• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

Wings_Dynasty

Game 3 Officiating

Rate this topic

"HOLDING?!"

"Wow, really?"

Exactly what I thought when I saw it. Except the second thing was like when you see something that shouldn't exist in our universe (like a Mariah Carey movie) and you say "WOW, really?!

I HAD to give you a +1 for that.

Edited by MidMichSteve

Guest teef

i'm not sure about all the whining and crying going on in this thread. do you guys seriously think you got robbed by the refs? all i hear is complaints about non calls for diving. i haven't read a single legit post about how the refs made a bad call, missed a call or made a non call on the sharks. if anything, they were calling the sharks tighter than the wings to keep the disparity between the numbers more even. the truth is that the refs set the tone of the game with the slashing call on heatley, reinforced the rules with the two calls on big bird and clearly stated the nothing was going to be tolerated when they called boarding on marleau at the end of the first. the sharks realized this and adjusted their game while the wings didn't and went on to commit seven more penalties.

and what does your diving argument really do for the outcome of the games? if it's a dive, then there must have been a wing committing a penalty so the best case scenario would be offsetting minors. and don't be surprised if the refs call a diving penalty on the wings tomorrow just for all the whining they have been doing.

personally, i hope (and i wouldn't be surprised) that the refs call a game for the wings in game 3 or 4. all it's really going to do is expose the real problem for the wings in the series and that is their suspect special teams play.

i'm not sure about all the whining and crying going on in this thread. do you guys seriously think you got robbed by the refs? all i hear is complaints about non calls for diving. i haven't read a single legit post about how the refs made a bad call, missed a call or made a non call on the sharks. if anything, they were calling the sharks tighter than the wings to keep the disparity between the numbers more even. the truth is that the refs set the tone of the game with the slashing call on heatley, reinforced the rules with the two calls on big bird and clearly stated the nothing was going to be tolerated when they called boarding on marleau at the end of the first. the sharks realized this and adjusted their game while the wings didn't and went on to commit seven more penalties.

and what does your diving argument really do for the outcome of the games? if it's a dive, then there must have been a wing committing a penalty so the best case scenario would be offsetting minors. and don't be surprised if the refs call a diving penalty on the wings tomorrow just for all the whining they have been doing.

personally, i hope (and i wouldn't be surprised) that the refs call a game for the wings in game 3 or 4. all it's really going to do is expose the real problem for the wings in the series and that is their suspect special teams play.

wings have scored 2 goals on the power play

sharks have scored 4 and 2 have been on 5 on 3's, with probably close to 3 times as many man advantages

yes, real "suspect"

Oh golly gee, a Sharks fan just had to come here and tell us all how wrong we are. Whatever would we do without your stunning insight.

Guest mjtm77

Shut the f*** up Missed two highsticks and bert got called for skating by the goalie and Abby got called he did not do any thing. in the first game they called franzen for tripping

when his face was cut open. refs were fair

Edited by mjtm77

There is every reason to believe that the "conspiracy" or "bias" against Detroit is a series of painful coincidences connected, and amplified, by a minority of Red Wings fans who wear institutional scheming like a warm blanket to shelter them from Detroit's occasional failures as a team.

The officiating Sunday night was atrocious. It was unforgiveable. There have been a few instances in these playoffs in which the referees seemed as though they were getting paid by the ill-conceived penalty, and last night was one of them. Ten power plays for the San Jose Sharks in their 4-3 victory, and four for the Wings. It was an embarrassment.

Puck Daddy knows whats up..

Edited by 10 Minute Misconduct

Your an embarrassment to other shark fans. Seriously you cant seriously acknowledge that the Wings got hosed at least once, and one could make the argument for both games. Sure the Sharks had some calls go against them, but nothing compared to the Wings.The sharks are diving the wings have not and if I was a betting man the second that the wings do they will get an embelishing call.... mark it down

Guest teef

wings have scored 2 goals on the power play

sharks have scored 4 and 2 have been on 5 on 3's, with probably close to 3 times as many man advantages

yes, real "suspect"

in the series the sharks are 4/16(25%)pp & 5/6(84%)pk while the wings are 1/6(16%)pp & 8/16(75%)pk -- a swing of 9% in both areas and an obvious advantage to the sharks. not to say that one game couldn't turn those numbers completely or make them even more lopsided. the wings are the only ones to blame for giving the sharks so many opportunities.

Oh golly gee, a Sharks fan just had to come here and tell us all how wrong we are. Whatever would we do without your stunning insight.

so sorry if i was trying to have a hockey discussion :sarcasm:

edit: fixed the smiley

Edited by teef

I rarely get bitter when my favorite teams lose. Losing is a part of life in sports, it is inevitable sometimes, I rarely act mad or angry if my team itself plays like junk or whatever. Sometimes, you simply get beaten or outplayed.

