20 replies to this topic

#1 j.hoop

j.hoop

i hate the flyers

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,480 posts

Posted 28 April 2010 - 02:26 AM

7GP 6G 5A - 11P

Critical to the success of the PK, Huge points, First playoff hat trick.

Hats off to Hank!!!

real question is.. who is #2?
“Rather fail with honor than succeed by fraud.” - Sophocles
Posted Image

This just in, Stevie gives Canada the Order of Yzerman. Country bows and feels unworthy.

#2 texdude2006

texdude2006

Prospect

• 39 posts

Posted 28 April 2010 - 02:30 AM

7GP 6G 5A - 11P

Critical to the success of the PK, Huge points, First playoff hat trick.

Hats off to Hank!!!

real question is.. who is #2?

Datsyuk or Howard. I'll lean toward Datsyuk, he had the game winner today.

Edited by texdude2006, 28 April 2010 - 02:30 AM.

IPB Image

#3 drw138

drw138

Prospect

• 37 posts

Posted 28 April 2010 - 02:31 AM

hank was good but...

I thought howard was awesome, lidstrom came up huge
how about fillpula, the list goes on

great team from top to bottom in all their wins,
their loses not so much
we're back

#4 10 Minute Misconduct

10 Minute Misconduct

Hall-of-Famer

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,551 posts

Posted 28 April 2010 - 02:32 AM

Well who else would be our playoff MVP

Zetterberg is basically god.

Posted Image

#5 RedLightGoesOn

RedLightGoesOn

Playoff Ice...if you know what I mean

• PipPipPipPip
  • 815 posts

Posted 28 April 2010 - 02:45 AM

Zetterberg was out of this world good. He really showed up and made a difference

#2 Datsyuk. He has been awefully silent last year's playoffs and he started things of good.

#3. Howard. Struggled at first it seemed but he really caused the Coyotes problems

#4 Franzen. Joined Zetterberg and Howe as the only Red Wings to score a point in every game of a best of 7 series. Yeah, I was not thrilled he only recorded 1 goal this series, but when he wasn't scoring (or when he did not score) he was dishing out assists, which Datsyuk turned into goals.

EDIT: # 5 Filpulla. Sick as usual and I totally spaced adding him in. Keep it up man, you rock.

Everyone else did a great job and looked hungry (Helm, Cleary, etc), I will even let Bert off the hook with his goal. Our defense hopefully will turn things up a notch (E, Lils, Kronwall I am looking at you)

An honorable mention I want to make
Draper. He really played hard on a lot of shifts. Glad to see he still has it in him.

Edited by RedLightGoesOn, 28 April 2010 - 04:42 AM.

40 for life.

#6 Pavrik Zettersyuk

Pavrik Zettersyuk

4th Line Grinder

• PipPip
  • 205 posts

Posted 28 April 2010 - 02:56 AM

My friend asked me who I thought would lead the Wings in playoff points this season as soon we clinched 8th spot. I picked Hank, he picked Mule. Mule is an obvious choice and I hope he catches up to Hank (on acount of Mule speeding up, not Hank slowing down), but Hank can do no wrong this time of year.

#7 Aussie_Wing

Aussie_Wing

Mursak

• Bronze Booster
  • 8,550 posts

Posted 28 April 2010 - 02:56 AM

^ You mentioned half the side and failed the mention the guy who was our 2nd best player all series.

Filppula.

Ken Holland: He’s (Mursak) a young guy, provides energy, can skate, he’s a puck hound.

#8 Pavrik Zettersyuk

Pavrik Zettersyuk

4th Line Grinder

• PipPip
  • 205 posts

Posted 28 April 2010 - 02:59 AM

^ You mentioned half the side and failed the mention the guy who was our 2nd best player all series.

Filppula.

Agree with this.

1. Hank

2. Flip

3. Howie

#9 10 Minute Misconduct

10 Minute Misconduct

Hall-of-Famer

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,551 posts

Posted 28 April 2010 - 04:04 AM

Yeah Flip's sick in the playoffs too every year.

Posted Image

#10 RedLightGoesOn

RedLightGoesOn

Playoff Ice...if you know what I mean

• PipPipPipPip
  • 815 posts

Posted 28 April 2010 - 04:43 AM

Fixed. I totally forgot but looking up his stats he has quite a few points.
40 for life.

#11 dat's sick

dat's sick

Fear can hold you prisoner, hope can set you free

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,347 posts

Posted 28 April 2010 - 06:12 AM

Zetterberg was obviously great. What can you say about him that hasn't already been said? He's a pretty cool guy.

But I think Datsyuk deserves a lot of credit too. He has basically had a better playoffs than last year ALREADY. 8 points in 7 games, 5 goals, and as always unbelievable defense. He looks like he's working his ass off out there and he's all over the place stealing pucks and making plays.

Filppula as others said also has to be mentioned. The chemistry him and Z are developing is really something to see.

#12 Opie

Opie

Legend

• HoF Booster
  • 7,419 posts

Posted 28 April 2010 - 09:06 AM

I am starting to see similar things in a 26 year old Flip that we saw in a 26 year old Datsyuk, now he may never have the dekes that Dats has, but he has the work ethic on both ends of the ice.

He has a little Z in him two, sneaky shots, started using that one handed carry that Z uses so well.

The kid has been surrounded by high end talent and has taken the opportunity to learn from it, congrats, and keep it up.

