• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

Sign in to follow this  
wingsownnhl43

Nick Lidstrom

Rate this topic

I had a thought pertaining to Nick Lidstrom about next year.. How would you guys feel if he decided to pull a Scott Niedermayer and sit out half the year to spend time with his family and such. In my mind, this would be the best case scenerio for both him and the Red Wings.

1. Nick isnt getting any younger and has played a lot of games over the last few years. He could still stay in shape and I honestly think 30 regular season games would be enough to get him rolling for the playoffs.

2. His cap hit would be more than cut in half, giving Ken Holland more flexibility. I dont think it would really matter if we didnt have him for the first 50 games. The Wings will be good enough to have a solid regular season next year. They will have a bit more depth, and will hopefully be healthier.

FORWARDS

Pavel Datsyuk ($6.700m) / Henrik Zetterberg ($6.083m) / Tomas Holmstrom ($1.500m)

Jiri Hudler ($2.875m) / Valtteri Filppula ($3.000m) / Johan Franzen ($3.955m)

Daniel Cleary ($2.800m) / * Darren Helm ($0.750m)

* Drew Miller ($0.600m) / * Justin Abdelkader ($0.850m) / Patrick Eaves ($0.600m)

Kris Draper ($1.583m) /

DEFENSEMEN

Brian Rafalski ($6.000m) / Brad Stuart ($3.750m)

Niklas Kronwall ($3.000m) /

Jonathan Ericsson ($0.900m) / Jakub Kindl ($0.883m)

GOALTENDERS

Chris Osgood ($1.417m) / Jimmy Howard ($0.717m)

* Nicklas Lidstrom ($2.000m) - Will come back after 50 games.

CAPGEEK.COM TOTALS

ROSTER: 20; PAYROLL: $49.963m; CAP ROOM: $6.837m BONUSES: $0.000m

This doesnt include resigning Todd Bertuzzi or Andreas Lilja. I like both of them, but Ken Holland would have $6.8 million in cap room with this scenerio. He could decide to bring them back or try to upgrade those positions. I just think this would be ideal because come playoff time we would have the same team as this year + Hulder, and $6.8 to play with.

Guest EZBAKETHAGANGSTA

Lidstrom's back next year 4 sure I can guarantee it...

There is no way you can possibly guarantee something that you have no influence on the outcome.

No, no and no.

I see the temptation, but the Niedermayer incident was an embarrassment that tarnished his reputation... Lidstrom and Holland would never do it.

Assuming the Wings are humming all year (not in jeopardy of missing the playoffs) you might see him rested a few games, but that's it.

No, no and no.

I see the temptation, but the Niedermayer incident was an embarrassment that tarnished his reputation... Lidstrom and Holland would never do it.

Assuming the Wings are humming all year (not in jeopardy of missing the playoffs) you might see him rested a few games, but that's it.

I would imagine that if Nick went to Kenny telling him he's tired and needs time off but would like to come back later on in the regular season that Kenny would oblige.

With that being said, I agree that this scenerio is unlikely to occur. Just something to think about, and would allow us to potentially pick up another top 6 forward or top 4 defenseman.

I personally don't like the idea, but it isn't impossible for it to happen.

Assuming he signs for 7 mill, his salary would then be 3.5 for the second half of the season, meaning we would have 3.5 to bring in another defenceman. Defensive players tend to be pretty expensive and I don't think we could get in a good replacement on that price.

If we did get a solid replacement, when Lids returns, there would be another odd man out. Lidstrom, Rafalski, Stuart, Kronwall, Free Agent Guy, Erricsson, Lilja, and even Kindl is expected to get time next year.

Or he could just sign a full one year, two million dollar contract and play third pairing minutes during the regular season. If the goal is to help the team financially and allow him to get some well deserved rest after 18 NHL seasons, there are ways of accomplishing it without deceit.

lidstrom wouldn't do that, I think its pretty much a sure thing he resigns for the full year

Noooooooooooooooo!!!!!!!!!!! I'd rather him resign for half the year than the full year :(. Hopefully he re-signs for the full year, though.

