• Please log in to reply
70 replies to this topic

#41 weGotTheCup89

weGotTheCup89

This is for the Wings fans!

• PipPip
  • 319 posts

Posted 01 May 2010 - 07:20 PM

Just because Shanny was the last piece, doesn't mean he was the most important. He was a great addition, no doubt, but he should never have his jersey hung in the rafters.

Agreed, and the Pistons aren't going to retire Rasheed Wallace's jersey any time soon either, and they wouldn't have won in 2004 without him.
Also, regarding all the numbers we want to retire.. don't forget you can only retire the jerseys for the top 99 players before they have to start wearing Roman numerals..
Q: Of all the individual trophies you have not won, which one would you most like to win?
Datsyuk: I have so many of them that I haven't won. I think I would most like to win a trophy to the best goaltending duo.

#42 Ram

Ram

Goose

• Bronze Booster
  • 757 posts

Posted 01 May 2010 - 08:31 PM

I'd also agree with the view that the rafters at the Joe are an extremely elite group and that management is going to keep it that way. I personally like this - I think it shows the kind of franchise the DRW is - also an elite one. So, as much as so many guys I can think of throughout the years deserve to be up there, (and I'd love for them to deserve that honor, because these are the players I grew up with and contributed so much to the team) I can't say I see more than Nick going up there in the rafters at least.

Ozzie should be up there, Shanny, Sergei, hell, maybe even think of guys who really haven't had a career outside Detroit (Drapes, Homer)...but they just aren't going to be.

Vladdy and Larry Aurie both did a lot for this franchise and their numbers aren't even up there. Nick is the only one that will make it, for better or for worse.

Z and Dats, we shall see.

"Hey @Datsyuk13 really bro? On my bday...cmonnnn.. Someone fix that ice in the corner.." - @logancouture

#43 55fan

55fan

All mine 'til 2-0-1-9

• HoF Booster
  • 12,891 posts

Posted 01 May 2010 - 10:11 PM

Agreed, and the Pistons aren't going to retire Rasheed Wallace's jersey any time soon either, and they wouldn't have won in 2004 without him.
Also, regarding all the numbers we want to retire.. don't forget you can only retire the jerseys for the top 99 players before they have to start wearing Roman numerals..

Hieroglyphics... imagine how cool it would be to have a poster like this:

Posted Image
Posted Image
Posted Image

Ok, so the "correct" pronunciation is Ray, but work with me here.

Edited by 55fan, 01 May 2010 - 10:12 PM.

#44 chuklz

chuklz

Rookie

• Pip
  • 140 posts

Posted 01 May 2010 - 10:39 PM

i wonder if there's some bizarre person out there that is capable of hating shanahan

Calling Mindfly

#45 softshoes

softshoes

3rd Line Checker

• PipPip
  • 474 posts

Posted 01 May 2010 - 10:44 PM

It's the opinion of many that Sheed caused the Pistons to lose to the Spurs the next year so he's even there.

I've always thought that if it needed to be heavily debated then it probably doesn't go up.

I'd say Lids for sure, after that it gets iffy. I'd put Ozzie there too but can see people arguing against him. Federov would be there if not for leaving town, there are many who won't forgive him for that.
"Pain or damage don't end the world. Or despair, or f***in beatin's. The world ends when you're dead. Until then you got more punishment in store.Stand it like a man, and give some back."

- Al Swearengen

#46 Kira

Kira

"I hope you're not from KGB"

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,557 posts

Posted 02 May 2010 - 08:16 AM

Nice to hear Shanny say he'd go in as a Wing. As to whether he gets his number hung in the rafters, I'd have to say no. Nick is a shoe-in, and I'd love to see Pasha when he hangs them up, but it's very subjective. As far as Fedorov, never.
Posted Image

#47 Reds4Life

Reds4Life

Red Wings

• Gold Booster
  • 2,640 posts

Posted 02 May 2010 - 08:25 AM

Osgood and jersey retirement? lol, the guy has NEVER been the best in the NHL. He had maybe one elite year. Other than that he is average goalie. Nothing more.
Shanny is a much better player, but still, not good enough to have his jersey retired.

