• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

Hockeytown0001

WCSF Game 2 GDT: Red Wings 3 at Sharks 4

Rate this topic

In the 2nd period, the Wings scored the only goal. They outshot the Sharks, 12-11, and had a lot of pressure. They drove the net, cycled the puck well and had a lot of offensive zone pressure.

There were two penalties in that period.

Both were against Detroit.

What about the other two periods? :).

You don't need to credit the Sharks but please stop blaming the win on the Refs. The Sharks beat the Wings tonight not the Refs.

So it was 5-on-5 when the Sharks scored the game-tying goal? It was 5-on-5 for the first 6 minutes of the third period? The refs won this game. As soon as this BS stops, the series will turn.

Damn, they are beating us at our game, SOG 45-31, they just kept peppering us. Not Howie's fault ... stop the put Ozzie in threads.

The padawan McLelland has learned well from the Master.

Highly influenced by man advantage.

You don't need to credit the Sharks but please stop blaming the win on the Refs. The Sharks beat the Wings tonight not the Refs.

Oh no. We're not saying that. Hockey is a team sport-- the refs deserve as much credit as the rest of their team.

Keys to winning the series:

1) Stop Pavelski.

That is all.

The man is a one man wrecking machine to Detroit's hopes and dreams.

That being said, I want him to be a Red Wing. Real bad.

NO You can have Marleau. We keep little Joe. I love that nick, little Joe,,,LOL

Here's what I posted over on my blog, Hockeytown Happenings.

Let’s just address the elephant in the room and get it out of the way. The officiating in this game was piss poor. It goes beyond that, really. It was embarrassing. I was embarrassed as a hockey fan to see the way in which this game was called tonight. It wasn’t just bad calls against the Wings. The goaltender interference penalty on Heatley was atrocious. It’s the kind of call the Wings have had go against them for years and it doesn’t look any better when it goes against the other team. The two calls against Bertuzzi tonight were abysmal. I don’t think the referees think twice about making those calls if the name BERTUZZI isn’t sewn across the back of the jersey. It’s uncalled for, it’s embarrassing and the NHL needs to do something about it.

That leads me to my next point. Brad Watson and Kevin Pollock need to be fired. If any of us do that poor of a job at our professions, we get terminated. It’s not like it’s the first time with these guys. The simple fact is that officiating should be not be this large of a deciding factor in a National Hockey League playoff game. This needs to be a pressing issue and you just don’t get the sense that the league cares at all. There won’t be disciplinary action. Gary Bettman isn’t going to say anything. Until there is a precedent set for this kind of shoddy officiating to be done away with, it’s going to keep happening. It’s disgusting.

Taking all of that into consideration, the Wings need to blame themselves for losing this game. For as many terrible calls as there were, there were plenty that were legitimate and were taken at very inopportune times. For instance, the too-many-men-on-the-ice call with just over a minute to go. Or Dan Cleary’s slashing penalty. Or Valtteri Filppula’s tripping call. All real penalties. The penalty kill can only do so much. Jimmy Howard can only do so much. The Wings were too sloppy for much of Game 2 and it cost them.

Can somebody explain how the Red Wings are suddenly incapable of winning a face-off? I mean, how does that happen? They were so consistently dominant in the circle during the regular season and now, nine games into the playoffs, they can’t win one to save their lives. They’re not just losing them, they’re losing them at the worst possible times. It’s such a seemingly small part of the game, but it continues to burn them. They need to re-discover some of their fundamentals.

Joe Pavelski is playing out of his mind. He’s doing everything right. The Versus guys joked that he could have been selling popcorn at the game, too, and that’s really what it felt like. It kind of felt like the performance Johan Franzen routinely turns in this time of year.

Speaking of The Mule, where are you?

