• Please log in to reply
1001 replies to this topic

#941 VM1138

VM1138

Legend

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,518 posts

Posted 29 April 2010 - 11:44 PM

Bizarre 3-0 deficit hurt the team. Without it the Wings could have easily won this game.

Despite the loss and some really good Sharks chances, I don't feel particularly threatened by them.

Wings in 6.
Check out my short e-book on the Red Wings' 1937 Stanley Cup championship entitled: "Nothing Could Keep 'Em Down." Please download it from my profile at Smashwords: https://www.smashwor...ile/view/victor

New e-book: The Spanish-American War: A Brief History. Relatively short, introductory read for casual history buffs and people who want to learn more about a forgotten war that changed America. Available at BN.com, Smashwords, Kobo, and Diesel E-Books right now. Same link as above.

#942 Buck Gravy

Buck Gravy

Draftee

• 4 posts

Posted 29 April 2010 - 11:44 PM

I'm just pissed that he's soiling the good name of Stepbrothers in the process.

He's just upset because his Chewbacca mask isn't movie quality.

#943 mjtm77

mjtm77

mjtm77

• PipPipPipPip
  • 962 posts

Posted 29 April 2010 - 11:47 PM

how does franson get a stick in the face bleading and no call??? still confused
Posted Image

#944 ami

ami

1st Line Sniper

• PipPipPipPip
  • 760 posts

Posted 29 April 2010 - 11:49 PM

Howie sucks <...>

it does not matter what you say right now. what matters is that you don have ball to admit you were wrong when wings win it.

WINGS IN 6!!

#945 Vladifan

Vladifan

Legend

• HoF Booster Mod
  • 5,759 posts

Posted 29 April 2010 - 11:50 PM

I agree. Mostly, anyway. The Wings were pretty good most of the game. They were pretty bad in the 3rd. There's no excuse to be outplayed like that. Well there are excuses, I just choose not to believe them. When the Red Wings actually show up, they win. They took most of the 3rd off tonight, and that's the biggest part of the loss I think.

I think fatigue probably set in the third. I'm going with that anyways. :ph34r:

"He even ate with women who at that time were accorded the same status as the family donkey. Are we willing to break bread with, say, child sex slaves, transgender teens and undocumented workers? Because when Jesus comes back to Earth, that's where he'll be hanging."
You can easily judge the character of a man by how he treats those who can do nothing for him.

#946 Third Man In

Third Man In

Ready to rage.

• HoF Booster
  • 4,820 posts

Posted 29 April 2010 - 11:52 PM

I agree. Mostly, anyway. The Wings were pretty good most of the game. They were pretty bad in the 3rd. There's no excuse to be outplayed like that. Well there are excuses, I just choose not to believe them. When the Red Wings actually show up, they win. They took most of the 3rd off tonight, and that's the biggest part of the loss I think.

The Wings didn't take the third off. I think the legs just weren't there. A game 1 on the road less than 48 hours after a game 7 often doesn't go well--Versus showed a stat that showed the road team something like 13-28 in that situation. The Wings were bound to lag a bit in the third, especially after a brutal call leading to a brutal goal. They'll be ready to play Sunday.

"When you're a Detroit Red Wing, you don't want to go anywhere." -Kris Draper
Duty Calls

#947 ToMaToToWnWinGsFaN_24

ToMaToToWnWinGsFaN_24

1st Line All-Star

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,033 posts

Posted 29 April 2010 - 11:54 PM

how does Franzen get a stick in the face bleeding and no call??? still confused

there. fixed it for you. but yes, terrible call!

Edited by ToMaToToWnWinGsFaN_24, 29 April 2010 - 11:54 PM.

#948 scottj

scottj

2nd Line Scorer

• PipPipPip
  • 644 posts

Posted 29 April 2010 - 11:54 PM

I'm just pissed that he's soiling the good name of Stepbrothers in the process.

seriously... he's gonna make me cringe every time i see will ferrel's face just like i cringe everytime i see draperfans avatar

#949 Vladifan

Vladifan

Legend

• HoF Booster Mod
  • 5,759 posts

Posted 29 April 2010 - 11:56 PM

I would definitely like to see a vid of that posted here. I've replayed it a dozen times already on the cable box, but haven't yet figured out how to post it here.

