• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

Sign in to follow this  
Guest mindfly

Staal out "indefinitely" after Tendon surgery

Rate this topic

Guest mindfly

http://www.tsn.ca/nhl/story/?id=320139

If the Pittsburgh Penguins are to repeat as Stanley Cup champions, they will have to do it without Jordan Staal.

Staal underwent surgery Friday night to repair a severed tendon in his ankle and will be out for the remainder of the playoffs. It is the same injury that caused Andrei Markov to miss 35 games at the beginning of the season.

The Thunder Bay, Ontario native had two goals and two assists in seven games for the Penguins in this year's playoffs.

Staal had never missed an NHL game due to injury to this point in his career, having played 358 consecutive games.

Hmmmm

It's part of the playoffs and their lucky it's not Malkin, Crosby or Fleury. We didn't have Dats for most of the playoffs last year and still managed to go to game 7 and he's our best all around player aside from Lids who also had damaged testes for most of playoffs last year including final.

Aside from this they have a super easy road to cup with the Easy Eastern conference and no five hour flights and three hour time differences, plus lots of rest in between series.

Guest DatsyukianDeke13

This pretty much guarentees the cup winner is coming from the west.

According to the article, Staal could possibly be back if the Penguins make the Conference Finals, which is a little bit less of a sure thing without him in the lineup.

But, as the article also said, Markov missed 35 games with the same injury, so we'll see...

Habs better take advantage of every powerplay chance they get, Staal is by far their best penalty killer.

TSNBobMcKenzie reporting he had surgery to repair foot tendon that runs to toe, but could be back next round if not sooner.

As I see it, Pens still have a decent shot of getting through the east as long as guys step up and don't do anything stupid. We would probably need him back if we got to the finals and I am doubtful we would repeat without him, though. It would make it significantly harder, anyway.

He's a good kid, built like a big moose. Pretty amazing that he hadn't missed a single game since his rookie year (06-07). Even then he only sat out a game because he was sick.

Edited by Free_Candy

While I don't wish injuries on any specific person, it's nice to see the Penguins finally getting injuries like everyone else in the playoffs. They've been unnaturally healthy in the playoffs the past couple of years.

Wont change the fact that the East is disgustingly easy at this point. The three teams who had the best chance at knocking out the Penguins have been knocked out, and all that remains are the three teams who had the worst chance at beating the pens.

As I see it, the Staal injury changes nothing. The pens will make it easily to the finals, but with or without Staal, will lose to whichever team they play from the West. I hope its Wings!

Guest DatsyukianDeke13

UPDATE:

TSN reports that Jordan Staal could be back soon. He is day to day right now

Oh boy... Guess we got a little too excited here huh?

EDIT: Or maybe they're just saying he's day to day like how Dave Tippet said Doan was "day to day" even though he was pretty much out for the remainder of the playoffs.

Edited by titanium2

I always liked Staal. I always wanted to see him in a Wings jersey. I feel bad for him.

Its funny that you say that because I had a dream that we traded Franzen for Jordan Staal. I even remember talking about it on this board and how their were people for it and against it. Yeah, I know I dream about this board. How lame am I? lol

Its funny that you say that because I had a dream that we traded Franzen for Jordan Staal. I even remember talking about it on this board and how their were people for it and against it. Yeah, I know I dream about this board. How lame am I? lol

Staal is a big guy and he uses his size a little more than Franzen does to throw hits around but not enough for me to sign on that trade. Franzen's ability to score goals is a hell of a lot better. Even if he's in somewhat of a goal-scoring slump right now.

Tough break for Staal and the Pens. Maybe they'll finally use Crosby on the penalty kill. I've never understood why Pittsburgh doesn't give Crosby and Malkin a regular shift when they're down a man!?

Do you remember if I was for it or against it!? :lol:

That's actually an interesting trade when I think about it! Even though you dreamed about the board, the players were solid, so it's only half lame! :P jk!

Edited by Barrie

they actually just said on TSN depending on how fast he heals he could be back for the next series if the Pens move on, but now they are saying he won't be out for the rest of the playoffs, i like Staal but its nice to see the Pens get a set back like the Wings did all season.

Pittsburgh won't have any trouble with out him. I'm still predicting a sweep, or at the very most the Pen's taking the series in 5. Meanwhile, Boston and Philly will be at war with each other, and will go 7 games. Same thing with Van/Chi. San Jose and Detroit will wear each other down, but it won't be a war like Bos/Phi and Van/Chi. The Pen's literally, couldn't ask for an easier path.

My dream is that we have a final four of Detroit, Chicago, Boston, and Montreal. Original 6 represent!