:43 AM

So What! History has NO BEARING on what he did. He put another player in a harmful situation and almost seriously hurt someone. Now grant you Hamius got up and skated away on his own (where as Campbell did not) Still a dangerous play and should be a suspension. I vote YES!

Using the "I didn't do it before" argument is pathetic. have some respect for the other guys on the ice and dont push from behind. Just because he has no history...Lets not give him a reason to start one and give him a pass.

The "I didn't do it before" argument isn't pathetic. When a player like Hossa has 10 years in the league without any supplemental disclipline, it's safe to say he's not a dirty player.

Yet, Pronger, Cooke, Ruutu, Laraque etc. all have a history so the benefit of doubt would not apply to them like it does to Hossa in this situation.

That said I wouldn't mind a one game suspension, these hits are very dangerous, but this was not a bloodthirsty check from behind therefore I don't see them suspending him. They gave him a 5 minute major in the last couple minutes of a game when his team was down a goal. That's a pretty steep punishment.

And the severity of the injury always plays a role in the punishment. If I shoot a man, and he lives my punishment would not be as severe as it would if he died. Or if I steal a pack of gum over a $40000 dollar car, or if I get in a bar fight and the person I fight gets brain damaged instead of a concussion etc... The level of punishment in our society depends on the severity of the outcome, it might not be fair, but that's why you don't break the rules in the first place you might not be lucky.

#47 Biolink

Biolink

Draftee

• 9 posts

Posted 25 April 2010 - 10:46 AM

I'm on the fence. Obviously, it's a similar situation - but he has no history and wasn't Ovie's suspension announced after Campbell's injury? Doesn't look like Hamhuis is missing any time. You can aruge consistency, but the playoffs are a different beast. Let's remember that Claude Lemieux was only suspended 2 games for what he did to Draper.

Ovie had already gotten 2 game misconducts earlier in the season, so it was auto suspension for him after he got the 3rd game misconduct.

#48 13dangledangle

13dangledangle

1st Line All-Star

• Silver Booster
  • 1,851 posts

Posted 25 April 2010 - 10:46 AM

I think Hossa should be suspended for at least what ovie got, dirty hit, not as bad as ovies but look at it the intent is the same. But why did he not miss the rest of the game with a 5min in the last min of the 3rd? and he got the ot goal? i missed the game so i dont know what happend it just seems odd :blink:
....Ladies and Gentlemen Jimmy "F%$*ing" Howard.

#49 Biolink

Biolink

Draftee

• 9 posts

Posted 25 April 2010 - 10:54 AM

I think Hossa should be suspended for at least what ovie got, dirty hit, not as bad as ovies but look at it the intent is the same. But why did he not miss the rest of the game with a 5min in the last min of the 3rd? and he got the ot goal? i missed the game so i dont know what happend it just seems odd :blink:

It was a 5 minute major. Not a 5 minute major with a game misconduct infraction. The Hawks killed off the penalty in OT, and Hossa came right out of the box onto the ice.

And no I don't believe the intent was the same. Its a physical sport in a playoff game. Both guys were racing and fighting for the puck which is what you should do. In the Ovi situation he shoved Campbell into the boards after Campbell had already got rid of the puck. Ovi probably could have been awarded the leeway to finish a check, but Ovi made the mistake of actually following through, which is why it turned out as bad as it did.

Edited by Biolink, 25 April 2010 - 10:55 AM.

#50 Jersey Wing

Jersey Wing

Watching Eastern Conference hockey before it was cool...

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,129 posts

Posted 25 April 2010 - 10:54 AM

I'm sick of seeing this crap and a suspension during the playoffs, especially to a star player is the only real punishment available to the league. I really don't care if it's borderline legal or open to debate legal. It's just a downright stupid play on Hossa's behalf and I'm all for sending a message for injuries caused by stupidity.

14767451334_8f0d14d8cb_o.jpg

#51 Rivalred

Rivalred

Legend

• HoF Booster
  • 7,314 posts

Posted 25 April 2010 - 10:58 AM

And he was able to play the rest of the game and scored the winning goal in OT, talk about salt in the wound.
D-Fence Avatar Win-O-Meter 8-1

#52 Hockeytown_Ryan

Hockeytown_Ryan

1st Line All-Star

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,806 posts

Posted 25 April 2010 - 10:59 AM

The "I didn't do it before" argument isn't pathetic. When a player like Hossa has 10 years in the league without any supplemental disclipline, it's safe to say he's not a dirty player.

