• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

Sign in to follow this  
Guest Crymson

Bring on the Sharks --- Again!

Rate this topic

I actually thought Marleau would step up this year... but alas, he's still being play-off Marleau.

I know you just the new marleau playoffs. The new marleau= doesn't care about anything or doesn't show Marleau.

The Old playoff marleau was carrying the team have hattricks in playoff games. Will the real Marleau show up? please? :lol:

I hope we dont have trouble matching up with their top two lines. They are obviously loaded in that area, however I wont doubt Z and D's ability to shut down top lines as we've seen so many times in the past.

Howard will have to be huge. I wouldnt be surprised if he gets peppered in a few of these games. Our defense is going to have to be much better than it was in the Phoenix series. Franzen is going to have to score.

All that said, I think are defense will step up, which will be key. We have a potential huge advantage here over the Sharks. Guys like Cleary, Helm, and Eaves will be difference makers.

I keep going back and forth between 6 and 7 games because of the talent the Sharks have, but I have to remember they are the Sharks, and we are the Wings.

Wings in 6.

I don't want to start a new thread so I'll just ask the question here.

Matchups?

Obviously the Pavelski line is playing well for the Sharks right now. Better than the big three. Do you match Zetterberg or Datsyuk to that line? Or perhaps Helm or Abdelkader? Not bloody likely.

I think Zetterberg relishes having to play against Thornton. At the same time I want Pavelski's line to be neutralized as much as possible. Not sure if I like the idea of a recovering Franzen having to go up against Clowe.

As good as Pav is defensively Hank is our ultimate playoff shutdown guy. Plus, when Holmstrom plays with Pav at times his skating can be a defensive liability. I think you match up Zetterberg against the line that is producing the best for the Sharks and right now that is the Pavelski line while Datsyuk's line takes care of the Thronton line. If things start to change and the Thornton line actually puts a couple goals in then you adjust but for a moment consider these stats:

Joe Pavelski gp 6 g 5 a 3 p 8

Ryan Clowe gp 6 g 1 a 7 p 8

Devon Setoguchi gp 6 g 3 a 3 p 6

Total: gp 18 g 9 a 13 p 22

Joe Thornton gp 6 g 0 a 3 p 3

Dany Heatley gp 5 g 0 a 4 p 4

Patrick Marleau gp 6 g 1 a 2 p 3

Total: gp 17 g 1 a 9 p 10

Can't wait to see these series! The Sharks been the second team many years for me as Red Wings been the first. Sharks fast and skilled, they play aggressive but smart hockey. They really lost it with Colorado but overcame themselves to win. But AVS are not Wings and I believe Sharks are able to boost it up if they need. So this will be all boosts and ups :) from them that’s why many goals, shots and hits from both teams and it’s great.

My only concern is goaltending, Nabby not so consistent in playoffs as I want him to be, but now all want is Howie to shut the door. Guy’s been great, I’m really proud that we have him. He could be the key factor of these series.

Go wings!!! In 6

Edited by DmitrifromRussia

Howard will need to step up a bit, don't get me wrong, I love the kid in the pipes for the Wings, but the only reason COL was even remotely in this series was Anderson.

That kid was stopping 50 shots a night it seemed like.

The offense is more potent than Pho, and pho hung some big numbers on the J-Ho.

I think the goaltending edge actually goes to Howard on this one, only because it seems like the Wings own Nabby.

I see this one going 6, and of course I am calling Wings!

Wings win games 1 on the road!

After Sundays lose in Detroit, one of the announcers said that Babcock has to tell the boys to pack for a western 3 game road trip. This was to have two fold effect: 1) Instill confidence in winning game 7 in Pheonix, 2) keep travel time to a minimum by going stragiht from Pheonix to San Jose.

I imagine this is what they ended up doing, does anyone know for sure? It makes sense. (The logistics of pro sports have always somewhat intriqued me.)

Its awesome that as a rookie goal tender, Jimmy already has a game 7 win on his resume, especially with all the teams in the Western Semis this year.

I enjoyed Tippet's post game homage to the WIngs: "They just took it to another level that we couldn't match".

TMI's Three Keys to the series

Sharks:

1.) Top line has got to produce. Pavelski, Setoguchi, and everyone's second favorite Newfy, Clowe, have been outstanding, but the Sharks need two scoring lines producing. If they do the Sharks are scary.

2.) Which Nabby to we see? The one who in the past looked like Bryzgalov did in the previous round, or the one who's come to resemble Turco against Detroit?

