• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

Sign in to follow this  
Wings_Dynasty

Rafalski or Schneider

Rate this topic

Better for the WIngs PP  

116 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

need that right-handed shot from the point.

I don't get this.

Lidstrom plays the left point, Rafalski plays the right. They're clearly not on those points for their shot, or it would be reversed, with Lids on the right and Raffi on the left. You ask why?

A shooter is more dangerous from the point on the off-side. It's a clean, straight-on shot coming at the net. Left-on-left and right-on-right is for playmaking, to allow the D to cycle back and forth with forehand passes while keeping their backs to the neutral zone and sticks along the boards.

Babcock may be obsessed with his perfect PP system, but to come back to reality it doesn't matter worth a s*** whether your defenseman is left-handed or right-handed on the point on the PP. The only time that shooting hand has an effect in general is when you are talking about passing on the rush, such as between wingers. It's why Yzerman's scoring winger was typically played on his left side; because he is a righty. It's one thing that makes Adam Oates unusual; he played with and had a noticable effect on many skilled scoring right wingers, but he himself was a right hander.

But regardless, the only time your shooting hand really matters is when you are shooting on the goalie or crashing the net; it's times like these where a one might score a goal in the same situation the other would not be able to get to the puck in time (a loose puck by the post, skater at the top of the crease?), or perhaps different shooting angles would result in one being able to score over the other. That's it. There's no "strategic" situation you can really play that has any significant effect. A left-hander on the right point can effectively cycle with a lefty on the left point. It's not a significant issue.

And one of those games was last night. And Phoenix won. And their PP was awesome and Schneider was a big reason for that.

Well, he definitely contributed on the score sheet. My point is, it was one game. I mean, would you retract your statement if Rafalski scores the GWG Tuesday or even a single goal that results into a win? I'm having a hard time wrapping around your reason for wanting him over Rafalski.

Well, he definitely contributed on the score sheet. My point is, it was one game. I mean, would you retract your statement if Rafalski scores the GWG Tuesday or even a single goal that results into a win? I'm having a hard time wrapping around your reason for wanting him over Rafalski.

1. hard shot

2. uses it

3. throws an occasional hit

4. salary

5. doesn't eat up ice time that a better player could have simply because it is the general consensus that since he makes 6 million dollars and has 3 Cups that he is better at his job than a player that can do everything he does and occasionally throw a hit at half the price

6. has better understanding of when it is OK to pinch

Rafalski has been terrible this series' date=' Schneider has not.[/quote']

In the 2 games Schneider played against the 6 Rafalski played? You can't even compare it fairly. I'd take Rafalski any day of the week. Him and Lidstrom have a good thing going.

Plus it's too hard to watch hockey with Schneider playing. His eyebrows cover my whole screen.

Edited by MCleveland89

I don't get this.

Lidstrom plays the left point, Rafalski plays the right. They're clearly not on those points for their shot, or it would be reversed, with Lids on the right and Raffi on the left. You ask why?

A shooter is more dangerous from the point on the off-side. It's a clean, straight-on shot coming at the net. Left-on-left and right-on-right is for playmaking, to allow the D to cycle back and forth with forehand passes while keeping their backs to the neutral zone and sticks along the boards.

Babcock may be obsessed with his perfect PP system, but to come back to reality it doesn't matter worth a s*** whether your defenseman is left-handed or right-handed on the point on the PP. The only time that shooting hand has an effect in general is when you are talking about passing on the rush, such as between wingers. It's why Yzerman's scoring winger was typically played on his left side; because he is a righty. It's one thing that makes Adam Oates unusual; he played with and had a noticable effect on many skilled scoring right wingers, but he himself was a right hander.

But regardless, the only time your shooting hand really matters is when you are shooting on the goalie or crashing the net; it's times like these where a one might score a goal in the same situation the other would not be able to get to the puck in time (a loose puck by the post, skater at the top of the crease?), or perhaps different shooting angles would result in one being able to score over the other. That's it. There's no "strategic" situation you can really play that has any significant effect. A left-hander on the right point can effectively cycle with a lefty on the left point. It's not a significant issue.

I don't see how it isn't beneficial to have a right-hander and a left-hander out there. One-timers are key on power plays and when Rafalski and Lidstrom switch it gives each of them a possibility to take it. You're right to question me when I say they need the right-hander out there, but I think it's still an advantage over having two lefties, even if it is slight.

Guest Crymson

1. hard shot

2. uses it

3. throws an occasional hit

4. salary

5. doesn't eat up ice time that a better player could have simply because it is the general consensus that since he makes 6 million dollars and has 3 Cups that he is better at his job than a player that can do everything he does and occasionally throw a hit at half the price

6. has better understanding of when it is OK to pinch

1) Inaccurate shot that was lucky enough to go off a Red Wing today

2) Uses it too much

3) Rarely hits anyone

4) Is way overpaid for what he brings to the table

5) Is totally useless defensively, cannot move the puck, skates poorly, and in general has nothing going for him besides his shot; is one-dimensional to an almost complete extent

6) Does not pinch in; stays at the point and shoots and does nothing else.

You're daft.

Rafalski has been terrible this series, Schneider has not.

Rafalaski has played 23 minutes per game in 6 games as the top pairing guy against the other teams top lines.

Schneider was basically kicked of the Nucks before being picked up off the scrap heap by the Yotes, and has played a total of 28 minutes in two games 15:44 of which was on the powerplay. He has one goal in his two shots on net.

And you guys seriously would replace Rafalski with Schneider?

I know the grass is always greener, but good lord.

Edited by haroldsnepsts

Guest mindfly

Hey hey an injured rafalski doesn't help anything either... atleast schneider can score from the blueline

I always liked Schneider, I think they're very similar players (offensive talent over defensive responsibility). I just wish Rafalski wasn't such a ***** in the corners, he's constantly out-muscled, whereas Schneider was (at the time) capable of playing with a chip on his shoulder.

Guest EZBAKETHAGANGSTA

And people wonder why online sports forums lack credibility...

I always liked Schneider, I think they're very similar players (offensive talent over defensive responsibility). I just wish Rafalski wasn't such a ***** in the corners, he's constantly out-muscled, whereas Schneider was (at the time) capable of playing with a chip on his shoulder.

agreed. rafalski has been giving the puck away alot because he's afraid to get hit by much larger opponents. at this point i would rather get rid of rafalski's overpaid $6 million salary, scrap schneider completely....throw the equipment back on jiri fischer.

man i wish that was an option!

just had an interesting thought though...i wonder how drew miller would do on defense?? he looks more like a defenseman on the wing to me.

more on topic...i guess rafalski.

Guest Lidstromboli

i'd definitely take schneids after his dominating performance today