#48 chuklz

chuklz

Rookie

• Pip
  • 140 posts

Posted 02 May 2010 - 08:27 AM

Osgood and jersey retirement? lol, the guy has NEVER been the best in the NHL. He had maybe one elite year. Other than that he is average goalie. Nothing more.
Shanny is a much better player, but still, not good enough to have his jersey retired.

He won a cup, completely retrained his style and stance, and won another cup.

#49 Travis

Travis

Hall-of-Famer

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,460 posts

Posted 02 May 2010 - 08:43 AM

Well this brings up an interesting point. What is the criteria? Do you have to stellar numbers, or do Cups take care of that? How much weight do you give to what he brought to the team? More than stats?

cc_champs-5_zps34057ff0.png

#50 egroen

egroen

Hall-of-Famer

• Gold Booster
  • 4,619 posts

Posted 02 May 2010 - 09:05 AM

Well this brings up an interesting point. What is the criteria? Do you have to stellar numbers, or do Cups take care of that? How much weight do you give to what he brought to the team? More than stats?

At the very least Osgood would need to find his way into the Hall of Fame to get up there and I frankly think that chance was lost last year against the Penguins. A third Cup and a Conn Smythe would have been very difficult to ignore.
Red Kelly #4 and Larry Aurie #6 belong in the rafters!!!

"For my game, I don't need to score the goal," Konstantinov once explained. "I need someone to start thinking about me and forgetting about scoring goals."

#51 thedisappearer

thedisappearer

Hall-of-Famer

• Silver Booster
  • 2,194 posts

Posted 02 May 2010 - 10:09 AM

it made keeping Ozzie as the backup expensive and with a small talent downgrade in Legace

I'm not sure saying Legace was a "small talent downgrade" helps your point...
*this space for rent*

#52 Pucks

Pucks

2nd Line Scorer

• PipPipPip
  • 680 posts

Posted 02 May 2010 - 10:59 AM

Winning a cup doesn't make you an elite player. Chris was never considered an elite goalie in this league at any time. Draper and Maltby have more cups than he does. Do they go up also? How about McCarty? ....LOL chris is a fan favorite, he does not belong up in the rafters next to Yzerman and Lidstrom for gods sake! Give your head a shake people.

Welcome to the playoffs....where the games get better and the officiating gets worse.

#53 Reds4Life

Reds4Life

Red Wings

• Gold Booster
  • 2,640 posts

Posted 02 May 2010 - 11:20 AM

Wings won the Cup. The 98 Cup was won DESPITE Osgood, not because he was good.
In 08, he was good, not great or elite.

Seriously, how could avergae goalie, a stats compiler (many wins because of great teams he played on for majority of his career) make it to the same group with Howe, Lindsay, Yzerman, Sawchuk etc.
It would be an insult to those all time greats.

#54 Electrophile

Electrophile

Ipsa scientia potestas est.

• Silver Booster
  • 9,390 posts

Posted 02 May 2010 - 11:21 AM

You don't have to be the best in the NHL to get your number retired by the Wings. There have been a lot of players in the NHL better than Steve Yzerman, but no one was better AS A WING. And that's what gets your number retired. Chris Osgood is one of the greatest goalies this franchise has ever had, and if that doesn't get his number retired, then no more numbers should ever be retired by this organization.

electrophilewingsfloyd.jpg

"People assume that time is a strict progression of cause to effect, but *actually* from a non-linear, non-subjective viewpoint - it's more like a big ball of wibbly wobbly... time-y wimey... stuff."  -- The Doctor

#55 Reds4Life

Reds4Life

Red Wings

• Gold Booster
  • 2,640 posts

Posted 02 May 2010 - 11:23 AM

You don't have to be the best in the NHL to get your number retired by the Wings. There have been a lot of players in the NHL better than Steve Yzerman, but no one was better AS A WING. And that's what gets your number retired. Chris Osgood is one of the greatest goalies this franchise has ever had, and if that doesn't get his number retired, then no more numbers should ever be retired by this organization.

If you exclude non-humans (Gretz and Mario) Yzerman WAS the best center for some time. He also won several major individual trophies. Something Osgood never did and will never do.

#56 Electrophile

Electrophile

• Silver Booster
  • 9,390 posts

Posted 02 May 2010 - 11:30 AM

If you exclude non-humans (Gretz and Mario) Yzerman WAS the best center for some time. He also won several major individual trophies. Something Osgood never did and will never do.

