• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

Sign in to follow this  
FischersChick2

Why do other NHL teams' fans hate the Wings?

Rate this topic

A lot of it comes from the fact that we HAVE a lot of fans. The perception is that people like the team because they win, not because of the team itself. I think the fans are seen as bandwagoners who wouldn't have liked the team if they were not as successful through the years.

I think that the fact that we have had such a long string of success and anyone who has come through Detroit or moved away, continues being a fan, has given off a bad vibe. And it's frustrating to others to have their arenas fill up by the opposition's supporters when it looks like they're a bunch of bandwagoners and only like their team due to their success.

They don't call it Hockeytown for nothing though. You spend some time in Michigan, you're pretty much converted for life. It's a great team and a great tradition.

Edited by The Nephilim

Just some perspective from a new Wings fan here...

from what little exposure I have had to other Wings fans (mostly on this site) I don't get the Yankee syndrome thing. I know the histories are similar, but the arrogance of Yankee fans puts them in a class by themselves among major league sports, equaled only (possibly) by Cowboys fans.

i think people are putting too much into this Yankees comparison. i think 99% of the people that use the comparison mean it only in terms of their ability to win year after year. i don't think its supposed to be an across the board comparison that means Holland matches up with Brian Cashman or that Ilitch is the same as Steinbrenner. it is just used to make a comparison to another team that often gets universally hated for their success. obviously that 02 team brought comparisons to the Yankees in terms of buying championships, but that's not why most use the Yankees analogy IMO.

i think people are putting too much into this Yankees comparison. i think 99% of the people that use the comparison mean it only in terms of their ability to win year after year. i don't think its supposed to be an across the board comparison that means Holland matches up with Brian Cashman or that Ilitch is the same as Steinbrenner. it is just used to make a comparison to another team that often gets universally hated for their success. obviously that 02 team brought comparisons to the Yankees in terms of buying championships, but that's not why most use the Yankees analogy IMO.

Before the Wings won in '02 they still hadn't won enough for people to make the Yankees comparison on winning or championships. It was all about the money, payroll and acquisitions. After the salary cap: different story.

Edited by kook_10

Guest Shoreline

The Yankee comparison holds a little weight, but I dont think its 100% accurate. Personally, I hate the Yankees not because they win, but because of how unfair it is for them to buy up all the great players they want and basically put together an all-star team every year. I dont really blame the Yankees as much as I do MLB for letting them get away with it, but I still dont like their organization. I think a better comparison with the Yankees would be the Detroit teams from a few years back, when like the Yankees, they had one of if not the biggest payrolls in Hockey, and bought their fair share of players. This is another topic alltogether though.

As far as hate for the Redwings. Part of it has to do with the success, which is always going to happen, but a lot of my dislike for the Wings are because of their fans, and how arrogant they are. An example, a good friend of mine is a Wings fan, and we give other s*** all the time obviously, but his arrogance just gets annoying sometimes. It's like this past game 7 with Phoenix, he acted all cocky even when the Wings lost game 6 at home. I mean not confident in his team, but ridiculously arrogant. He was like "I'm not worried, Detroit will win game 7 easily". During the regular season, he never thought they would miss the playoffs because of all the injuries, he just basically said they will be there in the end, period. Its like Detroit has had so much success, that its just a given that they will be there every year, and no matter what happens they will win in the end. And like I said, its not just being confident, it gets to the point to where the cockiness just gets ridiculous. Its like you cant even talk to some Wings fans about Hockey because they just believe their team will always be there, end of story. They never deal in what ifs, or get nervous before a game, they just say "oh, we will win", and thats the end of it. Obviously, not all Wings fans are like this, but a lot of them that I deal with are.

At the end of the day Detroit is a very good organization, and even with a salary cap have remaind very successful. I respect that, but I still have my dislike for the team and most of their fans. Luckily, their are a lot of level headed Wings on this board, with a few of the before mentioned fans scatterd around.

If you hate the Wings and especially their fans this much (guess what fans are here?) why the f*** are you on their forums? Duh.

Guest Shoreline

Actually we dislike Crosby because of the actions of the League not necessarily Crosby. They hail him as The Next One, when really he's just a talented kid- like Zetterberg and Datsyuk. But why you elevate him up to Gretzky status without earning it- it draws alot of ire from those that are being purposefully neglected. If he had come to his reputation organically I think he could have earned some respect, but his lack of maturity (which is natural since he's so young) plus this false title makes him the crybaby douchebag that he is.

