• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

Hockeytown0001

WCSF Game 2 GDT: Red Wings 3 at Sharks 4

Rate this topic

Guest mindfly

Penguins did it last year.

Can't even remember, I've sort of repressed that whole series... Atleast in that playoffs they had Osgood who was alot better than Howard is now, and they lost basically because of injuries and no gas in the tank, this team however.. one can't even explain why they play like they do...just short short glimses of brilliance here and there other than that they play very mediocre and it will NOT go to the finals again.

Edited by mindfly

I don't like to watch playoff games that close because its to stressful but I turn it on for a minute every 5 minutes or so to check. The last two games all I heard when putting the game on was "Penalty up coming to Detroit" I swear every time I turned it on. I havent looked up the number of power plays for both teams but it can't even be close. I hope Kronwall smashes Setaguci I dont even care how to spell his name. He looks like a fish out of water flopping around.

Can't even remember, I've sort of repressed that whole series... Atleast in that playoffs they had Osgood who was alot better than Howard is now, and they lost basically because of injuries and no gas in the tank, this team however.. one can't even explain why they play like they do...just short short glimses of brilliance here and there other than that they play very mediocre and it will NOT go to the finals again.

You can't compare Osgood of last year to Howard this year. For starters... we won faceoffs last year. And that's just the tip of the iceberg. Our penalty killing didn't suck. We didn't take stupid penalties as often, etc, etc.

Osgood would be in mental rehab if he had to backstop this team.

Dude, give it a break, the calls have been bad all the way around, the game however was won by the Sharks playing a better game then the Wings. Give credit where it is due, please!

Just saw this, Rat, because I left the board after I realized I was losing it. Whether you can admit it or not, the Wings had an inordinate, unsustainable-by-anybody-in-their-right-minds number of bad calls, while the Sharks had trips, hits in the head, and interference penalties that were not called. And they dove to keep them coming. Anybody other than a Sharks' fan would agree. The extent and proof of the refs' idiocy was obvious with the also-horrific makeup calls against Marleau for boarding and Heatley for goalie interference.

The saddest and most maddening part of all of that is we'll never know what would/could have happened if the refs hadn't taken over that game. Yeupp, the Wings played badly at times but I will ask even our own fans here who've criticized their play - can you tell me without question that none of that was the result of the accumulation of the refs' calls?

Just once. Just once during this series, I'd like to see a Wings' game where it is NOT about the ******* refs.

impossible to win a game when the refs are this biased...listening to paul woods right now just blast the officials. i hope babs takes a fine and goes off during his post-game

Who's Paul Woods? Thanks. And if anybody has read/heard reports from sports-types about this game could you put 'em on here? (That is if you haven't already) Thanks. I'm wondering if Versus had the balls to really talk about it. I didn't even save the game, let alone listen afterwards. :ph34r:

It's official, Gary Bettman just lost a fan! After 31 years of watching the NHL, I am officially done with it. I amn sure I am not the only one that feels this way, everyone should bombard his office with emails. Not often do I get this disgusted with the NHL, but the camels back is broken, the fat lady is singing. I don't even care about anything NHL anymore. Nice chatting with you guys/gals, sorry I rubbed some people the wrong way, but hey, it was entertaining. f*** GARY BETTMAN...

:blink: ...Ummm...I think NOT. :puke:

Does anyone have the replay of Howard's slashing call? A friend of mine refuses to believe how badly this game was officiated and I wanted to use this as an example.

P.S. I though the Sharks played very well and out-muscled us for most loose pucks. But the soft calls at the beginning didn't help in the least.

Guest mindfly

Does anyone have the replay of Howard's slashing call? A friend of mine refuses to believe how badly this game was officiated and I wanted to use this as an example.

P.S. I though the Sharks played very well and out-muscled us for most loose pucks. But the soft calls at the beginning didn't help in the least.

They showed it very clearly on the TSN feed check nhl.com or something, the best with TSN is that they actually show every penalty and also dicuss it while on the american networks like versus and nbc they just say it was a penalty go to commercial break and then play sort of..

Edited by mindfly

Quoted for Truth

In the 3rd period, I saw only 2 bulls*** calls. One was on Bert for the trip (or hold), and the other was on Heatley for the goalie interference call which was a joke.

You have a 4-3 lead, and you tank it in the 3rd? Blame the refs! Thats a great excuse.

If anything the LGW forum is already spinning this to be a referee excuse if the Sharks win the series. Just like when the Wings lost the final two games last playoffs to the Pens by identical scores of 2-1. Ignore the fact that the Wings only scored one goal per game. Ignore the fact that the pens played more desperate. Its the refs fault. What a bullcrap excuse.

