• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

Sign in to follow this  
Pavrik Zettersyuk

Ovi's postgame

Rate this topic

I wouldn't expect anything else, he obviously wants to win and that what he plays the game for. He played his part, hockey's a team game, and unfortunately for him he had a couple no shows playing along side him.

I would hate to be part of the media in that instance...

Backstrom is a alright playmaker right now and will get better in the years to come, but he is still more of a natural goal scorer then playmaker, just imagine the numbers Ovi could put up with a legit playmaker.

Backstrom is a legit playmaker. Hell he's easily a top 3 playmaker in my book. He's an unbelievable passer, not to mention 100 points by the age of 22? This guy is underrated as all hell.

Semin and Green were pitiful, outside shots, shying away from corner battles, giveaways, hardly backcheckin... You just can't win with two of your top players playing like that, scary thing is Washington almost did.

They have amazing talent, and it would be extremely scary if they could actually find a coach that's philosophy goes beyond "Get puck, shoot puck."

ovetchin is not paid to gain symphaty in LGW forums. So, discussion from this point of view is aburdity.

the wings are not paid to gain support in LGW forums. So, discussion from any point concerning the wings by fans is aburdity [sic].

They have amazing talent, and it would be extremely scary if they could actually find a coach that's philosophy goes beyond "Get puck, shoot puck."

The real scary thing is that Bruce B said he thought the Caps played a "near perfect game" whilst the habs played a "perfect game".

He needs to wake up.

the wings are not paid to gain support in LGW forums. So, discussion from any point concerning the wings by fans is aburdity [sic].

My point was that some here do not have to take everything as wings-related eg. "I like ovetchin because of he is enemy of crosby and crosby is enemy of red wings" or "I guess /insert player's name from Red wings roster/ would have said something more politically correct"

Ovetchin said what he said and this has nothing to do with um...zetterberg or crosby.

Edited by hokike

Seriously? :lol: Boudreau is awful.

Yep it's the first thing he says in his post game presser haha. Exact words were "I thought we played a perfect game for the most part"

I guess technically he's right if "for the most part" means they had a great pre-game warm up or something..

Edited by crotty99

Yep it's the first thing he says in his post game presser haha. Exact words were "I thought we played a perfect game for the most part"

I guess technically he's right if "for the most part" means they had a great pre-game warm up or something..

:lol:

Guest mindfly

Could you imagine Lidstrom acting like that after similar loss :lol:

Man players are different...

Edited by mindfly

My point was that some here do not have to take everything as wings-related eg. "I like ovetchin because of he is enemy of crosby and crosby is enemy of red wings" or "I guess /insert player's name from Red wings roster/ would have said something more politically correct"

Ovetchin said what he said and this has nothing to do with um...zetterberg or crosby.

i'm sort of having a hard time making out your point here, honestly. you're pissed because people like ovechkin because he's a rival to crosby? you're pissed because his post-game interview had nothing to do with the penguins or the red wings?

i'm honestly baffled. this thread was created to discuss ovie's post-game interview, not to compare him to crosby, not to compare him to zetterberg, not to compare the caps to the wings or to s*** on or even praise AO.

you say, "Ovetchin said what he said and this has nothing to do with um...zetterberg or crosby." i couldn't agree more, unless you want to debate the standard american-english transliteration of ovechkin's surname. this thread was not really created to contrast ovie with Z or crosby -- it was made to discuss the actual interview in question.

Could you imagine Lidstrom acting like that after similar loss :lol:

Man players are different...

no.

but lids is a player who has seen way, way more than ovie, and, though he has certainly been held on a pedestal, has not been a "face of the league" the way ovie has. lids has won cups; ovie hasn't. lids has been an instrumental part of cup-winning and first-round-losing teams his whole career -- ovie hasn't won a cup, and, in his youth, is not as acclimated to the ups and downs of NHL playoff hockey. so of course they're going to react differently.

but lids is a player who has seen way, way more than ovie, and, though he has certainly been held on a pedestal, has not been a "face of the league" the way ovie has. lids has won cups; ovie hasn't. lids has been an instrumental part of cup-winning and first-round-losing teams his whole career -- ovie hasn't won a cup, and, in his youth, is not as acclimated to the ups and downs of NHL playoff hockey. so of course they're going to react differently.

Backstrom didn't act like Ovie in his postgame. Ovie hasn't been the same since the Olympics, I don't think he handles losing that great.

Guest EZBAKETHAGANGSTA

Whilst I agree he has a massive desire to win, I think it clouds his judgement sometimes. Game 7 is a perfect example, you could see whenever he touched the puck how badly he wanted it, but he would always try and do to much. He seemed like he was trying to go solo alot of the time and that's just not gonna cut it in the playoffs.

When you're by far the best player on the team you can do that, it's not like anyone else really was an option. Seeing as I would be utterly shocked if the Caps do not win at least 1 cup during his tenure there, I think it is a bit early to call him a playoff no show.

Backstrom didn't act like Ovie in his postgame. Ovie hasn't been the same since the Olympics, I don't think he handles losing that great.

