• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

JPT

Shanahan would go into the Hall of Fame as a Red Wing

Rate this topic

He won a cup, completely retrained his style and stance, and won another cup.

Winning a cup doesn't make you an elite player. Chris was never considered an elite goalie in this league at any time. Draper and Maltby have more cups than he does. Do they go up also? How about McCarty? ....LOL chris is a fan favorite, he does not belong up in the rafters next to Yzerman and Lidstrom for gods sake! Give your head a shake people.

He won a cup, completely retrained his style and stance, and won another cup.

Wings won the Cup. The 98 Cup was won DESPITE Osgood, not because he was good.

In 08, he was good, not great or elite.

Seriously, how could avergae goalie, a stats compiler (many wins because of great teams he played on for majority of his career) make it to the same group with Howe, Lindsay, Yzerman, Sawchuk etc.

It would be an insult to those all time greats.

Osgood and jersey retirement? lol, the guy has NEVER been the best in the NHL. He had maybe one elite year. Other than that he is average goalie. Nothing more.

Shanny is a much better player, but still, not good enough to have his jersey retired.

You don't have to be the best in the NHL to get your number retired by the Wings. There have been a lot of players in the NHL better than Steve Yzerman, but no one was better AS A WING. And that's what gets your number retired. Chris Osgood is one of the greatest goalies this franchise has ever had, and if that doesn't get his number retired, then no more numbers should ever be retired by this organization.

You don't have to be the best in the NHL to get your number retired by the Wings. There have been a lot of players in the NHL better than Steve Yzerman, but no one was better AS A WING. And that's what gets your number retired. Chris Osgood is one of the greatest goalies this franchise has ever had, and if that doesn't get his number retired, then no more numbers should ever be retired by this organization.

If you exclude non-humans (Gretz and Mario) Yzerman WAS the best center for some time. He also won several major individual trophies. Something Osgood never did and will never do.

If you exclude non-humans (Gretz and Mario) Yzerman WAS the best center for some time. He also won several major individual trophies. Something Osgood never did and will never do.

So the fact that he holds nearly all the goaltending records for this organization, more than Terry Sawchuk, means jack squat?

Alrighty then.

Again I'll say, if one of the greatest goaltenders in the history of the franchise doesn't get his number retired by that franchise, they should stop retiring numbers. I'm not some Osgood slappy who thinks the sun shines out of ass, but I can look at what he's done as a Detroit Red Wing and what other goalies for the Wings have done and say......hey.....he's done more. Shouldn't that warrant #30 in the rafters? Furthermore, I wasn't talking about players just at Steve Yzerman's position. I'm talking about the fact that in toto there have been many players in the history of the NHL better than him. Steve still got his number retired. Many of those players won far more Cups and individual trophies than he did. Steve still got his number retired. Getting your number retired by the Red Wings is in honor of what you've done for this franchise during your career.

Based on his CAREER NUMBERS WITH THE DETROIT RED WINGS, Chris Osgood should have his number retired.

Edited by Electrophile

So the fact that he holds nearly all the goaltending records for this organization, more than Terry Sawchuk, means jack squat?

Alrighty then.

Again I'll say, if one of the greatest goaltenders in the history of the franchise doesn't get his number retired by that franchise, they should stop retiring numbers. I'm not some Osgood slappy who thinks the sun shines out of ass, but I can look at what he's done as a Detroit Red Wing and what other goalies for the Wings have done and say......hey.....he's done more. Shouldn't that warrant #30 in the rafters? Furthermore, I wasn't talking about players just at Steve Yzerman's position. I'm talking about the fact that in toto there have been many players in the history of the NHL better than him. Steve still got his number retired. Many of those players won far more Cups and individual trophies than he did. Steve still got his number retired. Getting your number retired by the Red Wings is in honor of what you've done for this franchise during your career.

Based on his CAREER NUMBERS WITH THE DETROIT RED WINGS, Chris Osgood should have his number retired.

So just because Wings had crappy goalies most of their history, they should retire Osgoods number?

He might have more wins than Sawchuk, but that does not change the fact that Sawchuk is much, much better player, he carried the Wings.

Osgood is a stats compiler. He won many games, but that is TEAM effort, not just his. He also won 2 Cups, the first he sucked ass and the team still won. He was good during the second run.

