• Please log in to reply
48 replies to this topic

#21 F.Michael

F.Michael

Old School Dynamic Duo

• HoF Booster
  • 7,735 posts

Posted 25 April 2010 - 08:31 PM

Rafalski is better overall. Schneider is more dangerous on the Powerplay.

Schneider may have the better shot, but IMHO Rafalski does more with the puck than just blasting away at the net like Schneider.

With the addition of Rafalski our pp improved a fair amount.

I did not like Schneider. I often thought he shot too much, instead of sometimes looking for a set-up that could lead to a better scoring chance. People give Rafalski too much s*** around here and he does make some mistakes, but I think he is the perfect partner for Lidstrom on the power play. Wrist shots are much more accurate and easier to deflect and it goes along well with Lidstrom being the slap shot guy on the other side. I wish they would leave Rafalski out for the whole 2 minutes on the power play because we need that right-handed shot from the point.

Bottom line is, Rafalski is not our problem. He wasn't today and he hasn't been since he's been here. Maybe he isn't worth 6 mil, but overall I think he has been very good for us.

Spot on post :thumbup:

'Evolution' created by Offsides

#22 zettie85

zettie85

Selke Candidate

• HoF Booster
  • 1,777 posts

Posted 25 April 2010 - 08:39 PM

I wish there was a "neither" option.
Posted Image
Thanks TeeMan!

#23 cupforwings

cupforwings

1st Line All-Star

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,097 posts

Posted 25 April 2010 - 08:44 PM

Easy, Rafalski.

#24 Broken 16

Broken 16

Bonecrushing Blueliner

• Gold Booster
  • 2,959 posts

Posted 25 April 2010 - 09:15 PM

The guys scores a powerplay goal after riding pine for god knows how long... and all the sudden he is better than Rafalski. Lol, this thread is rich.

Edited by Broken 16, 25 April 2010 - 09:15 PM.

#25 mjlegend

mjlegend

1st Line All-Star

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,903 posts

Posted 25 April 2010 - 09:29 PM

yeah

Yeah, but that was two lockouts ago. I think his teammates that year included Dollard St. Laurent and Jean-Guy Talbot. At some point, if you haven't won in the last 17 years as a player, the case starts to get stacked against you being a money d-man. Three teams have completely given up on his since the lockout - four, actually, if you count the Wings not re-signing him. Am I being clear?

Schneider doesn't have the full game anymore. He spent most of the season in the AHL and until this afternoon, he really wasn't very good at all in the previous two games in the series.

#26 brett

brett

Legend

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,082 posts

Posted 25 April 2010 - 10:28 PM

me no like elfs

#27 eva unit zero

eva unit zero

Save the Princess...Save the World

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 12,734 posts

Posted 25 April 2010 - 11:03 PM

need that right-handed shot from the point.

I don't get this.

Lidstrom plays the left point, Rafalski plays the right. They're clearly not on those points for their shot, or it would be reversed, with Lids on the right and Raffi on the left. You ask why?

A shooter is more dangerous from the point on the off-side. It's a clean, straight-on shot coming at the net. Left-on-left and right-on-right is for playmaking, to allow the D to cycle back and forth with forehand passes while keeping their backs to the neutral zone and sticks along the boards.

Babcock may be obsessed with his perfect PP system, but to come back to reality it doesn't matter worth a s*** whether your defenseman is left-handed or right-handed on the point on the PP. The only time that shooting hand has an effect in general is when you are talking about passing on the rush, such as between wingers. It's why Yzerman's scoring winger was typically played on his left side; because he is a righty. It's one thing that makes Adam Oates unusual; he played with and had a noticable effect on many skilled scoring right wingers, but he himself was a right hander.

But regardless, the only time your shooting hand really matters is when you are shooting on the goalie or crashing the net; it's times like these where a one might score a goal in the same situation the other would not be able to get to the puck in time (a loose puck by the post, skater at the top of the crease?), or perhaps different shooting angles would result in one being able to score over the other. That's it. There's no "strategic" situation you can really play that has any significant effect. A left-hander on the right point can effectively cycle with a lefty on the left point. It's not a significant issue.

"I've never seen a warlock do that without his magic."
"I once devoured a monk's soul. It tasted like chocolate."

#28 Wings_Dynasty

Wings_Dynasty

The Greatest Ever

• HoF Booster
  • 3,816 posts

Posted 26 April 2010 - 12:31 AM

All I am trying to say is that when Schneider is in their lineup, their PP is better than ours simply because Rafalski lacks a point shot.

Current LGW Whippin' Boy: Referees

HTBanner400x100.jpg

#29 I Red Wings I

I Red Wings I

Holy mackerel!

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,024 posts

Posted 26 April 2010 - 12:46 AM

All I am trying to say is that when Schneider is in their lineup, their PP is better than ours simply because Rafalski lacks a point shot.

Yeah but, Schneider has played two games this series

#30 Wings_Dynasty

Wings_Dynasty

The Greatest Ever

• HoF Booster
  • 3,816 posts

Posted 26 April 2010 - 12:50 AM

Yeah but, Schneider has played two games this series

And one of those games was last night. And Phoenix won. And their PP was awesome and Schneider was a big reason for that.

HTBanner400x100.jpg

#31 I Red Wings I

I Red Wings I

Holy mackerel!

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,024 posts

Posted 26 April 2010 - 12:58 AM

And one of those games was last night. And Phoenix won. And their PP was awesome and Schneider was a big reason for that.

Well, he definitely contributed on the score sheet. My point is, it was one game. I mean, would you retract your statement if Rafalski scores the GWG Tuesday or even a single goal that results into a win? I'm having a hard time wrapping around your reason for wanting him over Rafalski.

