• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

HockeyCoach13

Put Ozzy in.

Rate this topic

337 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

if OP is a troll, he is the most successful troll in the history of the internets. i want the other 13 or whatever people who voted "yes" on this poll to show their faces.

also, this is probably being discussed in the GDT, but aside from the 10-4 pp ratio, how does 37.6 percent strike you? that was our faceoff efficiency last night. :blink:

but, no, ozzie is not the answer right now. win faceoffs and don't take so many penalties. we would almost certainly have won the game if those two things has happened.

Howard has to work on his lack goal scoring prowess.

And his face-offs, Duh!

Seriously I actually wish that a goalie change would fix the situation, that would be a hell of a lot easier fix than what is really the problem. The Wings have not shown up for either the first or last 10 minutes of either game and that is when in fact they have lost both games. Well technically it was the first 2 and last 7, put you get my point.

They are not showing up to start the game they look half a sleep and have given up multiple PP goals in the first 5.

The game winner in each game was scored with less than 10 minutes left.

Two 5-3 in one game, 3 in the series and we are two games into it.

10 pp, a 3 on 1 (lids had no stick so I guess 3 on 1.5).

Like I said I wish the goalie switch would solve the problem, but hey at least J-ho didn't give up 6 in 2 periods, looking at you Niemi.

yeah,put ozzie in,howard had 'only' 41 saves last night

It's not how many saves you make. It's when and how you make them. Howard gave up two soft goals in the final 15:20, killing the Wings' momentum. The first let the Sharks tie the game, and gave them much more life. This put the Wings back on their heels as the Sharks increased their attack. Howard gave up another bad goal with only 7:23 remaining, putting the Sharks into a 4-3 lead with little time left in the game.

41 saves doesn't matter if he allows soft, game-changing goals at two pivotal moments of the third period. He could have made 100 saves and it wouldn't matter if he allowed those two goals and it changed the lead and won San Jose the game.

As a goaltender, he should assume the most goal support he's going to get is 2-3 goals. If he allows 2 s***ty goals, he better be perfect the rest of the game. While he played well, he wasn't. Especially considering he was more than once saved by a teammate (VS once even called "Great save Howard" for a shot when Howard was flat on his back and the shot hit a kneeling Z in the logo) so there could have been even more bad goals to rant about.

Bad goals at bad times are about the worst thing a goalie can give up, and Howard has given up more than a few this playoff run. The offense has come through for him a few times to cover that up, but it can't be there all the time. No team scores 4-5 goals every game... unless they're playing Howard the way he has played most of the playoffs.

2 s***ty goals, ahh hahahaha Eva I used to read your posts for info now I read them for a laugh.

Good work my man!

Talk about bad goals at a bad time, that phrase instantly makes me think Ozzie 5 hole. But sure that 5 on 3 goal was without a doubt Howies fault? :blink:

Oh yeah Pavelski left wide open all alone in the slot, Howies fault too?

A 5 on 4, the Sharks switch sides of the ice, and leave all 4 of the PKers on the opposite side of the ice, and Howie is supposed to do what?

Ozzie does not make at least 3 of the saves Howard made last night, the one posted on Malhotra, the deflection off of Ralf that Thornton shot from the Blue line has eaten him up in the past as well, but lets say he gets that one. Howie's athletic ability put him in position to make at least 4 door step saves that I don't know if the current Ozzie gets any where near.

Is he Luongo, nope, is he Broduer, nope he is Jimmy Howard, the Red Wing Goalie.

So how about those face off numbers, or penalty totals, nah the real reason the Wings lost is Howard gave up two untimely goals, good deductive reasoning, skip the real problem and blame what you want. :huh:

Edited by Opie

I don't think Howard lost us the game, it was stupid penalties and non-penalties that were stupidly called. But I don't see the harm in putting Ozzie in. Yeah he may have some rust but he knows how to get it done in the playoffs and its just if we go down one more game then it will be too late to bring in Ozzie - by then Howard may have lost some confidence (although I don't see why as he's been stellar) its just as someone who's played goaltender in soccer (I know very different but still) even if the team in front of you stinks, it still affects you and make you feel responsible when you lose. I say using Ozzie wouldn't be a bad idea but wouldn't be a solution either. Howard is tired, even if he isn't showing it. Give him a bit of a rest.

The only bad goal of the game imo was Dats first goal, Nabby should have had that, don't get me wrong the placement was unreal, but I am not sure the puck even fit in the space Dats put it, I think it shrunk half way to the net and re-expanded in the net!

Without the team winning faceoffs ( usually a Det strong suit) getting ample PP, and spending less time on the pk, showing up for first and last 10, the series is lost.

Now do I think the Wings can come back and win the series, without a doubt but in order to do so they must play 60 or however many minutes the game is (OT and all), stop taking penalties (dives or not I would say more than half of the penalties were legit calls), win face offs.

Even Roy gave up 7 once, I wish I could remember what team that was that beat him like that, hmm for some reason I feel I should know this one! :cool:

Let's take a look at all of the goals Howard has let in.

Game 1.

1.PP Pavelski - Wristshot from the slot on the PP after a sweet pass from Boyle with a crowd in front of the net. Not much he could do on it but hey, I'll stretch and say it'd be awesome if somehow he coudl of stopped it so we'll call this one neutral.

2. Heatley - Thronton works down low and passes the puck out front to Heatley. Broken down coverage and Heatley gets a tap in. No way Howard can stop that.

