Photo
* * * - - 3 votes

Why do other NHL teams' fans hate the Wings?

• Please log in to reply
88 replies to this topic

#21 NC WINGS FAN

NC WINGS FAN

4th Line Grinder

• PipPip
  • 270 posts

Posted 28 April 2010 - 02:53 PM

The only reason is jealousy. All of the other excuses, and trust me I have heard many, are just that.

Just put yourself in the shoes of a die hard St. Louis Blues (Never won a Cup despite 19 straight playoff appearances) or Chicago Blackhawks (Have not won in 49 years) fan and you will see what I mean. Success breeds jealousy.

#22 steverman

steverman

Old time hockey, coach.

• PipPipPipPip
  • 874 posts

Posted 28 April 2010 - 02:53 PM

I believe that all real hockey fans deep down love the Wings and hate themselves for it. Now hear me out: You're sitting on your couch in Denver and Dats puts af****** spell on Craig Anderson and the puck is shelved before Anderson has felt the breeze. You want to turn to high-five your buddy sooo bad because you're here for the show (and there are no true Avs fans) but you absolutely can't for fear of breaking up your friend's misty pout. Deep inside he wants to do the same thing out of amazement and appreciation but doesn't want to feel like a traitor. This buildup causes deep frustration and spills out all over the place as I HATE (that I love) THE RED WINGS!!!

Hell, I dunno.
ŞŦΞ√ΞЯMÃИ

#23 Electrophile

Electrophile

Ipsa scientia potestas est.

• Silver Booster
  • 9,390 posts

Posted 28 April 2010 - 03:01 PM

I think the main reason why other fans hate the Red Wings is because of the classic "Yankees Syndrome". To put it bluntly, the Red Wings are so good every year that everyone is just sick of them winning all the time. Basically, they are jealous.

As a dyed-in-the-wool Yankees fan, I completely agree with this. People who hate the Yankees don't hate them because of the players or the ownership or the new stadium or anything else like that. They hate them because they're good, and because they win. I've had to deal with people like this for the last 16 years now, that includes before the dynasty era with Torre at the helm. I was a fan when Buck Showalter was the manager. It's jealously pure and simple, and the more they say it isn't, the more it's obvious that it is.

The Wings are the same way. We've had almost two decades now of going to the playoffs and since 1997, have won 4 Stanley Cups. Considering that I believe we're the only team in that time span to win multiple cups.....that's damn impressive. Players will take substantial pay decreases in order to stay here, including signing essentially lifetime contracts so that there's no chance they'll end up elsewhere. We have an amazing owner who goes out of his way to make the team more like a family than a professional sports club. Not to mention, great fans.

So yeah.....it's jealousy. We win, we're good at winning and everyone else can't stand it. In short, they can kiss our asses. :cool:

electrophilewingsfloyd.jpg

"People assume that time is a strict progression of cause to effect, but *actually* from a non-linear, non-subjective viewpoint - it's more like a big ball of wibbly wobbly... time-y wimey... stuff."  -- The Doctor

#24 esteef

esteef

Legend

• HoF Booster
  • 8,874 posts

Posted 28 April 2010 - 03:06 PM

f*** the Yankees!

esteef
"The Wings haven't won a Cup without Darren McCarty since 1955."

#25 PROBIE4PREZ

PROBIE4PREZ

In Holland I trust.

• PipPipPip
  • 740 posts

Posted 28 April 2010 - 03:15 PM

mhmm ... i must be atracted to winning teams ... Yankees Pats and Celtics are my favourite teams outside of the Wings ... Jeter=Yankees , Brady=Pats , and Ray Allen (best actor that plays pro sports ever!)= Celtics ... awesomeness
"I mean, the best thing for my knee, for anyone's knee, is to never play again and retire. But I'm not going to do that." o-captain my captain

#26 Jesusberg

Jesusberg

1st Line All-Star

• Gold Booster
  • 1,607 posts

Posted 28 April 2010 - 03:18 PM

Because they all want to have intercourse with us

#27 Barrie

Barrie

Legend

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,911 posts

Posted 28 April 2010 - 03:21 PM

Very true. We can definitely behave like we love the smell of our own farts, our s*** doesn't stink, etc.

I think too us Wings fans think we're holier than thou. Our team is superior, so we think we're superior.

Also, I don't know what it is with the rest of you, but because I've seen 4 Stanley Cups and 6 trips to the finals, I don't get involved in those petty playoff hockey, "well your team sucks, my team is gonna win!!", arguments or cheer for a team my friend's team is playing against in a series just to bother him or her... Those kind of things come from frustration, I'm not frustrated.

