• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

Sign in to follow this  
Hockeytown0001

WCSF Game 1 GDT: Red Wings 3 at Sharks 4

Rate this topic

Okay, so I've recently decided (like 7 seconds ago) to write out my thoughts after each Red Wings game. No point in just holding onto them in my head. Plus, it'll give me a chance to work on my writing. (End Explanation)

Red Wings 3 @ Sharks 4 (SJS Lead Series 1-0)

San Jose, Calif. -- Odd game. Before it even started most of us could see this coming. On only 30 minutes rest, the Red Wings were slated by the NHL to start their second-round series against the #1 seed in the Western Conference. (Conspiracy Theorists, I release you!). On the one hand, we did take seven games in our opening round, so we don't necessarily deserve any wiggle room. On the other hand, well, that hand is tired, so that's all I got.

The cat nap the Wings received before the game did them no good and it showed quickly, as San Jose jumped out to an early 3-0 lead. The Wings stopped the bleeding with a quick strike of their own, Cleary's first goal in 4 years. From that point on, I thought the ice was tilted in Detroit's favor. Sure the Sharks got chances, and they will continue to, but the Wings did a good job of limiting them and keeping them to the outside. Clearly something clicked in Franzen (finally...) after Cleary scored for the first time in his career, as he added the Wings second goal, cutting the deficit 2-3. Coincidentally, it was #11 setting the perfect screen on the goal.

The comeback was on. The Wings were turning it on. And then the refs turned me off. Franzen got highsticked, drew blood, and was sent to the penalty box to serve a two-minute penalty for tripping. Now we all know this rule was changed with the introduction of the New NHL, so I really don't understand why that call was made. But I digress. Of course, on the ensuing powerplay Filppula decided to continue his quest to negate all the positive things he did in the opening round (...and there were a lot...) by taking a highsticking penalty, giving the Sharks a 5on3 advantage. They scored on it. Now I don't doubt Osgood has taught Howard a great deal about being a NHL goaltender, but did he have to include his (upward) stance on five-holes? I guess the answer to that rhetorical questions is...

Ultimately that goal really was a game changer. The Wings would add a tic-tac-toe goal later on, when Rafalski finished off a beautiful play by Franzen and Datsyuk, but that would be as close as they would come. 3-4.

Now the were some other particulars of the loss that bothered me besides the refereeing, if you can call it that. Our defense has got to, got to, hit the net with their shots from the point more than never. Our forwards did a great job cycling the puck down low, working it low to high, setting up great opportunities for shots, and then Kronwall would take out his 9-iron and just shoot it into the rafters. Or Lidstrom would try to bank it off the McDonald's sign and into the goal. Um, hey Lidstrom, you still have a cannon, just fire it at the goalie, you might be surprised.

It was only the first game. And per usual, it was only one game. It's funny how this is only brought up after a loss. While it is the truth, each series is a race to four, and we are currently stuck at the starting line. But maybe that's why that "it's only a game" fact is so comforting, because come Sunday the Wings will have an opportunity to get right back into the race, and perhaps take over the inside track as the series shifts back to Hockeytown for games three and four.

Guest mindfly

After having some time to sleep on it, I agree with many of the Wings fans here.

Detroit played a good game. Wasn't an excellent game like they did in Game 7, but it was a good one. Even playing a good game they lost 4-3. 3 of those goals were scored during a 1:20 second brain fart by the team. Sharks got some bounces and capitalized. I thought that both teams looked pretty even overall.

Are there places that Detroit could do better? Absolutely. The power play had 4 shots on 5 attempts. I thought that was pretty bad. The Sharks special teams were good, scoring on 2 power plays, but a 4 on 3 and 5 on 3 are very hard to kill.

