Photo
* * * - - 3 votes

Why do other NHL teams' fans hate the Wings?

• Please log in to reply
88 replies to this topic

#1 FischersChick2

FischersChick2

Czecher

• PipPipPip
  • 683 posts

Posted 28 April 2010 - 01:06 PM

I'm currently writing a blog about why NHL teams' fans seem to hate the Red Wings. I'm in the process of asking fans of all the NHL teams why they seem to hate the Wings but I want to let the Wings fans get their opinions out there too.

So, Why do you think other NHL teams' fans seem to hate the Wings? Is it the players that make it this way? The owners? Bias in the media?

Any response would not only be helpful but greatly appreciated.

I've been off of the LetsGoWings.com forum for a while but DANG it's good to be back! :D

Edited by FischersChick2, 28 April 2010 - 01:22 PM.

#2 revmo10

revmo10

Prospect

• 49 posts

Posted 28 April 2010 - 01:13 PM

I think the main reason why other fans hate the Red Wings is because of the classic "Yankees Syndrome". To put it bluntly, the Red Wings are so good every year that everyone is just sick of them winning all the time. Basically, they are jealous.

#3 VanDer

VanDer

Irish Wing!

• PipPipPip
  • 654 posts

Posted 28 April 2010 - 01:26 PM

I think the main reason why other fans hate the Red Wings is because of the classic "Yankees Syndrome". To put it bluntly, the Red Wings are so good every year that everyone is just sick of them winning all the time. Basically, they are jealous.

This. It's the same in every sport for example in soccer everyone hates Man United because every year they are one of the top teams in the world. It's a compliment

#4 softshoes

softshoes

3rd Line Checker

• PipPip
  • 477 posts

Posted 28 April 2010 - 01:38 PM

Most people I know that hate the Wings hate them for 2 reasons.

1. Unless it's your team success breeds hate. "The Yankee Syndrome" is a good way to say it.

2. Us, they hate the Wings because of us. Your welcome to swap this with 1, Wings fans are insufferable to others.
"Pain or damage don't end the world. Or despair, or f***in beatin's. The world ends when you're dead. Until then you got more punishment in store.Stand it like a man, and give some back."

- Al Swearengen

#5 Trapt1307

Trapt1307

Tootoo + Hem = Win

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,043 posts

Posted 28 April 2010 - 01:38 PM

Success. A lot like people started hating the Patriots after they were so good for so long. At first, people rooted for them, then they just got sick of them.
"Scotty hated the world and treated everybody the same, from me to Steve Yzerman,'' Legace said. ''Scotty would rip anybody, and had the personality of ant."

#6 hooon

hooon

Hall-of-Famer

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,274 posts

Posted 28 April 2010 - 01:41 PM

Jealousy.
Posted Image

#7 titanium2

titanium2

Asha... I want I want!!!

• Bronze Booster
  • 10,495 posts

Posted 28 April 2010 - 01:44 PM

2. Us, they hate the Wings because of us. Your welcome to swap this with 1, Wings fans are insufferable to others.

Very true. We can definitely behave like we love the smell of our own farts, our s*** doesn't stink, etc.

But I think we can take solace in the fact that most of us at least know what we're talking about in terms of the game of hockey. It just doesn't come out in the best way. At least we've never accused the opponents of tampering with the Wings' equipment because the home team always supplies the equipment for the road team.

#8 legaleaglewingsfan

legaleaglewingsfan

4th Line Grinder

• PipPip
  • 212 posts

Posted 28 April 2010 - 01:45 PM

Our widespread nature too. We travel exceptionally well, and we are faithful if we move away from Detroit. This is a sub-addition to that reason in that they probably don't appreciate our providing their ice with Octopi. For some reason they do not see the timeless tradition in this that we do. I believe my fiancee who is a pens fan called it classless.

#9 titanium2

titanium2

Asha... I want I want!!!

• Bronze Booster
  • 10,495 posts

Posted 28 April 2010 - 01:47 PM

I believe my fiancee who is a pens fan called it classless.