3.) Consistency of effort. The Sharks tend to play a really strong first 10 min against the Wings, even building a 1-0 or 2-0 lead, and then fall off and let Detroit take over the game.

Wings:

1.) Earth to Mule and Cleary. Wings need these two to produce this series. San Jose has great depth up front, but with these two rolling the Wings can roll three potent scoring lines.

2.) Puck possession. The Sharks are one of the few teams that have the ability to cycle on the Red Wings. The Wings must have great puck support getting the puck out of their end, cycle and forecheck well, and avoid turnovers and one-and-dones.

3.) Abdelkader, Helm, Miller, and (again) Cleary. These four players have really been able to turn the tide of games with their relentless forechecking, like they did yesterday in a 2-1 game. The need to create havoc and tire the Shark's D.

Very excited for this series!

If the Wings keep the focus on the top two lines, they will pay the price from the 3rd and 4th line guys on SJ.

The Sharks biggest weakness is not Nabby. It is our D. Crazy stupid mistakes (mental lapses) during the season and once in the playoffs. Boyle is, however, the best D in this series on both sides. He's gonna fare better that NL.

If SJ can limit stupid mistakes, continue to stay out of the box and get timely saves from Nabby they will win this thing in 6. The top two lines will produce in this series, but more importantly the Sharks 3rd & 4th liners will be the needed depth to get the series won.

This will be a a series that will really test the Wings' defense. My only worry is the size of San Jose's forwards, especially when we saw what someone like Doan can do if they establish themselves physically.

Franzen needs to score and power his way to the net.

Big plus is Nabakov, I think he is one of the most overrated goalies in the league. His sloppiness led to Boyle scoring on his team, not the other way around.

From Yahoo:

capt.0b40eb23b4e54737a42f00cdc899f43d-0b40eb23b4e54737a42f00cdc899f43d-0.jpg

I enjoyed Tippet's post game homage to the WIngs: "They just took it to another level that we couldn't match".

I enjoyed that as well. Contrast to that is Fiddler's post game, who broke it down to a few bounces not going their way. I just wasn't sure what game he played in, 'cause it clearly wasn't the one I watched. All 3 of the Wings wins in this series before game 7, I could say, the 'Yotes played well enough to give themselves a chance to win, but this game 7 is something else. There's NO WAY with just how well the Wings played and how well the 'Yotes didn't play, that they had any chance to win.

When you're goaltender is standing on his head, and is your best player in the game, and you still lose 6 to 1, you're doing something wrong, and the other team is doing something right.

Full respect to the 'Yotes and their season, but it just bugged me a little to hear Fiddler underscore what the Wings accomplished in this game 7. But I'm not too irrated by it, it's still one of the best games I've ever seen and I'm still excited about it.

This will be a a series that will really test the Wings' defense. My only worry is the size of San Jose's forwards, especially when we saw what someone like Doan can do if they establish themselves physically.

Franzen needs to score and power his way to the net.

Big plus is Nabakov, I think he is one of the most overrated goalies in the league. His sloppiness led to Boyle scoring on his team, not the other way around.

From Yahoo:

capt.0b40eb23b4e54737a42f00cdc899f43d-0b40eb23b4e54737a42f00cdc899f43d-0.jpg

I think our biggest problems against Phoenix were losing key faceoffs (special teams in particular: 38.4% on PP, 43.3% PK), Lidstrom had trouble with the speed from the Czech line, and the offense from Phoenix's defensemen.

Not sure SJ is as good in those areas as Phoenix, but they certainly aren't bad. Combine that with SJ's firepower on the top two lines (potentially at least) and ability to cycle down low (the Wings have had trouble breaking up a good cycle)...They will be tough to beat. Their size is the least of my worries. My worry is that Thornton's line will get going and/or Nabby will step up his game. Either one could be big trouble.

Game 7 intensity and execution from the opening faceoff until the final horn. We can't afford to give them anything. Efforts like last night in every game though, and no one will beat us.

Guest Crymson

Went back to some of the GDT from 2007. Before Game 6 we had many people on here who missed Lebda and really wanted him in the lineup. Mannn... Oh how things change.

We missed him because Schneider was gone and Quincey pretty much sucked.

I don't know, man. Sharks are really talented too. It's going to be interesting.

Some of them are talented on ice, some on grass. We need the lawn bowlers to keep their parkas on for a few more weeks.

For the first time however I really like our 2-4th lines, particularly if we can get Ortmeyer back in the lineup. We now call the top line the "suck out" line. They are our stealth weapon. Their sole purpose on the ice is suck out the competitions best line, muck up the game for a minute or so, dump the puck deep and let the young guns get back to work.