Yet, Pronger, Cooke, Ruutu, Laraque etc. all have a history so the benefit of doubt would not apply to them like it does to Hossa in this situation.

That said I wouldn't mind a one game suspension, these hits are very dangerous, but this was not a bloodthirsty check from behind therefore I don't see them suspending him. They gave him a 5 minute major in the last couple minutes of a game when his team was down a goal. That's a pretty steep punishment.

And the severity of the injury always plays a role in the punishment. If I shoot a man, and he lives my punishment would not be as severe as it would if he died. Or if I steal a pack of gum over a $40000 dollar car, or if I get in a bar fight and the person I fight gets brain damaged instead of a concussion etc... The level of punishment in our society depends on the severity of the outcome, it might not be fair, but that's why you don't break the rules in the first place you might not be lucky.

I Guess you have a "HISTORY" then.... Shouldnt matter.... You did the crime....do the time..... Should Hossa get a Cooke like suspension.... No I agree there. It is mearly to set a standard in saying "these are not tolerable hits...No matter WHO YOU ARE".

#53 HadThomasVokounOnFortSt

HadThomasVokounOnFortSt

Hi

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,153 posts
  • Location:Cloudy Town, Minnesota. 762.20 miles from the Joe Louis Arena

Posted 25 April 2010 - 11:00 AM

Yeah, he should get suspended. It's the same hit that Ovi did.

Follow me on Twitter: @W2G4U

#54 Carman

Carman

Legend

• HoF Booster
  • 5,114 posts

Posted 25 April 2010 - 11:06 AM

I Guess you have a "HISTORY" then.... Shouldnt matter.... You did the crime....do the time..... Should Hossa get a Cooke like suspension.... No I agree there. It is mearly to set a standard in saying "these are not tolerable hits...No matter WHO YOU ARE".

Well, it's not like this hit went unpunished. To me I really don't think this hit deserves more discipline, it didn't seem to have the force and finish like the Ovechkin hit, and to me that's the difference between a 5 minute major and a 5 minute game misconduct(and suspension).

If you think this is identical to the Ovechkin hit then we'll just have to disagree, I just don't see the Hossa hit being as violent as Ovechkin's was.

#55 Hockeytown_Ryan

Hockeytown_Ryan

1st Line All-Star

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,806 posts

Posted 25 April 2010 - 11:14 AM

Well, it's not like this hit went unpunished. To me I really don't think this hit deserves more discipline, it didn't seem to have the force and finish like the Ovechkin hit, and to me that's the difference between a 5 minute major and a 5 minute game misconduct(and suspension).

If you think this is identical to the Ovechkin hit then we'll just have to disagree, I just don't see the Hossa hit being as violent as Ovechkin's was.

As Violent? No... It's the TYPE of hit that I don't like. and it needs to be discouraged at all costs. Should not let players take liberties like that just because of their "History"

#56 MidMichSteve

MidMichSteve

Thanks to #5

• HoF Booster
  • 4,239 posts

Posted 25 April 2010 - 11:15 AM

I'm not sure about Hossa.

Martin Erat should be suspendend for the remainder of the playoffs.

From now on, Patrick Roy will be rolled out to and from the Avs' bench like Hannibal Lecter. - BottleOfSmoke

#57 Travis

Travis

Hall-of-Famer

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,460 posts

Posted 25 April 2010 - 11:16 AM

The more of Carman's posts I read, the more I find us agreeing.

cc_champs-5_zps34057ff0.png

#58 Hockeytown_Ryan

Hockeytown_Ryan

1st Line All-Star

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,806 posts

Posted 25 April 2010 - 11:18 AM

The more of Carman's posts I read, the more I find us agreeing.

Scary aint it? :blink:

#59 Mr.Macphisto

Mr.Macphisto

Prospect

• 45 posts

Posted 25 April 2010 - 11:44 AM

Just like the Ovechkin hit, I really doubt Hossa meant any harm, but becuase Ovie was suspended for nearly the same sort of hit, Hossa should be too. Then again... it is the NHL, not very consistant with this sort of thing.

#60 Red Flying Wing

Red Flying Wing

Draftee

• 14 posts

Posted 25 April 2010 - 11:51 AM

Meuhh... He simply touched him and he lost balance. Maximum suspension would be 1 game. :thumbdown:
http://unn13.com/sop...yramidsmall.jpg

BIG BROTHER'S WATCHING YOU