I'll admit I'm kind of a snob when it comes to talking hockey, because the Detroit Red Wings are the Mighty Detroit Red Wings. People have to give me something intelligent or I'll change the subject really fast. :showoff:
Lets Go:
Red Wings
Tigers
Roughriders
Lions
Spartans
Pistons

#28 cusimano_brothers

cusimano_brothers

Legend

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,605 posts

Posted 28 April 2010 - 03:28 PM

People too often look down on sports franchises that go from the outhouse to the penthouse.

"Mess up tomorrow, don't mess up now".

- Harry James Benson, CBE.

#29 NC WINGS FAN

NC WINGS FAN

4th Line Grinder

• PipPip
  • 270 posts

Posted 28 April 2010 - 03:47 PM

People too often look down on sports franchises that go from the outhouse to the penthouse.

Personally, I think it is the other way around. People like to see consistent bottom dwellers suddenly become successful.

The problem most have with the Redwings is that very few remember the days when they could not give away seats to the old Olympia or shiny new Joe. The fans who do remember those days were either too young or did not follow the Redwings as closely as they do today.

With that said, it's likely not "Rags to Riches" that comes to mind when people think of the Detroit Redwings.

#30 cusimano_brothers

cusimano_brothers

Legend

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,605 posts

Posted 28 April 2010 - 04:07 PM

Personally, I think it is the other way around. People like to see consistent bottom dwellers suddenly become successful.

And what happens when those bottom dwellers suddenly become unsuccessful again?

#31 dobbles

dobbles

1st Line Sniper

• PipPipPipPip
  • 864 posts

Posted 28 April 2010 - 04:08 PM

i think are several reasons people dislike the wings. a few have been mentioned, but just to make my list complete i will include them anyways:

• yankee syndrome: been commented on tons already.
  • referee/league favortism: even though most of us would disagree, people still think that the wings recieve way too many calls in their favor. personally, i can think of 2 big reasons for this: holmstrom and eddie olczyk. holmstrom because people like to think he gets away with too much in front of the net and don't realize how many good goals get called back; olczyk because he and other announcers always talk about how many illegal picks the wings run as if they are the only team in all of hockey to ever try to do it.
  • fans: all teams have bad fans. we are no different. but the bad fans are always easiest to remember. and when lots of people are looking for reasons, this can be a convenient one.
  • europeans: unfortunately, theres still a lot of fans that think all players need to come from alberta and get 80 fighting majors a season. there is a lot of dislike for the european 'sissy' hockey the wings play. i personally think its bubkus, but lots of folks really think its legit.
  • attendance: regardless of reasons, fans see the empty seats at the joe and instantly assume that wings fans don't care. i felt this was a separate issue than just fanhood in general.

those are just some thoughts off the top of my head.

I love Maltby, but to say he wasn't a ****** is a dis-service to his career of douchebaggery.

#32 softshoes

softshoes

3rd Line Checker

• PipPip
  • 474 posts

Posted 28 April 2010 - 04:12 PM

Oh yeah, I forgot to add this to my post:

People absolutely hate that Detroit is called Hockeytown. I mean hate it to the point of being irrational about it.
"Pain or damage don't end the world. Or despair, or f***in beatin's. The world ends when you're dead. Until then you got more punishment in store.Stand it like a man, and give some back."

- Al Swearengen

#33 cusimano_brothers

cusimano_brothers

Legend

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,605 posts

Posted 28 April 2010 - 04:17 PM

Phoenix / Glendale would have scooped that one.

#34 Wings3:16

Wings3:16

1st Line All-Star

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,419 posts

Posted 28 April 2010 - 04:21 PM

I think its because of how many times we say the word "classy" in the run of a day
Wings in 2013...Bring the Cup back to Hockeytown!

#35 Trapt1307

Trapt1307

Tootoo + Hem = Win

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,043 posts

Posted 28 April 2010 - 04:47 PM

mhmm ... i must be atracted to winning teams ... Yankees Pats and Celtics are my favourite teams outside of the Wings ... Jeter=Yankees , Brady=Pats , and Ray Allen (best actor that plays pro sports ever!)= Celtics ... awesomeness

Or you're just a bandwaggon fan.

;)
"Scotty hated the world and treated everybody the same, from me to Steve Yzerman,'' Legace said. ''Scotty would rip anybody, and had the personality of ant."

#36 MidMichSteve

MidMichSteve

Thanks to #5

• HoF Booster
  • 4,225 posts

Posted 28 April 2010 - 04:58 PM

It sure isn't because the Red Wings are featured in too many NHL commercials or promotions.

From now on, Patrick Roy will be rolled out to and from the Avs' bench like Hannibal Lecter. - BottleOfSmoke

#37 kook_10

kook_10

I Like Our Team

• Gold Booster
  • 2,226 posts

Posted 28 April 2010 - 04:59 PM

As a dyed-in-the-wool Yankees fan, I completely agree with this. People who hate the Yankees don't hate them because of the players or the ownership or the new stadium or anything else like that. They hate them because they're good, and because they win. I've had to deal with people like this for the last 16 years now, that includes before the dynasty era with Torre at the helm. I was a fan when Buck Showalter was the manager. It's jealously pure and simple, and the more they say it isn't, the more it's obvious that it is.