However I cannot stand when officials in any sport are incompetent and play much more of a hand in a game result when they need to. I am a Wings fan, yes, but regardless last night's game was one of the worst officiated games I have seen in any sport in a long, long time. I usually don't get too high/low emotionally during games, but last night was the first time I yelled at my TV over and over again in god knows how long. I rarely lose my temper at sports. The Wings play had nothing to do with that. The officiating was downright AWFUL.

Just to get it out of the way first to show I'm not acting like a complete homer, penalty calls on Marleau for "boarding" and whatever Heatley did were pretty piss poor, and there is no conspiracy or people out to get the Wings or whatever. But Bertuzzi had 2 or 3 penalties for essentially playing hockey (basically saying I have no clue what he did to deserve penalties), there were plenty of other bogus calls all around.

Plus, your team flopped around like a bunch of fish last game. The amount of diving the Sharks got away with was absurd. You all should consider yourselves lucky you won last game with the amount of flopping around you got away with and how incompetent the officials were overall.

If the Sharks beat the Red Wings, fine. All I ask for is for officials to not play a larger hand than necessary in determining a game. Last night, they did not. They didn't even come close.

If you want to call me bitter from this, have at it. I'm very bitter at the officiating being total rubbish last night, not at the Red Wings losing.

Edited by SouthernWingsFan

Guest teef

Shut the f*** up Missed two highsticks and bert got called for skating by the goalie and Abby got called he did not do any thing. in the first game they called franzen for tripping

when his face was cut open. refs were fair

did you read the post? i acknowledged that both calls on big bert were suspect calls. franzen getting cut in the face was a direct result of him tripping setoguchi. hypothetical: would setoguchi turned around and hit franzen in the face had he not been tripped?

Your an embarrassment to other shark fans. Seriously you cant seriously acknowledge that the Wings got hosed at least once, and one could make the argument for both games. Sure the Sharks had some calls go against them, but nothing compared to the Wings.The sharks are diving the wings have not and if I was a betting man the second that the wings do they will get an embelishing call.... mark it down

more of the same. a diving call only creates offsetting minors. could you guarantee that we wouldn't have scored 4-4 or 4-5 rather than 5-3?

in the series the sharks are 4/16(25%)pp & 5/6(84%)pk while the wings are 1/6(16%)pp & 8/16(75%)pk -- a swing of 9% in both areas and an obvious advantage to the sharks. not to say that one game couldn't turn those numbers completely or make them even more lopsided. the wings are the only ones to blame for giving the sharks so many opportunities.

so sorry if i was trying to have a hockey discussion:sarcasm:

a swing of 9% due to the difference in power play time, correct?

and no, the wings are not the only ones to blame. horrible officiating is part of it.

did you read the post? i acknowledged that both calls on big bert were suspect calls. franzen getting cut in the face was a direct result of him tripping setoguchi. hypothetical: would setoguchi turned around and hit franzen in the face had he not been tripped?

more of the same. a diving call only creates offsetting minors. could you guarantee that we wouldn't have scored 4-4 or 4-5 rather than 5-3?

sharks are 2-3 on 2-man advantages and the 3rd was really short

shark are what maybe 2-10 off the top of my head on 5 on 4 power plays?

guarantee, no...but the way detroit was killing off penalties last night i don't think they would have.

so sorry if i was trying to have a hockey discussion:sarcasm:

So coming to a Red Wings message board and saying that members of said board are "whining and crying" is sarcasm? Really now?

What edition of the OED are you using?

Guest teef

I rarely get bitter when my favorite teams lose. Losing is a part of life in sports, it is inevitable sometimes, I rarely act mad or angry if my team itself plays like junk or whatever. Sometimes, you simply get beaten or outplayed.

However I cannot stand when officials in any sport are incompetent and play much more of a hand in a game result when they need to. I am a Wings fan, yes, but regardless last night's game was one of the worst officiated games I have seen in any sport in a long, long time. I usually don't get too high/low emotionally during games, but last night was the first time I yelled at my TV over and over again in god knows how long. I rarely lose my temper at sports. The Wings play had nothing to do with that. The officiating was downright AWFUL.

Just to get it out of the way first to show I'm not acting like a complete homer, penalty calls on Marleau for "boarding" and whatever Heatley did were pretty piss poor, and there is no conspiracy or people out to get the Wings or whatever. But Bertuzzi had 2 or 3 penalties for essentially playing hockey (basically saying I have no clue what he did to deserve penalties), there were plenty of other bogus calls all around.

