• Please log in to reply
90 replies to this topic

#41 Jericho613

Jericho613

Give Nothing, Take Everything

• PipPipPip
  • 513 posts

Posted 03 May 2010 - 09:49 AM

I still respect the Sharks despite everything that is going on. Wings will just have to fight through it, win the next 2 games and take it from there. The First 2 games are over nothing they can do about it now. Just go into the next two games and win.

#42 mmamolo

mmamolo

1st Line All-Star

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,809 posts

Posted 03 May 2010 - 10:12 AM

(Excerpted - cleaned up)
(1) D Slashing - Howard - ticky tack call. If you want to make that call at the one minute mark of the game then make that call the next 150 times it happens throughout the game. They never continued to do so the rest of the night so that makes this call bogus.
(2) D Goaltender Interference - Abdelkader -- Nabokov initiates contact and flops. Bogus
(3) SJ Slashing - Heatley -- Not the hardest slash in the world but a slash none the less. Legit
(4) D Cross check - Datsyuk -- cross check to the back without the puck. Legit
(5) SJ Boarding - Marleau -- was a hit on the numbers but not nearly hard enough to earn a penalty. Bogus
(6) D Goaltender Interference - Bertuzzi -- little to no contact was made between the players. All of the contact that was made in this case was initiated by the SJ defenseman. Bertuzzi was pushed in. Bogus.
(7) D Interference - Stuart -- Nichol does a bit of a flop here (if you can call it that) but really he felt the stick and crashed hard because of what Stuart did. Legit
(8) SJ Interference - Murray -- Stuart was crashing the crease and Murray creamed him into. Stuart did a bit of what Nichol did in drawing the attention of the ref but really he felt the pressure and hit pretty good. Legit
(9) D Holding - Bertuzzi -- Slight nudge on the hip and the Vlasic flops like a jackass and the ref buys it. Terrible call. Bogus
(10) D Slashing - Cleary --No choice but to make this call. Gets called every single time. Legit.
(11) D Tripping - Filppula --Unfortunate timing but gets called each time. Legit
(12) SJ Goaltender Interference - Stuart pushes Heatley into the goaltender. Heatley didn't do a ton to avoid the contact but I thought he made some effort. Point is Stuart initiated all of the contact, not Heatley. This was a joke of a call. bogus.
(13) D Too many men on the ice - Bench -- Filppula was going for a change. He then saw the Sharks would have scored the empty net goal so he turned around, after Holmstrom already stepped on the ice, and he stopped Heatley (I think) from proceeding. Legit.

Detroit penalties: Valid calls: 5, Bogus calls: 4
San Jose penalties: Valid calls: 2, Bogus calls: 2
Posted Imagewww.unsportsmanlike.ca

#43 Finnish Wing

Finnish Wing

13th Forward

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,475 posts

Posted 03 May 2010 - 10:13 AM

What can you do? SHARKS DIVE! It's what they do.

Edited by Finnish Wing, 03 May 2010 - 10:14 AM.

Detroit Red Wings & Tampereen Ilves forever!

#44 Electrophile

Electrophile

Ipsa scientia potestas est.

• Silver Booster
  • 9,390 posts

Posted 03 May 2010 - 10:40 AM

Posted Image

If there's a record for most negative reps gained in a 24-hour period, you've far surpassed it my friend.

electrophilewingsfloyd.jpg

"People assume that time is a strict progression of cause to effect, but *actually* from a non-linear, non-subjective viewpoint - it's more like a big ball of wibbly wobbly... time-y wimey... stuff."  -- The Doctor

#45 GMRwings1983

GMRwings1983

The Killer is Me

• Silver Booster
  • 20,740 posts

Posted 03 May 2010 - 11:27 AM

They are divers, but that's the NHL's fault for not enforcing diving like it used to in the past.

If the Sharks win this series, I'd rather see them win the Stanley Cup than the other 6 teams left in these playoffs.
According to my profile, my reputation is excellent. LOL.

#46 Z Winged Dangler

Z Winged Dangler

Part 3: Return of the Hammer Hands

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,199 posts

Posted 03 May 2010 - 12:57 PM

In other words: "My team dives like Crosby and Forsberg's lovechild but you're a big meanie for pointing it out."

I'd pay $10 to watch you say that to Don Cherry. His reaction would be epic. I assume it'd look like a scene from Scanners.

he just notices it because the NHL is approx 50% Canadian. and they're usually getting tripped and hooked and slashed by lazy assholes, euros half the time.

