• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

Sign in to follow this  
chrisdetroit

Pens get lucky AGAIN

Rate this topic

Is anybody else pissed that the #1, #2 and #3 teams in the east all lost in the first round and have paved the way for the Pens to return to the finals? I mean for God's sake, how much luck can 1 team have.

While we are playing San Jose, they are playing a Montreal team that almost didn't make the playoffs. And then if we get past San Jose we face either Chicago or Vancouver and they get Boston or Philadelphia.

This to me is unbelievable. I don't believe that it's a conspiracy but what are the odds of this happening?

Considering half the teams in the East wouldn't have even made the playoffs in the West, yeah it sucks. Not only is it easier for the Pens to get to the Finals, but they also get to rack up stats against weak ass teams on their way so we can hear about how great their players are with all their points.

esteef

Guest DatsyukianDeke13

But now, Jordan Staal is injured for the rest of the playoffs. The hockey gods have spoken.

Yeah this is something that really pisses me off too. Last year they get to face the "cardiac canes" that needed the final day of the regular season to even make the playoffs. And they got to face them in the eastern conference finals no less, which of course ended in a sweep. Now this year they get to face the #7 and #8 seeds so far? They will certainly beat the Habs. Then they will either face a Philly team that also needed the last game of the regular season to make the playoffs, or a Boston team that is still without their best point producer in Marc Savard. Yet another walk in the park for Pittsburgh. Luckiest team ever.

And while I think there's no doubt the Pens will be in the finals again, I also think there's no doubt that whoever wins the west will be hoisting the cup this year. I sure hope it's the Red Wings. But if it's not, as much as I hate the Blackhawks, Canucks and Sharks, I will be hardcore cheering any of them on against Pittsburgh. For me as long as the Pens don't win again, I'll be okay.

I fail to see how facing Philly next round would be considered 'easy'. You may as well have said that Washington would walk through Montreal... oh wait, everyone did. :)

I have a feeling Philly would upset Pitt.

I fail to see how facing Philly next round would be considered 'easy'. You may as well have said that Washington would walk through Montreal... oh wait, everyone did. :)

I have a feeling Philly would upset Pitt.

No Carter, Gagne or Lappy sure does make it easier facing Philly next round.

esteef

Yeah this is something that really pisses me off too. Last year they get to face the "cardiac canes" that needed the final day of the regular season to even make the playoffs. And they got to face them in the eastern conference finals no less, which of course ended in a sweep. Now this year they get to face the #7 and #8 seeds so far? They will certainly beat the Habs. Then they will either face a Philly team that also needed the last game of the regular season to make the playoffs, or a Boston team that is still without their best point producer in Marc Savard. Yet another walk in the park for Pittsburgh. Luckiest team ever.

And while I think there's no doubt the Pens will be in the finals again, I also think there's no doubt that whoever wins the west will be hoisting the cup this year. I sure hope it's the Red Wings. But if it's not, as much as I hate the Blackhawks, Canucks and Sharks, I will be hardcore cheering any of them on against Pittsburgh. For me as long as the Pens don't win again, I'll be okay.

Take that part back. Savard was cleared by team doctors for Round 2.

No Carter, Gagne or Lappy sure does make it easier facing Philly next round.

esteef

While I'm not 100% on this, I thought that Carter and Gagne were projected to be back in 3 weeks from the initial injury, so they'd be back for the third round. Not sure about Lappy though.

Edit: http://www.philly.com/inquirer/sports/20100422_Flyers_lose_Carter__Gagne_to_injuries.html

Each fractured his right foot. Both will have surgery Friday. Holmgren said Gagne will be out at least three weeks, while Carter will be sidelined for six-plus weeks, effectively ending his season.

So Gagne might be back.

Edited by Zetts

I agree. The east is pathetically weak. I think all 4 of the Western teams are better than all of the teams left in the east. The Pens have a pretty smooth road to the finals now, I just don't see them losing to Montreal or Boston of Philly, even without Staal.

Its not a conspiracy or the league pulling strings, its just the fact that the East is so terrible.

What the hockey gods giveth, they taketh away. They're reporting that Staal is out for the season.

Philly and Boston have had their share of injuries this year.

Last year the hockey gods gave you a hurt Red Wings team in the Finals. They've made up for it by giving you a s***ty Senators team and a s***ty Canadiens team for opponents.

The hockey gods can kiss my ass.

And to add to all this, they get to play all their opponents in the same time zone. Whereas, the Wings will have to fly back and forth several thousand miles through 3 time zones to get to the finals. :thumbdown:

If we get to the finals against them again, let's just spot the Pens a couple of goals each game as well... :rolleyes:

Whats the point here? They are the best all round team in the East. They're offensively and defensively sound. No other team in the East has that. So, are you saying its unfair that they are good? How many times have we heard how Detroit has the weakest division in the league so its not hard to win every year. It pays to be good. Bottom line. I'm no Pens fan by any means, but face facts, they are scary good, without or without the refs on their side. While we play San Jose they play Montreal, whats the issue? Its unfair that we finished as a lower seed so we have to play a better team now? So its unfair to the rest of the league that the Wings had to play lower teams every other year because they finished first? I don't understand your rant here, sorry.

