• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

Sign in to follow this  
j.hoop

First Round MVP- Hank Zetterberg

Rate this topic

7GP 6G 5A - 11P

Critical to the success of the PK, Huge points, First playoff hat trick.

Hats off to Hank!!!

real question is.. who is #2?

Datsyuk or Howard. I'll lean toward Datsyuk, he had the game winner today.

Edited by texdude2006

hank was good but...

I thought howard was awesome, lidstrom came up huge

how about fillpula, the list goes on

great team from top to bottom in all their wins,

their loses not so much

Zetterberg was out of this world good. He really showed up and made a difference

#2 Datsyuk. He has been awefully silent last year's playoffs and he started things of good.

#3. Howard. Struggled at first it seemed but he really caused the Coyotes problems

#4 Franzen. Joined Zetterberg and Howe as the only Red Wings to score a point in every game of a best of 7 series. Yeah, I was not thrilled he only recorded 1 goal this series, but when he wasn't scoring (or when he did not score) he was dishing out assists, which Datsyuk turned into goals.

EDIT: # 5 Filpulla. Sick as usual and I totally spaced adding him in. Keep it up man, you rock.

Everyone else did a great job and looked hungry (Helm, Cleary, etc), I will even let Bert off the hook with his goal. Our defense hopefully will turn things up a notch (E, Lils, Kronwall I am looking at you)

An honorable mention I want to make

Draper. He really played hard on a lot of shifts. Glad to see he still has it in him.

Edited by RedLightGoesOn

My friend asked me who I thought would lead the Wings in playoff points this season as soon we clinched 8th spot. I picked Hank, he picked Mule. Mule is an obvious choice and I hope he catches up to Hank (on acount of Mule speeding up, not Hank slowing down), but Hank can do no wrong this time of year.

Zetterberg was obviously great. What can you say about him that hasn't already been said? He's a pretty cool guy.

But I think Datsyuk deserves a lot of credit too. He has basically had a better playoffs than last year ALREADY. 8 points in 7 games, 5 goals, and as always unbelievable defense. He looks like he's working his ass off out there and he's all over the place stealing pucks and making plays.

Filppula as others said also has to be mentioned. The chemistry him and Z are developing is really something to see.

I am starting to see similar things in a 26 year old Flip that we saw in a 26 year old Datsyuk, now he may never have the dekes that Dats has, but he has the work ethic on both ends of the ice.

He has a little Z in him two, sneaky shots, started using that one handed carry that Z uses so well.

The kid has been surrounded by high end talent and has taken the opportunity to learn from it, congrats, and keep it up.

My top 5 MVPs:

(yes it was that hard to pick one or two)

Dats

Z

Howie

Lids

Flip

No shot at Flip being #5 he belongs in the conversation, and so don't Mule and Homer, and what about the checkers, how many times in last nights game alone did a red wing player come up from behind and absolutely thieve the puck while the Coyote was skating away?

Awesome team game for 60 minutes last night.

Maybe Flip was better than Datsyuk anyway then. He had the second best plus-minus.

I'd say:

1. Zetterberg

2. Filppula

3. Howard

4. Datsyuk

5. Lidstrom

Lidstrom had one really bad game if I remember right, but he was magical last night. Those are maybe based a little on expectations too. Hard to compare Howard with Filppula and Datsyuk as the other is a goalie and the other is a forward. Kinda depends how much value you wanna give on goaltending.

I'd say

Z

Flip

Datsyuk

If we were only doing the second half (or so) of the series then I'd put Dats over Flip, but Flip was amazing from his first shift, it took Datsyuk a few games to really get going IMO. It could go either way though.

Edited by Z and D for the C

I don't think that Stuart is gettin' enough love in this thread. Despite putting up an absolute stinker in game 6, Stuart was overall pretty consistent throughout the series and it really paid off in his stats.

2g 4a 6p +6

He tied tied with Lids for the series for top scoring D-men on the team and tied with Hank for best +/- for the series. I can't help but feel like this series was pretty much a mirror image of his entire season; overall very solid and consistent, but he is prone to make some big mistakes that people tend to remember more than all the solid minutes he eats out there.

Nonetheless, I think that I'd still give #2 to Datsyuk because he had, I think, his best playoff series since Dallas in the Western Conference Finals in '08.

I don't think that Stuart is gettin' enough love in this thread. Despite putting up an absolute stinker in game 6, Stuart was overall pretty consistent throughout the series and it really paid off in his stats.

2g 4a 6p +6

He tied tied with Lids for the series for top scoring D-men on the team and tied with Hank for best +/- for the series. I can't help but feel like this series was pretty much a mirror image of his entire season; overall very solid and consistent, but he is prone to make some big mistakes that people tend to remember more than all the solid minutes he eats out there.

Nonetheless, I think that I'd still give #2 to Datsyuk because he had, I think, his best playoff series since Dallas in the Western Conference Finals in '08.

Agreed completely. Brad Stuart had a terrific series. Maybe the best he has played with the Red Wings and that's a huge compliment to him. Stuart is an absolute beast in the playoffs. I think you hit the nail on the head though - some people tend to remember only the bad with Stuart like the turnover in Game 6 or the huge mistakes in Game 7 against Pittsburgh. Stuart does everything so solid most of the time, it's easy to overlook what he brings and not appreciate it.

I actually think Datsyuk was our MVP.

He scored a lot of points as well, but was a beast defensively and had those big goals in game 7. He also had a lot more to prove than Hank, since he's had some bad playoff performances here before.

So I give the MVP to Datsyuk. He was everywhere in this series.

It is always so hard to distinguish between Dats and Z for me because of what GMR just brought up.

As i read what you typed, I was thinking, yeah and so was Z. The two play the game so hard in both ends, and back check so damn hard all the damn time.

But for me, this time the difference was where they did their stopping.

Dats was pulling the puck out from under Yotes all over the ice, but most of the time in the O-zone or Neutral zone, deflating the Yotes offense before it started.

Z is much more of a shut you down in your offensive zone. Not trying to say one is more important than another, but I needed a way to not say they were tied.

Edited by Opie