• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

Sign in to follow this  
Grypho

Game 3 Playing Style Matchups

Rate this topic

I'm going to paint with a broad brush right now.

I could be wrong, but for as much as Detroit and San Jose have similar playing styles overall, I think each of our teams essentially brought the playing style that worked for them in the last series into Round 2. The Wings/Yotes series was hard hitting and intensely physical, with the superior talent and depth of the Wings winning out in the end. The Sharks/Avs series centered around speed and control, especially in the neutral zone, with the Avs schooling us very early on, and the Sharks adjusting accordingly, also early on.

Now comes Game 3. Bad officiating notwithstanding, what adjustments do you think each team will make? Regardless of actual success or outcomes, what changes do you expect each team to implement or attempt going into that game?

SHARKS

The Sharks know that they're heading into extremely hostile territory, facing a crowd loaded with angry fans who feel robbed, and a hungry team that will be playing with extraordinary intensity and desperation. They will NOT want, above all else, for the Wings to get on the board first, or to establish any momentum early on, especially given the very real power of that "sixth player", the crowd, whom they will want very much to take out of the game early on. It would be simplistic to say that they'll be sprinting out of the gate, as both teams will try to do that.

The Sharks know that despite more puck time, and more shots on net, the Wings' have a way of making their scoring chances count.

PENALTY FACTOR: Bettman said that the refs are to call the games exactly as they are called in the regular season, and bad calls/non-calls aside, it should be clear by now to both teams that they aren't putting their whistles away any time soon, and I don't expect that to start at the Joe. But I also don't expect that the penalty-drawing-minded Sharks will let up on that count. I do believe they will be strictly warned by McLellan not to embellish, because I do foresee at least one diving call (against EITHER team) this time -- just to make an example of someone and to establish that it won't be tolerated. But I don't think it will be a close call. They'll be looking for a real bona fide diving stunt that is obvious to the casual observer, and not just a move that a homer fan would cry foul over.

It is a Shark signature M.O. to try to draw as many real penalties as possible, by creating enough frenzy, confusion and danger close to the net, as almost a target to the other team's less disciplined players, to get them to lose their composure and make more mistakes. That will continue, I am sure.

WINGS

Despite the bad reffing and non-calls, the Wings took at least twice as many penalties as the Sharks (of the ones that nobody here found controversial). Watching Game 2, I did NOT expect that. I DO expect the discipline factor from Detroit to be tightened up considerably going into Game 3, and if that happens, watch out Sharks. Likewise, if the Wings manage to get San Jose firmly on the frenzied defensive, the penalty-drawing tables could turn, because the Sharks are not without players that lose their composure as well.

I also expect the Wings to be playing much less defense, with far more chance taking offensively. They will chase down, challenge and pressure more players with pucks, regardless of immediate possession, than they did in either of the first two games. And that's going to require hundreds of short bursts of increased speed -- which the Wings do have in their arsenal.

In short, I see the same SPEED adjustment for the Wings that the Sharks had to make against the Avs. I also foresee a wide open neutral zone if that happens, given that I believe both teams will be crashing right through it, not trying to control or establish presence in the neutral so much as making it a crash-through-with-quick-passes non-factor, so that they can get the puck deep and fight for possession in the other team's zone.

...and that, I think, if it happens, should make for some spectacular, fast motion, back and forth highlight reel playoff hockey.

Realistically, all fantasies and wishful thinking aside (as well as outcomes, this is not for scoring predictions), how do you foresee the tempo, style, adjustments, etc., for Game 3?

Guest DatsyukianDeke13

I don't know how many adjustments necessarily need to be made. Without the penalty calls, the Wings would be up 2-0. A common misconception is that the Sharks are badly outplaying Detroit. The Wings have just had terrible breaks (i.e. Lidstrom's stick breaking leading to the game winning goal). As long as the refs let them play and the Sharks don't put on the pathetic dive fest, the Wings will win. The only adjustment I can think of making is putting someone else on Pavelski.

PENALTY KILL

An immediate change I would make would be on the Penalty Kill. I would take the front PK'er and get on top of Pavelski. The guy is single handedly killing us on the PK. I know the forward's job in a diamond/square PK is to try to take away passing lanes, but all the Sharks are doing is throwing the puck back to Pavelski for a hard slapper from the blue line. I would want the forward to be more aggresive (yes, I know it opens up the center of the ice if Pavelski is able to make the pass, but it's a calculated risk. The 3 PK'ers down low are doing fine. Someone needs to rush Pavelski, make him a second or third choice instead of the default power play shooting option.

BLOCKING SHOTS

Detroit needs to be careful blocking shots, especially fakes. If they get duped, that entire quadrant is free for the power play shooter to skate in to the slot. Some may disagree about being agressive at the point, but we have to change it up. Maybe a hard press half the time, keep Pavelski on his toes. If not, I have a feeling he'll break the 2-goals a game in a row record that he currently shares with Super Mario.

POSITIONING

They need to focus on positioning and getting beat to the puck. I know it's a vicious cycle: Take a penalty, have to PK, too tired to attack, rinse and repeat. They need to keep moving their legs and beating the Sharks to the puck. I know that's Hockey 101, but it's AS CRUCIAL as winning face offs.

Guest mjtm77

PENALTY KILL

An immediate change I would make would be on the Penalty Kill. I would take the front PK'er and get on top of Pavelski. The guy is single handedly killing us on the PK. I know the forward's job in a diamond/square PK is to try to take away passing lanes, but all the Sharks are doing is throwing the puck back to Pavelski for a hard slapper from the blue line. I would want the forward to be more aggresive (yes, I know it opens up the center of the ice if Pavelski is able to make the pass, but it's a calculated risk. The 3 PK'ers down low are doing fine. Someone needs to rush Pavelski, make him a second or third choice instead of the default power play shooting option.

BLOCKING SHOTS

Detroit needs to be careful blocking shots, especially fakes. If they get duped, that entire quadrant is free for the power play shooter to skate in to the slot. Some may disagree about being agressive at the point, but we have to change it up. Maybe a hard press half the time, keep Pavelski on his toes. If not, I have a feeling he'll break the 2-goals a game in a row record that he currently shares with Super Mario.

POSITIONING

They need to focus on positioning and getting beat to the puck. I know it's a vicious cycle: Take a penalty, have to PK, too tired to attack, rinse and repeat. They need to keep moving their legs and beating the Sharks to the puck. I know that's Hockey 101, but it's AS CRUCIAL as winning face offs.

Yep