There will be some s*** talking sooner or later. Pretty soon we'll see the ugly side of them. Then we'll see how LGW responds.

I represent the douchebag contingent once the puck actually hits the ice.

Edited by Ratbastrd

No shame? You realize they are picked as a potential Cup winner right? They DO NOT get off this easy. They won the West. They ARE the favorite and if they lose it will very much indeed be labelled chokers yet again. Noone expects us to be here. s*** look at NHL.com. They have a poll asking which team will sin the Cup. Detroit name isn't even in there, along with the Habs. All other 6 teams are! Disrespect is an understatement.

Crush the Sharks. And paste that choker label firmly down their throats!!

And to hell with all these experts ....

Go WINGS!!!

Good f'ing luck with that argument in any bar filled with hockey fans. Everyone expected you guy's to be here, hell if your group had stayed healthy early, your group would likely have won the division, if for nothing else then your record against the Sharks. Seeding has little to do with this matchup. The Wings are the favorite.

That being said, I will go out on a big limb right now and say this series will come down to goal tending (you can tell I am risk taker eh). Seriously though, your top line trumps our top line, our 2nd line probably carries the day against yours, 3-4 lines hard to say, haven't watched enough Wings games to get a feel. I will say I really like how our 3 & 4th lines have developed recently, they are a match for any other 3/4 lines as far as I can see. D matchups, who knows, neither team is stellar on D.

Which leaves the goalies. Whoever stands on their respective heads for more games is likely to be the decider.

Gotta give the Wings the mental advantage.

Advantage Wings

My prediction (two options)

Sharks win a short series

Wings win a long series

Wings in 7

I think our biggest problems against Phoenix were losing key faceoffs (special teams in particular: 38.4% on PP, 43.3% PK), Lidstrom had trouble with the speed from the Czech line, and the offense from Phoenix's defensemen.

Not sure SJ is as good in those areas as Phoenix, but they certainly aren't bad. Combine that with SJ's firepower on the top two lines (potentially at least) and ability to cycle down low (the Wings have had trouble breaking up a good cycle)...They will be tough to beat. Their size is the least of my worries. My worry is that Thornton's line will get going and/or Nabby will step up his game. Either one could be big trouble.

Game 7 intensity and execution from the opening faceoff until the final horn. We can't afford to give them anything. Efforts like last night in every game though, and no one will beat us.

Not sure of the exact number, but the Sharks were one of the best faceoff teams in the league. That is one clear advantage to the Sharks.

"About the only thing to like about the Sharks’ chances is their work in the face-off circle, where Joe Thornton, Joe Pavelski and Scott Nichol all ranked in the top 20 in draws in the regular season and Manny Malhotra is now second among playoff face-off men, with a sparkling 65.7 success rate (presumably because Malhotra played a lot against Colorado rookie Matt Duchene, who had the lowest percentage among the 45 centres tracked by the NHL in the first round at 36.2).

[...]

Given that the series features two teams, both trying to play a puck possession game, if the Sharks are demonstrably better in the circle and start with the puck more often, that represents one lukewarm positive to put on their side of the ledger.

Reasons to like the Wings

Edited by Ratbastrd

Can't wait to see these series! The Sharks been the second team many years for me as Red Wings been the first. Sharks fast and skilled, they play aggressive but smart hockey. They really lost it with Colorado but overcame themselves to win. But AVS are not Wings and I believe Sharks are able to boost it up if they need. So this will be all boosts and ups :) from them that’s why many goals, shots and hits from both teams and it’s great.

My only concern is goaltending, Nabby not so consistent in playoffs as I want him to be, but now all want is Howie to shut the door. Guy’s been great, I’m really proud that we have him. He could be the key factor of these series.

Go wings!!! In 6

The bold, Sharks are not fast at all. THe only fast player has to be Marleau and Seto. We aren't a fast team at all, we lost all our speed when we traded away Michalek and Erhoff. Our Defense is REALLY SLOW. Execpt for Dan Boyle. The Sharks have trouble with speed, thats why we had trouble containing the blackhawks all year long. If the Avs used their speed, I thought they could have won the series.

I like this matchup a lot. If the Red Wings play like the Red Wings then we will have no problem this series.

Joe Thornton looks like he can barely stay awake during a playoff game. I'm amazed at how useless such a good player can be during the post season.

Colorado was absolutely awful in the late stages of the season and they still gave the Sharks a pretty good run for their money.

I'm not sold on Nabokov either, he has some bright moments here and there but in a do or die situation I wouldn't have much faith in him.

Edited by puffy