Here is an idea Red Wings.....play your game. So far, two games down, and I haven't seen the level of intensity that they brought to game 7 in Phoenix. Where is that game? Did they forget to play it? Oh, thats right, its the refs fault they aren't bringing that level of a game?

How succinctly put. How glib. All that's missing is the three-cornered finger snap. But your simplistic solution/suggestion is not and cannot be the whole answer. Twenty minutes of penalty kill, MOST OF IT NOT EARNED, can kinda slow down and/or intimidate a team. That's only logical. Sure they played badly at times. But for anyone to totally dismiss the refs' effect on their play, well, it cannot and should not taken seriously.

Like the MOD said up thread, if you want to act like a whiny *****, close your account and head over to facebook (Don't come the Sharks board, you will get roasted alive). If you want to watch hockey, then man up and stop acting like a tool.

f'ing pathetic

Backatchya, Rat. :thumbup:

Guest scottj

kinda hard to play with game 7s intensity when you're getting called for s*** that never happened every 2 minutes

also... people have said it before and I'll say it again. I mean I know Bert has a bad rep n everything but holy s*** NHL refs hate him lol

Rather than just a compilation of things that only appear to be in favor of a certain position, I would VERY much like to see a montage of footage behind each and every call that was made (or not made) on BOTH teams, including any footage that any fan from either teams felt should be included.

It would make for a very interesting discussion, I think.

You know, in all honesty you are one of the only fans of another team I can completely respect. You're completely rational and it's nice to see that.

Are you suuuure you don't want to become a Wings fan instead? Haha

But to reply to your post, yes I think that would be great for someone to make a montage of both teams and the noncalls and the terrible calls and the diving(which even Howard tried to dive and that has me all kinds of disappointed in him) so let's find someone with video making skills.

ON TO GAME THREE!

Your a ref eh? Well I guess this settles it, the Refs out skated, out hit and out scored the Wings.

Now you're just becoming a smartass and cannot be taken seriously on any level. Why are you still here?

So the refs destroyed Lidstrom's stick too?

I'm thinking you might want to go in on team sweatshirts with Rat as far as the Smart Ass thing? Just suggesting...

12:48, my local time. Just now logging on to my home away (well inside, on my pc)from home. Figured it would be best to not post angry, especially last night. I'm glad I waited to show up here.

My faith in LGW is well founded. I am more retarded than many of you. I am less retarded than many of you also. Thanks again, LGW, for helping me realize I have about "average" retardation.

note: my anger has turned into some sort of manic passive-aggressive depression. as long as i try not to htink about last night, my brain doesn't hurt. lol.

Edited by HOCKEY MATTERS

Problem is we are never going to be able to afford to resign Marleau if Pavs keeps playing like this. I want to see one of those time elapsed dollar counters above his head every time he hits the ice. Don't want to be a homer on your board, but Clowe and Seto deserve a lot of credit too, both are playing way above their previous levels.

:hysterical:

I have never been so outraged at the incompetency of NHL officiating, and I've seen some doozies. Bertuzzi was absolutely prison-sexed by the officials....I can't even think straight. It's one thing if we had just lost the game, but a game we were winning was basically awarded to the Sharks. It'd be another thing if they were getting called for terrible penalties that actually gave us a PP or 5 on 3.

I can't blame the Wings for a loss last night. I just can't. It's impossible to get any momentum or chemistry going when you're constantly killing off some bulls*** penalty.

If this game had been against the Penguins, I'd be convinced that it was rigged. As it is, at the least it's pure incompetency.

The Wings are going to take this series (assuming the rest of the series isn't rigged) just because I can't imagine how angry and frustrated they must be. I can only hope that this injustice lights a fire under the Wings to destroy any and all that faces them.

i think a lot of the frustration coming from the TEAM's fans has less to do with "bandwagonism", and more to do with feeling disenchanted with the league itself.

i can admit that the TEAM made mistakes last night. the officiating alone is not to blame. faceoffs lost, frustrations surfaced, and the long and short is, the TEAM that i love wound up losing. that is fact.

last night, i was not only embarassed for my TEAM, i was embarassed for the league. honestly, i've seen better officiating in the KHL. that, also, is fact.

i still and always will support my red wings, but i think last night was a black eye for the league in which they play.

now, am i a bandwagoner?

Nope.

This is why you play a 7 game series though. In a best of 7 games, the best team moves on. Sure, the refs may call things your way one game, and the bounces go against you the next. In the end though, the best team moves on.

I saw 4 bad calls last night. Three against the Wings. If I saw that in half the games I watched, I would feel as you do. Still, after a single game or a handful of games you are disenchanted with the league? Here is a news flash for you, there are a lot of other fans who feel the same way as you do. If there is anything that I have learned since I started reffing, its that the the team that wins NEVER complains about the officiating. The team that loses almost always complains about it.

