Photo
- - - - -

Lester B. Pearson Award renamed - Lindsay!

• Please log in to reply
37 replies to this topic

#21 Travis

Travis

Hall-of-Famer

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,460 posts

Posted 28 April 2010 - 08:38 AM

I hope this doesn't unleash a trend of renaming trophies, but great for Mr. Lindsay!

cc_champs-5_zps34057ff0.png

#22 ogreslayer

ogreslayer

1st Line All-Star

• HoF Booster
  • 1,997 posts

Posted 28 April 2010 - 10:50 AM

Having the NHLPA's MVP award named for one of the men responsible for the formation of the group instead a Canadian Prime Minister with no connection to the game makes perfect sense. Great move in my opinion.

#23 GMRwings1983

GMRwings1983

The Killer is Me

• Silver Booster
  • 20,965 posts

Posted 28 April 2010 - 10:52 AM

I'm very surprised that Ted Lindsay is the first guy they'd rename an award for.

I figured they'd call it the Wayne Gretzky or Mario Lemieux award, since they won it so many times.
According to my profile, my reputation is excellent. LOL.

#24 Z Winged Dangler

Z Winged Dangler

Part 3: Return of the Hammer Hands

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,219 posts

Posted 28 April 2010 - 11:16 AM

cool. name the trophy after a great player and pioneer in the game. anyone who doesn't know the true story behind what ted lindsay did for the league, watch the movie "Networth"

things were the s***s for players before lindsay did what he did...and he sacrificed EVER being able to win the cup again in his cause. great man that deserves this honour.

it was named after a politician right??

this brings up a question though. when will wayne gretzky get a trophy? not that i was ever a huge gretzky fan, but there should be an award for most assists in the NHL regular season...and who better to name it after than the guy who has more assists in NHL history than the 2nd leading scorer all time has points with 1963 assists. seems like a good idea.

back on topic, couldn't be happier for terrible ted!

"I play hockey, but I am not very good.  Can someone please tell me what it would take to sign with the Wings ? I can use a million or two."  ~ arag

Dan Cleary is an Xbox 360.  While good for a while, it's time for the new generation to take over.

#25 Opie

Opie

Legend

• HoF Booster
  • 7,420 posts

Posted 28 April 2010 - 11:28 AM

With all of the talk for another trophy (for d-men or other positions) this one makes sense, a trophy for most assists.

I like it deeznutz!

Not that my opinion means jack s*** though!

Edited by Opie, 28 April 2010 - 11:28 AM.

"The more I know about people - the better I like my dog." - Mark Twain

"A wise man once told me, ‘Don’t argue with fools. Cause people from a distance can’t tell who is who'." Jay Z, Takeover

"When I was looking for a captain, I wanted a guy with the Red Wings crest tattooed on his chest," said former Detroit coach Jacques Demers, who named Yzerman captain in 1986. "Steve Yzerman was that guy."

“Told him if he wasn't ultra-competitive he couldn't come here. If he didn't bring it every day he couldn't come here, because he was going to hate it if he didn't, dislike the coach and dislike playing here.
“It's real straightforward. If you don't do it right, you're not happy here." Babcock

#26 ToMaToToWnWinGsFaN_24

ToMaToToWnWinGsFaN_24

1st Line All-Star

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,033 posts

Posted 29 April 2010 - 10:38 AM

whats everyones thought on this?
good decision on part of the NHLPA?

if you live in canada you can watch it on the cbc sports website.
i dunno if its available for non canadian viewers.

#27 MacK_Attack

MacK_Attack

Old School

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,678 posts

Posted 29 April 2010 - 11:11 AM

Posted Image

#28 BeeRYCE

BeeRYCE

Where are the f'n twinkies?!

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,111 posts

Posted 29 April 2010 - 11:11 AM

See, I would have created a whole new trophy in Lindsay's honor.

Ted Lindsay Trophy - An award given annually to the player that best demonstrates a hard work ethic with a combination of offensive skill, grit, and determination.

#29 mmamolo

mmamolo

1st Line All-Star

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,809 posts

Posted 29 April 2010 - 12:30 PM

As much as I like Ted Lindsay, I wonder if this is the start of renaming all the trophies to former players :brow:?

Hart Trophy = Wayne Gretzky Trophy

Norris Trophy = Bobby Orr Trophy

etc.

To me if you were to be so inclined I would think the Art Ross would be renamed after Gretzky just because of the scoring
Posted Imagewww.unsportsmanlike.ca

#30 Barrie

Barrie

Legend

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,945 posts

Posted 29 April 2010 - 12:39 PM

I doubt it because this is a recognition for his work establishing the NHLPA more than his production as a player

Ohhhhh ok that makes sense. Nothing against our boy Ted, but I was wondering why him.

