• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

Sign in to follow this  
FunkedUp

1-16 Playoff Format

Rate this topic

What if the NHL adopted a 1-16 playoff format? The top 16 teams, regardless of division or conference, make the playoff and are seeded accordingly. This would get rid of stupid things like division leaders automatically getting a top 3 seed. It would also reward teams who got the most points, regardless of conference. According to the scheme, this is what the 2010 brackets would look like.

1. Washington

2. San Jose

3. Chicago

4. Phoenix

5. Vancouver

6. New Jersey

7. Detroit

8. Pittsburgh

9. LA

10. Nashville

11. Buffalo

12. Colorado

13. Ottawa

14. Boston

15. St. Louis

16. Calgary

First Round Match-ups:

Washington vs. Calgary

San Jose vs. St Louis

Chicago vs. Boston

Phoenix vs. Ottawa

Vancouver vs. Colorado

New Jersey vs. Buffalo

Detroit vs. Nashville

Pittsburgh vs. LA

What do you think?

Guest ToMaToToWnWinGsFaN_24

i thought i remember a thread like this brought up recently..?

was that you?

but yeah..i think it could work. but in all likelihood it wont ever happen. as much as i would love for it too.

I think this would have been great, more travel for the east teams, more competition for the east teams, and more exciting playoffs.

I know, I agree with this. Not to mention a Chicago vs. Boston first round match up :!:

I brought this up a couple of weeks ago, I really like the idea. Definitely levels the playing field in terms of travel. I also like the fact that no Stanley Cup finals matchup would be impossible, can have Mtl-Tor, Det-Chi,etc.

Guest Crymson

It's a good idea.

The chances of the NHL actually adopting any significant change to any significant rule or format is, however, zero. Bettman and Co cannot admit that anything about the rules or about the way that they handle things could be improved upon in any significant way.

I'ma go out on a limb here and say I'd like to see a little bit of NFL thrown in here. Even though I hate it. I'd love to see like a wildcard kind of thing, where there the 4 teams from 14-18 play a mini 3 game series or something weird like that.

I don't know. I'm just real real tired of this west-east thing. I'd love to see Calgary-Rangers in the first round. Or San Jose-Philly. Montreal-Detroit. Man that would be something else. Maybe alternate years or something.

BUT BUT, the problem then becomes, if their was no West team in the finals, ratings would plummet on the other coast, and vis-versa. Would you watch a Washington-New Jersy final? I don't know if I would. In fact I wouldn't even watch a Pittsburgh-Washington final. I don't give a crap about the east. And I'm sure many people agree. The West is where it's at, and I'd rather see ANY west team win the cup (EXCEPT CHICAGO!!!!!) then any eastern team.

But I do think that it would be fair for the 6 division winners to get the top 6 seeds.

Edited by TheOwl

I kind of like the novelty of having the champion from one conference face the champ from the other, but sometimes I feel us Westerners get screwed because I think our path is often tougher and were a bit more worn out once we get to the forth round.

I feel the same way, completely.

It's definitely more challenging to get out of the West, but I'm a Conference v. Conference kind of guy.

Given that the schedule is weighted in favor of division/conference, having 16 top point getters make the playoffs is unfair. The teams in more even/stronger divisions will be penalized, while a second team in a weak division will make the playoffs.

If the top teams in points make the playoffs, the schedule must be even, and division/conference format would need to be completely done away with.

Unless the current method of scheduling was totally revamped, this is a bad idea. A good team in a bad division (Washington), with an overbalanced number of games against weak teams (Atlanta, Tampa Bay & Florida) would have a much softer schedule that teams in stronger divisions.

What?

I think there are more leagues that don't have conferences than leagues that have them.

Basketball - Football - Baseball the other top 3 sports all have playoffs with in the divisions, or conferences.

If this were to be adopted would that not eliminate the WC Championship and EC Championship rounds....and trophies?

I like the way it is. You fight for the right to represent your conference in the Finals.

Basketball - Football - Baseball the other top 3 sports all have playoffs with in the divisions, or conferences.

If this were to be adopted would that not eliminate the WC Championship and EC Championship rounds....and trophies?

I like the way it is. You fight for the right to represent your conference in the Finals.

NHL is the one of the few ICE-HOCKEY leagues that have the conference system.

Given that the schedule is weighted in favor of division/conference, having 16 top point getters make the playoffs is unfair. The teams in more even/stronger divisions will be penalized, while a second team in a weak division will make the playoffs.

If the top teams in points make the playoffs, the schedule must be even, and division/conference format would need to be completely done away with.

Yes. You would have to completely do away with the idea of divisions if you adopted this format. I would kind of like that though because frankly playing the same teams 6 times a year when we only play Toronto once is ridiculous. It especially screws teams like Detroit, Nashville, and Columbus that are in the western conference but closer to all the eastern conference teams than we are to the west coast.

You mean the trophies that teams refuse to touch anyway because of superstision?

NHL is the one of the few ICE-HOCKEY leagues that have the conference system.

Sorry... I did not understand your complete intent there. Was un aware you were speaking on Hockey leagues.

You mean the trophies that teams refuse to touch anyway because of superstision?

True But they are considered in measuring a teams success. and a overall organizational pride. (AKA- they look good in the trophy case)

No thats not the only reason I like it the way it is... You battle to position yourself in the division for a reason.... and I think it makes the "Divisional Match-Ups" that much more exciting. Id rather our team battle to be top 8 in the division rather than just top 16 in the league.

Edited by Hockeytown_Ryan

Sorry... I did not understand your complete intent there. Was un aware you were speaking on Hockey leagues.

Well I think it makes more sense to compare hockey leagues with other hockey leagues rather than comparing them to totally different sports.

Well I think it makes more sense to compare hockey leagues with other hockey leagues rather than comparing them to totally different sports.

Maybe Not.. Would that Tigers / Minnesota game last year meant anything had they not had divisions or conferences.... No I dont think so... Football has divisions and they have a Wild card.. that game would not get ratings or money..THAT is what it is all about.

Teams in all leagues and sports DREAM of a divisional match up that means something at the end of the year, It generates a Buzz and gets the money making machine rolling.... (Us Fans Buy Tickets) And ticket sales are huge part of the business in ANY sport. like TV ratings as well..... Its all about the money and team exposure. Its not about what makes sense for players or fans they are in a business of making money.

There is nothing wrong with the way it is set up. During the regular season Id like to see more crossover east and west teams battling it out. This is just my OPINION. That's how I see it. I know I am in the minority ... and that's fine.. and nothing new.

I'd like to see them divide up conferences like Baseball and Football, so there would be an East, a Central, and a West division in each conference. I don't really know how it would all work out, but I would be in favor of that.

Edited by Dano33

I have been saying for a long time that the season schedule should be changed so that each team would play a home/away game against each team outside of your division. That would be 50 games. Play each team inside of your divison 8 times for 32 games. Don't have to add/subtract the amount of games played, the schedule would be more balanced, divisons would still mean something, and then the 1-16 playoff tournament would be feasible.

It would bring more excitement for fans, being able to see each team in your home rink, it would make the battle for the remaining playoff spots mean so much more, and would give new excitemnet to the playoffs, where many more matchup possibilities could playout.