Plus, your team flopped around like a bunch of fish last game. The amount of diving the Sharks got away with was absurd. You all should consider yourselves lucky you won last game with the amount of flopping around you got away with and how incompetent the officials were overall.

i don't deny that the game was poorly officiated, i have noted several times that the both of big birds penalties shouldn't have been called. truth is there were an equal number of bad calls both ways, i scored it 4 on the wings and 3 on the sharks. the wings insisted on committing more penalties and falling into the same rhythm again and again after being reminded by the refs.

and i'm not sure how a player would be called for diving when he's being crossed checked into the side of his own net or into the goal post. the one true dive would be the setoguchi/franzen high stick in game 1. but go back and watch the play again. if seto doesn't have that much momentum going, chances are the incident doesn't occur at all and no call is made. it's the speed he was carrying past franzen that made the play end up like it did.

Sorry, I just don't care to watch the replay especially of a game that was so poorly reffed. I don't play hockey and I already know how pitiful the Sharks diving was. It cannot be that challenging to stay on your feet/skates most the time.

Guest teef
Here is my complaint. Red Wing fans have become Michigan football fans. They never lose games; officials take it from them. I will give you this. I saw the Sharks dive and I saw shaky calls against the Wings. But here is something I saw that you didn't. There were shaky calls against the Sharks also.

I just get tired of the same cry after every Red Wings playoff loss. You always blame officials. You always believe the NHL wants the Wings to lose. Fans always want to let the Red Wings off the hook. Here is a dirty little secret nobody wants to hear. The Red Wings played dumb hockey. They slashed and tripped and played like knuckleheads. Was I the only one to see that?

Terry Foster - Detroit News

this is the michigan media talking here. illustrate the point i'm trying to get across to a T.

DUH OF COURSE IT WOULD BE HARDER FOR THE SHARKS TO SCORE ON 2 4 ON 4'S INSTEAD OF 5 ON 3.

BY THE WAY GO FIND THE POST ON THIS SITE ABOUT THE SETODIVER CALL. THE PICTURE CLEARLY SHOWS HIM LEAVING HIS FEET BEFORE FRANZEN EVEN MAKES CONTACT

Edited by matt198913

I think with the way you've got some of the media calling it as the black and white that it is there will be some changes. Pierre McGuire was on NHL Home Ice this morning. He said he was embarrassed by the number of calls against the Wings as well as the phantom calls. He said the Wings have just had some bad luck and bad calls but are no where near out of the series. I agree.

so sorry if i was trying to have a hockey discussion :sarcasm:

edit: fixed the smiley

I don't know any other way to state this, but you're full of crap.

If the Red Wings got ten powerplays in one game, your attitude would be completely different. The Sharks got handed game two and even to a lesser extent game one as well.

It is easy to say "quit whining, you deserved the calls" when EVERY call in this series has gone in your favor. The best complement I can give you is your team is really tremendous at diving. :thumbup:

Edited by GoWings1905

this is the michigan media talking here. illustrate the point i'm trying to get across to a T.

You don't know what you're talking about. Terry Foster is one of the biggest morons in the Michigan media who should just stick to basketball. And even when it comes to that he's still a huge moron.

I'd feel content.

Eye for an eye.

In fact I'm expecting it, and if it doesn't happen I'll go to Don Corleone for justice.

Recently read a book about Gordie Howe entitled "9". It was stated that back in the 1960's,the league president (Clarence Campbell) sent out a secret memo to all officials that the home team receive more powerplay time.This came from an official during that era.

No way the current commish would ever perpetrate such a heinous directive. :sly:

Nice selective reading there. You want us to provide 20 articles going the other direction? Besides, you picked an article from one of the biggest morons in the Detroit media whom I rarely hear saying anything good about Detroit teams anyways.

Also, Franzen never touched Setoguchi. The high stick happened before Setoguchi made "contact" with Franzen (he actually more likely took a dive knowing him). Setoguchi being off balance had no influence on his stick hitting Franzen in the face. Even so, high sticking should get called every time. A player has to control his stick - there is no gray area for that penalty being given out.

Your point on diving is laughable too. You are basically admitting the Sharks dive and have been rewarded for it. Diving doesn't always have to be called with another penalty, in fact it shouldn't ever despite what happens in most cases. The Sharks flop, fall down after barely getting touched, and dive to get calls. For a "big, tough North American team", they sure do hit the ice pretty easily. Both 5-on-3's the Sharks received were a joke and completely shifted the outcome of both games. It was a momentum swing that never happens if the refs call the "penalty" and diving. You can sing your tune however you like, but anyone that watched game two (outside of the homer Sharks fans) realizes the Sharks got handed a win.