I didn't read the link, so if it mentioned why, I didn't see it.

To me if you were to be so inclined I would think the Art Ross would be renamed after Gretzky just because of the scoring

That works because then they can name the Hart trophy after Gordie.

Edit: I wouldn't be against naming the Trophies after players. Most of the guys the Trophies are named after now were crooks and complete a-holes!

Edited by Barrie, 29 April 2010 - 12:41 PM.

Lets Go:
Red Wings
Tigers
Roughriders
Lions
Spartans
Pistons

#31 Finnish Wing

Finnish Wing

13th Forward

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,475 posts

Posted 29 April 2010 - 12:45 PM

See, I would have created a whole new trophy in Lindsay's honor.

Ted Lindsay Trophy - An award given annually to the player that best demonstrates a hard work ethic with a combination of offensive skill, grit, and determination.

Why would you reward something like "grit" or "hard work" etc.

There's two aspects in the game: offense and defense. "Grit" and "hard work" can be included in both, but they're just among other minor abilities. We don't have awards for best skater or hardest hitter either.
Detroit Red Wings & Tampereen Ilves forever!

#32 Barrie

Barrie

Legend

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,945 posts

Posted 29 April 2010 - 12:48 PM

Why would you reward something like "grit" or "hard work" etc.

There's two aspects in the game: offense and defense. "Grit" and "hard work" can be included in both, but they're just among other minor abilities. We don't have awards for best skater or hardest hitter either.

Maybe BeeRYCE was thinking of an award for the best power forward? Lindsay was a power forward, minus his size.
Lets Go:
Red Wings
Tigers
Roughriders
Lions
Spartans
Pistons

#33 Finnish Wing

Finnish Wing

13th Forward

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,475 posts

Posted 29 April 2010 - 12:50 PM

Maybe BeeRYCE was thinking of an award for the best power forward? Lindsay was a power forward, minus his size.

And that's what I'm talking about. Why don't award the best playmaker and best dangler then?

There are only OFFENSE and DEFENSE. It doesn't matter how you get the results. Whether it's grit, speed or skill. You don't award something like that. It's like giving style points.

#34 Barrie

Barrie

Legend

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,945 posts

Posted 29 April 2010 - 12:55 PM

And that's what I'm talking about. Why don't award the best playmaker and best dangler then?

There are only OFFENSE and DEFENSE. It doesn't matter how you get the results. Whether it's grit, speed or skill. You don't award something like that. It's like giving style points.

Yea, then they'll have to name more trophies for more types of players and styles. The NHL would have about 100 Trophies to hand out every year and the award show would take about a week :lol:
Lets Go:
Red Wings
Tigers
Roughriders
Lions
Spartans
Pistons

#35 Finnish Wing

Finnish Wing

13th Forward

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,475 posts

Posted 29 April 2010 - 01:10 PM

Yea, then they'll have to name more trophies for more types of players and styles. The NHL would have about 100 Trophies to hand out every year and the award show would take about a week :lol:

Exactly, so let's just award what really matters in the end like they do know.

#36 Z Winged Dangler

Z Winged Dangler

Part 3: Return of the Hammer Hands

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,219 posts

Posted 29 April 2010 - 01:53 PM

With all of the talk for another trophy (for d-men or other positions) this one makes sense, a trophy for most assists.

I like it deeznutz!

Not that my opinion means jack s*** though!

i'm not the 1st person to mention it, and you're not the first person to agree with it. i don't understand how it hasn't been implemented yet.

"I play hockey, but I am not very good.  Can someone please tell me what it would take to sign with the Wings ? I can use a million or two."  ~ arag

Dan Cleary is an Xbox 360.  While good for a while, it's time for the new generation to take over.

#37 Travis

Travis

Hall-of-Famer

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,460 posts

Posted 29 April 2010 - 03:33 PM

For those with the NHL Network, Ted Lindsay is about to be on Power Play.

cc_champs-5_zps34057ff0.png

#38 Yzerman#19

Yzerman#19

Neon Knight

• PipPip
  • 392 posts

Posted 29 April 2010 - 03:55 PM

I know "class" is a way over used term, however.... This is a truly classy move on the part of the NHLPA.

Couldn't have happened to a better gentleman than Mr. Lindsay. I had the honor of meeting him at the Joe last year and it was one of the highlights of my life.
"A connecting principle linked to the invisible. Almost imperceptible, something inexpressible. Science insusceptible. Logic so inflexable. Causally connectible. Yet nothing is invincible."