• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

Sign in to follow this  
Echolalia

Street hockey puck/ball

Rate this topic

I'm looking for a puck/ball that I can use on an outdoor surface (ie asphalt or concrete) that best simulates what an ice hockey puck feels and moves like on the ice. After doing a bit of research I've found the propuck, fly puck, and smart hockey ball seem to be good candidates and I was hoping to get some opinions on these brands as well as any others you folks may have tried out. I want to be able to stickhandle, pass, and shoot (hard) so it needs to be durable.

Thanks for the help gang

also, I don't know if this is in the right forum but it is technically hockey related so I'm hoping it can stay here.

Edited by Echolalia

That's what I've been using these past several weeks when my boys, and I go out to play.

Ugh, I can't stand the way the stick tends to roll over the top of the ball. Handling those things is anything but crisp. Normally I use a typical street hockey ball that's filled with fluid and has a hard exterior (that's what she said) but I get so used to how that handles that when I go to ice hockey and work with a puck I need a couple games to readjust.

Ugh, I can't stand the way the stick tends to roll over the top of the ball. Handling those things is anything but crisp. Normally I use a typical street hockey ball that's filled with fluid and has a hard exterior (that's what she said) but I get so used to how that handles that when I go to ice hockey and work with a puck I need a couple games to readjust.

Giggity.

Flypuck isn't something you'd want to play a game with. It's intended as a puckhandling training tool, same with the smarthockey ball.

Don't know if I'd shoot either of them. Propucks aren't horrible, a lot better than those old RHI jofa pucks.

If you're going to actually play, use a propuck-if you're just working on stickhandling, go with the other two.

Guest Lidstromboli

man, tennis balls are awesome. i have a Sakic-esque wrist shot with them. sometimes i see scouts driving down the street trying to get a look

you made me lol...I hear what your saying about the redjusting period but havent found anything that works either!Is there anyway to coat an actual puck with anything so its slippery? (that reminds me of stepbrothers lol :blush: )

Edited by 13dangledangle

One of my coaches told me the most "real" ice hockey feeling you can get is stuffing a whiffle ball full of tennis ball shreds. I never tried it because it seemed like too much work and an idiotic thing to say.

Yeah - the handling does suck with a tennis ball - however I don't mind if my 2 year old doesn't :P

I find it pretty hard to replicate the puck handling with a puck on ice to that of a ball on concrete/asphalt...I do know those funky orange hard balls that are meant for roller hockey are some of the better options available.

By boys I thought you meant your pals, not your actual boys... whoops

While we're at it, does anyone know of a brand of stick that's durable on concrete? I always end up using my wood hockey sticks and they get torn to shreds in like two weeks.

Edited by Echolalia

One of my coaches told me the most "real" ice hockey feeling you can get is stuffing a whiffle ball full of tennis ball shreds. I never tried it because it seemed like too much work and an idiotic thing to say.

That actually makes sense. You would retain the 'slickness' of a wiffle ball, while adding the weight and 'bounce' of a puck. I'm gonna try that!

The cheap plastic blades that are made for street hockey are the best sticks for the driveway. They last a while but do wear down over time. Be sure to get a real hard one not a flimsy blade. Not sure how well they actually replicate ice, but with these sticks you can use any ball (even a tennis ball, and dont have to worry about the annoying friction-roll).

I've always hated playing with any kind of puck on a driveway surface, always seem to jump up and roll on its side, etc. Thats just me.

That wiffle ball trick sounds interesting, but I feel like you'd be constantly stuffing shards of tennis ball back inside it after every shot.

The cheap plastic blades that are made for street hockey are the best sticks for the driveway. They last a while but do wear down over time. Be sure to get a real hard one not a flimsy blade. Not sure how well they actually replicate ice, but with these sticks you can use any ball (even a tennis ball, and dont have to worry about the annoying friction-roll).

I've always hated playing with any kind of puck on a driveway surface, always seem to jump up and roll on its side, etc. Thats just me.

That wiffle ball trick sounds interesting, but I feel like you'd be constantly stuffing shards of tennis ball back inside it after every shot.

It's a trade-off, either you'll get something that jumps onto an edge and rolls, or picks up a rolling spin and jumps over your stickblade.

I've never liked playing with a hockey ball, just too easy to get under it and launch it vertically.

Been playing roller off and on since college and so far the best street puck I've come across is that ProPuck. Something about how those sliders that close to the edge seem to minimize the plasticky rubber vinyl polyurethane whatever catching on a bump and wheeling under a nearby car.

Guest DatsyukianDeke13

Easton ABS blade is the best for street hockey. Mine lasted for 3 months (playing 3-5 times a week)

We just use balls you can get from Dicks. Haven't found anything better. I wish we could find a puck that didnt roll over.

I retired from Road hockey 2 years ago after multiple shots to the crotch. It was an emotional goodbye, but I'd like to have kids one day so it had to be done.

Easton ABS blade is the best for street hockey. Mine lasted for 3 months (playing 3-5 times a week)

We just use balls you can get from Dicks. Haven't found anything better. I wish we could find a puck that didnt roll over.

Thank God for context.

When I play outdoors, I usually use a very hard plastic ball. I'm lucky my old neighborhood has a professional outdoor roller hockey rink (benches, nets, doors, boards, smooth, hard concrete), so when I'm there and don't want to use the ball, I've switched up between a roller-ballbearing disk and the hard plastic ball. I can't remember the brand of the balls we use, but in my opinion you want the hardest plastic as possible. WARNING: We play with SOME protective gear (shin guards, cup, gloves, helmet. That plastic ball or ballbearing disk stings like hell (I play defense so blocking shots SUCKS).