• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

JPT

Shanahan would go into the Hall of Fame as a Red Wing

Rate this topic

Looking at players whose careers are close to ending, I'd say Lidstrom and Osgood belong up there more than Fedorov or Shanahan, as much as I like all of them.

Lidstrom is a no-brainer, Osgood has the stats but for some reason never had the respect he deserved and probably won't get retired.

Out of the current bunch I see Datsyuk and Zetterberg being potential number retirees, but by then they may want to stop retiring everyone's numbers, haha. They may end up deserving it, but if one goes they both should and 2 might just be too many. A few more decades and half the available numbers will be retired at this rate!

You can't put Shanahan and Fedorov in the same sentence in terms of what they brought to the team. People that weren't fans of the team when Fedorov arrived tend to vastly underestimate the impact he had on this franchise.

Edited by Broken 16

I know the team has a rule about who gets their number retired and essentially, you have to be a lifer......but when the day comes that Ozzie retires, I sincerely hope the team considers making an exception for him. I wouldn't say that about just anyone who has played for this team, but Osgood is arguably one of the greatest goalies this franchise has ever had next to Sawchuk. That's not faint praise.

Ozzie more or less is a lifer. The only reason he was traded (to the celebration of Isles fans, where he did quite well) was because the Wings had a shot at landing the #1 goaltender of all time.. not because they didn't feel Ozzie couldn't be backup to him, but because it would have been unfair to Ozzie, a very successful starting goaltender who was in the midst of his prime.

I think it's obvious how the organization feels about Ozzie, both for giving him that trade, later on bringing him back despite questions about his continued ability, and from how the players constantly talk about him and seem to show him the utmost respect. I know most goalies get respect from their players to some degree, but he seems genuinely and universally liked in the locker room.

Guest Lidstromboli

Didn't Gordie Howe play for the Hartford Whalers? Geez, we have to stop being so precious about these numbers. A player who plays here with honor and distinction should be able to have his number retired. I personally want to see #16 up there and there is no reason (to me) why it does not belong.

with the Red Wings: 25 years

with the Whalers - 1 year

Ozzie more or less is a lifer. The only reason he was traded

Osgood wasn't traded. The Wings had Hasek, Osgood, and Legace and Manny only cost $500k at the time, and had just come off an excellent season backing up Osgood.

Osgood was left exposed on waivers because waiver rules at the time forced the Wings to expose one of the three, and Osgood made almost $3m more than Legace; given the contracts already on the team with guys like Yzerman, Shanahan, Robitaille, Hull, Fedorov, Lidstrom, Chelios, and Hasek, it made keeping Ozzie as the backup expensive and with a small talent downgrade in Legace who would provide large savings, Wings management felt they could take the step of risking Osgood on waivers.

Shanny is awesome. Proud to have him go Hall of Fame as a Wing. His best years were with Detroit.

The guy is classic on his twitter.

I know the team has a rule about who gets their number retired and essentially, you have to be a lifer......but when the day comes that Ozzie retires, I sincerely hope the team considers making an exception for him. I wouldn't say that about just anyone who has played for this team, but Osgood is arguably one of the greatest goalies this franchise has ever had next to Sawchuk. That's not faint praise.

I agree. For all his ups and downs, he has been part of Detroit's legacy for many many years. He spent a few years away, but he also won us TWO cups. Once in 98, and again when he replaced Hasek in 2008.

Sure, Howard has the "go" right now, but what Osgood has done for this team is nothing to shake a stick at. How many goalies have lead their team to two cups? (Ignoring that he backed up another). Hell, how many teams in the league don't even have two cups yet?

Osgood ain't no Roy or Brodeur, but he's been a first rate goalie many times in his career.

Then again, if we retired every player who becomes a superstar in Detroit, we'd need bigger rafters eventually :)

Edited by Joseph Franks

I friggin' love Shanny. The logical part of me says there have been so many great players for the Wings in the past, and not all of them can be in the rafters, but the much bigger, not-so-reasonable part says screw it - string up the #14!! And even though I would darn well HOPE he'd wear a Wings jersey to the ceremony, I'm still glad to hear it, just the same.

Hope he stretches before the ceremony.

Bwahaha, that is pretty much the best thing ever...I watch it all the time. I love how Shanny pretty much sends it over the edge all by himself when he busts out the "tripod" line...awesome. Even D-Mac doesn't know what to say to that!

Edited by MulesWillFly93

Hell, how many teams in the league don't even have two cups yet?

Eighteen.

Only six teams in the league, not including O6 teams, have matched or surpassed in their existence the number of Cups that Osgood has won as a starter. Colorado, Edmonton, New Jersey, NY Islanders, Philadelphia, and Pittsburgh.

Speaking of such things...