I know a lot of Wings fans are blaming the refs. I used to give the refs a hard time too, until I started reffing. If there is anything that I have learned, its that the refs call it like they see it and the game is going a million miles per hour out there. So much to pay attention to. That Franzen penalty and high stick on him was so fast, I had to slow it down to see it. I didn't know how he got hurt at first. Still, I probably would have evened the calls up, but I am not out there. The Setoguchi dive was pretty bad, but why the hell did the Wings player have his stick up in his throat area to begin with? That could have been a high stick, slash, or hook for that matter.

This is why you play a 7 game series. One bad game does not cost you a series. One game where the refs miss calls for your team does not cost you the game. Remember the Lidstrom high stick in game 1 of the Phoenix series? I thought LGW was going to implode when that happened and there was no call. In the end, the Wings came out ok in that series. They would have eliminated Phoenix in 6 if they didn't play lazy in a few games. When you are your own worst enemy, you have no one to blame but yourself.

If the Wings just worry about their play in the series, they will take this one in 6 games. If they complain about the reffing and why they aren't getting what they are entitled to, they will lose out. The Wings are consummate professionals and will play a better game on Sunday.

Oh, and Howard hasn't lost back to back games in about two months. I like our chances on Sunday.

Although I think it's pivotal to tie it up on Sunday...Wings won't be able to win the series if they go down 2-0 IMO.

There was a thread with some post game thoughts in it, but it's gone now.. So I guess I'll post it here.

The Wings looked really good off the puck-drop and battled for a few minutes - then the wheels came off. It was pretty obvious how sluggish they were, but they got really rattled really quick and it looked like the game was going to get really out-of-hand come goal number 3. Obviously, we all know they were able to battle back.

Without sounding like an ass, I rarely complain about the refs - because I generally hate hearing people complain about the refs - but that was horrible. The worst thing the refs can do, in my opinion, is take over the game.. which they did. Obviously we took some stupid calls, but the Franzen tripping call was the worst one I've seen all year. I hope they iron these things out before we take the ice on Sunday.

All in all, we can't expect to spot this Sharks team 3 goals and still win. We played well from then on out, but never got settled. Even the announcers mentioned how it was an odd game. For two puck possession teams, there wasn't an enormous amount of possessing going on.

That's fine, though. 1 game out of the way, now we've got to try to get the split on Sunday.

Although I think it's pivotal to tie it up on Sunday...Wings won't be able to win the series if they go down 2-0 IMO.

The same way that they didn't back in 2002 when they lost the first two games against Vancouver at home and then won 4 in a row after that?

I don't think its pivotal that the Wings win on Sunday. Its not make or break. Now, if they lose Sunday, then the next two games at home become must wins.

Thankfully I have an IQ above 14, so I don't feel the need to resort to violence when something doesn't go my way. :)

Honestly I was surprised at how few wings fans were in the arena in general. Usually they come in droves, but today I only noticed one area on the other side of the tank from me that had a concentration of red. I expect more of you guys at game 2 on Sunday.

Even strength goals

Wings 3 - Sharks 2

Special Teams Goals

Sharks 2 - Wings 0

Special teams will win and lose games that would have gone the other way otherwise. They were big tonight.

It is always good to read some intelligent well thought out comments from fans on the other side. Thanks for sharing, and please keep commenting. :)

After having some time to sleep on it, I agree with many of the Wings fans here.

Detroit played a good game. Wasn't an excellent game like they did in Game 7, but it was a good one. Even playing a good game they lost 4-3. 3 of those goals were scored during a 1:20 second brain fart by the team. Sharks got some bounces and capitalized. I thought that both teams looked pretty even overall.

Are there places that Detroit could do better? Absolutely. The power play had 4 shots on 5 attempts. I thought that was pretty bad. The Sharks special teams were good, scoring on 2 power plays, but a 4 on 3 and 5 on 3 are very hard to kill.

I know a lot of Wings fans are blaming the refs. I used to give the refs a hard time too, until I started reffing. If there is anything that I have learned, its that the refs call it like they see it and the game is going a million miles per hour out there. So much to pay attention to. That Franzen penalty and high stick on him was so fast, I had to slow it down to see it. I didn't know how he got hurt at first. Still, I probably would have evened the calls up, but I am not out there. The Setoguchi dive was pretty bad, but why the hell did the Wings player have his stick up in his throat area to begin with? That could have been a high stick, slash, or hook for that matter.

