• Please log in to reply
66 replies to this topic

#41 EZBAKETHAGANGSTA

EZBAKETHAGANGSTA

Hall-of-Famer

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,731 posts

Posted 29 April 2010 - 09:57 AM

Whilst I agree he has a massive desire to win, I think it clouds his judgement sometimes. Game 7 is a perfect example, you could see whenever he touched the puck how badly he wanted it, but he would always try and do to much. He seemed like he was trying to go solo alot of the time and that's just not gonna cut it in the playoffs.

When you're by far the best player on the team you can do that, it's not like anyone else really was an option. Seeing as I would be utterly shocked if the Caps do not win at least 1 cup during his tenure there, I think it is a bit early to call him a playoff no show.
Victory Honda Forever.

Like my posts? Contact Hossa4life for information regarding my fan club

#42 toby91_ca

toby91_ca

Legend

• Gold Booster
  • 8,440 posts

Posted 29 April 2010 - 10:01 AM

Backstrom didn't act like Ovie in his postgame. Ovie hasn't been the same since the Olympics, I don't think he handles losing that great.

I didn't watch the post games of either, but generally speaking, most people don't handle losing well, so I don't hold it against him too much. I wasn't a big fan at how he handled the media at the Olympics though (i.e. refusing to speak....even before losing). I understand the rationale, but I think he has a bit of an obligation there.

With respect to losing the series, especially game 7, you can try and point a finger at Green or Ovechkin or whoever, but I buy into more of the thought that there is a coaching problem. Ovechkin did try to do too much last night and does so on occassion, he tried to do everything himself, which he does tend to do. His shifts are too long, leaving him unable to back check at the end of shifts (part of the problem on the Moore goal). I don't fault him too much on that though, he's an extremely competitive guy and he's trying to do everything he can to win....I think the coach needs to reign him in better.

When you're by far the best player on the team you can do that, it's not like anyone else really was an option. Seeing as I would be utterly shocked if the Caps do not win at least 1 cup during his tenure there, I think it is a bit early to call him a playoff no show.

Trying to do everything yourself simply does not work in the NHL. It might in the NBA, but not the NHL. I also think you are not giving enough credit to some of his teammates. Backstrom is one hell of a hockey player, he didn't score 100+ points because he was riding Ovechkin's coattails. If you watch him play, you can clearly see how good he is. He definately benefits by playing with Ovechkin, but Ovechkin also benefits by playing with Backstrom....a lot.

#43 crotty99

crotty99

1st Line All-Star

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,985 posts

Posted 29 April 2010 - 10:07 AM

No he does have options. Sure they weren't all clicking but trying to do it all on your own is silly, makes the other teams job much easier. A little bit of poise and a little less panic.

Edited by crotty99, 29 April 2010 - 10:07 AM.

Posted Image

Thanks TeeMan!

#44 EZBAKETHAGANGSTA

EZBAKETHAGANGSTA

Hall-of-Famer

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,731 posts

Posted 29 April 2010 - 10:08 AM

Trying to do everything yourself simply does not work in the NHL
. It might in the NBA, but not the NHL. I also think you are not giving enough credit to some of his teammates. Backstrom is one hell of a hockey player, he didn't score 100+ points because he was riding Ovechkin's coattails. If you watch him play, you can clearly see how good he is. He definately benefits by playing with Ovechkin, but Ovechkin also benefits by playing with Backstrom....a lot.

For one game it sure can. And I never thought Backstrom was playing bad, I know how good he is. I was more referring to Washington's 2nd line, Semin and Green.
Victory Honda Forever.

#45 FedorovGurl

FedorovGurl

2nd Line Scorer

• HoF Booster
  • 548 posts

Posted 29 April 2010 - 10:09 AM

Who's to say how someone should act? He is who he is. I think the disappointment is appropriate and he can feel how he feels. People are used to his jovial, carefree, funny interviews and love all of his hilarious quips so maybe this comes off as bitter or whatever as compared to his usual banter.
I love Alex ... sigh .... and was hoping for a Caps/Wings cup final this year.
Welcome Back Kotter Hudler!! ".... who'd of thought they'd lead ya back here where we need ya? "

#46 EZBAKETHAGANGSTA

EZBAKETHAGANGSTA

Hall-of-Famer

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,731 posts

Posted 29 April 2010 - 10:10 AM

No he does have options. Sure they weren't all clicking but trying to do it all on your own is silly, makes the other teams job much easier. A little bit of poise and a little less panic.

