• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

Sign in to follow this  
FischersChick2

Why do other NHL teams' fans hate the Wings?

Rate this topic

I'm currently writing a blog about why NHL teams' fans seem to hate the Red Wings. I'm in the process of asking fans of all the NHL teams why they seem to hate the Wings but I want to let the Wings fans get their opinions out there too.

So, Why do you think other NHL teams' fans seem to hate the Wings? Is it the players that make it this way? The owners? Bias in the media?

Any response would not only be helpful but greatly appreciated.

I've been off of the LetsGoWings.com forum for a while but DANG it's good to be back! :D

Edited by FischersChick2

I think the main reason why other fans hate the Red Wings is because of the classic "Yankees Syndrome". To put it bluntly, the Red Wings are so good every year that everyone is just sick of them winning all the time. Basically, they are jealous.

I think the main reason why other fans hate the Red Wings is because of the classic "Yankees Syndrome". To put it bluntly, the Red Wings are so good every year that everyone is just sick of them winning all the time. Basically, they are jealous.

This. It's the same in every sport for example in soccer everyone hates Man United because every year they are one of the top teams in the world. It's a compliment

Most people I know that hate the Wings hate them for 2 reasons.

1. Unless it's your team success breeds hate. "The Yankee Syndrome" is a good way to say it.

2. Us, they hate the Wings because of us. Your welcome to swap this with 1, Wings fans are insufferable to others.

2. Us, they hate the Wings because of us. Your welcome to swap this with 1, Wings fans are insufferable to others.

Very true. We can definitely behave like we love the smell of our own farts, our s*** doesn't stink, etc.

But I think we can take solace in the fact that most of us at least know what we're talking about in terms of the game of hockey. It just doesn't come out in the best way. At least we've never accused the opponents of tampering with the Wings' equipment because the home team always supplies the equipment for the road team.

Our widespread nature too. We travel exceptionally well, and we are faithful if we move away from Detroit. This is a sub-addition to that reason in that they probably don't appreciate our providing their ice with Octopi. For some reason they do not see the timeless tradition in this that we do. I believe my fiancee who is a pens fan called it classless.

From what I've been told by friends who are friends of other teams, Red Wings are easy to hate because they're everything you want your team to be. Great players, great tradition, and everything is top notch from the players, coaches, owners, GMs, and the fans.

Guest micah

1) The Wings always win.

2) The wings are seemingly emotionless hockey-bots who aren't always that fun to watch. Watching your team lose to the Flyers is still fun, chances are they'll be a fight or two to get you to cheer. Watching your team lose to the Wings is like watching an adults vs. 2nd graders baseball game. The adults are absolutely better at every part of the game, but watching superior tallents play clearly inferior teams isn't all that fun.

Well the most obvious comparison question is, 'Why do you hate the Yankees?' - you can't help but get sick of a team who is constantly on top, especially when your team is struggling.

It seems the general consensus is that we're all loudmouth ****** bags, which I've never personally experienced, but don't doubt when it comes to transplanted Red Wings fans that just want to rile up their local fanbase.

You nailed it... and as for the Wings fans, there's a perception that many aren't really "true" hockey fans but instead like the Wings mainly because it's "fashionable" to do so. They think that if the Wings were to hit the skids, most fans would disappear overnight.

The only reason is jealousy. All of the other excuses, and trust me I have heard many, are just that.

Just put yourself in the shoes of a die hard St. Louis Blues (Never won a Cup despite 19 straight playoff appearances) or Chicago Blackhawks (Have not won in 49 years) fan and you will see what I mean. Success breeds jealousy.

I believe that all real hockey fans deep down love the Wings and hate themselves for it. Now hear me out: You're sitting on your couch in Denver and Dats puts a ******* spell on Craig Anderson and the puck is shelved before Anderson has felt the breeze. You want to turn to high-five your buddy sooo bad because you're here for the show (and there are no true Avs fans) but you absolutely can't for fear of breaking up your friend's misty pout. Deep inside he wants to do the same thing out of amazement and appreciation but doesn't want to feel like a traitor. This buildup causes deep frustration and spills out all over the place as I HATE (that I love) THE RED WINGS!!!

Hell, I dunno.

As a dyed-in-the-wool Yankees fan, I completely agree with this. People who hate the Yankees don't hate them because of the players or the ownership or the new stadium or anything else like that. They hate them because they're good, and because they win. I've had to deal with people like this for the last 16 years now, that includes before the dynasty era with Torre at the helm. I was a fan when Buck Showalter was the manager. It's jealously pure and simple, and the more they say it isn't, the more it's obvious that it is.

The Wings are the same way. We've had almost two decades now of going to the playoffs and since 1997, have won 4 Stanley Cups. Considering that I believe we're the only team in that time span to win multiple cups.....that's damn impressive. Players will take substantial pay decreases in order to stay here, including signing essentially lifetime contracts so that there's no chance they'll end up elsewhere. We have an amazing owner who goes out of his way to make the team more like a family than a professional sports club. Not to mention, great fans.

So yeah.....it's jealousy. We win, we're good at winning and everyone else can't stand it. In short, they can kiss our asses. :cool:

mhmm ... i must be atracted to winning teams ... Yankees Pats and Celtics are my favourite teams outside of the Wings ... Jeter=Yankees , Brady=Pats , and Ray Allen (best actor that plays pro sports ever!)= Celtics ... awesomeness