#32 deltawing

deltawing

GO RED WINGS!

• Gold Booster
  • 153 posts

Posted 26 April 2010 - 01:01 AM

This thread is PATHETIC, lol.

He has a good game against us and you want to abandon our second best defenseman?
Sergeant Rathbun - USMC
Operation Iraqi Freedom 05-07 Oct 06 - Apr 07
http://www.last.fm/user/deltawing12

#33 kylee

kylee

Hall-of-Famer

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,466 posts

Posted 26 April 2010 - 01:24 AM

Raffi now and forever

#34 Wings_Dynasty

Wings_Dynasty

The Greatest Ever

• HoF Booster
  • 3,816 posts

Posted 26 April 2010 - 01:33 AM

Well, he definitely contributed on the score sheet. My point is, it was one game. I mean, would you retract your statement if Rafalski scores the GWG Tuesday or even a single goal that results into a win? I'm having a hard time wrapping around your reason for wanting him over Rafalski.

1. hard shot
2. uses it
3. throws an occasional hit
4. salary
5. doesn't eat up ice time that a better player could have simply because it is the general consensus that since he makes 6 million dollars and has 3 Cups that he is better at his job than a player that can do everything he does and occasionally throw a hit at half the price
6. has better understanding of when it is OK to pinch

HTBanner400x100.jpg

#35 MCleveland89

MCleveland89

2nd Line Scorer

• PipPipPip
  • 708 posts

Posted 26 April 2010 - 01:38 AM

Rafalski has been terrible this series, Schneider has not.

In the 2 games Schneider played against the 6 Rafalski played? You can't even compare it fairly. I'd take Rafalski any day of the week. Him and Lidstrom have a good thing going.

Plus it's too hard to watch hockey with Schneider playing. His eyebrows cover my whole screen.

Edited by MCleveland89, 26 April 2010 - 05:20 AM.

#36 Dano33

Dano33

1st Line Sniper

• PipPipPipPip
  • 920 posts

Posted 26 April 2010 - 01:40 AM

I don't get this.

Lidstrom plays the left point, Rafalski plays the right. They're clearly not on those points for their shot, or it would be reversed, with Lids on the right and Raffi on the left. You ask why?

A shooter is more dangerous from the point on the off-side. It's a clean, straight-on shot coming at the net. Left-on-left and right-on-right is for playmaking, to allow the D to cycle back and forth with forehand passes while keeping their backs to the neutral zone and sticks along the boards.

Babcock may be obsessed with his perfect PP system, but to come back to reality it doesn't matter worth a s*** whether your defenseman is left-handed or right-handed on the point on the PP. The only time that shooting hand has an effect in general is when you are talking about passing on the rush, such as between wingers. It's why Yzerman's scoring winger was typically played on his left side; because he is a righty. It's one thing that makes Adam Oates unusual; he played with and had a noticable effect on many skilled scoring right wingers, but he himself was a right hander.

But regardless, the only time your shooting hand really matters is when you are shooting on the goalie or crashing the net; it's times like these where a one might score a goal in the same situation the other would not be able to get to the puck in time (a loose puck by the post, skater at the top of the crease?), or perhaps different shooting angles would result in one being able to score over the other. That's it. There's no "strategic" situation you can really play that has any significant effect. A left-hander on the right point can effectively cycle with a lefty on the left point. It's not a significant issue.

I don't see how it isn't beneficial to have a right-hander and a left-hander out there. One-timers are key on power plays and when Rafalski and Lidstrom switch it gives each of them a possibility to take it. You're right to question me when I say they need the right-hander out there, but I think it's still an advantage over having two lefties, even if it is slight.
"I can't believe I shook this guy's friggen hand." -Dino Ciccarelli

"Don't think, just play." -Curtis Granderson, always a Tiger

#37 Crymson

Crymson

Ninjelephant

• Gold Booster
  • 11,032 posts

Posted 26 April 2010 - 03:06 AM

1. hard shot
2. uses it
3. throws an occasional hit
4. salary
5. doesn't eat up ice time that a better player could have simply because it is the general consensus that since he makes 6 million dollars and has 3 Cups that he is better at his job than a player that can do everything he does and occasionally throw a hit at half the price
6. has better understanding of when it is OK to pinch

1) Inaccurate shot that was lucky enough to go off a Red Wing today
2) Uses it too much
3) Rarely hits anyone
4) Is way overpaid for what he brings to the table
5) Is totally useless defensively, cannot move the puck, skates poorly, and in general has nothing going for him besides his shot; is one-dimensional to an almost complete extent
6) Does not pinch in; stays at the point and shoots and does nothing else.

You're daft.

#38 mindfly

mindfly

GRRRRR

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,170 posts

Posted 26 April 2010 - 03:11 AM

Schneider easily since Rafalski is playing injured and sucks atm

#39 haroldsnepsts

haroldsnepsts

"Classy"

• HoF Booster Mod
  • 17,134 posts

Posted 26 April 2010 - 08:39 AM

Rafalski has been terrible this series, Schneider has not.

Rafalaski has played 23 minutes per game in 6 games as the top pairing guy against the other teams top lines.

Schneider was basically kicked of the Nucks before being picked up off the scrap heap by the Yotes, and has played a total of 28 minutes in two games 15:44 of which was on the powerplay. He has one goal in his two shots on net.

And you guys seriously would replace Rafalski with Schneider?

I know the grass is always greener, but good lord.

Edited by haroldsnepsts, 26 April 2010 - 08:40 AM.

#40 mindfly

mindfly

GRRRRR

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,170 posts

Posted 26 April 2010 - 08:44 AM

Hey hey an injured rafalski doesn't help anything either... atleast schneider can score from the blueline