• Please log in to reply
123 replies to this topic

#21 Drake_Marcus

Drake_Marcus

Pariah

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,335 posts

Posted 30 April 2010 - 01:48 AM

I have an idea for Game 3 or 4. We'll need to find a group of people who are sitting together. Bring bristol board cards with numbers on them like 9.4, 10.0, 9.8, etc... Then when Devin or another Shark dives hold them up. ;) Should make for a funny broadcast.
Dedicated to lulz once lost:
Posted Image
Thanks TeeMan!

"We live on a placid island of ignorance in the midst of black seas
of infinity, and it was not meant that we should voyage" --H.P. Lovecraft

#22 scottj

scottj

2nd Line Scorer

• PipPipPip
  • 644 posts

Posted 30 April 2010 - 01:51 AM

I have an idea for Game 3 or 4. We'll need to find a group of people who are sitting together. Bring bristol board cards with numbers on them like 9.4, 10.0, 9.8, etc... Then when Devin or another Shark dives hold them up. ;) Should make for a funny broadcast.

lol I thought that of that a lil while ago when I was thinking about Crosby... It'd be perfect if there were 3 people in a row right by the glass lol. even better if they were right next to the sporting-event-in-a-sporting-event

#23 mustang051664

mustang051664

Top Prospect

• HoF Booster
  • 57 posts

Posted 30 April 2010 - 02:13 AM

Officiating was atrocious both ways. I will admit it is hard to believe that Setoguci did not get whistled for his high stick on Franzen. Last I heard, the player is responsible for his stick at all times.

#24 Nhurdi

Nhurdi

• PipPipPip
  • 739 posts

Posted 30 April 2010 - 03:24 AM

I was talking to friends during the second intermission and something came up.

Do you think it would be a good idea to have like a ref like member off the ice that reviews plays and during the intermission just shows them quickly to the refs on ice. I know it can't change calls already made but it can perhaps help refs determine certain things and call shenanigans when needed.

Like if a player dives, perhaps not be so quick to side with him next time something happens that they didn't get a great look at.

#25 The Secret

The Secret

1st Line All-Star

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,196 posts

Posted 30 April 2010 - 07:26 AM

Maybe it's just the heat of the game, but I felt myself getting irrationally angry during this game in a way that I don't usually feel. Every time the fans in that building cheered my blood pressure went up a little bit. When Setoguchi gashed Franzen open yet somehow drew a tripping call instead of sitting in the box for 4 like he should have, I think a small blood vessel in my brain burst. I understand that it's not his call, but he went down awfully hard considering he was busy taking a chunk out of Franzen's cheek.

And when he flopped like Peter Forsberg to draw the 5 on 3 I almost broke the nearest object (my phone, not a good idea). This little s*** will be the object of my hatred for the remainder of this series and in every game that Detroit and San Jose play in the future.

You are not alone my friend. I'm not normally fun to watch the playoffs with but its even worse when things like you mentioned above happen. How could 2 refs and 2 linesmen all miss Diving Devin Setoguchi's stick opening a gash on franzens face followed by a gorgeous swan dive? I Hate Setoguchi! I feel bad for the Sharks though... they hung on for a sketchy win after having a good rest while we just finished playing a hard fought 7 gamer.... wait until we get rested and back firing on all cylinders!

#26 Travis

Travis

Hall-of-Famer

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,460 posts

Posted 30 April 2010 - 09:12 AM

Eh, Diven Devin is just like a lot of other hockey players in today's game. Draper embellishes practically everything, I don't blame Devin as much as I do the refs that refuse to call obvious dives and obvious high stick penalties.

Haha, that's true. Draper did a complete 360 on that obstruction he drew.

cc_champs-5_zps34057ff0.png

#27 redshadow

redshadow

Draftee

• 11 posts

Posted 30 April 2010 - 09:16 AM

Posted Image
Posted Image

#28 Travis

Travis

Hall-of-Famer

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,460 posts

Posted 30 April 2010 - 09:19 AM

“It was a penalty, but don’t dive and lay on the ice and embellish it,” Babcock said of Setoguchi. “You’re from Western Canada. Don’t do that crap.”

- In response to Setoguchi's dive on the Filp high stick.

cc_champs-5_zps34057ff0.png

#29 Third Man In

Third Man In

Ready to rage.

• HoF Booster
  • 4,820 posts

Posted 30 April 2010 - 09:27 AM

I was talking to friends during the second intermission and something came up.

Do you think it would be a good idea to have like a ref like member off the ice that reviews plays and during the intermission just shows them quickly to the refs on ice. I know it can't change calls already made but it can perhaps help refs determine certain things and call shenanigans when needed.

Like if a player dives, perhaps not be so quick to side with him next time something happens that they didn't get a great look at.

They often do have something like this during the playoffs, like a league representative or even director of officials. But as we see with reviews of goals in Toronto, even attempts to centralize and standardize calls doesn't seem to work.

"When you're a Detroit Red Wing, you don't want to go anywhere." -Kris Draper
Duty Calls

#30 KrazyGangsta

KrazyGangsta

Hall-of-Famer

• Gold Booster
  • 2,465 posts

Posted 30 April 2010 - 09:30 AM

Posted Image
Posted Image

Nice Find! +1

#31 titanium2

titanium2

Asha... I want I want!!!

• Bronze Booster
  • 10,495 posts

Posted 30 April 2010 - 09:46 AM

Any luck on a video yet? I searched YT and didn't find anything.

#32 Third Man In

Third Man In

Ready to rage.

