• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

Sign in to follow this  
TheDetroitRedWings

Hudler's return

Rate this topic

166 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

I said trade him, then I puked, but thinking it over he can move into Maltby's place, Abby can take Williams spot, re-sign Eaves/Miller then maybe try to land someone worth about $4 million.... of course this hangs on Lidstrom, whether he retires or decides to come back at a significant discount... Of course if Homer wants to play, sign him up as well... You gotta ley LIlja, Lebda & Meech walk. Not unless Lilja wants to come back at a cheaper rate and then bring Kindl up for the 7th. I am unsure who doesn't have any GRR time left, and who can be sent back down without clearing waivers. If Hudler comes back and contribute 25 or more goals that would help a lot! Unsure on Bertuzzi though, he may ask for about $3 million...

Actually, more money to have a chance to do an even better job since he's considered to be a better player over there. Everyone on this board would have done the same thing.

Not I. Playing for perhaps the best franchise in sports, at the highest level of the game, would mean more to me than a few extra million. It's not like he had to worry about his electricity being shut off or making his mortgage. Being just a little smart while making $2.5 mil+ for ~6-10 years, and you're pretty much set for life.

Of course, I've never had a ton of money, so the trappings of luxury, million dollar homes, tons of exotic cars, high-priced hookers :ninja: , etc., don't mean that much to me. Decent house & car, bills paid on time, quality education for my kids, new socks every day. All I want, and wouldn't cost more than a couple hundred grand a year. Invest everything else, and in 10 years I could live happily ever after just off the investment income and still leave my kids a $20 million estate.

Also, I remember reading somewhere that his KHL salary was €2 million, which, when you factor the taxes, is roughly the equivalent of $5 mil NHL salary. May or may not be true. Doesn't change my point either way.

In any case, I don't have any bad feelings about him leaving other than (assuming it wasn't a cap circumvention plan...) not letting the team know earlier so we could have done more in free agency.

Guest REDWINGSFTW

Get huds, lidstrom takes a price cut and lock up paul kariya, or if hes not available raffi torres

Edited by REDWINGSFTW

Why wouldn't he fit on the team? Williams is definitely not staying. I think it's obvious that only one of Bertuzzi and Holmstrom is staying. Or if we can sign Holmstrom cheap he can play in the 3rd and 4th line and then on the PP. Franzen has to be more physical though, and I think he can do it if there isn't an another injury like that.

Zetterberg-Datsyuk-Holmstrom

Hudler-Filppula-Franzen (kinda like Hossa-Filppula-Franzen)

Cleary-Abdelkader-Eaves

Miller-Helm-"tough guy"

+ Draper, Ritola

Who says that Homer and Bertuzzi won't both be back?

Bertuzzi has had a good season here all things considered. Good playoff so far as well. Homer has had a good regular season also.

Guest REDWINGSFTW

Bertuzzi has had a good season here all things considered. Good playoff so far as well. Homer has had a good regular season also.

Let tuzzi go and get raffi torres.

Not I. Playing for perhaps the best franchise in sports, at the highest level of the game, would mean more to me than a few extra million. It's not like he had to worry about his electricity being shut off or making his mortgage. Being just a little smart while making $2.5 mil+ for ~6-10 years, and you're pretty much set for life.

Of course, I've never had a ton of money, so the trappings of luxury, million dollar homes, tons of exotic cars, high-priced hookers :ninja: , etc., don't mean that much to me. Decent house & car, bills paid on time, quality education for my kids, new socks every day. All I want, and wouldn't cost more than a couple hundred grand a year. Invest everything else, and in 10 years I could live happily ever after just off the investment income and still leave my kids a $20 million estate.

Also, I remember reading somewhere that his KHL salary was €2 million, which, when you factor the taxes, is roughly the equivalent of $5 mil NHL salary. May or may not be true. Doesn't change my point either way.

In any case, I don't have any bad feelings about him leaving other than (assuming it wasn't a cap circumvention plan...) not letting the team know earlier so we could have done more in free agency.

Nice post, and I agree with most of it except a few alternate takes:

would you be tempted, working in a foreign continent for say... Porsche, to move back closer to your home, for almost 4 times the money, for say... the Cadillac division?

Would welcome him back. Did great in limited time here.

Didn't get offended or whatever when he left. He had an opportunity to make more money elsewhere to try to further his career, and took the opportunity. Sometimes it doesn't work out and it looked like it didn't for him. Kudos to him for taking a chance though.

I hadn't thought of that, but that could very much be the case.. The Red Wings locker room seems to hold no ill though, and I'm sure he will feel comfortable reasonably quickly. What players would hold it against him?

I don't think there would be anyone specifically that would really have a problem with him, but its still always in the back of everyones head.

It would probably be something that would just be awkward at first, then just die through when the season starts. The wings are all business so I don't think they would let something like this get in the way too much.

I don't think hudler will be the same player when he comes back. It would be pretty awkward to bail out on your team and then just come back and act like everything is ok.

I still think he is going to put up some good numbers though, maybe about 40 points.

