• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

going_top_shelf

OHL Player lays out opposing goalie

Rate this topic

I think that was hilarious. It's funny to see goalies get hit every once in a while. They get projectiles coming at them at 90+ mph, I think they can handle a bodycheck every now and then.

Small puck...

200 pound hockey player...

Hmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmm

Small puck...

200 pound hockey player...

Hmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmm

exactly.

not to mention they expect the puck... that was one of the worst rationalizations ever...

It's not a rationalization at all. First of all, the force is dispersed over a much greater area when you get checked than when a puck hits you. 2nd, it doesn't ******* hurt to get hit. If you think it does, you're a ***** and have no business playing hockey, goalie or not. And I'm not saying that to get a rise out of anyone, I'm saying that because I believe it. Goalies are hockey players too. They're not supposed to get hit, and I fully support any act of on-ice retribution handed out to anyone who hits a goalie, but to act like it's dangerous or some heinous act is just stupid. Sometimes message-sending is good. It's always fun to watch.

Guest Blackhawkdown

I still think if a goalie wants to come out of his crease and "play" he is fair game. All rules concerning hits should apply.

I totally agree with this.

Umm people that want goalies to be fair game need to understand why goalies aren't allowed to be hit. The goaltending equipment does not allow them the movement that regular players have and that impacts their ability to protect themselves by avoiding contact. Now if you just want to stop goalies from playing the puck then just say it. But letting them get hit would be a major mistake.

Dirty play obviously and deserves maybe a game plus a punch in the face but come on people. Banned from the league? Really people, its playoff hockey youre losing you try to knock the other team(or goalie) off their game however you can. Goalies have been getting ran from the dawn of hockey, its just the fans (this site for example) have gotten softer. Let the defense man take care of it, not the league.

I still think if a goalie wants to come out of his crease and "play" he is fair game. All rules concerning hits should apply.

Goalies are neither taught/trained to give or take hits - nor do they wear protective equipment for that purpose.

I play goal in the UK and have been hit before by a team mate in practice who was goofing around and because I landed on my back, with no protection, and hit the back of my mask on the ice - no protection either, I was out of hockey for a month.

Goalie equipment is designed to stop pucks from the front only, and masks are the same also, they are not helmets that give you all round protection.

However - there is a fine line between protecting goalies who come wandering out of their crease, and saying they are fair game - and that is certainly a ruling that should be looked at more closely.

Archibald's actions were obvious: he wanted to send a message to the Spitfires for the next game (Windsor changed goaltenders before the next whistle, just in case someone else on the Colts wanted to try to send the same message again).

Here's a message: your team had the second highest points total in OHL history, you have home-ice advantage in this final and you might get swept if you lose tonight. And, thanks to G3, you and your team look like fools.

Guest Blackhawkdown

I dont think players should be allowed to take an all out run at the goaltender, but if he is out of the crease then he shoul;d be fair game to an extint. Its like a QB in football, once the QB decides to take off and run with the ball, he should be treated like a running back. I understand protecting goalies and QB's, but if they choose to leave their respected "safe zones" and decide to get into the middle of the action, then they shouldnt be treated as if they are these fragile beings. They have a choice as to whether they put themselves in harms way, and once they do they should be fair game. However, like I said, players shouldnt be allowed to take ridiculous shots at them, but if they do get hit with an "average" hit, it should be allowed.

I dont think players should be allowed to take an all out run at the goaltender, but if he is out of the crease then he shoul;d be fair game to an extint. Its like a QB in football, once the QB decides to take off and run with the ball, he should be treated like a running back. I understand protecting goalies and QB's, but if they choose to leave their respected "safe zones" and decide to get into the middle of the action, then they shouldnt be treated as if they are these fragile beings. They have a choice as to whether they put themselves in harms way, and once they do they should be fair game. However, like I said, players shouldnt be allowed to take ridiculous shots at them, but if they do get hit with an "average" hit, it should be allowed.

I would like that, the refs could give charging penalties if they got hit too hard.

You're missing the point. The QB in football is wearing the same equipment as the other players that would hit him.

A hockey goalie just doesn't have the movement to be able to protect himself like the other players.

Dirty play obviously and deserves maybe a game plus a punch in the face but come on people. Banned from the league? Really people, its playoff hockey youre losing you try to knock the other team(or goalie) off their game however you can. Goalies have been getting ran from the dawn of hockey, its just the fans (this site for example) have gotten softer. Let the defense man take care of it, not the league.

I agree. Running the goalie isn't that uncommon of a strategy, although this incident was pretty obvious. It's a dangerous play because of the goalie's protection (particularly the helmet), but it isn't that big of a deal IMO. He deserves a game at most from the league (in addition to a pat on the back from his teammates and a punch in the face from the other team), but the OHL has been handing out some pretty hefty suspensions lately so I expect more.

What a gutless play... round of applause for the teammate for instantly dropping the mitts and cracking him pretty good with some solid shots...

I beleive there's a time and a place for dropping the gloves right away and laying waste --- and this was that time and place. Game's already decided and the goalie gets charged. Better to unleash hell right away because it's the ONLY time you can legitimately claim "heat of the moment" as a defence.

Saskatoon had their goalie charged late in a game against Red Deer earlier in the WHL playoffs and they waited until after the Red Deer guy got a major penalty, and then the next faceoff to start a line brawl. The dub fined and suspended four Blades to one Rebel, including the Saskatoon coach. That's NOT the way to do it.

I love Dunnick's reaction, he didn't even think, just out of reflex he goes over and starts whaling on Archibald. I say protect the goalies in the trapezoid, but if they leave it make them fair game.