I didn't watch the post games of either, but generally speaking, most people don't handle losing well, so I don't hold it against him too much. I wasn't a big fan at how he handled the media at the Olympics though (i.e. refusing to speak....even before losing). I understand the rationale, but I think he has a bit of an obligation there.

With respect to losing the series, especially game 7, you can try and point a finger at Green or Ovechkin or whoever, but I buy into more of the thought that there is a coaching problem. Ovechkin did try to do too much last night and does so on occassion, he tried to do everything himself, which he does tend to do. His shifts are too long, leaving him unable to back check at the end of shifts (part of the problem on the Moore goal). I don't fault him too much on that though, he's an extremely competitive guy and he's trying to do everything he can to win....I think the coach needs to reign him in better.

When you're by far the best player on the team you can do that, it's not like anyone else really was an option. Seeing as I would be utterly shocked if the Caps do not win at least 1 cup during his tenure there, I think it is a bit early to call him a playoff no show.

Trying to do everything yourself simply does not work in the NHL. It might in the NBA, but not the NHL. I also think you are not giving enough credit to some of his teammates. Backstrom is one hell of a hockey player, he didn't score 100+ points because he was riding Ovechkin's coattails. If you watch him play, you can clearly see how good he is. He definately benefits by playing with Ovechkin, but Ovechkin also benefits by playing with Backstrom....a lot.

No he does have options. Sure they weren't all clicking but trying to do it all on your own is silly, makes the other teams job much easier. A little bit of poise and a little less panic.

Edited by crotty99

Guest EZBAKETHAGANGSTA

Trying to do everything yourself simply does not work in the NHL. It might in the NBA, but not the NHL. I also think you are not giving enough credit to some of his teammates. Backstrom is one hell of a hockey player, he didn't score 100+ points because he was riding Ovechkin's coattails. If you watch him play, you can clearly see how good he is. He definately benefits by playing with Ovechkin, but Ovechkin also benefits by playing with Backstrom....a lot.

For one game it sure can. And I never thought Backstrom was playing bad, I know how good he is. I was more referring to Washington's 2nd line, Semin and Green.

Who's to say how someone should act? He is who he is. I think the disappointment is appropriate and he can feel how he feels. People are used to his jovial, carefree, funny interviews and love all of his hilarious quips so maybe this comes off as bitter or whatever as compared to his usual banter.

I love Alex ... sigh .... and was hoping for a Caps/Wings cup final this year.

Guest EZBAKETHAGANGSTA

No he does have options. Sure they weren't all clicking but trying to do it all on your own is silly, makes the other teams job much easier. A little bit of poise and a little less panic.

I for one, feel that this poise will eventually come. He is young, and if he had one of his usual dominant games last night everyone would be talking about how he can take over a game single handedly like he did agaisnt the Pen's last year, rather than how selfish of a player he is.

For one game it sure can. And I never thought Backstrom was playing bad, I know how good he is. I was more referring to Washington's 2nd line, Semin and Green.

When your team hasn't scored for almost an entire game, I think it's safe to say going solo is a bad game plan. Sure players will pull off a miraculous solo gamechanging play, but he was trying to carry the load every single shift, it was way too predictable. He got owned by Hall Gill! I really like Ovy but this was disappointing.

I for one, feel that this poise will eventually come. He is young, and if he had one of his usual dominant games last night everyone would be talking about how he can take over a game single handedly like he did agaisnt the Pen's last year, rather than how selfish of a player he is.

Yep this is true.

I don't think he was selfish, he just wanted it so bad he forgot how he should be playing, like you said he will learn.

Ovechkin played the same way in this series as he always does.

Those shots that he couldn't score on are the same shots he always scores on in the regular season.

Statistically, it's the other players who choked and didn't help him out. They're supposed to be one of the most offensively gifted teams in the league, yet they looked like a one man team in this series. The other guys choked more than he did.

In the end, he was their best player.

Guest ToMaToToWnWinGsFaN_24

wow

good job by the canadians.

lets hope they do the same against the pens

I wasn't 100% in my notion that his silence was a reaction to getting beat by the Habs, rather than just getting beat. But I leaned that way naturally because I don't know if I've ever seen anyone act like this after a first round exit, or if I've seen him act like this. The silence made him seem not just upset, but stunned. Stunned by who beat them. Normally in post game interviews after games this important, you see players a little more quick to give their opponent credit (although he did credit Halak), and at least a little more talkative (Doan after getting beat in 7 for example, and he didn't even get to play).

All in all, I don't want to think of Ovie as one of the arrogant super stars (Roy), and this interview doesn't come close to proving that he is, it just sparked my curiosity, and perhaps I read a little too much into it. Thanks for your thoughts on the matter.

As far as coaching goes, I agree Bruce doesn't belong in the dressing room of any team. Almost anybody can get a team with the Caps skill into the playoffs, but just look at what structure did to the 'Yotes who are maybe half as offensively gifted as the Caps. Add structure to Washington and you got a team I never want to face in the finals. I could see the look on Bruce's face while still on the bench after the game 7 loss. I've never seen a coach show that much emotion with just one exspession.