So you think that playing a year in the KHL will cause Hudler to regress two years in development rather than improve in ability? That is a ridiculous statement.

Even if Hudler stayed at exactly the level he was when he last played for Detroit, he will be more productive than 57 points because he was improving considerably as the 08-09 season went on. In a ten game stretch from Jan 31st to Feb 18th Hudler posted 3g-7a-10pt. That's a point per game, which projects to 25-57-82 over the 82 games Hudler played. In the eight games before that, Hudler scored 2-5-7, projecting to 21-51-72 over 82 games. Over that entire 18 game span, it's 5-12-17, projecting to 23-55-78 in 82 games. Hudler had 12 multiple-point games in 08-09 while playing fewer than 15 minutes (including once scoring 3 points in only 8:34 played). Datsyuk had 30 multiple point games, and Zetterberg had 17, but Dats didn't play less than 15 minutes in any game and Z played less only in the game he was injured, in which he only scored 1 point.

This idea that Hudler will be some weak third-line/fourth-line Jason Williams-type offensive force just because he played a year in Russia is ridiculous. How was Helm in 2009 compared to the 2008 playoffs, and then in 2009, and how about now? Howard? Those two are greatly improved over that span, yet spent much of it in the AHL. If playing in a lesser league makes you weaker, how come they improved? How come Howard got so much better than the first time we saw him out of college? How about Osgood during his conditioning stint last season? Shouldn't that have ruined his career by your logic, and made him Conklin's clear-cut backup?

Playing in lesser leagues doesn't make you weaker if it gives you the opportunity to work on areas of your game where you could use improvement. Hudler's strengths are offensive IQ, and his shooting, passing, playmaking and stickhandling skills. The things he could use improvement on to become more of the "prototypical" Wings forward (i.e. Sergei Fedorov/Steve Yzerman) would be to improve his footspeed and to improve his defense, although both are above average.

So you think that playing a year in the KHL will cause Hudler to regress two years in development rather than improve in ability? That is a ridiculous statement.

Even if Hudler stayed at exactly the level he was when he last played for Detroit, he will be more productive than 57 points because he was improving considerably as the 08-09 season went on. In a ten game stretch from Jan 31st to Feb 18th Hudler posted 3g-7a-10pt. That's a point per game, which projects to 25-57-82 over the 82 games Hudler played. In the eight games before that, Hudler scored 2-5-7, projecting to 21-51-72 over 82 games. Over that entire 18 game span, it's 5-12-17, projecting to 23-55-78 in 82 games. Hudler had 12 multiple-point games in 08-09 while playing fewer than 15 minutes (including once scoring 3 points in only 8:34 played). Datsyuk had 30 multiple point games, and Zetterberg had 17, but Dats didn't play less than 15 minutes in any game and Z played less only in the game he was injured, in which he only scored 1 point.

This idea that Hudler will be some weak third-line/fourth-line Jason Williams-type offensive force just because he played a year in Russia is ridiculous. How was Helm in 2009 compared to the 2008 playoffs, and then in 2009, and how about now? Howard? Those two are greatly improved over that span, yet spent much of it in the AHL. If playing in a lesser league makes you weaker, how come they improved? How come Howard got so much better than the first time we saw him out of college? How about Osgood during his conditioning stint last season? Shouldn't that have ruined his career by your logic, and made him Conklin's clear-cut backup?

Playing in lesser leagues doesn't make you weaker if it gives you the opportunity to work on areas of your game where you could use improvement. Hudler's strengths are offensive IQ, and his shooting, passing, playmaking and stickhandling skills. The things he could use improvement on to become more of the "prototypical" Wings forward (i.e. Sergei Fedorov/Steve Yzerman) would be to improve his footspeed and to improve his defense, although both are above average.

I never said he had become a worse hockey player by playing in a lesser league. I just don't think he will be in as much of a comfortable situation as he was before he left.

I don't think it is rediculous to think that.

Huds IS a good offensive center. Just FYI.

Regardless, I don't think the line would work very well without another good offensive threat.

What Hudler does best is find open seams in the defense, either in transistion or in a set offense.

Cleary, despite his speed, is not very good in transition. He doesn't see/use his linemates well enough. He's also more of a grinder type, mucking in the crease and corners as opposed to working the cycle. The same could be said of Helm, Abs, Miller, and Eaves. Nor are any of them particularly good finishers, to take advantage of Hudler's passing ability. If Happy had to be the focal point of the set offense, and work mostly by himself in transition, I don't think he would be nearly as productive as he was with Flip and Sammy; two players with a style more compatible with his own.

He scored half his points on the PP anyway, so maybe it wouldn't matter. But I can't see him putting up 57 points in that role again. I don't think we have, or can get, the right personnel to be 3 deep in scoring lines again. I would rather see two good scoring lines than 3 mediocre ones. Hudler, as a cost-effective 2nd tier top-6 winger isn't particularly bad, but I think it's worth the effort to at least try to do something better.

Ken Holland. He already signed Hudler for top6 cap hit. I think it's pretty sure Hudler also plays in the top6.