• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

NEpats1028

Versus Announcers

Rate this topic

announcer topics always drive me craz each year, in every sport. Announcers do not come on the air to be biased towards a team....you have to give them a bit more respect than that. The do change their flow of words, as the game flows around them, and will talk about a team if they are playing well....just common sense. We always 'listen' with our homer ears, because it is our team. Think about the other games you watch that do not involve the Red Wings. Say you watch a Montreal/Washington game. Do you come away from that game thinking the announcers really favored one team over the other? I bet 95% of the time you never notice anything the announcers say that you think slights or favors a team, but if it's your team, boy those radar ears are up and you catch everything, and interpet it as your emotions are high watching the game. I'm hoping that makes sense :cool: I have broadcast hockey games for the last 10-years (on a lower level), so this topic always drives me nuts, but will always be there.

Think about the other games you watch that do not involve the Red Wings. Say you watch a Montreal/Washington game. Do you come away from that game thinking the announcers really favored one team over the other? I bet 95% of the time you never notice anything the announcers say that you think slights or favors a team, but if it's your team, boy those radar ears are up and you catch everything, and interpet it as your emotions are high watching the game.

I always notice it. There seem to be a bunch teams that the announcers have to love.

Chicago, LA, Pittsburgh, Toronto, Montreal, Boston, Anaheim, Edmonton, Washington.

In the MTL/Wash games, there was a lot of MTL bias though.

I thought the announcers were fine. In fact, it seemed like they were actually in awe of the Wings on a few occasions. On Rafalski's goal, one em said "That's what they do... that's what they do"... as if to imply that the Wings can score at will. I thought they were very respectful to both teams.