• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

Hockeytown0001

WCSF Game 2 GDT: Red Wings 3 at Sharks 4

Rate this topic

Yes they did.

Game 1: 4-3 OT

Game 2: 5-2

THANKS for posting the scores, HHDT. Looking at them - especially the second one, it was indeed quite a comeback. However...

Yes they did. However, that was against one of the best assembled teams in modern history. Plus, it's not like the Wings can just bench Uwe Krupp and get going like that team did.

Titanium's right. That was one of the best teams ever assembled in hockey.

And it's probably too late to construct a sin bin for s***ty refs?

I'll take it up with Bettman. We'll see what develops. :ph34r:

Oh to imagine if he were trapped in a room with a bunch of angry Wings fans. I would hope he at least makes it out alive. Well, alive but not in a good enough condition to be the commish.

If we can work it out I get to have first dibs on who we take in the room with us to take him out talk to him.

Despite the absolutely ridiculous penalties, we really have to go back to Faceoffs 101, and defense 101. It looks like the wings try to maintain possession of the puck in their own zone when getting forechecked. You can't do that. Their first priority should be to clear it out along the boards, PERIOD. This is what they did when they were winning cups. I don't know guys, besides all of that, I think maybe San Jose is just a better team than us. Do I think they are more complete when both teams are at their best? No. But they are more consistent thus far. Their goalie isn't better but he doesn't have to be. They are more overpowering on offense than we are, and it has been such a long time since we can actually say that.

I don't know. If we lose this series, I think SJ will have to get a TON of credit. With that being said, we still have as good a chance as any of coming back in this series. One game at a time...

Thanks, titanium. And if Vladdy had still been playing? :(;)

Who knows. So many possibilities with that hypothetical situation. Him and Lidstrom could've become one of the greatest defensive pairings ever. Usually a rugged guy like Vladdy isn't all that great of a fit with Nick but Vladdy could handle the puck and make good plays with it. It's why Murph and Rafi are up there in terms of best partners for Nick.

It's about damn time at least one of these guys start to play better.

pg2_e_espn-mag-cover_600.jpg

Great photo.

Should have put Bowman in there too.

And who knows where Datsyuk's legace will ultimately wind up. Although those players were already Hall of Famers by that point.

Despite the absolutely ridiculous penalties, we really have to go back to Faceoffs 101, and defense 101. It looks like the wings try to maintain possession of the puck in their own zone when getting forechecked. You can't do that. Their first priority should be to clear it out along the boards, PERIOD. This is what they did when they were winning cups. I don't know guys, besides all of that, I think maybe San Jose is just a better team than us. Do I think they are more complete when both teams are at their best? No. But they are more consistent thus far. Their goalie isn't better but he doesn't have to be. They are more overpowering on offense than we are, and it has been such a long time since we can actually say that.

I don't know. If we lose this series, I think SJ will have to get a TON of credit. With that being said, we still have as good a chance as any of coming back in this series. One game at a time...

It's not that surprising that the Wings lose so much faceoffs against SJ because if I'm not mistaken they were the best team in regular season at faceoffs. What is it that they do better? The Wings need to steal what they do.

It's not that surprising that the Wings lose so much faceoffs against SJ because if I'm not mistaken they were the best team in regular season at faceoffs. What is it that they do better? The Wings need to steal what they do.

Our guys need to fall on the puck during these faceoffs.

That's what sirdrake would say if he were still here. :!:

Guest scottj

2 things I wanted to ask

1. Did anybody get the feeling that we were f***ed right off of that first penalty on Howie? I mean I didn't see it, but it doesn't take a rocket scientist to figure that Howie's emotions probably weren't up high enough 40 seconds into the game to slash somebody hard enough to be worth calling

and 2. Is it just me or was the excitement from the Vs. announcers whenever we scored the equivalent of Ken Daniels when Chicago scores against us?

Edited by scottj

You know, in all honesty you are one of the only fans of another team I can completely respect. You're completely rational and it's nice to see that.

