• Please log in to reply
23 replies to this topic

#21 CenterIce

CenterIce

1st Line All-Star

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,989 posts

Posted 03 May 2010 - 08:57 PM

Mike Leggo is the ref that overruled the closer ref's no-goal call when he thought Ott's shootout attempt was over the line, causing the "inconclusive" video evidence to fall back to a good goal. That's only one regular season game, but I was pretty mad at him.

That was the same game where there were multiple high sticks right in front of the refs, and obvious goaltender interference on the Stars' tying goal.

Actually, I think they went with the call of the linesman on that one.

#22 Datsyuk Fan

Datsyuk Fan

Prospect

• 44 posts

Posted 03 May 2010 - 09:18 PM

Actually, I think they went with the call of the linesman on that one.

I think I read it was Leggo and one of the linesmen. Regardless, I don't really think that one call puts him on the level of O'Halloran, LaRue, and Watson. I was just throwing him out there.

#23 Uncle Danny

Uncle Danny

2nd Line Scorer

• HoF Booster
  • 679 posts

Posted 04 May 2010 - 12:26 AM

As the commissioner, Bettman is at least partially responsible for ensuring the quality of the officials and the integrity of the game.

Yes, you're right. I now blame Obama for that horribly slow line at the DMV I had to endure last week. I stand corrected.
If I should ever die, God forbid, let this be my epitaph:
THE ONLY PROOF HE NEEDED
FOR THE EXISTENCE OF GOD
WAS MUSIC
-- Kurt Vonnegut

#24 Datsyuk Fan

Datsyuk Fan

Prospect

• 44 posts

Posted 04 May 2010 - 08:57 AM

Yes, you're right. I now blame Obama for that horribly slow line at the DMV I had to endure last week. I stand corrected.

I know there's no conspiracy and I know that the bad call weren't directly Bettman's fault. But part of the commissioner's job is "...protecting the integrity of the game of professional hockey and preserving public confidence in the League." (from the NHL constitution). He's also responsible for selecting the officials and establish policies for interpreting and enforcing the rules.

If you replace Obama with the Secretary of State (or whoever is in charge of the DMV in your state), your analogy would be more correct, and yes, you could (partially) blame him/her for the horribly slow lines.

Basically, what I'm saying is that when someone says, "f*** you Bettman", that doesn't imply that there's a league-wide conspiracy to screw over the Red Wings (that would be stupid), it just means that he needs to do a better job at handling the league and the quality of the officiating.