Ewwwwww... How do you two co-exist? ;)

#10 esteef

esteef

Legend

• HoF Booster
  • 8,874 posts

Posted 28 April 2010 - 01:56 PM

They hate us because we are superior humans.

esteef

Posted Image

Edited by esteef, 28 April 2010 - 02:00 PM.

"The Wings haven't won a Cup without Darren McCarty since 1955."

#11 BamaWing

BamaWing

4th Line Grinder

• PipPip
  • 334 posts

Posted 28 April 2010 - 01:57 PM

From what I've been told by friends who are friends of other teams, Red Wings are easy to hate because they're everything you want your team to be. Great players, great tradition, and everything is top notch from the players, coaches, owners, GMs, and the fans.

Posted Image

#12 Lidstrom for life

Lidstrom for life

3rd Line Checker

• PipPip
  • 439 posts

Posted 28 April 2010 - 02:00 PM

Certainly it's not arrogance on the part of our fans :rolleyes:
credits to hobbit-face for my icon.

#13 Mors

Mors

The Red Death

• HoF Booster
  • 1,995 posts

Posted 28 April 2010 - 02:05 PM

They're bitter and jealous because the Red Wings have excellent owners and management, along with superior coaches and scouts.

#14 micah

micah

Hall-of-Famer

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,345 posts

Posted 28 April 2010 - 02:09 PM

1) The Wings always win.

2) The wings are seemingly emotionless hockey-bots who aren't always that fun to watch. Watching your team lose to the Flyers is still fun, chances are they'll be a fight or two to get you to cheer. Watching your team lose to the Wings is like watching an adults vs. 2nd graders baseball game. The adults are absolutely better at every part of the game, but watching superior tallents play clearly inferior teams isn't all that fun.
"It was pretty interesting," said Detroit coach Mike Babcock. "We had May in exhibition for a couple of games and no one gets hacked or whacked. When we don't have him, we get run. We don't have a team that twists off helmets at stoppages. You get tired of seeing it all the time. It's just nice when you get someone to look after that stuff."

#15 Travis

Travis

Hall-of-Famer

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,460 posts

Posted 28 April 2010 - 02:11 PM

Well the most obvious comparison question is, 'Why do you hate the Yankees?' - you can't help but get sick of a team who is constantly on top, especially when your team is struggling.

It seems the general consensus is that we're all loudmouth ****** bags, which I've never personally experienced, but don't doubt when it comes to transplanted Red Wings fans that just want to rile up their local fanbase.

cc_champs-5_zps34057ff0.png

#16 bdavis

bdavis

• Bronze Booster
  • 321 posts

Posted 28 April 2010 - 02:17 PM

Envy.

#17 skyphoenix

skyphoenix

JIMMEH

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,734 posts

Posted 28 April 2010 - 02:19 PM

I think there are people who resent that our success seems to come from our European players.

Posted Image

#18 FedorovGurl

FedorovGurl

2nd Line Scorer

• HoF Booster
  • 548 posts

Posted 28 April 2010 - 02:25 PM

They "hate" us cuz they want to be us. 'Nuff said
Welcome Back Kotter Hudler!! ".... who'd of thought they'd lead ya back here where we need ya? "

#19 Gizmo

Gizmo

1st Line Sniper

• PipPipPipPip
  • 966 posts

Posted 28 April 2010 - 02:41 PM

You nailed it... and as for the Wings fans, there's a perception that many aren't really "true" hockey fans but instead like the Wings mainly because it's "fashionable" to do so. They think that if the Wings were to hit the skids, most fans would disappear overnight.
"Cry 'Havoc' and let slip Tomas Holmstrom!!!"

"In-a da crease... outta da crease... in-a da crease... outta da crease!!!"

#20 GMRwings1983

GMRwings1983

The Killer is Me

• Silver Booster
  • 21,076 posts

Posted 28 April 2010 - 02:52 PM

Because all the calls always go our way.

:P

They think Bettman has it made for us.
According to my profile, my reputation is excellent. LOL.