• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

Lonewuhf

Officiating (I know, another one of these...)

Rate this topic

I'm kind of wondering if the refs are watching different games than the rest of us. The Coyotes have had a huge amount of penalties against them yes, but with every one called there are 2 that aren't. They call every little thing against the wings, and it seems like they are trying to even up the penalties. This is absolutely ridiculous. If a team is doing things where they should be called, it should be called regardless of how many the other team has gotten. Now, if they'd just not call the majority of it that'd be better, but if they're gonna call the piddly little crap that they call on the Wings, then let obvious s*** go from the Coyotes, something is wrong.

Also, why did Abdelkader get a 10 min game misconduct and Morris did not? I see a lot of things that seems heavily like double standards.

Flame away.

Edit: In no way did the officiating lose us this game, because our defense was absolutely atrocious, and Howard was a again mediocre at best, but it sure seems like rubbing salt in the wound.

Edited by Lonewuhf

Early penalties are the easiest to kill. Your team is still fresh.

So when penalties fall like they did tonight, it always favors the team that took them early.

I don't have the exact statistic, but it was something like 17% of PP's in the first period score, 19% in the second, and 24% in the third.

Do note, those are NOT the actual percentages. But it was something similar to that.

Doesn't help that Wings took 5 penalties in a row, all after they were already down a goal.

The officials know what they're doing. I'm not a conspiracy theorist, but we see it every year....

Edited by Joseph Franks

The officials know what they're doing. I'm not a conspiracy theorist, but we see it every year....

True, but calling a penalty simply because the other team has had more even if the "penalty" was as piddly as some that were called is making the officiating look pathetic. Call a penalty because a penalty happened, not because the other team has more.

Guest Shoreline

The refs clearly threw this game. It couldn't possibly be the Wings losing it for themselves. If the Wings don't go 82-0 during the season and 16-0 in the playoffs, the playoffs is obviously thrown.

The refs clearly threw this game. It couldn't possibly be the Wings losing it for themselves. If the Wings don't go 82-0 during the season and 16-0 in the playoffs, the playoffs is obviously thrown.

Ready comprehension is good to learn. Re-read my first post then reply, but think first.

True, but calling a penalty simply because the other team has had more even if the "penalty" was as piddly as some that were called is making the officiating look pathetic. Call a penalty because a penalty happened, not because the other team has more.

Oh, I agree, and that's part of my point.

They call 3 early on Phoenix.....phoenix kills them off, then they call five in a row on us....."To even it out".

I fully agree that it's bulls***. But it's been like this since I started watching hockey over 15 years ago.

In any game....there are literally dozens of plays that could be called, that are not called. The Refs have the freedom to pick and choose, and in doing so, they CAN and DO help to influence the flow of a game for better or worse.

It's no "coincidence" that penalties usually end up relatively even in EACH AND EVERY single game in the NHL. To even pretend that every team does exactly the same amount of bad things in every game....is ridiculous.

The bottom line in officiating is not WHAT they call....but how and when they choose to call it. And in this modern day world of hockey, the Refs do tend to make calls not based around fairness....but instead based around putting on the best show.....ie getting the best ratings. That's not entirely it, of course. Teams still win or lose despite officiating.....but the refs can certainly make it easier or harder at the snap of a finger.

we didn't score on a 5-on-3. they scored short-handed and on three powerplays. they way we were playing, we could have had five more powerplays and the net result would have been us getting one more goal scored on us. stop making excuses.

we didn't score on a 5-on-3. they scored short-handed and on three powerplays. they way we were playing, we could have had five more powerplays and the net result would have been us getting one more goal scored on us. stop making excuses.

MY GOD, READ MY ORIGINAL POST. I agree we lost this for ourselves, but like I said, calling the s*** they did just to make the penalties even was just rubbing salt in the wound.

Flame away after you read my entire post. He posted a sarcastic comment that I had already addressed solely to be a dick, thus a "prick" response was warranted.

Chances are good he did, in fact, read your entire post. Then he used hyperbole and sarcasm to show you are a complete idiot. Your inability to realize this reinforces it.

