Here

Holland is a damn good GM. period.

#22 Pavrik Zettersyuk

Pavrik Zettersyuk

4th Line Grinder

• PipPip
  • 205 posts

Posted 27 April 2010 - 10:14 AM

I was just about to make a topic about this.

Yeah, if Montreal upsets Washington, I think the Pens would make it back to the finals. Especially since that would make their second round opponent the Habs, who although they stand poised to upset the Caps, I honestly don't think they could do it to the Pens.

Our best chance of seeing the Pens golfing early, is them facing the Flyers in the Conference Finals. How would we feel about the Flyers if the Wings made it to their 3rd cup finals in a row? I personally feel like the Wings can take on any opponent, but obviously that doesn't guaruntee them a win (last years game 7 wound hasn't healed).

I just would hate to see the Pens in the finals, poised to repeat a year after the Wings couldn't get it done. You know we'd never hear the end of it as fans, if this nightmare transpired.

#23 RememberStevieY

RememberStevieY

Top Prospect

• Pip
  • 62 posts

Posted 27 April 2010 - 10:34 AM

First we need to focus on tonight. I don't know if it's been mentioned yet but here is a stat I found. Detroit is 12-8 all-time in Game 7s, while the Winnipeg/Phoenix franchise has lost all four times in this situation. Link to article here.
The Order of the Paradox

The most regular season wins, post season wins, division titles, conference titles and 4 Stanley Cups in a little over a decade spells d-y-n-a-s-t-y;

#24 xtrememachine1

xtrememachine1

1st Line All-Star

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,427 posts

Posted 27 April 2010 - 10:54 AM

I just would hate to see the Pens in the finals, poised to repeat a year after the Wings couldn't get it done. You know we'd never hear the end of it as fans, if this nightmare transpired.

If the Caps blow Game 7, the Pens will have a free trip to the Finals, pretty much like last year when two of the top 3 seeds got knocked out before the Pens could face them.

I wouldn't mind seeing Pens vs Wings III. Complete the trilogy and like all good trilogies, the good guys win the first one, the bad guys always win the second one and the good guys finish it off with a final decisive win. Could you imagine the Wings winning the Cup in the final game at Mellon Arena? HA!!

#25 GMRwings1983

GMRwings1983

The Killer is Me

• Silver Booster
  • 20,728 posts

Posted 27 April 2010 - 11:35 AM

At this point, I'm not too sure that Washington could beat Pittsburgh.

The Pens are a more complete team than Washington, despite what happened between them in the regular season. The Caps just look like total s*** right now.

If the Caps blow Game 7, the Pens will have a free trip to the Finals, pretty much like last year when two of the top 3 seeds got knocked out before the Pens could face them.

I wouldn't mind seeing Pens vs Wings III. Complete the trilogy and like all good trilogies, the good guys win the first one, the bad guys always win the second one and the good guys finish it off with a final decisive win. Could you imagine the Wings winning the Cup in the final game at Mellon Arena? HA!!

The way the Wings are playing right now, we'd be lucky to make it to the second round.
According to my profile, my reputation is excellent. LOL.

#26 NeverForgetMac25

NeverForgetMac25

Kate: Jr. Wing Nut

• Gold Booster Mod
  • 18,184 posts

Posted 27 April 2010 - 12:21 PM

i would love to see Boston and Detroit play for the cup. atleast if detroit was to lose that series it wouldn't sting like losing to the pens.

just wait until next year with hopefully a healthy savard and the addition of most likely seguin.

So would the league! That would be a ratings dream for the NHL.
It's amazing how much clarity comes when you care more about the Red Wings than any individual player.

"They are the best team in the world. They are a team that can just take over when they want to," Chicago's Patrick Kane said (of the Detroit Red Wings).

#27 Crymson

Crymson

Ninjelephant

• Gold Booster
  • 11,032 posts

Posted 27 April 2010 - 12:51 PM

I had a dream that the Wings won the Cup. Dreams are nonsense, but I know this one is true :P

#28 scottj

scottj

2nd Line Scorer

• PipPipPip
  • 644 posts

Posted 27 April 2010 - 01:09 PM

Could you imagine the Wings winning the Cup in the final game at Mellon Arena? HA!!

I would totally get a boner if that happened and maybe even cream my pants

#29 stevkrause

stevkrause

Legend

• Bronze Booster
  • 5,236 posts

Posted 27 April 2010 - 01:11 PM

I would totally get a boner if that happened and maybe even cream my pants

Lets not look ahead of ourselves, we're not even out of the first round and if they play like they did last game, they won't be doing anything but golfing this off season... they need a big effort tonight...

