• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

Sign in to follow this  
MacK_Attack

NHL adding new award

Rate this topic

According to Pierre LeBrun on HNIC Hotstove, the NHL is creating a new award for general manager of the year.

The early rumours were that it was to be called the Sam Pollock Award, but that apparently is not a sure thing. The NHL is holding off on naming the trophy for now.

Like the concept. Too bad it will be just like the Jack Adams and go to whatever team had the biggest turnover from last season.

If the Jack Adams has taught me anything it is that post-lockout sustained success is less impressive than turning a loser into a successful team...

Same thing will happen with this award.

It should be called the "Brian Burke Award"

A better idea is to have a "Bob Probert Award" for best fighter in the NHL every year. :thumbup:

O.K., who's the Probert hater here? :angry: Show some love for the guys willing to do the dirty work for the pretty boy star players. They deserve their own award too.

Edited by GMRwings1983

So is this award going to be like the coach of the year award as in "Who can do the most with less?"

I would think it'd be the exact opposite, especially in the salary cap NHL. I'd see it as "Which GM has provided his team with the most while following the constraints of the cap?". The coach has to work with what he's given, the GM has to do his best to give to the coach. So if that's the case, it should go to the teams who have the best collection of talent i.e. Wings, Hawks, Pens, Caps, Sharks etc.

That's what I got from it, perhaps I'm way off base though.

I'm up for the Ken Holland award, and the Bob Probert award (wish I could give you a +2, but I have my limitations). Anyone who wins both in one lifetime gets automatic entry into the HHOF.

A better idea is to have a "Bob Probert Award" for best fighter in the NHL every year. :thumbup:

O.K., who's the Probert hater here? :angry: Show some love for the guys willing to do the dirty work for the pretty boy star players. They deserve their own award too.

I really like that idea. The idea in itself is good. But the way the NHL will handle it will suck. They'll probably give it to a spot picker like Lucic because it will sell the game.

Like the concept. Too bad it will be just like the Jack Adams and go to whatever team had the biggest turnover from last season.

If the Jack Adams has taught me anything it is that post-lockout sustained success is less impressive than turning a loser into a successful team...

Same thing will happen with this award.

This was the first thing I thought of too.

Often times moves a GM makes won't have a big impact for a few years. Its going to be a "who made the best trades/signing" award, and a GM does a lot more than that. In my opinion they should only give out this award every three or five years.

I would think it'd be the exact opposite, especially in the salary cap NHL. I'd see it as "Which GM has provided his team with the most while following the constraints of the cap?". The coach has to work with what he's given, the GM has to do his best to give to the coach. So if that's the case, it should go to the teams who have the best collection of talent i.e. Wings, Hawks, Pens, Caps, Sharks etc.

That's what I got from it, perhaps I'm way off base though.

Isn't that just the Stanley Cup? (generally)

It's most likely just going to go to whatever GM made the most moves that make the club trend upwards. If 2 clubs go from 20 wins to 40 wins, whichever did more personnel movement would probably get the award.

This award should be called the NHL Belly Flop Award, why you may ask.

Well my silly friend because every year this award will go to the GM who signs the biggest name, in other words makes the biggest splash.

Holland wins for signing Hossa.

Devils GM for getting Kovy

Whomever signs Kovy this offseason.

Whomever signs the big agent after that.

My problem with all of the coach and GM and other non player awards is this, you only win the award if your players play great.

Dave Tippett, how many coach of the year votes does he get if the Yotes walk into the post season as a 7 or 8 seed.

Does Bab get votes this year, doubt it, seriously doubt it. Now what Tippett and Crew have done in PHO is awesome, but how many tough roster decisions did he make this year. Did he move Doan around, did he make a goalie change mid way through the season, did he change defensive strategies, did he deal with a mass amount of injuries.

NO, he just did a lot better than last year, with a much more motivated team, now there is a gm that deserves and award right there, he brings in a smart and disciplined coach, makes some great moves at the deadline. All while waiting to see where the team will be next season and who will own them.

Opie's new idea for the NHL, give awards to players only, too many awards is over the top.

It should be called the "Brian Burke Award"

Bad idea to award something that doesn't matter once the point are dealt and the goals are scored. The goals are what counts and they also count assists. In theory there doesn't even have to be one fight in the whole year but the games can still be judged. In playoffs the game doesn't end until someone scores.

So basically fighting like many other things goes in the "style" category. It's not necessary, but it may help in some situations. Mind as well award the fastest skater as well.

Bad idea to award something that doesn't matter once the point are dealt and the goals are scored. The goals are what counts and they also count assists. In theory there doesn't even have to be one fight in the whole year but the games can still be judged. In playoffs the game doesn't end until someone scores.

So basically fighting like many other things goes in the "style" category. It's not necessary, but it may help in some situations. Mind as well award the fastest skater as well.

Stats are overrated.

As long as fighting is allowed in hockey, I don't see anything wrong with giving out such an award.

Fastest skater is more of a skill set. I was talking about best fighter of the year award. How do you judge a fastest skater of the year award?

Stats are overrated.

As long as fighting is allowed in hockey, I don't see anything wrong with giving out such an award.

Fastest skater is more of a skill set. I was talking about best fighter of the year award. How do you judge a fastest skater of the year award?

I think best fighter is pretty hard to judge as well. Stats are what you can measure. You can't really measure someone's skill, toughness etc.