I for one, feel that this poise will eventually come. He is young, and if he had one of his usual dominant games last night everyone would be talking about how he can take over a game single handedly like he did agaisnt the Pen's last year, rather than how selfish of a player he is.
Victory Honda Forever.

#47 crotty99

crotty99

1st Line All-Star

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,985 posts

Posted 29 April 2010 - 10:13 AM

For one game it sure can. And I never thought Backstrom was playing bad, I know how good he is. I was more referring to Washington's 2nd line, Semin and Green.

When your team hasn't scored for almost an entire game, I think it's safe to say going solo is a bad game plan. Sure players will pull off a miraculous solo gamechanging play, but he was trying to carry the load every single shift, it was way too predictable. He got owned by Hall Gill! I really like Ovy but this was disappointing.

I for one, feel that this poise will eventually come. He is young, and if he had one of his usual dominant games last night everyone would be talking about how he can take over a game single handedly like he did agaisnt the Pen's last year, rather than how selfish of a player he is.

Yep this is true.

I don't think he was selfish, he just wanted it so bad he forgot how he should be playing, like you said he will learn.

Posted Image

Thanks TeeMan!

#48 GMRwings1983

GMRwings1983

The Killer is Me

• Silver Booster
  • 20,643 posts

Posted 29 April 2010 - 10:14 AM

Ovechkin played the same way in this series as he always does.

Those shots that he couldn't score on are the same shots he always scores on in the regular season.

Statistically, it's the other players who choked and didn't help him out. They're supposed to be one of the most offensively gifted teams in the league, yet they looked like a one man team in this series. The other guys choked more than he did.

In the end, he was their best player.
According to my profile, my reputation is excellent. LOL.

#49 ToMaToToWnWinGsFaN_24

ToMaToToWnWinGsFaN_24

1st Line All-Star

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,033 posts

Posted 29 April 2010 - 10:29 AM

wow
good job by the canadians.
lets hope they do the same against the pens

#50 Pavrik Zettersyuk

Pavrik Zettersyuk

4th Line Grinder

• PipPip
  • 205 posts

Posted 29 April 2010 - 10:33 AM

I wasn't 100% in my notion that his silence was a reaction to getting beat by the Habs, rather than just getting beat. But I leaned that way naturally because I don't know if I've ever seen anyone act like this after a first round exit, or if I've seen him act like this. The silence made him seem not just upset, but stunned. Stunned by who beat them. Normally in post game interviews after games this important, you see players a little more quick to give their opponent credit (although he did credit Halak), and at least a little more talkative (Doan after getting beat in 7 for example, and he didn't even get to play).

All in all, I don't want to think of Ovie as one of the arrogant super stars (Roy), and this interview doesn't come close to proving that he is, it just sparked my curiosity, and perhaps I read a little too much into it. Thanks for your thoughts on the matter.

As far as coaching goes, I agree Bruce doesn't belong in the dressing room of any team. Almost anybody can get a team with the Caps skill into the playoffs, but just look at what structure did to the 'Yotes who are maybe half as offensively gifted as the Caps. Add structure to Washington and you got a team I never want to face in the finals. I could see the look on Bruce's face while still on the bench after the game 7 loss. I've never seen a coach show that much emotion with just one exspession.

#51 esteef

esteef

Legend

• HoF Booster
  • 8,874 posts

Posted 29 April 2010 - 10:33 AM

Ovi's just pissed that Cindy now has an easier road to the Conf Finals.

esteef
"The Wings haven't won a Cup without Darren McCarty since 1955."

#52 Electrophile

Electrophile

Ipsa scientia potestas est.

• Silver Booster
  • 9,390 posts

Posted 29 April 2010 - 10:38 AM

Nothing would make me happier than seeing the Canadiens advance.

electrophilewingsfloyd.jpg

"People assume that time is a strict progression of cause to effect, but *actually* from a non-linear, non-subjective viewpoint - it's more like a big ball of wibbly wobbly... time-y wimey... stuff."  -- The Doctor

#53 T.Low

T.Low

Hall-of-Famer

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,895 posts

Posted 29 April 2010 - 10:51 AM

HALAK!

3 frikin pages and no mention yet of Halak! Dude was a maniac, played out of his mind. He shut them down!

Since you guys bought it up, the difference between Crosby and Ovie really comes to light during playoff time and tournament time:

Ovetchkin's mindset is "be awesome, be The Man"; Crosby's mindset is "do the things that will make us win".

For the respective ages, Crosby is smarter and more mature, but Ovie will grow in that regard.