I ask again, one good playoff run, a lot of regular season wins and no individual awards or all star teams (not the ASG joke, real all star teams) warrants a jersey retirement?

Well, then Draper won more games, was better in the playoffs overall and he even won Selke. Retire his jersey too?

Well, then Draper won more games, was better in the playoffs overall and he even won Selke. Retire his jersey too?

No, because Kris Draper is not one of the best forwards the Red Wings have had. However Chris Osgood is arguably the greatest goalie the Red Wings have had.

Edited by Electrophile

Guest Crymson

Shanny, put the Red Wings over the top in '97. They don't win that year w/o Shanny imo.

The same is true of Brad Stuart and the '08 Cup win, but Stuart's jersey ain't gonna be retired.

I don't believe in retiring numbers, but the Red Wings at least make it an exclusive thing, especially with 11 championships. Some teams retire jerseys without having won squat. St. Louis has 6 retired jersey numbers and have never won a Stanley Cup, or even a game in the finals after 12 trys!

No, because Kris Draper is not one of the best forwards the Red Wings have had. However Chris Osgood is arguably the greatest goalie the Red Wings have had.

Not. Even. Close. To. Sawchuk.

Not. Even. Close. To. Sawchuk.

Then why does he own nearly all our team's goaltending records? If he sucked, he wouldn't have them. And please don't give me the hackneyed excuse that he's a "stats compiler". He's good at what he does and he's been good at what he does for a long time, so naturally he's going to be advancing in statistical categories. It doesn't even make sense, this "stats compiler" excuse.

Edited by Electrophile

Then why does he own nearly all our team's goaltending records? If he sucked, he wouldn't have them. And please don't give me the hackneyed excuse that he's a "stats compiler". He's good at what he does and he's been good at what he does for a long time, so naturally he's going to be advancing in statistical categories. It doesn't even make sense, this "stats compiler" excuse.

Do you even know who Terry Sawchuk was? Find some info and then decide for yourself. No sane person would EVER claim Osgood is comparable to Sawchuk. And yes, Osgood is a stats compiler. Average goalie, playing for powerhouse (regular season) teams most of his career. If he was that good, he would have some hardware to back it up.

Edited by Reds4Life

Guest REDWINGSFTW

Do you even know who Terry Sawchuk was? Find some info and then decide for yourself. No sane person would EVER claim Osgood is comparable to Sawchuk. And yes, Osgood is a stats compiler. Average goalie, playing for powerhouse (regular season) teams most of his career. If he was that good, he would have some hardware to back it up.

Ye osgood was never a amazing goalie that can steal you games. He ALWAYS had a great team infront of him. Did you ever see him go anywhere with the others teams he was on. He played decent but no amazing. Lets compare him to Brodeur, who you can compare to sawchuk, would Ozzy have won any cups with the devils? Brodeur would be giving us cups every year if we had him because hes on sawchuks level, or was. Definately arguable.

i wonder if there's some bizarre person out there that is capable of hating shanahan

Love what he has done as a player. Starting to hate what he has done with the competition committee. Now he works for Bettman. I don't know what to think.

Ye osgood was never a amazing goalie that can steal you games. He ALWAYS had a great team infront of him. Did you ever see him go anywhere with the others teams he was on. He played decent but no amazing. Lets compare him to Brodeur, who you can compare to sawchuk, would Ozzy have won any cups with the devils? Brodeur would be giving us cups every year if we had him because hes on sawchuks level, or was. Definately arguable.

Brodeur plays in a defensive system. Always has. He was a great goalie but I think his stats are a bit inflated. He is one of the best. Not the best. Roy played on good teams but he had to be amazing all the time. He definitely is the best in my eyes. I think it shows how good our team was to beat him numerous times. He had to be great.

Well this brings up an interesting point. What is the criteria? Do you have to stellar numbers, or do Cups take care of that? How much weight do you give to what he brought to the team? More than stats?

Had the unthinkable happened and Yzerman never won a Cup but was with the Wings for his whole career - his jersey would still be in the rafters.

Osgood has been a great Red Wing and we were lucky to have him. Not entirely sure about his jersey in the rafters because I think that opens the door for alot of other ones that probably otherwise wouldn't be there.

I kind of like that is an exclusive, exclusive club. Not something that ridicules jersey retirements like the Avs have done. <_<