• HoF Booster
  • 4,820 posts

Posted 30 April 2010 - 09:46 AM

Ok I'm gonna preface this by saying this alone didn't cost the Wings the game (they can't fall behind 0-3 and go 0-5 on the PP while allowing the Sharks to go 2-6). But I've found a crappy-quality video. Begin around 2:24:

[url="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tRTxpZxzCUA"]http://www.youtube.c...h?v=tRTxpZxzCUA[/url]

Watch the replay on the Franzen penalty. Franzens face was nicked after he tripped Seto. Seto was falling, his stick was waist high, Franzen caught it on his way down.

You're right on the first but not on the second. This replay pretty well dispels the idea that the highstick was because of the trip. Although Franzen's stick makes contact first, Setoguchi's stick is already coming up well before. Certainly, if Franzen is to be held responsible for the stick to the back of the leg that led to Setoguchi's best Greg Louganis impression, Setoguchi's gotta be responsible for his.

Edited by Third Man In, 30 April 2010 - 09:50 AM.

Duty Calls

#33 Sprsquirt7

Sprsquirt7

4th Line Grinder

• PipPip
  • 246 posts

Posted 30 April 2010 - 09:54 AM

The high stick and the trip happened almost simultaneously. A penalty on Franzen was the correct call. The no call on setoguchi was not the correct call. Also he dove like a champ on that "high stick". I yelled out "He fricken dove!" as soon as it happened and the announcer actually said something funny when watching the replay it was along the lines of "Setoguchi got hit in the wrist and lost control of his legs". I was cracking up at this...even if he got hit in the chest/maybe face.

#34 kugz

kugz

Prospect

• 47 posts

Posted 30 April 2010 - 10:24 AM

60.1 High-sticking - A “high stick” is one which is carried above the height of the opponent’s shoulders. Players and goalkeepers must be in control and responsible for their stick. However, a player or goalkeeper is permitted accidental contact on an opponent if the act is committed as a normal windup or follow through of a shooting motion. A wild swing at a bouncing puck would not be considered a normal windup or follow through and any contact to an opponent above the height of the shoulders shall be penalized accordingly.

Unfortunately I don't see a clause stating if player is falling(diving) and doesn't maintain control of his stick no penalty shall be assessed....

#35 Mors

Mors

The Red Death

• HoF Booster
  • 1,995 posts

Posted 30 April 2010 - 10:29 AM

Wow, that dive is insane. Right at the 2:28 mark in the above video, he just blatantly FLOPS.

#36 Ratbastrd

Ratbastrd

Rookie

• Pip
  • 129 posts

Posted 30 April 2010 - 11:01 AM

Ok I'm gonna preface this by saying this alone didn't cost the Wings the game (they can't fall behind 0-3 and go 0-5 on the PP while allowing the Sharks to go 2-6). But I've found a crappy-quality video. Begin around 2:24:

You're right on the first but not on the second. This replay pretty well dispels the idea that the highstick was because of the trip. Although Franzen's stick makes contact first, Setoguchi's stick is already coming up well before. Certainly, if Franzen is to be held responsible for the stick to the back of the leg that led to Setoguchi's best Greg Louganis impression, Setoguchi's gotta be responsible for his.

Yep your right, looking at it again it does look like nearly simultaneous contact. Either way the point I was trying to make is, please don't get to the point where games are being decided by Refs. That drives me bat s***. Games are won and lost by players.

You should have seen all the whining going on in the last series, it got to the point where Sharks fans couldn't talk to Avs fans, it was really pathetic.

FYI: On the primary Sharks board, there is a poster named SJeasy, who is part of a group of people that review refs. Their data is highly statistical, and looks at measurables such as quality of skating, inteference with play, trends around calls (interference, rough stuff, diving etc.). I have found their assessment to be spot on. Prior to each game we get an announcement of who will be reffing the game and what to look for. Check it out. SJeasy ref discussion

#37 Pucks

Pucks

2nd Line Scorer

• PipPipPip
  • 680 posts

Posted 30 April 2010 - 11:06 AM

How about Setodouchei or Diveoguchi! :lol:

I wanted to punch that guy in that face last night, and the refs for being so ridiculous.

Edited by Pucks, 30 April 2010 - 11:21 AM.

Welcome to the playoffs....where the games get better and the officiating gets worse.

#38 mjtm77

mjtm77

mjtm77

• PipPipPipPip
  • 962 posts

Posted 30 April 2010 - 11:21 AM

I think that if someone dives and it is clear it should be a suspension get rid of the crap in the game. And add a couple challange flags or something this refs missing or calling the wrong calls has gone to far.
Posted Image

#39 Doc Holliday

Doc Holliday

LGW's impromptu Photoshopper

• Silver Booster
  • 4,337 posts

Posted 30 April 2010 - 11:25 AM

Posted Image
Posted Image

You got a slow mo clip of that?

Posted Image

#40 Third Man In

Third Man In

Ready to rage.

• HoF Booster
  • 4,820 posts

Posted 30 April 2010 - 11:58 AM

Yep your right, looking at it again it does look like nearly simultaneous contact. Either way the point I was trying to make is, please don't get to the point where games are being decided by Refs. That drives me bat s***. Games are won and lost by players.

You should have seen all the whining going on in the last series, it got to the point where Sharks fans couldn't talk to Avs fans, it was really pathetic.

FYI: On the primary Sharks board, there is a poster named SJeasy, who is part of a group of people that review refs. Their data is highly statistical, and looks at measurables such as quality of skating, inteference with play, trends around calls (interference, rough stuff, diving etc.). I have found their assessment to be spot on. Prior to each game we get an announcement of who will be reffing the game and what to look for. Check it out. SJeasy ref discussion

Agreed. The way the Wings PP was going, they probably would have declined any penalty on Setoguchi anyway. :lol: Thanks for the link, I'll check it out.

Just be careful--that's twice in this thread that you've compared us to Dive fans. Them's fightin' words around here. :lol:

Duty Calls