#54 esteef

esteef

Legend

• HoF Booster
  • 8,874 posts

Posted 29 April 2010 - 10:58 AM

Since you guys bought it up, the difference between Crosby and Ovie really comes to light during playoff time and tournament time:

Ovetchkin's mindset is "be awesome, be The Man"; Crosby's mindset is "do the things that will make us win".

For the respective ages, Crosby is smarter and more mature, but Ovie will grow in that regard.

Don't forget Cindy's got a better coach, goaltender, and defense. Those things might help too.

esteef
"The Wings haven't won a Cup without Darren McCarty since 1955."

#55 Travis

Travis

Hall-of-Famer

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,460 posts

Posted 29 April 2010 - 11:02 AM

When sports are your job, you need to show some professionalism. I'm sick of the, "I'm just a winner" arguments or "I hate losing" that some of these youngsters use an excuse. I felt the same way after LeBron ran off the court when the Cavs lost last year.

Of course you're upset, of course you're down - but you have to at least try to battle through it. I'm not saying I expect the guy to go on a long, eloquent monologue about what just happened; but you've got to offer something. You owe it to the media and fans that make your paychecks what they are.

cc_champs-5_zps34057ff0.png

#56 T.Low

T.Low

Hall-of-Famer

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,895 posts

Posted 29 April 2010 - 11:10 AM

When sports are your job, you need to show some professionalism. I'm sick of the, "I'm just a winner" arguments or "I hate losing" that some of these youngsters use an excuse. I felt the same way after LeBron ran off the court when the Cavs lost last year.

Of course you're upset, of course you're down - but you have to at least try to battle through it. I'm not saying I expect the guy to go on a long, eloquent monologue about what just happened; but you've got to offer something. You owe it to the media and fans that make your paychecks what they are.

You sound like you've been watching someone like Steve Yzerman or Nick Lidstrom captain a team or something.

Yeah, the great leaders are few and far between; Devallano and Illitch know how to pick em.

That being said, I didn't see anything wrong with his interview at all. HE could have said the usual bulls***, but he honestly didn't have any words at that time for what just happenned. My impression is that he'd rather be ripping the lockers off the walls and throwing s*** around than sitting there talking to reporters.

Edited by T.Low, 29 April 2010 - 11:22 AM.

#57 pirateasaurus

pirateasaurus

Top Prospect

• Pip
  • 84 posts

Posted 29 April 2010 - 11:11 AM

I will never be persuaded that anybody being critical of this interview has ever played and lost a meaningful game in their life. Those few minutes had to have been a nightmare with all thosef****** mics in his face.

#58 cusimano_brothers

cusimano_brothers

Legend

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,605 posts

Posted 29 April 2010 - 11:49 AM

Man players are different...

In this case,replacing the word "man" with the word "Captain" is also true.

"Mess up tomorrow, don't mess up now".

- Harry James Benson, CBE.

#59 xtrememachine1

xtrememachine1

1st Line All-Star

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,427 posts

Posted 29 April 2010 - 12:07 PM

Ovie does have a set up man it's Backstrom that's why they grabbed that kid.

Here's why the Caps lost.

Alexandre Semin ---> Was non existent.
Capitals Defense ---> Terrible
Goaltender ----> :thumbdown:

Also I really feel like Caps actually got out coached by a better coach. Montreal was prepared game in and game out. In game 2 Montreal grabbed couple of bad bounces if not this series wouldn't even had went to 7 games.

Washington wasn't prepared and unluckily they stumbled across a hot goalie.

Coaching was a big part of this loss. Boudreau didn't change the powerplay at all and they were like 1-30 in the series? They had their 50 goal scorer at the point and all the passes on the PP set up a Semin shot. How about you let your MVP take all those shots instead. Not the playoff choke. He yanks Theodore after one bad game, the same Theodore that finished the regular season 21-1-2. Finally, why didn't he change the lines?? If you're struggling to score, juggle the lines. At the beginning of the year, Ovie, Backstrom and Semin all played on the same line and were dominant. That line combo wasn't even attempted in this series.

#60 xtrememachine1

xtrememachine1

1st Line All-Star

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,427 posts

Posted 29 April 2010 - 12:12 PM

Don't forget Cindy's got a better coach, goaltender, and defense. Those things might help too.

esteef

Yes. As much as people love to say "Crosby is better than Ovechkin" because of this loss, it IS a team sport. Like you said, Crosby has a number one overall pick goalie, two other forwards on the team were top 2 overall picks, and his defenseman actually play defense. Yet somehow, Crosby is better than Ovie because he lost his first round matchup and Cindy won his?