• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

GMRwings1983

Wings Lack Third Period Comebacks

Rate this topic

As I said yesterday, it seems like 3 years since we last had a comeback in the 3rd period of a playoff game. If I'm not mistaken, I think the last time was that game against San Jose where Lang scored with the goalie pulled.

Now we've had some good playoff runs the last few years and have had tremendous talent, yet for some reason we're just not a come from behind team. Why?

I will give us credit for protecting leads very well in 3rd periods over that stretch, but unfortunately it hasn't worked the other way around.

With other teams pulling off two or three goal comebacks all the time, it'd be nice to see us do it too. Seems like when we go into the 3rd trailing, the game is over.

I hope this changes soon.

troll.jpg

You're probably the worst poster on this board.

What did I say that wasn't true about our play in 3rd periods over the years?

Now wonder people here are getting on your ass all the time. Thanks for contributing to the thread King Crymson. :thumbdown: That picture you posted should be reserved for you.

Edited by GMRwings1983

Guest Crymson

I know the reason why Crymson is a foolish poster but unfortunately I can't say... :hehe:

I imagine this is some insinuation about me being Jewish. Bravo. Please just come out and say it.

Edit: Yes, I am Jewish. I meant that I suspected that this was the 'reason' mindfly was alluding to.

Edited by Crymson

In this series we will have a third period comeback.

I hope we don't need it, but it'd be nice knowing that we can do it.

Like I said, we're good in the 3rd when we're tied or ahead, but not when we're behind.

Now in the regular season we've had some good comebacks in the third but it's been a while since we've been able to do it well in the playoffs.

Yesterday we had some good chances but just couldn't capitalize on it late.

As I said yesterday, it seems like 3 years since we last had a comeback in the 3rd period of a playoff game. If I'm not mistaken, I think the last time was that game against San Jose where Lang scored with the goalie pulled.

Now we've had some good playoff runs the last few years and have had tremendous talent, yet for some reason we're just not a come from behind team. Why?

I will give us credit for protecting leads very well in 3rd periods over that stretch, but unfortunately it hasn't worked the other way around.

With other teams pulling off two or three goal comebacks all the time, it'd be nice to see us do it too. Seems like when we go into the 3rd trailing, the game is over.

I hope this changes soon.

I think you can summarize the Wings attitude in the playoffs over the years as been there done that. So, they sometimes get complacent and feel that if they just bide their time, it will work out. They don't like to open it up, which can cause the situation to get even worse. I think the biggest thing is that the Wings need to have better starts to not get into that situation in the first place. They need to play a complete 60 minutes.

Guest Crymson

You're probably the worst poster on this board.

What did I say that wasn't true about our play in 3rd periods over the years?

Now wonder people here are getting on your ass all the time. Thanks for contributing to the thread King Crymson. :thumbdown: That picture you posted should be reserved for you.

You whine constantly. You complain the moment that the Wings do not meet your lofty expectations. This thread is yet another example of such.

You whine constantly. You complain the moment that the Wings do not meet your lofty expectations. This thread is yet another example of such.

I heart one of the talking heads on TV say that the Redwings were 0 for 95 all time when trailing by 3 or more goals in the playoffs. Could this possibly be true?

Guest Crymson

I heart one of the talking heads on TV say that the Redwings were 0 for 95 all time when trailing by 3 or more goals in the playoffs. Could this possibly be true?

It's possible. That said, two things stick out about that statement:

1) Nobody on this team was present for the vast majority of those cases, making that statistic meaningless

2) Few teams come back from a three-goal margin in the playoffs

This is a legitimate thread.

Only one person here is whining and has nothing constructive to post in response to it. Would you like to guess who that is?

Stop trolling Crymson.

Guest Crymson

This is a legitimate thread.

Only one person here is whining and has nothing constructive to post in response to it. Would you like to guess who that is?

Stop trolling Crymson.

I'm not trolling Crymson.

I'm not trolling Crymson.

:rolleyes:

Look at your first post in this thread.

I posted a meaningful and true thread about our 3rd period play in the playoffs over the years, and you posted squat, which is about all you can contribute anymore to this forum.

You were trolling from the very first post. Of course I'm going to get on you for doing that.

I wasn't necessarily talking about 3 goal deficits, I was talking about any deficit going into the 3rd.

But yeah, that is a weird stat.

I imagine this is some insinuation about me being Jewish. Bravo. Please just come out and say it.

:lol:

on a side note...babcock should have put helm or abby out there in the dying minutes to go get the puck for Z, dats and franzen to put it in the net. not the likes of cleary and draper who brought nothing to the table. if not those 2, they should have had Z, dats, flip/homer, franzen, lids and rafalski on to try and tie it up.

i think the player selection and lost faceoffs cost the wings a better chance to tie it up. Z's my favorite player, but i would have had dats take the faceoff and Z or franzen take the shot. and possibly homer there to bang a quick rebound in...not cleary.