Are you suuuure you don't want to become a Wings fan instead? Haha

I already am a Wings fan! (second only to the Sharks)

Shhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh

We Cheat

The Sharks have an ongoing internal faceoff competition between teammates. I don't know what the stakes are, but I've heard it's pretty intense. Game 2 faceoffs were unlike Game 1, which led me to believe that's how the Sharks spent a lot of their time in practice between games.

Also, and I've mentioned this in another thread, have you EVER seen so many ejections from the faceoff circle? I think the Sharks are even using this to their advantage, deliberately trying to either a) get away with more aggressive moves, or b) get kicked out, and the positioning that they wanted and planned for anyway (not to mention an upset in pairing that might throw the other team's players off balance mentally).

The Sharks have an ongoing internal faceoff competition between teammates. I don't know what the stakes are, but I've heard it's pretty intense. Game 2 faceoffs were unlike Game 1, which led me to believe that's how the Sharks spent a lot of their time in practice between games.

Also, and I've mentioned this in another thread, have you EVER seen so many ejections from the faceoff circle? I think the Sharks are even using this to their advantage, deliberately trying to either a) get away with more aggressive moves, or b) get kicked out, and the positioning that they wanted and planned for anyway (not to mention an upset in pairing that might throw the other team's players off balance mentally).

Wouldn't surprise me. Toddler likes to run two centers on face-offs in the opposing zone (Pavs/Malhotra or Marleau/Thornton) if one gets tossed, there is little impact. Malhotra is a beast on the faceoffs.

Shhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh

We Cheat

Well so does every good team when it comes to faceoffs. The Wings cheat. Hell, everybody cheats on faceoffs. It's just that teams like the Sharks and Wings are better than most at it. Especially the Sharks.

And I want to know what it is, goddamnit. It's the new S19 flex stick isn't it? Stupid Easton.

Well so does every good team when it comes to faceoffs. The Wings cheat. Hell, everybody cheats on faceoffs. It's just that teams like the Sharks and Wings are better than most at it. Especially the Sharks.

And I want to know what it is, goddamnit. It's the new S19 flex stick isn't it? Stupid Easton.

One thing I always watch for (and watch Malhotra for this, since he's #1 in the NHL by a longshot): Watch how low and WIDE he gets when he sets up over the puck. His skates are dug in with firm edges set in a V on both sides. The guy's a LOW squatting, spidering hunchback with total mechanical advantage, ready to lunge in any direction.

If you watch closely, you'll see that Malhotra isn't necessarily quicker on the draw either. Even after losing at the first stab, the outcome isn't necessarily determined until the puck is actually dished away from the two fighters. Until that happens, he's not finished; he's still jockeying for position and stabbing at the puck.

Plus, there's the advantage of actually getting to compete with/learn from him in practices. Every faceoff Shark is gunning for him on a regular basis in practices, which brings up all their games.

One thing I always watch for (and watch Malhotra for this, since he's #1 in the NHL by a longshot): Watch how low and WIDE he gets when he sets up over the puck. His skates are dug in with firm edges set in a V on both sides. The guy's a LOW squatting, spidering hunchback with total mechanical advantage, ready to lunge in any direction.

If you watch closely, you'll see that Malhotra isn't necessarily quicker on the draw either. Even after losing at the first stab, the outcome isn't necessarily determined until the puck is actually dished away from the two fighters. Until that happens, he's not finished; he's still jockeying for position and stabbing at the puck.

Plus, there's the advantage of actually getting to compete with/learn from him in practices. Every faceoff Shark is gunning for him on a regular basis in practices, which brings up all their games.

Also watch how the Sharks use their bodies, especially Marleau. He will frequently turn slightly and throw his shoulder into the opposing player. He is not even trying to be first to the puck rather establish body position over the puck effectively boxing the opposing player out. Once he has knocked the opposing player out of position, he will kick the puck back to his D.

Thornton is the biggest cheater though. As Grypho said, Thornton gets tossed probably 50% of the time, frequently on purpose.