"I play hockey, but I am not very good.  Can someone please tell me what it would take to sign with the Wings ? I can use a million or two."  ~ arag

Dan Cleary is an Xbox 360.  While good for a while, it's time for the new generation to take over.

#47 HOCKEY MATTERS

HOCKEY MATTERS

Nearly invisible now........you smell that?

• HoF Booster
  • 2,401 posts

Posted 03 May 2010 - 01:02 PM

It's not the Sharks fault if the refs lean their way. When the refs lean our way, I never hear anyone on the LGW puffing up in protest. The Sharks are handling this exactly like the Wings would....they'll take bad calls that help them. We do. It would be retarded to think they wouldn't.

I fault the refs, not the Sharks.
half the world is nuts...and the other half is crazy
"You can't chew yesterdays' breakfast." Jim Leyland
Drawing on my fine command of language, I said nothing.

Alternative to Google tracking you.... http://duckduckgo.com/

#48 scottj

scottj

2nd Line Scorer

• PipPipPip
  • 644 posts

Posted 03 May 2010 - 01:26 PM

... nobody is saying it's the sharks fault for taking the powerplay

they're saying they lost respect cause they're diving like a bunch of ******* and pussifying hockey

the league needs to crack down on this big time... even if it means calling draper or whoever

#49 Holmstrom96

Holmstrom96

Banned Member

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,605 posts

Posted 03 May 2010 - 01:28 PM

Edit: I've also ignored all the diving, since that's apparently not a penalty anymore (except when Helm loses an edge, falls, and gets right back up and into the play).

LAWL

#50 EZBAKETHAGANGSTA

EZBAKETHAGANGSTA

Hall-of-Famer

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,731 posts

Posted 03 May 2010 - 01:34 PM

This is going to be an unpopular opinion, but most of the calls last night were legit, it was just the consistency of them and the double standard. I'm much more mad at the refs then the Sharks.
Victory Honda Forever.

Like my posts? Contact Hossa4life for information regarding my fan club

#51 GoWings1905

GoWings1905

Legend

• Gold Booster
  • 5,275 posts

Posted 03 May 2010 - 01:34 PM

I fault the refs and the Sharks. I have no respect for a team that dives as much as they have and well I never respected NHL officials to begin with.

"To whom much is given, much is expected."

#52 micah

micah

Hall-of-Famer

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,345 posts

Posted 03 May 2010 - 01:45 PM

I fault the refs and the Sharks. I have no respect for a team that dives as much as they have...

How much diving is okay by you?
"It was pretty interesting," said Detroit coach Mike Babcock. "We had May in exhibition for a couple of games and no one gets hacked or whacked. When we don't have him, we get run. We don't have a team that twists off helmets at stoppages. You get tired of seeing it all the time. It's just nice when you get someone to look after that stuff."

#53 CopenhagenWing

CopenhagenWing

1st Line All-Star

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,247 posts

Posted 03 May 2010 - 02:06 PM

I fault the refs and the Sharks. I have no respect for a team that dives as much as they have and well I never respected NHL officials to begin with.

Because you've never seen a Red Wing trying to sell a call? Howard made a fool out of himself yesterday as much as Nabokov.

There's a way to curb the acting jobs, though. Call the embellishment only and slap the offender with an extra penalty for unsportsmanlike conduct. When the goalies do it, make them serve their own penalties and force their team to play a cold backup. I bet it is going to be a while before a goalie tries that again.

#54 GoWings1905

GoWings1905

Legend

• Gold Booster
  • 5,275 posts

Posted 03 May 2010 - 02:06 PM

How much diving is okay by you?

I know where you are going with this.

Setoguchi got away with multiple flops, same with Nabokov. Vlasic and Nichol sold it hardcore last night to draw penalties. I'm not a big fan of diving regardless, but the Sharks have been overly excessive in the first two games with their routine.

It is a pretty sad way to draw penalties (and win games as a result) and even more pathetic the refs have rewarded them for diving in two straight games.

#55 GoWings1905

GoWings1905

Legend

• Gold Booster
  • 5,275 posts

Posted 03 May 2010 - 02:11 PM

Because you've never seen a Red Wing trying to sell a call? Howard made a fool out of himself yesterday as much as Nabokov.

There's a way to curb the acting jobs, though. Call the embellishment only and slap the offender with an extra penalty for unsportsmanlike conduct. When the goalies do it, make them serve their own penalties and force their team to play a cold backup. I bet it is going to be a while before a goalie tries that again.

I never claimed the Red Wings don't dive. However, I have NEVER witnessed the Red Wings or any team sell as many calls as the Sharks have in these first two games.