I believe the NHL has some of the best officials in all major sports. For as fast as the game is moving, they do an excellent job. If the Wings won last night and the Sharks were screwed with penalties, how many complaints would you see here? Very very little, if any.

Now you're just becoming a smartass and cannot be taken seriously on any level. Why are you still here?

I'm thinking you might want to go in on team sweatshirts with Rat as far as the Smart Ass thing? Just suggesting...

Yea, I know. I was being a smart ass. :)

This is nonsense.

There is a fairly literal definition of the term "bandwagon." You would do well to read up on the concept of "bandwagon effect" so as to understand why you should stop using the term in a manner that makes no sense.

Based on your working definition, your grievance with "bandwagon fans" revolves around an issue of faith more so than an actual case of "bandwagon effect" in action. There is a difference between one who is pessimistic and one who is optimistic for certain, but in this case, such states do not necessarily minimize how much of a fan one may be. It has more to do with how specific people's personalities deal with any given situation. Thinking or imagining the worst absolutely does not automatically insinuate that you do not care endlessly about something.

You would do well to stop deriding people who care enough about the Red Wings to seek out a message board, make an account, and then post on a forum, perhaps thousands of times. They may not be the same type of fan you are, but they are most certainly fans. You may not process things the same way or agree with them, but it is naive to make sweeping comments to suggest that there are many people here that do not care endlessly about this team. It is entirely unnecessary and presumptuous.

Very true. You are correct, I do have a problem with people throwing the team under the bus so to speak. Its not just with saying "season over" but with people saying "The Wings are s***" or "The Wings suck! I will never watch them again." by so called fans on this forum.

In short, I put it this way.

Say "seasons over"? You are right, this is just someone speaking negatively.

Say "Red Wings are s***"? Typically something said by a bandwagon fan who easily jumps ship.

At the same time though, the bandwagon effect really has not been felt here. For a vast majority of people who are Red Wings fans, we have been fans for years. Not decades though. It wasn't until the early 90s when the Wings started to become a contender. They have never experienced a dropoff. Give the team about 2 poor seasons and these fans that are throwing the team under the bus and saying "season over" when they are down 0-2 will be moving to other teams. The bandwagon effect happens all over the place, and it will happen here in due time.

Just my .02 cents.

The Wings may not have played their best game, but they were certainly good enough to win both. If you operate under the assumption that the Wings didn't deserve to win last night because of faceoffs, then you might be right. But that assumption means the Wings only to deserve to win a game in which they played perfectly.

Maybe "deserve" isn't the right word, but for awhile there I thought we might actually win. I thought there was no way the calls in the third were going to continue being phantom bulls***. I was wrong for the most part. Sure, the Wings did commit some of those penalties they were called for. Not every call was wrong. But the fact that many of those calls came when the Sharks were already on the PP, and many of which were embellished. I.E. Dan Boyle looking like he got swept away in a flood when Flip's stick lightly pushes his leg.

A game they called so "tightly", also allowed the Sharks to wrestle Bertuzzi, Homer, Cleary, and any other Wing standing in front of the net without the puck.

Watson and whoever the other ref was should be made to issue a public apology to Mr. and Mrs. I.

That game last night was an abomination! I've been watching hockey since the early 90's. I've seen a lot of bad calls over that time frame. Last night was the first time I just said f*** it. I turned the game off while the Wings were still leading by a goal. I had simply had enough.

These games are supposed to be for the fans. Those officials should be ashamed of themselves. I hope they made a lot of money last night. If any of us were that incompetent at our jobs we'd be fired. Without a doubt. You know it's bad when the broadcasters start asking whats going on.

I'll watch the next game, but the refs owe the Wings quite a bit. If the officiating keeps on the same way, I'm not going to waste my time or emotions on a farce. Other fans wonder why Wing fans feel like were targeted? Get ******* real.

We might as well just put Bertuzzi in the booth. They won't even let the guy skate around for f***s sake.

Guest Howard He Do It?!

Didn't Vancouver take the first two games?

Yes they did.

Game 1: 4-3 OT

Game 2: 5-2

Didn't Vancouver take the first two games?

Yes they did. However, that was against one of the best assembled teams in modern history. Plus, it's not like the Wings can just bench Uwe Krupp and get going like that team did.

Yes they did. However, that was against one of the best assembled teams in modern history. Plus, it's not like the Wings can just bench Uwe Krupp and get going like that team did.

Brett Hull is going to turn it on for us any day now.

Yup.....any day now.

Take a look at the stats here.

http://www.whowins.com/tables/up20.html

Overall, the odds are always with the team up 2-0. That being said, its not slam dunk. Ask Vancouver back in 2002. You can also ask Washington who were up 3-1 in the series and lost 3 straight. The chance of that happening is even worse than coming back from a 0-2 deficit.