In a game I really expected the Wings to win, they take a step back. It will be in vogue for many Wings fans to cite the officiating as the reason the Wings lost this game, but it’s obviously more than that. A few bad calls do not a playoff loss make. I’m pissed off about it, too. Something needs to happen. But taking the stance that it cost the Wings the game is too easy. A 2-0 hole is certainly not inescapable, but the Wings are going to need to be a hell of a lot better and smarter when they get back to The Joe.

Edited by RedWingsFanatic

We lost for a couple reasons. One, we weren't playing Red Wings hockey. We were sloppy, lazy and undisciplined.

That being said, when the refs are so ******* incompetent that they are calling phantom penalties and constantly forcing you to play on your heels because you're always on the penalty kill, that s*** is going to add up. The 2002 Wings would lose the game if these refs were calling it. You can't win the game when you're constantly on 5 on 3's because the refs caught you sneezing on the goalie and pop you for interference. Sooner or later, the team constantly on the PP is going to net goals, and that's just what happened.

Blaming the refs for this loss is absolutely correct, because if not for their stunning lack of intelligence, maybe we win this game DESPITE how poorly we played otherwise.

When you see the refs are calling phantom calls all game, why in the f*** do you keep taking chances on scrappy, 50/50 penalty type stuff? Bert's "holding" call was ABSURD. No argument. But then Kronwall takes a blatant penalty on the PK that he absolutely didn't need to take. So I should blame the refs for Kronwalls total stupidity in taking a blatant, unnecessary penalty when we're already on the PK and up only by 1?!?!

Seriously?!?!?

Every penalty against us after Bert's "holding" call was a legit penalty. The only phantom call after that was against Heatley!

Sorry, no way is blaming the refs going to fly. They may have sucked, but we gave this game away.

Good to hear from true Wings fans out there such as yourself that have a grasp of the obvious and actually know hockey.

And I'm assuming you're a "true Wings fan" too, eh?... Classic.

Guest REDWINGSFTW

We never got jobbed by the refs, atleast not on purpose, do you guys think we should have gotten the call when stuart pushed heatly into Jimmy? Calm your nuts sharks fans cudve f***en got angry over that issue.

When you see the refs are calling phantom calls all game, why in the f*** do you keep taking chances on scrappy, 50/50 penalty type stuff? Bert's "holding" call was ABSURD. No argument. But then Kronwall takes a blatant penalty on the PK that he absolutely didn't need to take. So I should blame the refs for Kronwalls total stupidity in taking a blatant, unnecessary penalty when we're already on the PK and up only by 1?!?!

Seriously?!?!?

Every penalty against us after Bert's "holding" call was a legit penalty. The only phantom call after that was against Heatley!

Sorry, no way is blaming the refs going to fly. They may have sucked, but we gave this game away.

But you can't just take these all out of context, one at a time. Kronwall's not in position to take that penalty without the BS Bertuzzi penalty that completed shifted the course of that game. Detroit started the 3rd strong and then that crap call changed the momentum, the Kronwall penalty led to a tie and the rest is history. You're telling me there was NO time that a Wing was interfered with, held or roughed in all that time? Come on. You can blame the refs when the refs are horrendous.

We never got jobbed by the refs, atleast not on purpose, do you guys think we should have gotten the call when stuart pushed heatly into Jimmy? Calm your nuts sharks fans cudve f***en got angry over that issue.

Could've been angry over their 4th penalty when Detroit had 9? No.

Seriously?!?!?

Well, since you seem to think you know better, we'll all just defer to you. Pardon us for thinking different.

Here's what I posted over on my blog, Hockeytown Happenings.

Let’s just address the elephant in the room and get it out of the way. The officiating in this game was piss poor. It goes beyond that, really. It was embarrassing. I was embarrassed as a hockey fan to see the way in which this game was called tonight. It wasn’t just bad calls against the Wings. The goaltender interference penalty on Heatley was atrocious. It’s the kind of call the Wings have had go against them for years and it doesn’t look any better when it goes against the other team. The two calls against Bertuzzi tonight were abysmal. I don’t think the referees think twice about making those calls if the name BERTUZZI isn’t sewn across the back of the jersey. It’s uncalled for, it’s embarrassing and the NHL needs to do something about it.

