• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

JPT

Shanahan would go into the Hall of Fame as a Red Wing

Rate this topic

In an interview with Puck Daddy Brendan Shanahan stated that if he had to choose a jersey to go in to the Hockey Hall of Fame with it would be the Winged Wheel. Not surprising but made me happy to read it. He also shares his thoughts on Lost and the improvements in the game. Just a short interview with a great guy.

Puck Daddy

Edited by JPT

Maybe my all-time favorite Wing.

I love following Shanny on Twitter.

Last night he was answering some questions and said that at the Winter Olympics, Patrick Roy told he and Steve Yzerman that 'The Brawl' messed up Roy's shoulder. He said that both he and Stevie acted upset by the fact, but that they were both thinking, "high glove side".

Guest Lidstromboli

i wonder if there's some bizarre person out there that is capable of hating shanahan

Maybe my all-time favorite Wing.

I love following Shanny on Twitter.

Last night he was answering some questions and said that at the Winter Olympics, Patrick Roy told he and Steve Yzerman that 'The Brawl' messed up Roy's shoulder. He said that both he and Stevie acted upset by the fact, but that they were both thinking, "high glove side".

Shanny was great on Twitter last night. One shocking reveal is that he was actually friends with Claude Lemieux due to their time in Jersey together, so much so that Lemieux apparently named his son Brendan. Another one was that during the whole D-Mac/Lemieux beatdown, D-Mac actually had no idea that a full-scale brawl was going on behind him. :lol:

Guest Crymson

i wonder if there's some bizarre person out there that is capable of hating shanahan

If he ever succeeds in getting the NHL to make changes to its playoff overtime format, rest assured I'll hate his guts.

In an interview with Puck Daddy Brendan Shanahan stated that if he had to choose a jersey to go in to the Hockey Hall of Fame with it would be the Winged Wheel. Not surprising but made me happy to read it. He also shares his thoughts on Lost and the improvements in the game. Just a short interview with a great guy.

Puck Daddy

What other jersey would he even consider? Three Stanley Cups with Detroit makes it an easy decision.

Craig Janey?

That's exactly what I was thinking!

I was talking to Shanny via twitter the other night.. told him about the fact that I always happen to have a collection of "shanny's fanny" pictures from all the preskates. I said I now have a shanny's fanny album on my pc. He's like I'm so glad my name isn't Jacques.

At any rate - adore him and will always think of him as a wing and that's how he should go into the HHOF.

Edited by VladyIBELIEVE16

Shanny's jersey needs to be in the rafters at the Joe :thumbup:

I love Shanny and he will go down as one of my all time favorite Wings, but the fact that he was not home grown and did not spend at least one full decade here, makes me disagree... I think the retired Wings numbers belong to a VERY exclusive group and the honor should only go to essentially "lifers"

Nick should be the only other Wing of the modern era with such an honor...

i was just at one of the playoff games (cant remember which one it was cuz i went to all them) and they announced that shanny was there and everyone got up and gave him a standing ovation. i was right in front of him like 10 rows down and you could see a tear trying to sneak out of his eye he was so happy. needless to say hes a pimp daddy.

I love Shanny and he will go down as one of my all time favorite Wings, but the fact that he was not home grown and did not spend at least one full decade here, makes me disagree... I think the retired Wings numbers belong to a VERY exclusive group and the honor should only go to essentially "lifers"

For now anyways, we will see where Pav and Z end up.

Chris Osgood owns more Red Wings goaltending records than Terry Sawchuk, and has backstopped the team to two Cups. His #30 belongs up there.

Guest Crymson

Chris Osgood owns more Red Wings goaltending records than Terry Sawchuk, and has backstopped the team to two Cups. His #30 belongs up there.

Had the Wings won the Cup last year, Osgood would have been a lock for a number retirement. It's a toss-up at this point.

This is a slippery slope, but...

I'd consider giving Fedorov the honor as well. He was the prototype of what Bowman wanted every player to be. It could be argued that Yzerman didn't achieve his legendary status until he was basically forced to become another Fedorov type player. But the signing of Fedorov, with the defection and all, is a HUGE milestone in Red Wing lore. Nick became the prototypical Wings defensmen and Fedorov became the prototypical Wings forward. This team wouldn't look the way it looks today without those two players, imo. Contract squabbles in the twilight of his career shouldn't detract from that.

Fedorov deserves his jersey up WAAAAAAAAAAY before Shanahan.

Edited by Broken 16

Had the Wings won the Cup last year, Osgood would have been a lock for a number retirement. It's a toss-up at this point.

The fact that #30 was kept out of circulation from the time Ozzie left until he came back, meaning Ozzie is still the only player to wear #30 for Detroit since he entered the league despite a four year absence, doesn't give you an indication of how the management might feel about it?

I know the team has a rule about who gets their number retired and essentially, you have to be a lifer......but when the day comes that Ozzie retires, I sincerely hope the team considers making an exception for him. I wouldn't say that about just anyone who has played for this team, but Osgood is arguably one of the greatest goalies this franchise has ever had next to Sawchuk. That's not faint praise.

Didn't Gordie Howe play for the Hartford Whalers? Geez, we have to stop being so precious about these numbers. A player who plays here with honor and distinction should be able to have his number retired. I personally want to see #16 up there and there is no reason (to me) why it does not belong.

Looking at players whose careers are close to ending, I'd say Lidstrom and Osgood belong up there more than Fedorov or Shanahan, as much as I like all of them.

Lidstrom is a no-brainer, Osgood has the stats but for some reason never had the respect he deserved and probably won't get retired.

Out of the current bunch I see Datsyuk and Zetterberg being potential number retirees, but by then they may want to stop retiring everyone's numbers, haha. They may end up deserving it, but if one goes they both should and 2 might just be too many. A few more decades and half the available numbers will be retired at this rate!