This is why you play a 7 game series. One bad game does not cost you a series. One game where the refs miss calls for your team does not cost you the game. Remember the Lidstrom high stick in game 1 of the Phoenix series? I thought LGW was going to implode when that happened and there was no call. In the end, the Wings came out ok in that series. They would have eliminated Phoenix in 6 if they didn't play lazy in a few games. When you are your own worst enemy, you have no one to blame but yourself.

If the Wings just worry about their play in the series, they will take this one in 6 games. If they complain about the reffing and why they aren't getting what they are entitled to, they will lose out. The Wings are consummate professionals and will play a better game on Sunday.

Oh, and Howard hasn't lost back to back games in about two months. I like our chances on Sunday.

That's what i thought about earlier today when i thought about the wings game. I'm not worried at all. It seems the games that PHX won last series was due in part to a failure on special teams. Again tonight taht helped the wings lose. Not to mention the giving up 3 goals right away. Wings play well and i think they'll win and can go to the cup (hopefullY)

For those still complaining about the officiating, as I said yesterday, a team has to overcome adversity.

Against Phoenix, we got jobbed at the end of the 2nd period, but overcome adversity to kill that 5 on 3, and that won the game for us.

Last night, we were in the same boat but couldn't do anything with our PK. If we killed off that 5 on 3, we may have won the game.

Two similar situations, but the Wings responded differently to them.

Also, Howard has to be better. The GWG was an Ozzie 5-hole special. Howard hasn't looked consistently confident in these playoffs so far. He's not stringing good games together and that's a problem.

Also, Howard has to be better. The GWG was an Ozzie 5-hole special. Howard hasn't looked consistently confident in these playoffs so far. He's not stringing good games together and that's a problem.

This is pretty much exactly what a lot of Sharks fans were saying about Nabby last year and leading into the playoffs this year. So far (except game 2 in the first series) he has been better than expected and raised his game. I still think both goalies need to step it up or their teams are gone. If neither changes, then I have no idea what happens. :)

Thankfully I have an IQ above 14, so I don't feel the need to resort to violence when something doesn't go my way. :)

Honestly I was surprised at how few wings fans were in the arena in general. Usually they come in droves, but today I only noticed one area on the other side of the tank from me that had a concentration of red. I expect more of you guys at game 2 on Sunday.

Even strength goals

Wings 3 - Sharks 2

Special Teams Goals

Sharks 2 - Wings 0

Special teams will win and lose games that would have gone the other way otherwise. They were big tonight.

If I could I'd be there Sunday. But I'm stuck in New Brunswick. :P

For those still complaining about the officiating, as I said yesterday, a team has to overcome adversity.

Against Phoenix, we got jobbed at the end of the 2nd period, but overcome adversity to kill that 5 on 3, and that won the game for us.

Last night, we were in the same boat but couldn't do anything with our PK. If we killed off that 5 on 3, we may have won the game.

Two similar situations, but the Wings responded differently to them.

Its hard for me to fault Howard. As a goalie, especially short handed, you have to be ready for anything. If you cover high, they go low. You cover low, they go high. Especially in the pros where everyone is a good player and your margin of error is small. I think any goal that Howard gives up, he is going to want to have back.

There are a lot of armchair fans that complain about consistency. Think about this. Howard hasn't lost 2 games in a row since early February. Thats almost 2 months of hockey. I think that is a model of consistency right there.

I do agree with you in general though. Any team that moves on has to overcome adversity.

The Sharks needed to take advantage of the tired Wings and they did. Every little edge in a series matters, and thanks to the Avs and the Eagles concert, they got this one.

Even tired, though, the Wings are one of the most opportunistic teams, and always a threat.