:lol:

on a side note...babcock should have put helm or abby out there in the dying minutes to go get the puck for Z, dats and franzen to put it in the net. not the likes of cleary and draper who brought nothing to the table. if not those 2, they should have had Z, dats, flip/homer, franzen, lids and rafalski on to try and tie it up.

i think the player selection and lost faceoffs cost the wings a better chance to tie it up. Z's my favorite player, but i would have had dats take the faceoff and Z or franzen take the shot. and possibly homer there to bang a quick rebound in...not cleary.

Homer was on the ice there at the end. We got the play we wanted with Lidstrom shooting from the point, but Nabokov saw it all the way.

If you're talking about the very last shift, then yes, the lost faceoff cost us any chance of having a decent scoring opportunity.

Wings also dont get hit with tons of power plays in the third like the pens and hawks do.

Yeah, but you don't necessarily need PP's to come back from a one-goal deficit.

We should have enough firepower to be a better come from behind team in the third, even if it's just 5 on 5 play.

Besides, we've gotten our fair share of powerplay chances in most of these games. Remeber games 6 and 7 against the Pens? We had several PP's in the third period of those games but couldn't tie it up.

In the past three seasons, teams trailing after the 2nd are a combined 22-145. It doesn't really happen all the time. Furthermore, 17 of those 22 wins came in the first round. The other 5 in the second.

Detroit is 0-14 in the last three playoffs. 9 of their 18 total losses came in the third round or finals, where the teams are good enough to make comebacks very rare. Not sure how many of those were tied after 2 (Wings were 4-3 in those games not counting this year) so at the very least 6 of those 14 you really couldn't expect them to come back. 0-8 is not all the remarkable. You would only 'expect' maybe 1 or 2 wins anyway. Couple of the games this year, we weren't playing well to begin with, and I'm sure some of the losses the previous two years were the same. There isn't anything unusual about it.

Level of competition, poor play to begin with, bad luck...the playoffs are such a small sample that I don't think you can draw any conclusions. Over the past three regular seasons, the Wings were 1st, 1st, and 12th in Win % when behind after 2 (1st, 2nd, & tied for 3rd in Point %). Being 12th/3rd this year despite being a pretty poor team for much of the season I think says a lot more than 14 playoff games in the last three years.

Another situation that doesn't give Wings fans much optimism is if a playoff game goes to OT. The Wings are 6-8 since the '04 playoffs.

In the six games that they did win, the goal scorers were,

Maltby (EDM 06)

Franzen (CAL 07)

Schneider (SJ 07)

Franzen (NAS 08)

Samuelsson (CHI 09)

Helm (CHI 09)

Hmm.

In the past three seasons, teams trailing after the 2nd are a combined 22-145. It doesn't really happen all the time. Furthermore, 17 of those 22 wins came in the first round. The other 5 in the second.

Detroit is 0-14 in the last three playoffs. 9 of their 18 total losses came in the third round or finals, where the teams are good enough to make comebacks very rare. Not sure how many of those were tied after 2 (Wings were 4-3 in those games not counting this year) so at the very least 6 of those 14 you really couldn't expect them to come back. 0-8 is not all the remarkable. You would only 'expect' maybe 1 or 2 wins anyway. Couple of the games this year, we weren't playing well to begin with, and I'm sure some of the losses the previous two years were the same. There isn't anything unusual about it.

Level of competition, poor play to begin with, bad luck...the playoffs are such a small sample that I don't think you can draw any conclusions. Over the past three regular seasons, the Wings were 1st, 1st, and 12th in Win % when behind after 2 (1st, 2nd, & tied for 3rd in Point %). Being 12th/3rd this year despite being a pretty poor team for much of the season I think says a lot more than 14 playoff games in the last three years.

Thanks for researching all that.

I knew it was bad, but 0-14 is worse than I thought. That isn't very hopeful in all honesty if we go into the third trailing.

I don't think we even forced OT in those 14 games.

Another situation that doesn't give Wings fans much optimism is if a playoff game goes to OT. The Wings are 6-8 since the '04 playoffs.

In the six games that they did win, the goal scorers were,

Maltby (EDM 06)

Franzen (CAL 07)

Schneider (SJ 07)

Franzen (NAS 08)

Samuelsson (CHI 09)

Helm (CHI 09)

Hmm.

We've actually been about .500 in the Babcock era in OT.

It's the Dave Lewis era and the end of the Bowman era when we were atrocious in playoff OT's. We seemed to lose every game we played in OT.

Thanks for researching all that.

I knew it was bad, but 0-14 is worse than I thought. That isn't very hopeful in all honesty if we go into the third trailing.

I don't think we even forced OT in those 14 games.

I think you missed my point. There's nothing bad about it. It's too small of a sample size to be meaningful. It is an entirely insignificant statistic. The Wings have been an excellent 3rd period team.

I think you missed my point. There's nothing bad about it. It's too small of a sample size to be meaningful. It is an entirely insignificant statistic. The Wings have been an excellent 3rd period team.

Yeah, when we're tied or have the lead.

I don't think 14 games from one team is a small sample size. I realize that most teams lose when trailing going into the 3rd, but it'd be nice to see it just once from us.

Who knows, maybe it'll happen tomorrow, although I hope we don't go into the 3rd trailing tomorrow. :D