• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

Sign in to follow this  
grimace1970

New VS drinking game!

Rate this topic

So I've found myself yelling at the TV often during the series on VS, not at the fact that we dump the puck in or we can't pass tape to tape consistently (no, actually, I did yell at the TV because of that, too), but because Daryl Reaugh is constantly:

1) inserting vocabulary words into the commentary he learns from the Word of the Day application on his computer (i.e., He drove the net with _alacrity_"

2) using a completely inappropriate word to describe someone's play ("He _pranced_ past the defender")

3) screwing up pat phrases (i.e., "He just wanted to fall on his sword _and shield_.."

4) or completely making up new words ("_vaselinily_")

I can't freaking believe this guy. So last night we decided to start a drinking game. Every time he inserts an uncommon vocabulary word into his commentary, you drink. Each time he screws up a pat phrase or uses an inappropriate descriptive word, you drink twice. Each time he makes up his own words, or if he pulls off a combination of any two of the above in a sentence, you drain your beer. Simple rules. We started probably half-way through the game, and I was pretty lit by the end. Feel free to add rules as you see fit.

I HATE THIS GUY AS AN ANNOUNCER!

It is like he is trying to be Dennis Miller, except he talks like a normal person and throws weird big words all over the place, and I am not even sure half of them are actually words.

Hey you guys remember when color guys were just calling the game, instead of trying to make a name for themselves.

I remember a guy like that, Redmond or something like that. Just called the game as it was not bothering to try and be something more than a voice for people to listen to.

What, Mickey is still announcing in this day and age, where Jack Edwards, Darryl Reaugh, Pierre and Millbury all have jobs, wow!

/sarcasm I like very few announcers in any sport! Mickey and Jerry Remy are my two current favs, very hard to beat those two, class!

My favourite quote from Daryl Reaugh was in game 1 of the WCSF last year.

He referred to the glass around the rink as..wait for it...

"Sillicon based, environmental interface"

This guy is a tool.

Jedi, I almost spit coffee all over the place, I had totally forgotten that, but in deed he did say that aloud didn't he!

Where is Panger or Ferraro when you need them. s*** I would take Andy Brickley over that guy!

Jesus, you guys act like vocabulary is the enemy. I'd take him over the 'tards who can't talk yet normally do the CBC broadcasts.

Ever notice that terrible, intellectually insecure writers/commentators like to substitute word length/obscurity for actual content? I've marked papers where it's clear that the student just used the synonym function in Word to try and make their writing look "smarter" but all they did was prove that they didn't actually understand the definitions of half the words they chose from the drop-down menu. That's how this guy sounds.

For example, read this guy's writing: http://www.penny-arcade.com/

Do you want to punch him in the face? That's because everything he writes is an elaborate attempt to convince his readers that he's intelligent. All he does is convince you of his intellectual insecurity (that and make me want to punch him in the neck).

I like Reaugh. His ostentation makes me happy for some reason.

And it seems to me that most of the words he uses aren't incorrect exactly, they just sound a little bit out of place because there's a short pause before and after. Sort of like he's making sure we know he's using a fancy word but he's not quite sure if he used it correctly.

I'd like to add "sweet georgia brown they were moving it around"

I fail to see how that isn't actually relevant.

edit: After re-reading what you posted, I think you might have misheard him. He was alluding to the fact that you could play Sweet Georgia Brown as a soundtrack to the Wings passing game through the Sharks' zone, ala Harlem Globetrotters.

Edited by Travis

I fail to see how that isn't actually relevant.

edit: After re-reading what you posted, I think you might have misheard him. He was alluding to the fact that you could play Sweet Georgia Brown as a soundtrack to the Wings passing game through the Sharks' zone, ala Harlem Globetrotters.

Hello, this guy claims to be a former hockey player? Could you maybe come up with a hockey reference instead of stupid show fake basketball reference?

That's how it applies.

Hello, this guy claims to be a former hockey player? Could you maybe come up with a hockey reference instead of stupid show fake basketball reference?

That's how it applies.

I would say the application is pretty universal. At this point the Harlem Globetrotters are a pop culture reference.