The Wings are the same way. We've had almost two decades now of going to the playoffs and since 1997, have won 4 Stanley Cups. Considering that I believe we're the only team in that time span to win multiple cups.....that's damn impressive. Players will take substantial pay decreases in order to stay here, including signing essentially lifetime contracts so that there's no chance they'll end up elsewhere. We have an amazing owner who goes out of his way to make the team more like a family than a professional sports club. Not to mention, great fans.

So yeah.....it's jealousy. We win, we're good at winning and everyone else can't stand it. In short, they can kiss our asses. :cool:

ehh, people most definitely do hate the Yanks because of the players, the stadium and the championship rings - because they were all bought and paid for. They hate the ownership because they can pay for rings. The Wings were hated for the very same reason up until a few years ago, and some of the ongoing hate is residual.

works every time

#38 Electrophile

Electrophile

Ipsa scientia potestas est.

• Silver Booster
  • 9,390 posts

Posted 28 April 2010 - 05:26 PM

ehh, people most definitely do hate the Yanks because of the players, the stadium and the championship rings - because they were all bought and paid for. They hate the ownership because they can pay for rings. The Wings were hated for the very same reason up until a few years ago, and some of the ongoing hate is residual.

Not to turn this into an MLB discussion, but I get real tired of that which I bolded. All teams pay for their championships -- no one pays their players in circus peanuts. The Yankees spend a lot of money on players because they can and because the system allows for it. No one said anything about Boston and their two championships, when they had exorbitantly high payrolls, in fact the 2004 squad is the highest-payrolled team to win a WS. The majority of the players on the dynasty teams and the current team are products of our farm system, not free agents or trade acquisitions. We "bought" our championships the same way every other team that has won a WS has "bought" their championship. It's asinine to think there's something wrong with a team spending the money they have on the players they want to get the results they desire. It's called capitalism.

Whenever people use the above bolded excuse for why they hate the Yankees, it says one thing and one thing only: I'm jealous that my team doesn't have the financial resources to compete in the current market and therefore I'm going to hate the team that can spend the most. Period.

electrophilewingsfloyd.jpg

"People assume that time is a strict progression of cause to effect, but *actually* from a non-linear, non-subjective viewpoint - it's more like a big ball of wibbly wobbly... time-y wimey... stuff."  -- The Doctor

#39 Jwo

Jwo

Let's go Red Wings!

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,663 posts

Posted 28 April 2010 - 05:41 PM

They're bitter and jealous because the Red Wings have excellent owners and management, along with superior coaches and scouts.

Basically they're not Hank Scorpio version. hehehe love the icon.
FireCaptain - "THIS ISN'T DATELINE, BUT WE'RE HERE TO STOP A PREDATOR."
Du, du, du, du, du, du, du, du, du, du, du, du,
When I see you Red Wings,
I go out of my head,
I just can't get enough,
I just can't get enough,
All the things you do to me and all the things you said,
I just can't get enough.
I just can't get enough
We slip and slide and we fall in love and I just can't seem to get enough of...
Du, du, du, du, du, du, du, du, du, du, du, du

#40 kook_10

kook_10

I Like Our Team

• Gold Booster
  • 2,226 posts

Posted 28 April 2010 - 05:45 PM

Not to turn this into an MLB discussion, but I get real tired of that which I bolded. All teams pay for their championships -- no one pays their players in circus peanuts. The Yankees spend a lot of money on players because they can and because the system allows for it. No one said anything about Boston and their two championships, when they had exorbitantly high payrolls, in fact the 2004 squad is the highest-payrolled team to win a WS. The majority of the players on the dynasty teams and the current team are products of our farm system, not free agents or trade acquisitions. We "bought" our championships the same way every other team that has won a WS has "bought" their championship. It's asinine to think there's something wrong with a team spending the money they have on the players they want to get the results they desire. It's called capitalism.

Whenever people use the above bolded excuse for why they hate the Yankees, it says one thing and one thing only: I'm jealous that my team doesn't have the financial resources to compete in the current market and therefore I'm going to hate the team that can spend the most. Period.

I can't really say I have been a baseball fan since Alan Trammell and Lou Whitaker retired, but I root for the Tigers and the Yankees should there be anything exciting enough for me to root for. That said, you definitely have Yankee goggles on (*cough*cough* Clemens, A Rod, Matsui, Sebathia, Damon, Texeira, Burnett and on and on). As far as the Wings go - they have never went on spending sprees approaching anything near what the Yankees have done (ok maybe in 02).

works every time