#1241 titanium2

titanium2

Asha... I want I want!!!

• Bronze Booster
  • 10,495 posts

Posted 03 May 2010 - 10:47 PM

Shhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh

We Cheat

Well so does every good team when it comes to faceoffs. The Wings cheat. Hell, everybody cheats on faceoffs. It's just that teams like the Sharks and Wings are better than most at it. Especially the Sharks.

And I want to know what it is, goddamnit. It's the new S19 flex stick isn't it? Stupid Easton.

#1242 Grypho

Grypho

Sharks Fan

• HoF Booster
  • 487 posts

Posted 03 May 2010 - 10:56 PM

Well so does every good team when it comes to faceoffs. The Wings cheat. Hell, everybody cheats on faceoffs. It's just that teams like the Sharks and Wings are better than most at it. Especially the Sharks.

And I want to know what it is, goddamnit. It's the new S19 flex stick isn't it? Stupid Easton.

One thing I always watch for (and watch Malhotra for this, since he's #1 in the NHL by a longshot): Watch how low and WIDE he gets when he sets up over the puck. His skates are dug in with firm edges set in a V on both sides. The guy's a LOW squatting, spidering hunchback with total mechanical advantage, ready to lunge in any direction.

If you watch closely, you'll see that Malhotra isn't necessarily quicker on the draw either. Even after losing at the first stab, the outcome isn't necessarily determined until the puck is actually dished away from the two fighters. Until that happens, he's not finished; he's still jockeying for position and stabbing at the puck.

Plus, there's the advantage of actually getting to compete with/learn from him in practices. Every faceoff Shark is gunning for him on a regular basis in practices, which brings up all their games.

#1243 Ratbastrd

Ratbastrd

Rookie

• Pip
  • 129 posts

Posted 03 May 2010 - 11:06 PM

One thing I always watch for (and watch Malhotra for this, since he's #1 in the NHL by a longshot): Watch how low and WIDE he gets when he sets up over the puck. His skates are dug in with firm edges set in a V on both sides. The guy's a LOW squatting, spidering hunchback with total mechanical advantage, ready to lunge in any direction.

If you watch closely, you'll see that Malhotra isn't necessarily quicker on the draw either. Even after losing at the first stab, the outcome isn't necessarily determined until the puck is actually dished away from the two fighters. Until that happens, he's not finished; he's still jockeying for position and stabbing at the puck.

Plus, there's the advantage of actually getting to compete with/learn from him in practices. Every faceoff Shark is gunning for him on a regular basis in practices, which brings up all their games.

Also watch how the Sharks use their bodies, especially Marleau. He will frequently turn slightly and throw his shoulder into the opposing player. He is not even trying to be first to the puck rather establish body position over the puck effectively boxing the opposing player out. Once he has knocked the opposing player out of position, he will kick the puck back to his D.

Thornton is the biggest cheater though. As Grypho said, Thornton gets tossed probably 50% of the time, frequently on purpose.