People often bring up Cup rings as part of how to measure a player's greatness. The Wings have won 11 Cups. Normie Smith was the starter twice, Harry Lumley once, Johnny Mowers once, Terry Sawchuk three times, Mike Vernon once, Chris Osgood twice, and Dominik Hasek once.

In other words, if Osgood having surpassed a great deal of Sawchuk's team records isn't enough, Osgood is also tied for second in Cups as a starter in Detroit.

Lindsay played 3 season for Chicago. Don't think the team has a "rule" like that.

Shanny, put the Red Wings over the top in '97. They don't win that year w/o Shanny imo. Does he deserve to have his number retired? Maybe. I think the biggest thing is whether Ozzie gets his retired. Ozzie has done a lot for the Red Wings, with the wins, and the rings, but I don't see him getting his number retired. If he doesn't get his number retired, Shanny doesn't, Draper doesn't, Maltby doesn't, Federov doesn't, etc.

Shanny, put the Red Wings over the top in '97. They don't win that year w/o Shanny imo. Does he deserve to have his number retired? Maybe. I think the biggest thing is whether Ozzie gets his retired. Ozzie has done a lot for the Red Wings, with the wins, and the rings, but I don't see him getting his number retired. If he doesn't get his number retired, Shanny doesn't, Draper doesn't, Maltby doesn't, Federov doesn't, etc.

Just because Shanny was the last piece, doesn't mean he was the most important. He was a great addition, no doubt, but he should never have his jersey hung in the rafters.

Just because Shanny was the last piece, doesn't mean he was the most important. He was a great addition, no doubt, but he should never have his jersey hung in the rafters.

Agreed, and the Pistons aren't going to retire Rasheed Wallace's jersey any time soon either, and they wouldn't have won in 2004 without him.

Also, regarding all the numbers we want to retire.. don't forget you can only retire the jerseys for the top 99 players before they have to start wearing Roman numerals..

I'd also agree with the view that the rafters at the Joe are an extremely elite group and that management is going to keep it that way. I personally like this - I think it shows the kind of franchise the DRW is - also an elite one. So, as much as so many guys I can think of throughout the years deserve to be up there, (and I'd love for them to deserve that honor, because these are the players I grew up with and contributed so much to the team) I can't say I see more than Nick going up there in the rafters at least.

Ozzie should be up there, Shanny, Sergei, hell, maybe even think of guys who really haven't had a career outside Detroit (Drapes, Homer)...but they just aren't going to be.

Vladdy and Larry Aurie both did a lot for this franchise and their numbers aren't even up there. Nick is the only one that will make it, for better or for worse.

Z and Dats, we shall see.

Agreed, and the Pistons aren't going to retire Rasheed Wallace's jersey any time soon either, and they wouldn't have won in 2004 without him.

Also, regarding all the numbers we want to retire.. don't forget you can only retire the jerseys for the top 99 players before they have to start wearing Roman numerals..

Hieroglyphics... imagine how cool it would be to have a poster like this:

ra-hieroglyphs.gif

ra-hieroglyphs.gif

ra-hieroglyphs.gif

Ok, so the "correct" pronunciation is Ray, but work with me here.

Edited by 55fan

It's the opinion of many that Sheed caused the Pistons to lose to the Spurs the next year so he's even there.

I've always thought that if it needed to be heavily debated then it probably doesn't go up.

I'd say Lids for sure, after that it gets iffy. I'd put Ozzie there too but can see people arguing against him. Federov would be there if not for leaving town, there are many who won't forgive him for that.

Nice to hear Shanny say he'd go in as a Wing. As to whether he gets his number hung in the rafters, I'd have to say no. Nick is a shoe-in, and I'd love to see Pasha when he hangs them up, but it's very subjective. As far as Fedorov, never.

Osgood and jersey retirement? lol, the guy has NEVER been the best in the NHL. He had maybe one elite year. Other than that he is average goalie. Nothing more.

Shanny is a much better player, but still, not good enough to have his jersey retired.

Osgood and jersey retirement? lol, the guy has NEVER been the best in the NHL. He had maybe one elite year. Other than that he is average goalie. Nothing more.

Shanny is a much better player, but still, not good enough to have his jersey retired.

He won a cup, completely retrained his style and stance, and won another cup.

Well this brings up an interesting point. What is the criteria? Do you have to stellar numbers, or do Cups take care of that? How much weight do you give to what he brought to the team? More than stats?

Well this brings up an interesting point. What is the criteria? Do you have to stellar numbers, or do Cups take care of that? How much weight do you give to what he brought to the team? More than stats?

At the very least Osgood would need to find his way into the Hall of Fame to get up there and I frankly think that chance was lost last year against the Penguins. A third Cup and a Conn Smythe would have been very difficult to ignore.