So the fact that he holds nearly all the goaltending records for this organization, more than Terry Sawchuk, means jack squat?

Alrighty then.

Again I'll say, if one of the greatest goaltenders in the history of the franchise doesn't get his number retired by that franchise, they should stop retiring numbers. I'm not some Osgood slappy who thinks the sun shines out of ass, but I can look at what he's done as a Detroit Red Wing and what other goalies for the Wings have done and say......hey.....he's done more. Shouldn't that warrant #30 in the rafters? Furthermore, I wasn't talking about players just at Steve Yzerman's position. I'm talking about the fact that in toto there have been many players in the history of the NHL better than him. Steve still got his number retired. Many of those players won far more Cups and individual trophies than he did. Steve still got his number retired. Getting your number retired by the Red Wings is in honor of what you've done for this franchise during your career.

Based on his CAREER NUMBERS WITH THE DETROIT RED WINGS, Chris Osgood should have his number retired.

Edited by Electrophile, 02 May 2010 - 11:30 AM.

"People assume that time is a strict progression of cause to effect, but *actually* from a non-linear, non-subjective viewpoint - it's more like a big ball of wibbly wobbly... time-y wimey... stuff."  -- The Doctor

#57 Reds4Life

Reds4Life

Red Wings

• Gold Booster
  • 2,640 posts

Posted 02 May 2010 - 11:37 AM

So the fact that he holds nearly all the goaltending records for this organization, more than Terry Sawchuk, means jack squat?

Alrighty then.

Again I'll say, if one of the greatest goaltenders in the history of the franchise doesn't get his number retired by that franchise, they should stop retiring numbers. I'm not some Osgood slappy who thinks the sun shines out of ass, but I can look at what he's done as a Detroit Red Wing and what other goalies for the Wings have done and say......hey.....he's done more. Shouldn't that warrant #30 in the rafters? Furthermore, I wasn't talking about players just at Steve Yzerman's position. I'm talking about the fact that in toto there have been many players in the history of the NHL better than him. Steve still got his number retired. Many of those players won far more Cups and individual trophies than he did. Steve still got his number retired. Getting your number retired by the Red Wings is in honor of what you've done for this franchise during your career.

Based on his CAREER NUMBERS WITH THE DETROIT RED WINGS, Chris Osgood should have his number retired.

So just because Wings had crappy goalies most of their history, they should retire Osgoods number?
He might have more wins than Sawchuk, but that does not change the fact that Sawchuk is much, much better player, he carried the Wings.
Osgood is a stats compiler. He won many games, but that is TEAM effort, not just his. He also won 2 Cups, the first he sucked ass and the team still won. He was good during the second run.
I ask again, one good playoff run, a lot of regular season wins and no individual awards or all star teams (not the ASG joke, real all star teams) warrants a jersey retirement?
Well, then Draper won more games, was better in the playoffs overall and he even won Selke. Retire his jersey too?

#58 Electrophile

Electrophile

• Silver Booster
  • 9,390 posts

Posted 02 May 2010 - 11:45 AM

Well, then Draper won more games, was better in the playoffs overall and he even won Selke. Retire his jersey too?

No, because Kris Draper is not one of the best forwards the Red Wings have had. However Chris Osgood is arguably the greatest goalie the Red Wings have had.

Edited by Electrophile, 02 May 2010 - 11:48 AM.

#59 Crymson

Crymson

Ninjelephant

• Gold Booster
  • 11,032 posts

Posted 02 May 2010 - 12:15 PM

Shanny, put the Red Wings over the top in '97. They don't win that year w/o Shanny imo.

The same is true of Brad Stuart and the '08 Cup win, but Stuart's jersey ain't gonna be retired.

#60 BAFGA

BAFGA

Top Prospect

• Pip
  • 85 posts

Posted 02 May 2010 - 12:41 PM

I don't believe in retiring numbers, but the Red Wings at least make it an exclusive thing, especially with 11 championships. Some teams retire jerseys without having won squat. St. Louis has 6 retired jersey numbers and have never won a Stanley Cup, or even a game in the finals after 12 trys!