That leads me to my next point. Brad Watson and Kevin Pollock need to be fired. If any of us do that poor of a job at our professions, we get terminated. It’s not like it’s the first time with these guys. The simple fact is that officiating should be not be this large of a deciding factor in a National Hockey League playoff game. This needs to be a pressing issue and you just don’t get the sense that the league cares at all. There won’t be disciplinary action. Gary Bettman isn’t going to say anything. Until there is a precedent set for this kind of shoddy officiating to be done away with, it’s going to keep happening. It’s disgusting.

Taking all of that into consideration, the Wings need to blame themselves for losing this game. For as many terrible calls as there were, there were plenty that were legitimate and were taken at very inopportune times. For instance, the too-many-men-on-the-ice call with just over a minute to go. Or Dan Cleary’s slashing penalty. Or Valtteri Filppula’s tripping call. All real penalties. The penalty kill can only do so much. Jimmy Howard can only do so much. The Wings were too sloppy for much of Game 2 and it cost them.

Can somebody explain how the Red Wings are suddenly incapable of winning a face-off? I mean, how does that happen? They were so consistently dominant in the circle during the regular season and now, nine games into the playoffs, they can’t win one to save their lives. They’re not just losing them, they’re losing them at the worst possible times. It’s such a seemingly small part of the game, but it continues to burn them. They need to re-discover some of their fundamentals.

Joe Pavelski is playing out of his mind. He’s doing everything right. The Versus guys joked that he could have been selling popcorn at the game, too, and that’s really what it felt like. It kind of felt like the performance Johan Franzen routinely turns in this time of year.

Speaking of The Mule, where are you?

In a game I really expected the Wings to win, they take a step back. It will be in vogue for many Wings fans to cite the officiating as the reason the Wings lost this game, but it’s obviously more than that. A few bad calls do not a playoff loss make. I’m pissed off about it, too. Something needs to happen. But taking the stance that it cost the Wings the game is too easy. A 2-0 hole is certainly not inescapable, but the Wings are going to need to be a hell of a lot better and smarter when they get back to The Joe.

Great post! :thumbup: The bolded part is what I am asking, too. They'd better figure out a new game plan on the way home -- they need to win the next two games, for sure.

And I think they will. :cool:

If we're going to continually get penalties called on us, then we should make them count. I'd offer bonus money to the player who lays out Pavelski - just like Stevens did to Kozlov in 1995. And that wasn't even a penalty!!!!! If the penalties are coming anyway, then let the blood flow.

What about heatlys interference where stuart pushed him in cocksuckermotherf***er?

Did it give the Wings a power play? No. A 5-on-3? No. Did it drastically swing the momentum? No. It made a 5-on-4 into a 4-on-4 with an 11-second power play.

It was a bad call, sure, but it was far from equal to the earlier bad calls.

Guest REDWINGSFTW

But you can't just take these all out of context, one at a time. Kronwall's not in position to take that penalty without the BS Bertuzzi penalty that completed shifted the course of that game. Detroit started the 3rd strong and then that crap call changed the momentum, the Kronwall penalty led to a tie and the rest is history. You're telling me there was NO time that a Wing was interfered with, held or roughed in all that time? Come on. You can blame the refs when the refs are horrendous.

Could've been angry over their 4th penalty when Detroit had 9? No.

Sharks didn't do anything that warranted a penalty except some dives. Those calls that the wings got against them were thing that COULDN'T go unoticed. Dives or not its a hard call, if a guy falls and bertuzzi's hand is on him, its going to be a holding call. If you get your stick between someones legs and they fall 9.8/10 its a tripping call.

The diving really pisses me off so ******* much but we never got jobbed, the other team got lucky.

Guest Blackhawkdown

Stop blaming the Wings lack of discipline on the refs. The Wings beat themselves tonight by taking all those penalties.