3. Setoguchi - broken play off the face off, Howard breaks to make a save and the puck deflects off someone and lands right on Setoguchi's stick with a wide open net. No way he can stop that.

4. PP Pavelski - While on a 5-on-3 we've killed around a minute of the ~1:10 PP, pavelski gets it down low and Howard gets caught cheating a bit and gets beat throw the legs. This one, in my opinion, I think he could have stopped.

Game 1 summary. 1 goal his fault, 2 not his fault, 1 is neutral (and that's me stretching for all you irrational Howard haters).

Game 2.

1. Pavelski - slapshot on the PP. Howard would want this one back.

2. Clowe - drives the net and puts it throw his own legs to beat Howard down low off a fast break by Pavelski. WIth poor defensive zone covereage in front of the net I'll stretch for you all again and give you a neutral.

3. Pavelski - 5-on-3 breakdown with a mad scramble in which we couldn't clear. Howard made some huge saves on this PP and finally the sharks put the puck in the net. There is no way you can blame Howard for this goal.

4. Thornton - Lidstrom's stick breaks, Heatley rips a short for which Howard makes a tough save, the puck unfortunately bounces off Rafalski's shin right onto Thornton's stick for a wide open net. No way you blame Howard.

Game 2 Summary. 1 goal his fault, 2 not his fault, 1 is neutral (again, stretching).

Total: 2 his fault, 4 not his fault, 2 neutral (again stretching)

I don't think last night was Howard's best game, but I still think it was his most important. It was the first game of the playoffs in which he battled back strong after giving up a second goal. He's had some moments close to meltdown after second goals where he's looked totally ready to crumble. A third goal tends to follow fast. It was right there last night after the second goal but he made a huge save and battled hard and kept the team in the game. Even if you want your goalie to make a save on the 3rd and 4th goal, getting on the 5 on 3 in particular was no fault of his and I think it's real hard to assign blame to him for that goal.

We didn't last night's game because of Jimmy Howard, though at the same time, we haven't won a game in this series yet either, and Jimmy Howard has a hand in that too. There haven't been incredibly soft goals, but there has been a lack of big saves before we're already in a hole. If we're going to have a prayer, he needs to be far stronger in the first period in games 3 and 4. He has failed to make the big saves early on and when you go down early, or you don't maintain early leads, you're not set up too well for the rest of the game.

Just like the rest of the team, Jimmy Howard needs to put in a full 60 minutes in games 3 and 4 or this series is over.

It's not how many saves you make. It's when and how you make them. Howard gave up two soft goals in the final 15:20, killing the Wings' momentum. The first let the Sharks tie the game, and gave them much more life. This put the Wings back on their heels as the Sharks increased their attack. Howard gave up another bad goal with only 7:23 remaining, putting the Sharks into a 4-3 lead with little time left in the game.

How on earth do you consider a bad bounce on a 3 on 1 with Thornton/Heatley/Marleau a "bad" goal.

I have no clue how you talk yourself into believe such foolishness.

Edited by Carman

Jimmy was standing on his head when the score was 3-2, so saying he has never made the big timely

save until but there has been a lack of big saves before we're already in a hole (gcom007 quote)

The glove save on Malhotra, Thornton, the saves on the door step through the mad scrambles, if I remember correctly all happened while the Wings had the lead or were tied.

I find it hilarious all of the glaring mistakes made in this game by Wings skaters and the way to fix it on here starts with the netminders.

I have a couple of ideas:

1. Win face offs.

2. D-men stop making lazy backhanded no look passes through the middle of the D -zone. Ericsson, Stuart looking at you!

3. Stop taking penalties, 3 penalties last night were dives, 3 of 10 that is still a lot of crap to deal with, and Howard had his hand in that.

4. This may sound weird, but the Wings need to leave playing the body to the guys who can, it seems like everyone is going out of their way to hit someone. In the Bowman days there was no bigger sign of a loss to me than when players just started trying to hit. Even Dats last night was hitting when I thought he could have easily stolen the puck. Let the guys who can hit, hit. If there is no one to hit on a line, that is Babs fault.

5. STOP PAVELSKI! Jesus Christ this man is on fire right now, he plays with Clowe and Setiguchi, they are doing more damage than Thornton and Heatley.

BTW Clowe's goal last night, WOW just wow, he showed unreal hands there, he is no Clement, Clement hands of Cement!

Edit:

TO clarify the hit comment, I don't want the whole team to stop hitting, but Flip, Dats, Z, Holmer(Mainly because of how out of position it usually takes him), Bert (if he is not going to really hit than don't bother), and Williams, guys like this have to spend time with Helm and Abdelkader or just stop hitting. Sure Z and D usually get back to position, but it is taking them out of their game imo!

Edited by Opie

I think this whole thing is idiotic. I really don't see how Howard is to blame for us losing the game?

Howard didn't break nicks stick

Is Howard the reason we didn't win face-offs?

Hmm I don't think so.

I do think its hilarious that whenever we lose a game, there's always someone who is going to say take him out or its all his fault.....

Because no matter what its always the goalies fault if we lose, but if we win its the goal scorers victory.

I say we keep howard in, he's played great for us all year and i know that he can continue to play great.

Foolish foolish foolish. Keep Howard in. He's doing pretty well, and the experience he gains in the playoffs will pay dividends down the road. Sometimes you have to look at the big picture. Obviously the FieldHockeyCoach didn't do that.