This win doesn't mean much because the series will be close every game through to the end. If it keeps going like this, this could well be the best series of the whole playoffs.

Guest mindfly

Don't forget that Sharks played a pretty poor game defensively as well, don't think that this was the best showing from them... Wings Must step up..like alot.

Okay, so I've recently decided (like 7 seconds ago) to write out my thoughts after each Red Wings game. No point in just holding onto them in my head. Plus, it'll give me a chance to work on my writing. (End Explanation)

Red Wings 3 @ Sharks 4 (SJS Lead Series 1-0)

San Jose, Calif. -- Odd game. Before it even started most of us could see this coming. On only 30 minutes rest, the Red Wings were slated by the NHL to start their second-round series against the #1 seed in the Western Conference. (Conspiracy Theorists, I release you!). On the one hand, we did take seven games in our opening round, so we don't necessarily deserve any wiggle room. On the other hand, well, that hand is tired, so that's all I got.

The cat nap the Wings received before the game did them no good and it showed quickly, as San Jose jumped out to an early 3-0 lead. The Wings stopped the bleeding with a quick strike of their own, Cleary's first goal in 4 years. From that point on, I thought the ice was tilted in Detroit's favor. Sure the Sharks got chances, and they will continue to, but the Wings did a good job of limiting them and keeping them to the outside. Clearly something clicked in Franzen (finally...) after Cleary scored for the first time in his career, as he added the Wings second goal, cutting the deficit 2-3. Coincidentally, it was #11 setting the perfect screen on the goal.

The comeback was on. The Wings were turning it on. And then the refs turned me off. Franzen got highsticked, drew blood, and was sent to the penalty box to serve a two-minute penalty for tripping. Now we all know this rule was changed with the introduction of the New NHL, so I really don't understand why that call was made. But I digress. Of course, on the ensuing powerplay Filppula decided to continue his quest to negate all the positive things he did in the opening round (...and there were a lot...) by taking a highsticking penalty, giving the Sharks a 5on3 advantage. They scored on it. Now I don't doubt Osgood has taught Howard a great deal about being a NHL goaltender, but did he have to include his (upward) stance on five-holes? I guess the answer to that rhetorical questions is...

Ultimately that goal really was a game changer. The Wings would add a tic-tac-toe goal later on, when Rafalski finished off a beautiful play by Franzen and Datsyuk, but that would be as close as they would come. 3-4.

Now the were some other particulars of the loss that bothered me besides the refereeing, if you can call it that. Our defense has got to, got to, hit the net with their shots from the point more than never. Our forwards did a great job cycling the puck down low, working it low to high, setting up great opportunities for shots, and then Kronwall would take out his 9-iron and just shoot it into the rafters. Or Lidstrom would try to bank it off the McDonald's sign and into the goal. Um, hey Lidstrom, you still have a cannon, just fire it at the goalie, you might be surprised.

It was only the first game. And per usual, it was only one game. It's funny how this is only brought up after a loss. While it is the truth, each series is a race to four, and we are currently stuck at the starting line. But maybe that's why that "it's only a game" fact is so comforting, because come Sunday the Wings will have an opportunity to get right back into the race, and perhaps take over the inside track as the series shifts back to Hockeytown for games three and four.

I have a feeling Lidstrom's elbow is still bothering him some nights. I think its hit or miss at this point. If you watch him night in and night out, you notice that sometimes he is able to let it go with no problem, and other nights he's much more tentative about shooting. I'm becoming more and more convinced that he is just gonna retire at the end of the season.

That comment about Flip erasing all the good he did in the first round is dumb. He played a solid game last night aside from that high stick. Not sure why you are piling on Cleary... sure he isn't scoring like expected, but he scored a clutch goal last night (Wings needed that goal BADLY) and has been putting forth the effort.

Other than that... decent read.

Edited by Broken 16

Don't forget that Sharks played a pretty poor game defensively as well, don't think that this was the best showing from them... Wings Must step up..like alot.

