• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

Sign in to follow this  
newfy

Toughness Thread

Rate this topic

Ok I think I've noticed something about ourw ings this year that I haven't said most years come playoff time. But where is the toughness? Last year by this time Kronwall had about 4 victims, Stuart had absolutely killed Umberger, Helm was a wrecking ball and even Datsyuk was throwing around the body. This year we have Abdelkader playing the body hard and thats it.

I think this is a big reason why we're going to a game 7 in a series that should've taken 6 at the most.

Thoughts?

Oh and just to be clear I'm only talking about gritty, hard hitting hockey. I couldn't care less about fighting in the playoffs.

Im pretty sure Darren Helm is leading the league in hits this playoffs.

He might be but ahit for the NHL is using the body to seperate a guy from the puck. Last year he seemed like he had a big hit once a period, this year he's looked like he's trying to play a more skilled game almost.

Ok I think I've noticed something about ourw ings this year that I haven't said most years come playoff time. But where is the toughness? Last year by this time Kronwall had about 4 victims, Stuart had absolutely killed Umberger, Helm was a wrecking ball and even Datsyuk was throwing around the body. This year we have Abdelkader playing the body hard and thats it.

I think this is a big reason why we're going to a game 7 in a series that should've taken 6 at the most.

Thoughts?

Oh and just to be clear I'm only talking about gritty, hard hitting hockey. I couldn't care less about fighting in the playoffs.

Hits:

Game 1: DET 20 - PHX 43

Game 2: DET 38 - PHX 31

Game 3: DET 38 - PHX 31

Game 4: DET 43 - PHX 27

Game 5: DET 33 - PHX 24

Game 6: DET 32 - PHX 30

Thats the objective.

No thats not how you wear a team down over the course of a 7 game series though. Kronwall and Stuart used to always have guys coughing up the puck at the blue line scared of them coming. They haven't done any of that this year. In the playoffs you hit (cleanly) to hurt and make ppl not wanna touch the puck again. Abdelkader is the only one doing it this year.

Can anyone think of a big hit that was made this round besides by Abdelkader?

Thats the objective.

Most of the time. He's saying there haven't been any big, open-ice crunchers and I agree with that a bit. It's not the biggest reason why the Wings are tied with the Coyotes right now, not even in the top five, but the D did crunch guys a lot more last year. Generally, the Coyotes are a lot faster at moving the puck than the BJs were last year.

This year overall in the playoffs, I think the big hits are down a bit. Might be because the games are closer and no one wants to go down a man for five minutes for a clean but resonant hit.

No thats not how you wear a team down over the course of a 7 game series though. Kronwall and Stuart used to always have guys coughing up the puck at the blue line scared of them coming. They haven't done any of that this year. In the playoffs you hit (cleanly) to hurt and make ppl not wanna touch the puck again. Abdelkader is the only one doing it this year.

Can anyone think of a big hit that was made this round besides by Abdelkader?

Yeah, you're right. Those four individual hits by Kronwall, and Stuarts hit on Umberger wore Columbus, Anaheim, and Chicago down over the course of those seven game series.

The whole purpose for a body check is to seperate the the man from the puck. Youre taught that in Pee Wee's. Right now, Stuart and Helm are amongst the top 10 in hits for this playoffs, so I have no problem with them.

If you want to call out Kronwall for not Kronwalling anybody thusfar, Id probably agree with you.

Edited by wingsownnhl43

Yeah, you're right. Those four individual hits by Kronwall, and Stuarts hit on Umberger wore Columbus, Anaheim, and Chicago down over the course of those seven game series.

The whole purpose for a body check is to seperate the the man from the puck. Youre taught that in Pee Wee's. Right now, Stuart and Helm are amongst the top 10 in hits for this playoffs, so I have no problem with them.

If you want to call out Kronwall for not Kronwalling anybody thusfar, Id probably agree with you.

You don't think big hits like that have a huge effect on the way the other teams plays the game? Theres voice clips of scottie upshall saying note to self don't cut across the middle with Kronwall out there because he just got done hitting him. Big hits make guys get the puck off their stick a little faster and make a play with less thinking time.

I guarantee Umberger almost getting his head taken off made his team think twice while Stuart was on the ice, and I doubt it would've happened if Stuart just separated him from the puck

You don't think big hits like that have a huge effect on the way the other teams plays the game? Theres voice clips of scottie upshall saying note to self don't cut across the middle with Kronwall out there because he just got done hitting him. Big hits make guys get the puck off their stick a little faster and make a play with less thinking time.

I guarantee Umberger almost getting his head taken off made his team think twice while Stuart was on the ice, and I doubt it would've happened if Stuart just separated him from the puck

Maybe. I honestly think those "huge hits" are more for fan affect and possibly a momentum changer than anything. I dont think we should be looking too hard to make a big hit because if you do, more often times than not you end up taking yourself out of the play. You make the big hit when the time presents itself. Kronwall already has a reputation. They know hes out there. And I know he would still make the big hit if the opportunity came.

Wow, Newfy.

The Yotes have played better in 3 of 6 games. That is why they are here. It isn't because their enforcer is scaring the begeezes out of everyone. It isn't because they are outhitting everyone. It isn't because Bryz is outplaying Howard. And it isn't because the magical Phoenix fairy gave the Yotes a magical power to take this series to seven. It is because they have been flat out better in 3 of 6. That is why we are at this point.

Wow, Newfy.

The Yotes have played better in 3 of 6 games. That is why they are here. It isn't because their enforcer is scaring the begeezes out of everyone. It isn't because they are outhitting everyone. It isn't because Bryz is outplaying Howard. And it isn't because the magical Phoenix fairy gave the Yotes a magical power to take this series to seven. It is because they have been flat out better in 3 of 6. That is why we are at this point.

Great post Doc.

Im pretty sure Darren Helm is leading the league in hits this playoffs.

Not that it's particularly important, but just for the sake of accuracy, he's tied for sixth, not first.

Grier, Brown, Orpik, Ruutu and Sobotka all lead him and he's tied with Fisher. All have played the same number of games.

Correct me if I'm wrong, but I believe Stewie's hit on Umberger actually occurred in the late stages of Game 3 in Columbus. How much barring did it really have on the series itself?

The boys are playing a physical brand of hockey right now, I can’t honestly remember the last time they’ve played this much dump and chase. They’re getting in on the attack but the lack of puck of possession, relative to past teams, doesn’t exactly allow for the defense to shoot up in the play like we’ve become accustomed to. Besides, Phoenix has got one hell of a defense when it comes to moving the puck; that teams offense originates with its defense, just as ours does. How often do our forwards get knocked out at their own blue line?

Though they may not be as apparent, the big hits are still taking place out there. Just not in the usual areas. I can’t complain in the least bit about this team's toughness, the numbers speak nothing but the truth.

Wow, Newfy.

I'd say it's at least partly because of that.