All I have to say about Holland and our off-season:

Here in this thread

Here in this one as well

Here in this one too

and finally

Here

#30 scottj

scottj

2nd Line Scorer

• PipPipPip
  • 644 posts

Posted 27 April 2010 - 01:13 PM

hey i'm not playing for the red wings... i'll look ahead of em all i want :cool:

#31 Z Winged Dangler

Z Winged Dangler

Part 3: Return of the Hammer Hands

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,198 posts

Posted 27 April 2010 - 01:18 PM

Lets not look ahead of ourselves, we're not even out of the first round and if they play like they did last game, they won't be doing anything but golfing this off season... they need a big effort tonight...

exactly...i for one am not too optimistic right now. thef****** game needs to start already with a good hard nosed start by the wings to calm my nerves a bit. i couldn't sleep worth s*** last night!

"I play hockey, but I am not very good.  Can someone please tell me what it would take to sign with the Wings ? I can use a million or two."  ~ arag

Dan Cleary is an Xbox 360.  While good for a while, it's time for the new generation to take over.

#32 stevkrause

stevkrause

Legend

• Bronze Booster
  • 5,236 posts

Posted 27 April 2010 - 01:29 PM

exactly...i for one am not too optimistic right now. thef****** game needs to start already with a good hard nosed start by the wings to calm my nerves a bit. i couldn't sleep worth s*** last night!

I agree... I've been uneasy as hell all day... I think I'm going to need a beer as soon as I get home just to calm down...

All I have to say about Holland and our off-season:

Here in this thread

Here in this one as well

Here in this one too

and finally

Here

#33 scottj

scottj

2nd Line Scorer

• PipPipPip
  • 644 posts

Posted 27 April 2010 - 01:32 PM

I've been calm today for some reason... last year before game 7 I was at work n reading about the teams all day n I was sweating just thinkin about it

I dunno, I've got faith in our vets and our experience this time around... if we don't win it tonight, then we don't deserve to get to the second round WHODA THUNK IT?

#34 MacK_Attack

MacK_Attack

Old School

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,676 posts

Posted 27 April 2010 - 01:36 PM

I'm not sold on Philly. I just can't see Bobby Boucher (yes, I know his name is Brian - I don't care :P) keeping up that level of play against a team that actually tries to score.

#35 NGKEIB

NGKEIB

eltit rebmem motsuC

• PipPipPipPip
  • 780 posts

Posted 27 April 2010 - 01:50 PM

I'm not sold on Philly. I just can't see Bobby Boucher (yes, I know his name is Brian - I don't care :P) keeping up that level of play against a team that actually tries to score.

Don't forget that they also lost Gagné and Carter...
"Summa pia gratia nostra conservando corpora et custodita, de gente fera Normannica nos libera, quae nostra vastat, Deus, regna."

#36 Trapt1307

Trapt1307

Tootoo + Hem = Win

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,043 posts

Posted 27 April 2010 - 02:15 PM

The sad thing is, if Pittsburgh were in the West, I'd be shocked if they got out of the second round. Instead, they're getting a cakewalk to the Finals for the third straight year. The only legit team they've played in the East the last three years was Washington last year.
"Scotty hated the world and treated everybody the same, from me to Steve Yzerman,'' Legace said. ''Scotty would rip anybody, and had the personality of ant."

#37 mmamolo

mmamolo

1st Line All-Star

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,809 posts

Posted 27 April 2010 - 03:06 PM

Even if Washington gets passed Montreal, which is far from certain, Pittsburgh is all but guarenteed to go to the finals.

Philly - without Carter and Gagne won't have the offence to keep up and Boucher can only do so much
Boston - Rask and their d can only contain pitts for so long until their lack of scoring eventualyl does them in
Wash - their PP has been their down fall and even if they advance and their PP kicks in the lack of production from Semin and Green stings. Their D wont be able to contain the Pens and will be exposed just as they were last year.
Mtl - if they win and somehow magically their offence continues on this hot streak (which is unlikely) their D will get exposed (as it should have, and has at times, against Wash).

It pains me to say but the Pens are walking to the finals because the East is so disgustingly weak.
Posted Imagewww.unsportsmanlike.ca

#38 Free_Candy

Free_Candy

Rookie

• Pip
  • 133 posts

Posted 27 April 2010 - 04:05 PM

You do realize that all this sudden talk of the Pens being the favorite out of the east means we'll s*** the bed, get some freak injuries and be done. :unsure:

In all seriousness though, nothing is guaranteed. I think the Devils would have been the worst matchup out of anyone for the Pens, for whatever reason, Lemaire and Marty completely sat on us and suffocated us all year. We could score on the Caps this year, but never the Devils. I still don't like to count the Caps out because they're so dangerous and talented when they're on, but going to 7 this early on and lack of deep playoff experience does hurt them and make them more beatable than before.

But anything could still happen, my biggest concern in general is them being able to stay healthy. Ever since 93 I've learned to never assume or take anything for granted, it doesn't take much to change an entire series.

Edited by Free_Candy, 27 April 2010 - 04:37 PM.

"It's a great day for hockey." -- Badger

#39 Lidstromboli

Lidstromboli

buncha geezers

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,454 posts

Posted 27 April 2010 - 04:44 PM

eastern conf is way better than the western conf

Posted Image

#40 Free_Candy

Free_Candy

Rookie