I didn't think the Sharks played a good game. They need some work to do. Sharks usually don't play good with lots of rest, thats why I was worried about this game.

We only played ok on the powerplay and that 2minute span where the Sharks scored three goals.

Should be a good game on Sunday though!

I have to say I’m really surprised that fans from “Hockeytown” are doing nothing but whining about the officiating like newbies. This is the playoffs, hockey is a physical game and there are dozens of penalties on both teams that go uncalled otherwise it would be an endless parade to the box and god, would the games be high scoring (to the point of being ridiculous) As for the cries of “diving” while Setoguchi MAY have embellished that high stick call, the stick was definitely “up” around his face area where it isn’t supposed to be, so the call was LEGIT. As for the call where the Red Wing player came up bloody? Again, the call was legit and you can’t possibly expect Setoguchi to control his stick while falling down, can you? Suck it up, the officiating wasn’t the reason you lost. Sunday is another game, both teams will be well rested and it should be amazing. See you Sunday. GO SHARKS!!!!

As for the call where the Red Wing player came up bloody? Again, the call was legit and you can’t possibly expect Setoguchi to control his stick while falling down, can you? Suck it up, the officiating wasn’t the reason you lost. Sunday is another game, both teams will be well rested and it should be amazing. See you Sunday. GO SHARKS!!!!

I wont complain that the Wings were screwed by the refs, however I will say the refs were too involved for both teams.

Regarding your quote, you just described Sentiguchi committing a penalty. You are responsible for your stick even if you are falling.

I have to say I’m really surprised that fans from “Hockeytown” are doing nothing but whining about the officiating like newbies. This is the playoffs, hockey is a physical game and there are dozens of penalties on both teams that go uncalled otherwise it would be an endless parade to the box and god, would the games be high scoring (to the point of being ridiculous) As for the cries of “diving” while Setoguchi MAY have embellished that high stick call, the stick was definitely “up” around his face area where it isn’t supposed to be, so the call was LEGIT. As for the call where the Red Wing player came up bloody? Again, the call was legit and you can’t possibly expect Setoguchi to control his stick while falling down, can you? Suck it up, the officiating wasn’t the reason you lost. Sunday is another game, both teams will be well rested and it should be amazing. See you Sunday. GO SHARKS!!!!

Setoguchi embellished that call for sure, but it was a penalty. I guarantee there would be some whining on our end too if it was Thornton who tripped a guy but took a stick to the face in a bang/bang incident like that one. Sharks played a gritty, terrific first ten minutes and then a shaky end 50 minutes. They have to play a more complete game on Sunday if they want to go up 2-0. Go Sharks.

I wont complain that the Wings were screwed by the refs, however I will say the refs were too involved for both teams.

Regarding your quote, you just described Sentiguchi committing a penalty. You are responsible for your stick even if you are falling.

This is correct. Some Sharks fans are defending the terrible no call but just wait until something like that happens against their team. They'll be complaining about it just as much, if not more.

I do enjoy some of the Sharks fans on this board. Some of them are very respectful and intelligent and reasonable and I hope they stick around for these GDT threads.

The trolling ones can just get the f*** out. Haha

This is correct. Some Sharks fans are defending the terrible no call but just wait until something like that happens against their team. They'll be complaining about it just as much, if not more.

I do enjoy some of the Sharks fans on this board. Some of them are very respectful and intelligent and reasonable and I hope they stick around for these GDT threads.

The trolling ones can just get the f*** out. Haha

It's easy to be reasonable when your team is winning. :D

Some Sharks fans are defending the terrible no call...

I was one of those who defended it, but after taking a much closer look, I've since changed my mind.

The ref obviously saw only the trip, which I still think was a legit call, but the stick to Franzen's face happened simultaneously (like the movie Stepbrothers, where they knocked each other out at the same time), which means that the high stick from Seto was not caused by the trip, nor was it a matter of not having control of the stick during a fall, or because of the trip.

It was a missed call, plain and simple. Which means the game could have easily gone the other way.