• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

Hockeytown0001

WCSF Game 2 GDT: Red Wings 3 at Sharks 4

Rate this topic

Who's calling conspiracy here?

It was just a bad night for officiating, I don't care what team you go for. Yes there were some obvious calls on the wings, but there were also "ticky-tack" calls that should have been let go. This is hockey not Basketball.

Let the players play.

You know you'd be saying the same thing.

If the sharks were the Pens...then maybe we'd need a few tinfoil hats in here :hehe:

Hey I am in complete agreement, the officiating sucked and the calls were worse then ticky-tacky. I object to the "Shark, s are the biggest bunch of divers", "the Refs won the game for them", "the league doesn't want us to win, the refs are in their pockets" crap. It is BS.

Totally agree. Let the playoffs be the playoffs.

:thumbup:

Looking at it from a sharks perspecitve for a moment, I gotta say, the Heatley and Marleu penalties were terrible terrible calls. The Heatley one in particular. It really is mind boggling how a call like that can be made in a professional sporting league.

Hey I am in complete agreement, the officiating sucked and the calls were worse then ticky-tacky. I object to the "Shark, s are the biggest bunch of divers", "the Refs won the game for them", "the league doesn't want us to win, the refs are in their pockets" crap. It is BS.

Ok thats better, To be fair I havn't read every response in this thread. I don't think anyone really thinks the league is working against the wings. It's pretty laughable actually.

The thing that does it for me is even Nick Lidstrom refused to comment on the officiating. You can always count on him to give an appropriate politically correct response. Why all of a sudden does he refuse to comment on the refs this past game?

The thing that does it for me is even Nick Lidstrom refused to comment on the officiating. You can always count on him to give an appropriate politically correct response. Why all of a sudden does he refuse to comment on the refs this past game?

There's not much he can say really. It's not gonna change. Officials have terrible games and this was one of them. Nothing he can say can change what happened. I'm sure he's more foccused on playing a good game three.

After Game 1, Mike Babcock chides fellow Western Canadian Devin Setoguchi for embellishing an obvious slashing call. Now, even though Babcock's target was Setoguchi only, referees hate to hear that kind of stuff. It makes it look like they were duped and they tend to take deep offense.

http://apps.detnews.com/apps/blogs/wingsblog/index.php?blogid=3465

So the refs get criticized publicly for a mistake they made and so they get to take offense and make even MORE bogus calls in the next game?

Anyone that's experienced at making youtube videos want to put a montage together of all the dives the sharks have taken in this series so far?

Rather than just a compilation of things that only appear to be in favor of a certain position, I would VERY much like to see a montage of footage behind each and every call that was made (or not made) on BOTH teams, including any footage that any fan from either teams felt should be included.

It would make for a very interesting discussion, I think.

Guest Howard He Do It?!

I can't wait for Game 3 when the Wings get to spend half of the 3rd period on the PP. Oh wait...THAT WILL NEVER ******* HAPPEN!!! NHL officiating is the biggest joke in sports and it makes games unwatchable. You know it's only going to get worse with the older refs starting to retire. Those "rule changes" can go f*** themselves. I'd rather watch guys hook and hold each other like crazy than watch a bunch of pansies get away with dives and phantom penalties be called. Whatever. It's not like Bettman gives a s*** about the integrity of the sport. Let's find a way to keep a s*** team in a city that doesn't care and pretend the NHL has the best officials in the world. That's going to be great for the NHL in the long run.

Prediction: Wings take 3 and 4 to even the series.

Rather than just a compilation of things that only appear to be in favor of a certain position, I would VERY much like to see a montage of footage behind each and every call that was made (or not made) on BOTH teams, including any footage that any fan from either teams felt should be included.

It would make for a very interesting discussion, I think.

It would also make for a freaking long video :P

Guest mindfly

These are the games that makes you lose all hope on the nhl, words can't describe...............

Season is over :ranting:

Edited by mindfly

obviously coming late to the party -- just got home from work.

i listened on the radio and read the boxscore -- so it's obviously not the same at watching it. but here's some thoughts.

- obviously, the calls. having not SEEN them, i can't make a judgment, but 10-4 seems a little ridiculous, especially in the third period. yikes.

- a sub point of that, though, is that we actually had a marginally better PP% than the sharks (1/4= 20% vs. 2/10 = 20%), and that's including the fact that they had a five on three advantage. we won the special teams battle on a percentage scale -- they got two goals because they had more than 2x the amount of powerplays and a 5-on-3.

- howie had a petter save percentage than nabby (.911 vs .903). one goal was a 5-on-3 and one was that fluke 3-1 because of lids' broken stick. again, didn't SEE the game, but form a stats perspective (and hearing the PxP) it seems hard to say that howie is at fault here.