Mmm, no, can't blame the league, Crosby was hyped as a potential Gretzky-like player long before he even entered the NHL. Might want to try again. And hype? That happens in every league. I don't agree with comparing one player to another in any context (i.e the next Gretzky or Messier or Yzerman), but the fact that he has not only been amongst the league leaders in scoring every single year of his career thus far, and is a candidate for awards on a yearly basis, including winning them, and that he has a Stanley Cup victory already at such a young age, it was one of those rare cases where the hype was justified. As for the hate, well, that's not as justified. It's actually very sad that I get to hear "Crosby Sucks" chants during a game against the Sharks or the Coyotes. Now I can't make fun of Blues, Blackhawks, and Predators fans, who are guilty of "Red Wings Suck" chants even when their team isn't playing the Wings, without making fun of fellow Wing fans. We're really sunk that low, and Crosby is in the fans heads. Pretty sad.

1) other fans get tired of seeing the wings win

2) wings fans can be arrogant, stuck up, whiny, rightous bastards that no other fan can stand

3) there are wings fans EVERYWHERE! do you realize how annoying it is to have wings chants start in your home building cuz there are that many fans at a wings away game?

1) other fans get tired of seeing the wings win

Legitimate.

2) wings fans can be arrogant, stuck up, whiny, righteous bastards that no other fan can stand

Same goes for the fan bases of every other sports team, NHL or otherwise.

3) there are wings fans EVERYWHERE! do you realize how annoying it is to have wings chants start in your home building cuz there are that many fans at a wings away game?

Maybe if your team was better, the opposition's fans wouldn't drown out the home team's fans. I hear Baltimore Orioles' fans ***** about this constantly - that Yankees and Red Sox fans out number their own fans at Camden Yards. Well.....maybe if your team didn't suck so bad you'd have more fans there and then the other teams' fans wouldn't be so noticeable.

Its mostly envy of how we are run and how we are successful. The problem with comparing us to the yankees (which i absolutely hate) is that they are governed two completely different ways as far as play acquisition. There is no salary cap in baseball. There is a salary cap in hockey. Obviously this isn't that old but yes we maintained success in a league that is promoting everyone be the same kind of thing. The other reason why people hate yankee's fans is because in all honesty they have a holier than thou attitude because its new york. New york is a major hub of everything from sports to entertainment to politics and thus makes them think that new york is the best place ever and no other place can even compare. I think we as detroit fans differ in that we are proud of out team but don't have bad accents that only enhance the ****** attitudes.

The other reason why people hate yankee's fans is because in all honesty they have a holier than thou attitude because its new york.

As a Yankees fan that has been hated on many, many, MANY times over the last 16 years......that ain't even close to true. People hate Yankees fans, absolutely.....and I love that.....but it has nothing to do with the fact the Yankees play in New York City.

Quite a few fans have a holier-than-thou attitude (which irks me, but I can't do anything about that) but it's more than likely connected to the team's past and current successes than because of the city they play in. That's ridiculous. Why would you hate a team's fans because of the city they play in? They have no control over that. If people hate Red Wings fans because of the city of Detroit, they're morons.

"Maybe if your team was better, the opposition's fans wouldn't drown out the home team's fans. I hear Baltimore Orioles' fans ***** about this constantly - that Yankees and Red Sox fans out number their own fans at Camden Yards. Well.....maybe if your team didn't suck so bad you'd have more fans there and then the other teams' fans wouldn't be so noticeable"

_____

my team is better..... in fact my team right now is up 3-0 on the wings in the series. sharks sell out almost every game at home, both during regular season and the playoffs. they do not suck, and have been constantly supported by the local fan base. but the wings have had SO much success in the last 20 years the bandwaggoners have overflowed. it has nothing to do with whether my team "sucks" or not. there are just a crap-ton of red wings fans at every wings game no matter where they play.

no other team that comes to the shark tank has the fan turnout the wings have. by your logic, half the teams in the league should bring more people out to the shark tank.

I thought it was cool that my friend's new boyfriend was a hockey fan (Canadiens fan - could be worse, I thought ;)), until after the Olympics, when he began denouncing all Red Wings fans as irrational Crosby haters. I made a comment about it, expecting some generally dismissive ribbing in return, and was not expecting him to open the flood gates of his rage against the Wings. He explained that he hates the Red Wings for being "non-traditional" and buying all of their talent and Cups. He also claimed that all Wings fans are terrible people because we all hate Crosby for no reason and we cheer for Bertuzzi, then eloquently implied that this means every Wings fan is happy about/thinks Bertuzzi was not at fault for the Steve Moore incident.

When I asked for clarification and tried to counter-argue some of his points, he told me to shut up and learn not to express my opinions in places where nobody cares, and completed his impenetrable argument by saying "from this point on, only fans of teams with 24 Cups are allowed to comment." :lol:

I know that every team has fans like this that can't be reasoned with, but I think most Wings fans have had at least one experience like this. Some of the hatred other fans feel towards the Red Wings isn't really justifiable. They just want someone to hate.