Sure, Jimmy flopped but so did Nabokov twice and which team got penalized for it and which didn't? I don't care if they don't get Nabokov for diving in that case, but you sure as hell better whistle the Sharks for goaltender interference if you set the precedent earlier with the Bertuzzi call.

The Red Wings have never put together two consecutive games of blatant, over-the-top diving to draw penalties. Hell, maybe they should now since it has worked to perfection for the Sharks.

#56 micah

micah

Hall-of-Famer

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,345 posts

Posted 03 May 2010 - 02:14 PM

I know where you are going with this.

Setoguchi got away with multiple flops, same with Nabokov. Vlasic and Nichol sold it hardcore last night to draw penalties. I'm not a big fan of diving regardless, but the Sharks have been overly excessive in the first two games with their routine.

It is a pretty sad way to draw penalties (and win games as a result) and even more pathetic the refs have rewarded them for diving in two straight games.

I wasn't really going anywhere with it, I just thought that "dives as much as they have" was strangely phrased. I suspect that almost all hockey fans are opposed to diving and embelishing every time, regardless of culprit or game situation. I know I am. I certainly didn't mean to imply thatthe sharks were not guilty of some horrendous dives in game 2 - clearly more than the Wings - I wasn't. that said, I wouldn't be happy ifthe sharks came out for game 3 resolved to "dive less". I want zero tollerance on dives.

I'd like it if every player and every fan mocked every diver so bad that they started listening to the Smiths to cheer up, teammate or not - for the good of the game.

Edited by micah, 03 May 2010 - 02:29 PM.

"It was pretty interesting," said Detroit coach Mike Babcock. "We had May in exhibition for a couple of games and no one gets hacked or whacked. When we don't have him, we get run. We don't have a team that twists off helmets at stoppages. You get tired of seeing it all the time. It's just nice when you get someone to look after that stuff."

#57 GoWings1905

GoWings1905

Legend

• Gold Booster
  • 5,275 posts

Posted 03 May 2010 - 02:21 PM

I wasn't really going anywhere with it, I just thought that "dives as much as they have" was strangely phrased. I suspect that almost all hockey fans are opposed to diving and embelishing every time, regardless of culprit or game situation. I know I am. I certainly didn't mean to imply thatthe sharks were not guilty of some horrendous dives in game 2 - clearly more than the Wings - I wasn't. that said, I wouldn't be happy ifthe sharks came out for game 3 resolved to "dive less". I want zero tollerance on dives.

I'd like it if every player and every fan mocked every diver so bad that they started listening to the Smiths to cheer, teammate or not - for the good of the game.

Fair enough and very vaild points. Diving doesn't belong the game at all, and honestly one call against the Sharks in the first two games would have stopped it. Why not keep selling calls if the officials are letting you get away with it?

I expect the refs to do a poor job. I am just very surprised at the Sharks coming out in this series and diving so much. It has completely dictated the outcome of the first two games in their favor.

#58 micah

micah

Hall-of-Famer

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,345 posts

Posted 03 May 2010 - 02:34 PM

Fair enough and very vaild points. Diving doesn't belong the game at all, and honestly one call against the Sharks in the first two games would have stopped it. Why not keep selling calls if the officials are letting you get away with it?

I expect the refs to do a poor job. I am just very surprised at the Sharks coming out in this series and diving so much. It has completely dictated the outcome of the first two games in their favor.

I suspect that the refs will be watching the dives a bit more closely in game 3, I hope so anyway. I don't really blame them for not calling the dives, as they happen fast and savy divers know when they can get away with it and when they can't, but I'd prefer to see refs call no penalty whatsoever unless they're absolutley positive of what they saw. A guy falls down and it looks like he was tripped? No call. Let them play. If you didn't see the other player's stick clearly and purposefuly getting in between the guy's legs causing the fall, let it go. 10 non-cals are better than one penalty that shouldn't have been, at least to me.

#59 Barrie

Barrie

Legend

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,920 posts

Posted 03 May 2010 - 04:34 PM

I'd pay $10 to watch you say that to Don Cherry. His reaction would be epic. I assume it'd look like a scene from Scanners.

Yes that would be classic!
Lets Go:
Red Wings
Tigers
Roughriders
Lions
Spartans
Pistons

#60 Barrie

Barrie

Legend

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,920 posts

Posted 03 May 2010 - 04:39 PM

Agreed, I would be upset if the refs decided to clamp down on the diving in Game 3, after a team is down 2-0, because it should have been dealt with at the beginning of Game 2.
Lets Go:
Red Wings
Tigers
Roughriders
Lions
Spartans
Pistons