A player must have control over his stick at all times, but that's not as hard and fast and technical as it sounds, and there are obvious exceptions (as when taking a shot). That particular loss of control, if it could even be called that, was the inadvertent result of a penalty already made against Seto by Franzen.

Franzen tripped Seto's right skate with his stick. Clearly. Seto went down as a result, his stick low, blade up, but it was low, parallel to the ice, and not in motion. All of that was Franzen's doing. Franzen then lost his edge in the process and he too went down. Seto's stick did not come UP into Franzen's face; rather Franzen's face went DOWN onto Setoguchi's stick. Franzen could have just as easily fallen and gashed his face on Seto's skate, and there would have been no penalty called for that either. Nor should there have been.

A High Sticking penalty was obviously intended to keep players from swinging their sticks HIGH and wildly into other player's faces, and that is what they must have control over. The real loss of control in this instance was on Franzen's part, because that stick was not moving so much as Franzen's face, in a downward falling motion that Franzen had caused in the first place.

All that's possible, but as I recall it (without replaying it) Setoguchi's stick hit Franzen in the face, and I don't see how his stick could have been perfectly still.

Maybe tomorrow I'll have time to check it out again. Thanks for your reasoned response. :)

"He even ate with women who at that time were accorded the same status as the family donkey. Are we willing to break bread with, say, child sex slaves, transgender teens and undocumented workers? Because when Jesus comes back to Earth, that's where he'll be hanging."
You can easily judge the character of a man by how he treats those who can do nothing for him.

#950 Ant Low

Ant Low

Chances Make Champions

• PipPip
  • 248 posts

Posted 29 April 2010 - 11:57 PM

Why don't you wake up and watch those goals again, every goal he gave up a mite player could have stopped. I guess your a "big" man cause you can swear like a big man on the internet. You just don't want to know the truth that howard is NOT a playoff goalie and we are using him like one. If shane doan was in the last series we would have lost in 6 games.

It was one game.
As already stated, Howard> Ozzie right now..
I bet you're the first one to buy a Howard jersey when we take home the cup.:rolleyes:

#951 Yak19

Yak19

-Playmaker Elite-

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,836 posts

Posted 30 April 2010 - 12:07 AM

It was one game.
As already stated, Howard> Ozzie right now..
I bet you're the first one to buy a Howard jersey when we take home the cup.:rolleyes:

EFF YA MAN

GO WINGS!

#952 Ratbastrd

Ratbastrd

Rookie

• Pip
  • 129 posts

Posted 30 April 2010 - 12:08 AM

Wow, that was quite a game tonight. Wings looked a little tired, not really on their game. The Pavelski line is on fire, gonna have to account for them Sunday. This is likely to free up the Thornton line a little. Ball is in the Wings court, lets see how they return on Sunday.

Wings are wicked on offense, the Sharks are so slow on D. The Sharks are a bear on offense the Wings look old. Which ever team can sustain play in the others end is going to win.
This series is going to go the distance in my opinion.

#953 Grypho

Grypho

Sharks Fan

• HoF Booster
  • 487 posts

Posted 30 April 2010 - 12:13 AM

All that's possible, but as I recall it (without replaying it) Setoguchi's stick hit Franzen in the face, and I don't see how his stick could have been perfectly still.

Maybe tomorrow I'll have time to check it out again. Thanks for your reasoned response. :)

Just to be clear, it wasn't perfectly still, just not an upward motion into Franzen's face. Setoguchi was basically just holding onto his stick after falling.

On another note, I don't think very many fans on either side are walking away from this saying, "Wow, what a great, well played game." I'm obviously hoping we steal one from you on Sunday, but it would definitely be nice to see any outcome as the result of 60 minutes of real playoff intensity, highlight reel hockey from both sides. I didn't see that consistently from either team in this game.

#954 Third Man In

Third Man In

Ready to rage.

• HoF Booster
  • 4,820 posts

Posted 30 April 2010 - 12:23 AM

Wow, that was quite a game tonight. Wings looked a little tired, not really on their game. The Pavelski line is on fire, gonna have to account for them Sunday. This is likely to free up the Thornton line a little. Ball is in the Wings court, lets see how they return on Sunday.

Wings are wicked on offense, the Sharks are so slow on D. The Sharks are a bear on offense the Wings look old. Which ever team can sustain play in the others end is going to win.
This series is going to go the distance in my opinion.