My top 5 MVPs:
(yes it was that hard to pick one or two)

Dats
Z
Howie
Lids
Flip

No shot at Flip being #5 he belongs in the conversation, and so don't Mule and Homer, and what about the checkers, how many times in last nights game alone did a red wing player come up from behind and absolutely thieve the puck while the Coyote was skating away?

Awesome team game for 60 minutes last night.

"The more I know about people - the better I like my dog." - Mark Twain

"A wise man once told me, ‘Don’t argue with fools. Cause people from a distance can’t tell who is who'." Jay Z, Takeover

"When I was looking for a captain, I wanted a guy with the Red Wings crest tattooed on his chest," said former Detroit coach Jacques Demers, who named Yzerman captain in 1986. "Steve Yzerman was that guy."

“Told him if he wasn't ultra-competitive he couldn't come here. If he didn't bring it every day he couldn't come here, because he was going to hate it if he didn't, dislike the coach and dislike playing here.
“It's real straightforward. If you don't do it right, you're not happy here." Babcock

#13 stevkrause

stevkrause

Legend

• Bronze Booster
  • 5,236 posts

Posted 28 April 2010 - 09:08 AM

Agree with this.

1. Hank

2. Flip

3. Howie

Agree with this 100% - Flip has been AMAZING, Howie would easily be number 1 if he had played every game like game 4, 5 and 7

All I have to say about Holland and our off-season:

Here in this thread

Here in this one as well

Here in this one too

and finally

Here

Holland is a damn good GM. period.

#14 Finnish Wing

Finnish Wing

13th Forward

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,475 posts

Posted 28 April 2010 - 09:23 AM

Maybe Flip was better than Datsyuk anyway then. He had the second best plus-minus.

I'd say:

1. Zetterberg
2. Filppula
3. Howard
4. Datsyuk
5. Lidstrom

Lidstrom had one really bad game if I remember right, but he was magical last night. Those are maybe based a little on expectations too. Hard to compare Howard with Filppula and Datsyuk as the other is a goalie and the other is a forward. Kinda depends how much value you wanna give on goaltending.
Detroit Red Wings & Tampereen Ilves forever!

#15 ogreslayer

ogreslayer

1st Line All-Star

• HoF Booster
  • 1,990 posts

Posted 28 April 2010 - 10:03 AM

I have to say that Pav is #2 based on the fact that the timing of his goals have been HUGE for the team. He seems to step up at all the right moments.

#16 Z and D for the C

Z and D for the C

This is the TBL forum, right?

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,033 posts

Posted 28 April 2010 - 10:14 AM

I'd say

Z
Flip
Datsyuk

If we were only doing the second half (or so) of the series then I'd put Dats over Flip, but Flip was amazing from his first shift, it took Datsyuk a few games to really get going IMO. It could go either way though.

Edited by Z and D for the C, 28 April 2010 - 10:14 AM.

Just cause you look like the gimp don't mean you play like the gimp!

#17 GoWings1905

GoWings1905

Legend

• Gold Booster
  • 5,375 posts

Posted 28 April 2010 - 10:18 AM

Z was easily the Red Wings best player in the first round.

After that, I would go Stuart and then Filppula.

"To whom much is given, much is expected."

#18 DirtyD

DirtyD

One fast move or I'm gone

• Pip
  • 104 posts

Posted 28 April 2010 - 10:19 AM

I don't think that Stuart is gettin' enough love in this thread. Despite putting up an absolute stinker in game 6, Stuart was overall pretty consistent throughout the series and it really paid off in his stats.

2g 4a 6p +6

He tied tied with Lids for the series for top scoring D-men on the team and tied with Hank for best +/- for the series. I can't help but feel like this series was pretty much a mirror image of his entire season; overall very solid and consistent, but he is prone to make some big mistakes that people tend to remember more than all the solid minutes he eats out there.

Nonetheless, I think that I'd still give #2 to Datsyuk because he had, I think, his best playoff series since Dallas in the Western Conference Finals in '08.

Posted Image

#19 GoWings1905

GoWings1905

Legend

• Gold Booster
  • 5,375 posts

Posted 28 April 2010 - 10:25 AM

I don't think that Stuart is gettin' enough love in this thread. Despite putting up an absolute stinker in game 6, Stuart was overall pretty consistent throughout the series and it really paid off in his stats.

2g 4a 6p +6

He tied tied with Lids for the series for top scoring D-men on the team and tied with Hank for best +/- for the series. I can't help but feel like this series was pretty much a mirror image of his entire season; overall very solid and consistent, but he is prone to make some big mistakes that people tend to remember more than all the solid minutes he eats out there.

Nonetheless, I think that I'd still give #2 to Datsyuk because he had, I think, his best playoff series since Dallas in the Western Conference Finals in '08.

Agreed completely. Brad Stuart had a terrific series. Maybe the best he has played with the Red Wings and that's a huge compliment to him. Stuart is an absolute beast in the playoffs. I think you hit the nail on the head though - some people tend to remember only the bad with Stuart like the turnover in Game 6 or the huge mistakes in Game 7 against Pittsburgh. Stuart does everything so solid most of the time, it's easy to overlook what he brings and not appreciate it.

"To whom much is given, much is expected."

#20 GMRwings1983

GMRwings1983

The Killer is Me

• Silver Booster
  • 20,833 posts

Posted 28 April 2010 - 10:48 AM

I actually think Datsyuk was our MVP.

He scored a lot of points as well, but was a beast defensively and had those big goals in game 7. He also had a lot more to prove than Hank, since he's had some bad playoff performances here before.

So I give the MVP to Datsyuk. He was everywhere in this series.
According to my profile, my reputation is excellent. LOL.