Edited by CMatt89

Whats the point here? They are the best all round team in the East. They're offensively and defensively sound. No other team in the East has that. So, are you saying its unfair that they are good? How many times have we heard how Detroit has the weakest division in the league so its not hard to win every year. It pays to be good. Bottom line. I'm no Pens fan by any means, but face facts, they are scary good, without or without the refs on their side. While we play San Jose they play Montreal, whats the issue? Its unfair that we finished as a lower seed so we have to play a better team now? So its unfair to the rest of the league that the Wings had to play lower teams every other year because they finished first? I don't understand your rant here, sorry.

I guess you didn't read the OP. He said unlucky. Not unfair. They play in an absurdly easy conference and have very weak competition throughout the year.

Guest Crymson

What the hockey gods giveth, they taketh away. They're reporting that Staal is out for the season.

I'm told the NHL is defrosting one of their Jordan Staal clones. It'll be ready to play next game. It is NHL policy to keep replacements for all Pittsburgh Penguins players during the playoffs.

I always thought it would be better if 1-8 from the east played 8-1 from the west in the first round. There wouldn't be a conference champion, but the cup would mean a lot more. And for the foreseeable future, the cup would come west every year.

The last 10-or-so years, the Western has been significantly better. I think the only reason the Wings didn't hoist the cup last year is because they played so many tough games just to make it to the finals.

On the plus side, most series out west are incredible hockey - much better than the SCF. Last year, the Wings had to be on for every single game to win it all, and I'm sure that will be true for this year's Western Conference Champs.

The Pens luck swings like a pendulum and always has. They're lucky enough to get Michel Briere, then he gets killed in a car accident. They get Mario, win two Cups, then the franchise files for bankruptcy. They're bad for awhile, but they get Fleury, Malkin, Crosby and Staal because of it. The team almost moves out of Pittsburgh, but they stay and win another Cup a couple years later.

I kind of understand it, but why do people want the Pens to get knocked out of the playoffs? I mean, I wouldn't exactly be heartbroken if they lost before making it to the Finals either, but nothing would make me happier than to see the Wings beat their ass and take back the Cup. That can't happen unless they get to the Finals. Nothing would say "We're better than you, now go away" better than winning the Cup in the final game at Mellon Arena.

Guest Crymson

The Pens luck swings like a pendulum and always has. They're lucky enough to get Michel Briere, then he gets killed in a car accident. They get Mario, win two Cups, then the franchise files for bankruptcy. They're bad for awhile, but they get Fleury, Malkin, Crosby and Staal because of it. The team almost moves out of Pittsburgh, but they stay and win another Cup a couple years later.

I kind of understand it, but why do people want the Pens to get knocked out of the playoffs? I mean, I wouldn't exactly be heartbroken if they lost before making it to the Finals either, but nothing would make me happier than to see the Wings beat their ass and take back the Cup. That can't happen unless they get to the Finals. Nothing would say "We're better than you, now go away" better than winning the Cup in the final game at Mellon Arena.

They're currently good because Bettman decided to give the 1st overall pick from both 2004 and 2005 to the Penguins rather than holding a lottery for the 2005 first-overall pick. He effectively created that hockey market, and he has been favoring and nurturing it ever since. More, he has been doing it in a pointedly obvious manner.

Nothing would say "We're better than you, now go away" better than winning the Cup in the final game at Mellon Arena.

IMO, the Pens have never ever been better than the Wings. Ever. The Wings were definitely the better team last year. They just didn't have better luck.

EDIT: Simply put, The Wings have nothing to prove to the Pens anymore.

Edited by titanium2

They're currently good because Bettman decided to give the 1st overall pick from both 2004 and 2005 to the Penguins rather than holding a lottery for the 2005 first-overall pick. He effectively created that hockey market, and he has been favoring and nurturing it ever since. More, he has been doing it in a pointedly obvious manner.

They traded up for the 1st overall in 2003 and got the 2nd overall pick in 2004. Otherwise, they would have Ovechkin. They won the draft lottery in 2005 to get Crosby. Whether or not the fix was in, I don't think so. Bettman has however made it clear that he wants Crosby and the Penguins to be the face of the NHL with all of the nationally televised games, commercials, etc.

IMO, the Pens have never ever been better than the Wings. Ever. The Wings were definitely the better team last year. They just didn't have better luck.

EDIT: Simply put, The Wings have nothing to prove to the Pens anymore.

I agree, but it doesn't hurt to reinforce that point with another Cup win over them.

Remember when the Ducks took care of the Sharks and the Stars took care of the Ducks?

We handled Dallas pretty easily, it happens.

Edited by Yak19