There is no way you can possibly guarantee something that you have no influence on the outcome.

I guarantee my roommate will eat the Twinkies sitting in our cupboard by tomorrow.

I don't see Lidstrom as the type to do things halfway like that. If he retires, it will more than likely be a real, permanent retirement. If he keeps playing, he'll give it all he's got like he's always done.

I think all the Wings are going to retire after the Refs deciding to give the Sharks 10 power plays in a playoff game and only assessing 3 penalties against the lucky sharks.

I don't want to be the "I heard it from a friend of a friend" rumor spreading guy, so I will say in full disclosure, this next comment is hearsay:

However, a gentleman on my hockey team claims to be a good friend of the Lidstrom family and says their house has been sold and they are renting a condo for the remainder of the season because he is most likely done. Take it for what it's worth, but if true, that doesn't sound too promising. I hope it's not.

edit: I questioned the validity on the mere fact one was able to sell a home in Metro Detroit.

Edited by ManLuv4Clears

I don't want to be the "I heard it from a friend of a friend" rumor spreading guy, so I will say in full disclosure, this next comment is hearsay:

However, a gentleman on my hockey team claims to be a good friend of the Lidstrom family and says their house has been sold and they are renting a condo for the remainder of the season because he is most likely done. Take it for what it's worth, but if true, that doesn't sound too promising. I hope it's not.

edit: I questioned the validity on the mere fact one was able to sell a home in Metro Detroit.

You're not the first person to make reports like this. :(

Although I don't know how he was able to sell that house of his. His house is/was huuuuuge.

WOW I never thought it would happen but you just came up with a reason for me to respect Lids less.

If he pulled that crap that would be the one way I would lose respect for him.

Now lets say he is really committed to spending time with his family, lest we forget that was what Neids was doing, (IMO and it is probably the minority seeing as he is a Duck.) this is not Peter Forsberg playing year round in Sweden and then making a comeback in March, or Mats Sundin waiting for the best and biggest offer.

Then I have no problem with it, listen the man is 40, if he thinks he wants to go home to his family, is there 2 months and like the rest of us realizes his family is a big pain in his ass, then calls up Holland and says got room? I am ok with that.

What I worry about is this is not Ana or Tor or Van, this is the Detroit Red Wings and if some one is not on the books, that money is spent on the best talent it can bring in (ok subjective, my opinion). If Lids were to try and do this, his money is spent and he would not be able to come back.

Unless that is, if he and Holland planned it which brings me back to this:

WOW I never thought it would happen but you just came up with a reason for me to respect Lids less.

You're not the first person to make reports like this. :(

Although I don't know how he was able to sell that house of his. His house is/was huuuuuge.

A couple of things that differ from you(generic) and I compared to Lids:

You and I don't really own our houses, the banks do, so if we want to sell we have a minimum number what you owe + Agent fees.

You and I can not sell in this economy without losing money on our houses, therefore we can not sell.

You and I have two options, Short sale and your credit gets hammered and you can not buy for 5 years. Or...

Foreclosure, I can walk out from under my home and say screw you Indie Mac (actually the fiancee owns, I moved in) and our loan.

There goes our credit and any chance of buying a home or anything for at least 7 years.

Compared to Lids:

Owns his house the old fashion way, he paid for it with some of the millions he has.

He can sell for whatever damn price he wants, it is all profit except the Agent Fee.

The house is for sale near Detroit and the greatest thing to come along since Yzerman just moved out of it.

The Detroit thing may scare you, however the house is in probably the most beautiful part of the Metro region (it is still in the metro region right? Little Sweden?) and he probably sold it to Howard who will need a house now!

Hell I would buy it from him and pay him extra to sign a huge wall in the middle of the damn thing.