• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

Guest DatsyukianDeke13

Fiddler says Refs favor us, Babcock has players skate on off day

Rate this topic

Guest DatsyukianDeke13

Yahoo Sports

TAYLOR, Mich. (AP)—The Detroit Red Wings did something for the first time during their streak of playing in 19 straight postseasons.

On a travel day before an afternoon game at home, the Red Wings got off a plane and practiced.

Detroit coach Mike Babcock made the unusual move because a week ago he chose to give his players rest after flying home from Phoenix. A lackluster effort the next day led to a Game 3 loss to the Coyotes.

“We didn’t win, so we’re doing something different,” Babcock said Saturday. “There isn’t one player on this team that wanted to put their equipment on, I can guarantee you that. I didn’t want to be here, either.

“The bottom line is, we’ve got to make sure our legs are ready to go. The last time we came back for an early game, we didn’t play very well.”

The Coyotes, meanwhile, opted to have off-ice workouts in the Motor City instead of skating on the travel day as they did a week ago.

“We thought that was our best approach,” Coyotes associate coach Ulf Samuelsson said.

Detroit will host Phoenix in Game 6 of the first-round series Sunday with a chance to advance. The Red Wings grabbed the series lead with third-period goals and Jimmy Howard’s(notes) goaltending. They outscored the Coyotes by a combined 7-1 in the back-to-back wins.

“Very important how we handle this and respond,” Babcock said on Saturday night in Arizona. “You don’t want to give them any life whatsoever. They’ve got a good team and good goaltending. We’d hate to tempt fate and have to come back here and win three games on the road.”

The two-time Western Conference champions have won nine playoff series, including the 2008 Stanley Cup finals, during the last three postseasons under Babcock.

Phoenix is 0-5 in the first round of the playoffs. The franchise hasn’t advanced since 1987, when it was the Winnipeg Jets.

Coyotes forward Vernon Fiddler(notes) said the Red Wings are taking advantage of the breaks they’re getting, such as scoring off his skate in Game 5.

“They’re the best team in the league for a reason,” Fiddler said. “They get a lot of respect from a lot of people, and the refs are especially one of them. We got to work for everything we get, and we’ve done it all year. No one has thrown us a bone all year and we don’t expect it now.”

The Coyotes have been without captain Shane Doan(notes) since his right shoulder took the brunt of a collision with the end boards in Game 3. Coyotes coach Dave Tippett said the team will wait until Sunday afternoon to decide if he will play in Game 6.

“It’s one thing when he has the desire to go, but he’s got to be functional to go,” Tippett said. “You can’t put a player in that can’t compete in the game, especially the way he plays. We’ll continue to monitor that. He gets better every day.”

Phoenix’s power play has gotten worse since scoring a third man-advantage goal in Game 1, going 0 for 19.

“Their penalty killing has been tremendous,” Samuelsson said. “They’re putting pressure on us, and Howard has made some big saves.”

Howard stopped 30 shots Saturday night and none seemed more important than the solid and spectacular saves he made against Martin Hanzal(notes) to keep it 1-all about 5 minutes into the third period.

“That’s one you can look back and say, that’s a turning point in the game,” Babcock said.

Maybe in the series, too.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Fiddler has no reason to bash the refs after his piss poor performance.

What a ******* moron.

true that piece of s*** gets away with a wicked boarding call and has the audacity to ***** about the refs.

Guest DatsyukianDeke13

What a ******* moron.

Agreed.

Honestly, I wouldn't be suprised if we blew Phx out. Players are making excuses (i.e. refs) and they have never been down in a series before. For most of them, this is the first elimination game they've played in. Look for experience to triumph.

No one had thrown the Yotes a bone all year? Ah, by the NHL buying the organization and keeping it in PHX is a pretty damn big bone, a mastodon bone actually.

Fiddler played pretty damn dirty this series and has no room to talk... Running a goalie and hitting from behind... Think there was a knee on knee somewhere in there also...

Edited by Rivalred

Guest DatsyukianDeke13

No one had thrown the Yotes a bone all year? Ah, by the NHL buying the organization and keeping it in PHX is a pretty damn big bone, a mastodon bone actually.

Fiddler played pretty damn dirty this series and has no room to talk... Running a goalie and hitting from behind... Think there was a knee on knee somewhere in there also...

:lol:

Agreed.

Honestly, I wouldn't be suprised if we blew Phx out. Players are making excuses (i.e. refs) and they have never been down in a series before. For most of them, this is the first elimination game they've played in. Look for experience to triumph.

I liked that article and the comment Fiddler made is moot. I love how Babcock made them practice, it's a little Herb Brooks of him :thumbup:

End it boys LETS GO WINGS :siren:

yeah, exactly... what a huge favour wings got on that Jovo goal...

wait, is Jovo playing in opposing team? I forgot, have had one too much shots of vodka yesterday...

GO WINGS!! Show your killer instinct!!

7-0 Wings!!!

Edited by ami

What a ******* moron.

What? Fiddler says referees favor us? oh my godness.... i'm curious what he can tell about the Penguins....

sorry mate,i'm italian...what's MORON??? :-)

Guest DatsyukianDeke13

What? Fiddler says referees favor us? oh my godness.... i'm curious what he can tell about the Penguins....

From the United States, to Sweden, to Italy, to Austrailia, the Red Wings have fans like no other :thumbup:

yeah, exactly... what a huge favour wings got on that Jovo goal...

wait, is Jovo playing in opposing team? I forgot, have had one too much shot of vodka yesterday...

GO WINGS!! Show your killer instinct!!

7-0 Wings!!!

calls happen...sometimes those "grey area" decisions favour you, sometimes not.

at least fiddler comment shows that there is no worldwide conspiration against of red wings as many idiots tend here to believe ( and after falling 1-2 behind here were many...)

I think this guy has taken one to many pucks to the head... To make a comment like that after game 5 in Glendale with the farce of a game the ref's called totally in the Yotes favor shows this guy is a clown! Book your vacation now Fiddler cause you and your crappy team is DONE

A moron is a simpleton, a buffoon, a fool. Someone that lacks any common sense and cannot function at a typical human level of intelligence.

It used to be a commonly accepted term for People with Down Syndrome or Mentally Retarded (also no longer accepted medically) persons with a mental age of 7 -12 years. It was also used as an acceptable term for someone with less than a 70 IQ score.