• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

king_malice

Yzerman Tampa's NEW GM ?!

Rate this topic

If I heard right, Dallas asked for permission to talk to him too.

As much as I like Stevie, Holland is #1 when it comes to being the GM. If "The Captain" wants to try his hand in TB as GM, I'm cool with that.

Just now on the Satellite Hotstove on Hockey Night in Canada, Pierre LeBrun said he spoke to Stevie today and while he won't comment specifically on being a candidate for the Tampa Bay GM job, he said he wants to be a GM and he knows that it's going to have to be somewhere other than Detroit, because of Ken Holland's contract extension. So it sounds like it's just a matter of time before Stevie leaves. That makes me sad - to think of Stevie working for another NHL team is depressing. But if that is what he wants to do and he knows it won't happen in Detroit, then I suppose he would have to move on. So I guess the question is no longer IF he leaves Detroit, but WHEN.

I'd hate to see Steve working or being a part of any other organization, because he's the living embodiment of the Detroit Red Wings. It would be like Joe Montana working for the Patriots or something. Or Derek Jeter getting traded to the Red Sox.

That said, we can't keep him chained to a chair for the rest of his life. If he's going to go, I at least hope he's happy and successful wherever he ends up.

Guest EZBAKETHAGANGSTA

I can't think that would be a good career move for Stevie. Yeah, he may be the GM but all the politics around that place is going to doom any GM from the start. Aren't they still run by a board of people who don't care about hockey or know anything about assembling a team?

He needs to go somewhere that will give him some actual control over how the team is made up.

Agreed. While it sucks either way to see him leaving, I wish him the best, and that is better than ******* Tampa Bay

I can't think that would be a good career move for Stevie. Yeah, he may be the GM but all the politics around that place is going to doom any GM from the start. Aren't they still run by a board of people who don't care about hockey or know anything about assembling a team?

He needs to go somewhere that will give him some actual control over how the team is made up.

No, they have a new owner and have cleaned out the front office and coaching staff.

Starting over with brand new staff.

I think it's just good for Yzerman to get some NHL GM experience under his belt before replacing Holland. Let him develop there and come back after few years.

How old is Kenny, mid 50's? He's not going anywhere anytime soon. I agree. Stevie will take over with some experience once the job opens and

I mean, A) yeah it sucks if stevie peaced, but it's not like we don't already his heart is here, forever

and B) with the success he's had in the past 12 months (winning a OLYMPIC GOLD MEDAL) he deserves to be top dog somewhere

Good luck Stevie Y! We love you!

He may just go somewhere else to get his feet wet in the NHL GM pool then when Ken Holland hangs up his hat, he could come back and manage the Wings. And yes I do believe the reason he is getting this attention is because of the Olympics and also the success he had with the World Championships, too (a gold medal and a silver medal). He has proven he can build a winning team, at least for a tournament. He deserves the chance to build an NHL team. I think all of us had hoped, in a perfect world, Stevie would simply be patient, doing his thing for the Wings and managing the occasional Canadian team while Ken Holland sat in the big chair. But that's not realistic. We are fortunate we've had him in Detroit for this long, and it's looking like the time to let him go is coming sooner than we'd like. That doesn't mean it's going to be any easier to see him working for someone else.

Here is the latest from ESPN -

Hockey Hall of Famer Steve Yzerman told us earlier this season he was ready to be an NHL GM and the suitors began to surface this week when TSN of Canada's Darren Dreger reported Yzerman was among a group of names on the list for the vacant GM job in Tampa.

Yzerman refused to comment on the Tampa situation, but the Red Wings vice president did say this regarding his future:

"I'm very lucky and happy to have a position with the Red Wings," Yzerman told ESPN.com. "I would love to run a team one day and realize I will have to leave here to do that. But the situation has to be right, for me and my family. Believe it or not, being a part of this organization and living in Detroit is something I cherish.

"[but] if the right opportunity presents itself, I would definitely consider it."

Does the Tampa situation fit his criteria as the "right opportunity"? Again, Yzerman would not comment Saturday.

Meanwhile, Wings GM Ken Holland and assistant GM Jim Nill are both on the verge of firming up multiyear contract extensions. Their current deals run through next season. It's a no-brainer; Holland and Nill are the best 1-2 punch in the NHL, for my money. But it also ties in to Yzerman because it would stress the fact he really does have to leave town to get his own GM job. Fact is, Yzerman knew that all along and never once considered the Wings GM job a possibility.

Link - Washington Captials GM George McPhee says Bruce Boudreau is staying put; Stevie Y's future - ESPN

Didn't Holland once say that when Lids hung 'em up, he was going to follow Lids out the door? Maybe it was a joke....

Maybe this is a few years in a GM role, getting his chops, then coming back to run the Wings type deal?

Once he leaves he's likely gone forever. No matter how much he loves the Wings organization, he'll be starting a career of his own.

What are the odds that Holland's retirement will coincide with a year when Yzerman's contract somewhere else is up? He's not going to finangle his own contracts in the hopes that maybe it'll be perfectly timed with an opening at the Wings.

But I wish him good luck wherever he goes, but as much of a legend as he is, Holland is THE legend among GMs and under no circumstances would I let him or Nill go.

God I hope he doesn't go to a Canadian team. I wonder how many new fans Tampa would get if they hired yzerman, like us wings fans I know I would root Tampa

Plus I wonder if he would think about the fact that Tampa is in the East and the only time he would have to face us when it matters would be SC

God I hope he doesn't go to a Canadian team. I wonder how many new fans Tampa would get if they hired yzerman, like us wings fans I know I would root Tampa

I wouldn't root for Tampa if Steve took a job there. I'm a Red Wings fan, not a Lightning fan. I would hope he's successful because I wouldn't wish him to fail, but it's not like I'd turn around and be their biggest fan ever.