Pavelski and Setoguchi were definitely the ones to watch coming into to series, and that's certainly the case after one game. They're an impressive duo right now. On our side, it's good to see Franzen and Cleary waking up (the Wings have found something playing Cleary with Miller and Abdelkader), and Datsyuk looked dangerous too. But overall, neither team looked very sharp tonight. The Zetterberg-Filppula-Bertuzzi line was uncharacteristically atrocious tonight, and the Wings didn't generate anything from their back end. I don't expect either to continue.

"When you're a Detroit Red Wing, you don't want to go anywhere." -Kris Draper
Duty Calls

#955 Drake_Marcus

Drake_Marcus

Pariah

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,336 posts

Posted 30 April 2010 - 12:37 AM

Jimmy had a very rough start and Z's line disappeared. That's a devastating combo. I believe it was VS that showed a stat last series that said Jimmy had a 1.75 GAA and .95 Sv% in his last 10 games following a loss (that was before game 4 I think).
Dedicated to lulz once lost:
Posted Image
Thanks TeeMan!

"We live on a placid island of ignorance in the midst of black seas
of infinity, and it was not meant that we should voyage" --H.P. Lovecraft

#956 Ratbastrd

Ratbastrd

Rookie

• Pip
  • 129 posts

Posted 30 April 2010 - 12:39 AM

Pavelski and Setoguchi were definitely the ones to watch coming into to series, and that's certainly the case after one game. They're an impressive duo right now. On our side, it's good to see Franzen and Cleary waking up (the Wings have found something playing Cleary with Miller and Abdelkader), and Datsyuk looked dangerous too. But overall, neither team looked very sharp tonight. The Zetterberg-Filppula-Bertuzzi line was uncharacteristically atrocious tonight, and the Wings didn't generate anything from their back end. I don't expect either to continue.

Yea I agree. The pawns got moved tonight. I expect the horses to be let loose on Sunday. Hope Marleau is okay, heard he had a very high fever. I would be really bummed if the team came down with something.

#957 TheSupafly

TheSupafly

Shark fan extrodinaire

• PipPip
  • 405 posts

Posted 30 April 2010 - 12:47 AM

Just got home from the game. This one was pretty tense for the last 20 minutes. The Sharks did not play a full 60 minutes at all. It was a big barrage at the beginning, followed by holding on mostly at the end. The Wings capitalized on a lot of their chances...it seemed each mistake or gaff that the Sharks made led to a quality chance or goal from the Wings. If they weren't so tired from having game 7 so recently, I think this one might have gone the other way. I was really impressed with how fast the Wings move the puck in the offensive zone. So many one touch passes...it's truly a beautiful thing to watch, no matter what team is doing it. Very happy my guys were able to pull this one out, but I know they'll have to bring a better game if they want to win game 2. The Wings will be fresher and come harder, and certainly wont spot the Sharks a 3 goal advantage early.

As for all the discussion about the officiating, I really can't say. Since I was there live, you only get one look at things unless they show a replay on the video board, and even that isn't nearly what you'd get watching the TV broadcast, so I'll have to watch the recording tomorrow to see for myself. I will say that the most frustrating thing for any team or fan is INCONSISTENCY. Well that and complete incompetence. :) Looking forward to Sunday.

#958 titanium2

titanium2

Asha... I want I want!!!

• Bronze Booster
  • 10,495 posts

Posted 30 April 2010 - 12:54 AM

Wow...

Babs actually said, "Don't dive and embellish" and "You're from Western Canada there's no need for that crap." Haha. I don't think I remember him every calling someone out for diving. At least not as a Wings coach.

#959 Jedi

Jedi

Spell Forged - Unparalleled Quality

• HoF Booster Mod
  • 9,807 posts

Posted 30 April 2010 - 01:03 AM

I guess your a "big" man cause you can swear like a big man on the internet.

Does that same logic apply to people telling other people to go running into busy intersections on the internet?

snyoep.jpg
"I am the sword in the darkness... I am the watcher on the walls...
I am the shield that guards the realms of men..."

#960 skyphoenix

skyphoenix

JIMMEH

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,734 posts

Posted 30 April 2010 - 01:03 AM

That 5-on-3 killed us. We should have been able to capitalize on a few of those powerplay chances though, but we just looked awful on the powerplay. Hopefully the refs decide not to fall for the diving next game because that killed an otherwise alright game.

Posted Image