- FACEOFFS. FACEOFFS. FACEOFFS. we had a 37.7% faceoff efficiency. hank was 4-10; flip 2-6; abby 1-4. that's a combined 7-20, or 26%. helm was our only regular with more wins than losses. this is, to me, is the key stat of the game. you can't blame the refs. you can't blame the sticks. you can't blame the goalies (either howie for being bad or nabby for being great). pavalski and malholtra DESTROYED us in the faceoff circle, going a combined 24-8, or 75 percent. pavie was over 80 percent on his own. i'd be interested in a breakdown of faceoff percentage on the PP/PK as well, but i'm too lazy to do it myself.

i think we can get two at home. better calls, better breaks (or NONbreaks, eg, lids' stick resulting in a 3 on 1) i'd say goaltending ON PAR would even be enough (still outplaying nabby IMO, (.882 vs .888 save percentages through two games, with howie giving up two 5 on 3s and nabby having not faced one), and GET BETTER IN THE FACEOFF CIRCLE!

GET BETTER IN THE FACEOFF CIRCLE!

This is a must.

What happened to their ability to win draws? They are awful after so many years of strong performaces in the faceoff circle.

Has to get better if we are to win game 3 and the rest of this series.

I understand that the reffing was horrible, albeit a lot of the penalties were legit. Bertuzzi's Goalie interference - shouldn't have been called - Heatley Goalie Interference - shouldn't have been called...

The big one though for me even though it was killed off 40 second into the game you give the goalie a slashing penalty...wow want the home team to get a better start then they already had in the first 40 seconds of play...not to mention thornton bumped him before it happened and that slash is thrown about 40 times a game

One other thing that really frustrates me is that holmstrom can get cross-checked and hacked non stop infront of their net with no calls(because of who he is) but any little thing by detroits net is not allowed.

I think it was datsyuk who cross checked a player down by our net - penalty...a bit of a double standard

Then stuarts penalty by our net, is it just me or did it look like the shark dove into the net?

Either way with a 10-4 powerplay advantage the final score wasn't all that bad - unluck break/bounce on the winning goal...

Remember this is nightfall, a guy who throws out the word bandwagon fan when someone says something he doesn't like.

Thats incorrect.

I throw out the "bandwagon fan" to those who bail on the team for no reason other than they are facing adversity. There are a lot of people here saying "season is over" and other crap like that. A true fan doesn't give up on their team.

If you can't grasp that concept, then I don't know what to say.

If they're not, this series is over.

Prime example of a bandwagon fan

Easy to throw the towel in. They will be rooting for the Sharks next week.

Guest mindfly

Thats incorrect.

I throw out the "bandwagon fan" to those who bail on the team for no reason other than they are facing adversity. There are a lot of people here saying "season is over" and other crap like that. A true fan doesn't give up on their team.

It's not very realistic to win a series after going down 2-0 in the post-lockout era

i think a lot of the frustration coming from the TEAM's fans has less to do with "bandwagonism", and more to do with feeling disenchanted with the league itself.

i can admit that the TEAM made mistakes last night. the officiating alone is not to blame. faceoffs lost, frustrations surfaced, and the long and short is, the TEAM that i love wound up losing. that is fact.

last night, i was not only embarassed for my TEAM, i was embarassed for the league. honestly, i've seen better officiating in the KHL. that, also, is fact.

i still and always will support my red wings, but i think last night was a black eye for the league in which they play.

now, am i a bandwagoner?

Thats incorrect.

This is nonsense.

There is a fairly literal definition of the term "bandwagon." You would do well to read up on the concept of "bandwagon effect" so as to understand why you should stop using the term in a manner that makes no sense.

Based on your working definition, your grievance with "bandwagon fans" revolves around an issue of faith more so than an actual case of "bandwagon effect" in action. There is a difference between one who is pessimistic and one who is optimistic for certain, but in this case, such states do not necessarily minimize how much of a fan one may be. It has more to do with how specific people's personalities deal with any given situation. Thinking or imagining the worst absolutely does not automatically insinuate that you do not care endlessly about something.

You would do well to stop deriding people who care enough about the Red Wings to seek out a message board, make an account, and then post on a forum, perhaps thousands of times. They may not be the same type of fan you are, but they are most certainly fans. You may not process things the same way or agree with them, but it is naive to make sweeping comments to suggest that there are many people here that do not care endlessly about this team. It is entirely unnecessary and presumptuous.

This is nonsense.

There is a fairly literal definition of the term "bandwagon."

Yes, and if you go back and substitute the word "fair weather" everywhere bandwagon appears, it might make more sense, in light of the context in which the word was (mis?)used.