Chances are good he did, in fact, read your entire post. Then he used hyperbole and sarcasm to show you are a complete idiot. Your inability to realize this reinforces it.

He very obviously didn't read my entire post, nor did he read many/any of the responses. Your personal attacks over a forum post are not only immature, but shows you have no place on these boards. I very clearly admitted that this loss wasn't because of the refs, and that they lost it for themselves, however I saw things that I personally did not agree with, so I made a topic here to see if it was simply me overlooking things, or if my intuition seemed correct. The responses from the civil posters here seem to agree with my statements, your immaturity just makes you look like an asshat. Chicago boards are that way ----> Take your s*** posts over there where they belong.

Also, the -3 rep for my original post which was simply an opinion looking for other people's opinion seriously makes me want to stop posting here. I left the 'official' boards because the immaturity and the huge amount of bandwagon fans. I came here because it seemed (outside of a few posters) to be mature forums. I'm second guessing myself now.

Edited by Lonewuhf

I don't have a problem with the Power Plays being even. It's nothing new, it's been that way for years.

Personally I've had no complaints with the officiating this series.

Edited by Barrie

He very obviously didn't read my entire post, nor did he read many/any of the responses. Your personal attacks over a forum post are not only immature, but shows you have no place on these boards. I very clearly admitted that this loss wasn't because of the refs, and that they lost it for themselves, however I saw things that I personally did not agree with, so I made a topic here to see if it was simply me overlooking things, or if my intuition seemed correct. The responses from the civil posters here seem to agree with my statements, your immaturity just makes you look like an asshat. Chicago boards are that way ----> Take your s*** posts over there where they belong.

Also, the -3 rep for my original post which was simply an opinion looking for other people's opinion seriously makes me want to stop posting here. I left the 'official' boards because the immaturity and the huge amount of bandwagon fans. I came here because it seemed (outside of a few posters) to be mature forums. I'm second guessing myself now.

I've been second guessing you, too.

This game - like each of our three losses this season - we lost on our own. We didn't bring it for anything close to 60 minutes, and although we may not have deserved to be blown out like that, we certainly did deserve to lose.

With that said, refereeing in this league (and I mean the ENTIRE league) is embarrassingly poor, easily the worst of any of the professional sports that I watch on a frequent basis. There is no conspiracy, just ineptitude.

You made a thread complaining about officiating after a loss. Regardless of whatever modifying statements you put in, that is what it is, and the responses you got are typical of that.

I knew once the wings had all those PP's in a row they were not going to give them anymore. The yotes played the "they can't possibly call of these penalties on us"card. The same card as the ducks :hehe: If you watch CCHA hockey you will know of a ref named Shegos. You know when one team gets a PP the other team is going to receive the next PP (She goes both ways :lol: ).

I don't blame the refs for this game 6 loss, but I will say that there's definitely something to the way they are calling games. THey are not calling them objectively. They always try to even it out, so what's the benefit of being a disciplined team? The disciplined team may get 3-4 power plays, but no matter how disciplined you are, the refs are going to look for ticky tack (any reason) calls to go against you and even it out. It's really pathetic if you ask me, and is a way of tampering with the game.

I don't think the teams are as even as it appears in the playoffs this year, and I think the refs have also called the games in such a way as to keep every game within a goal. Of course, game 6 was the exception in my opinion. We didn't get any calls until it was out of hand.

The bottom line in officiating is not WHAT they call....but how and when they choose to call it.

This is spot on. Obviously refs try to give both teams a fairly even amount of PPs but what doesn't show up on the stat sheet is when those PPs occur. Momentum changing penalties and 3rd period powerplays are huge. Not to mention how many times you see 3 or 4 penalties go against one team and then while on a PP the refs make an evening up call and the teams play 4 on 4 for a minute and a half so the other team gets a 30 second PP. How and WHEN matters most.

Flame away after you read my entire post. He posted a sarcastic comment that I had already addressed solely to be a dick, thus a "prick" response was warranted.

You don't get the idea of "flaming", do you. With flame there are no rules. No decorum. No class. That's why it's called "flame".Flamers have license to hate. If you call for a flamefest , then try to control it, you are wrong.

thumb_IBTL-Trinity.jpg