#21 cusimano_brothers

cusimano_brothers

Legend

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,610 posts

Posted 04 May 2010 - 07:43 AM

It should be pointed out that:
1) Barrie was losing 5-2 when this happened
2) It happened with 40 seconds left in the game.

"Mess up tomorrow, don't mess up now".

- Harry James Benson, CBE.

#22 ManLuv4Clears

ManLuv4Clears

Tough As Nails

• Gold Booster
  • 594 posts

Posted 04 May 2010 - 07:44 AM

I must be the only one that doesn't see the huge deal here. Yes, he's a ****** for doing what he did, should have gotten his ass kicked and all that, but some are suggesting he should be kicked out of hockey?? If he had hit a defenseman it would have been a good clean hit, probably wouldn't have even knocked him down. The goalie was not hurt in anyway whatsoever.

Let's be clear, I don't think it was a clean play that should go unpunished, but if this happened in the NHL, I'm guessing he would have gotten his ass kicked, but only a 2 min penalty on the actual contact with the goalie....not an indefinite suspension (by the way, I think there were other things going on that played into the suspension).

Couldn't agree with this post more. Penalty and maybe a one game suspension just because it's the way hockey is governed these days. It shows how much this sport and it's fan base has changed, running a goalie wasn't that uncommon of an occurrence 20 years ago.

#23 Grypho

Grypho

Sharks Fan

• HoF Booster
  • 487 posts

Posted 04 May 2010 - 07:46 AM

This is why I'm such a bad man. See, I wanted Lebda to absolutely run Nabby in game 2. My thoughts were..."you wanna see goalie interference? here's some goalie interference for ya"....

Yeah? Just turn that around for a second, and imagine how you'd feel and what would happen if Murray pulled a freight train collision like that on Howard.

I wouldn't even be asking for a penalty for the third, fourth, fifth man in, execution by dogpile, etc., I would throw Murray or anyone else under a bus, thinking, "You asked for it, moron."

Owen Nolan did that once as a Shark. I wasf****** livid, and happy to see that a lot of fans were too.

In game 1 of this series I laughed when Howard got sprayed by Thornton. Then I thought about it afterward, putting Nabby in his place, with Zetterberg throwing out the spray. Not so funny then. Thornton took a punch to the left side of his face for that, and how could whoever threw that punch be faulted?

I'm really old fashioned about that kind of stuff. Goaltenders are sacred cows. You don't spray them, rush them, ram them, deliberately aim for their masks...unless he's a complete ******* of course, and thinks it's OK to do in reverse.

#24 HOCKEY MATTERS

HOCKEY MATTERS

Nearly invisible now........you smell that?

• HoF Booster
  • 2,401 posts

Posted 04 May 2010 - 07:51 AM

Yeah? Just turn that around for a second, and imagine how you'd feel and what would happen if Murray pulled a freight train collision like that on Howard.

I wouldn't even be asking for a penalty for the third, fourth, fifth man in, execution by dogpile, etc., I would throw Murray or anyone else under a bus, thinking, "You asked for it, moron."

Owen Nolan did that once as a Shark. I wasf****** livid, and happy to see that a lot of fans were too.

In game 1 of this series I laughed when Howard got sprayed by Thornton. Then I thought about it afterward, putting Nabby in his place, with Zetterberg throwing out the spray. Not so funny then. Thornton took a punch to the left side of his face for that, and how could whoever threw that punch be faulted?

I'm really old fashioned about that kind of stuff. Goaltenders are sacred cows. You don't spray them, rush them, ram them, deliberately aim for their masks...unless he's a complete ******* of course, and thinks it's OK to do in reverse.

I was referring to the 2 "interference" calls in game 2. I thought Nabby's balance was exceptionally off. Not his fault that the zebras made the calls, and I certainly didn't want to see him hurt, but if the Wings have to take weak calls like that.....

Edited by HOCKEY MATTERS, 04 May 2010 - 07:52 AM.

half the world is nuts...and the other half is crazy
"You can't chew yesterdays' breakfast." Jim Leyland
Drawing on my fine command of language, I said nothing.

Alternative to Google tracking you.... http://duckduckgo.com/

#25 hellsson

hellsson

Ouch!!

• 46 posts

Posted 04 May 2010 - 08:18 AM

I must be the only one that doesn't see the huge deal here. Yes, he's a ****** for doing what he did, should have gotten his ass kicked and all that, but some are suggesting he should be kicked out of hockey?? If he had hit a defenseman it would have been a good clean hit, probably wouldn't have even knocked him down. The goalie was not hurt in anyway whatsoever.

Let's be clear, I don't think it was a clean play that should go unpunished, but if this happened in the NHL, I'm guessing he would have gotten his ass kicked, but only a 2 min penalty on the actual contact with the goalie....not an indefinite suspension (by the way, I think there were other things going on that played into the suspension).

I agree and have to say that the majority of that hit was taken by the glass. He barely hit him and the Goalie flew threw the air like the guy dropped a grenade at the dudes feet. BS move, but the goalie is a ****** too. I know its part of the game but I hate Diving. It reminds me too much of Basketball or worse yet Soccer. Maybe the goalie needed Spray bottle and Magic sponge after that "hit".

#26 13dangledangle

13dangledangle

1st Line All-Star

• Silver Booster
  • 1,797 posts

Posted 04 May 2010 - 08:26 AM

I know it will never happen but I have always wanted goalies to be able to play the whereever but be able to hit/get :rolleyes: I would really enjoy that! Kinda like Hextall style but cleaner
....Ladies and Gentlemen Jimmy "F%$*ing" Howard.

#27 F.Michael

F.Michael

Old School Dynamic Duo

• HoF Booster
  • 7,523 posts

Posted 04 May 2010 - 09:15 AM

I wouldn't be too surprised to see him in a Ducks jersey 2 years from now.

'Evolution' created by Offsides

#28 stevkrause

stevkrause

Legend

• Bronze Booster
  • 5,236 posts

Posted 04 May 2010 - 09:18 AM

I wouldn't be too surprised to see him in a Ducks jersey 2 years from now.

Burke isn't the GM there anymore... don't you mean Toronto?

or, even though it's not Burke, more fitting... don't you mean Philly?

All I have to say about Holland and our off-season:

Here in this thread

Here in this one as well

Here in this one too

and finally

Here

Holland is a damn good GM. period.

#29 F.Michael

F.Michael

Old School Dynamic Duo

• HoF Booster
  • 7,523 posts

Posted 04 May 2010 - 09:19 AM

It should be pointed out that:
1) Barrie was losing 5-2 when this happened
2) It happened with 40 seconds left in the game.

Bob Probert would've done the same thing back in the 80's.

With the rules the way they are today these incidents are more dramatic than ever; years ago it was the norm.

Burke isn't the GM there anymore... don't you mean Toronto?

or, even though it's not Burke, more fitting... don't you mean Philly?

I stand corrected.

'Evolution' created by Offsides

#30 Ram

Ram

Goose

• Bronze Booster
  • 757 posts

Posted 04 May 2010 - 09:29 AM

http://deadspin.com/5529844/a-hockey-trucking-to-end-all-hockey-truckings

What do you guys think?

I would have tackled that dooshbag instead of just fighting him. Grapple punches. What a clown

"Hey @Datsyuk13 really bro? On my bday...cmonnnn.. Someone fix that ice in the corner.." - @logancouture

#31 RyanK

RyanK

4th Line Grinder

• PipPip
  • 327 posts

Posted 04 May 2010 - 09:34 AM

Loved it!

#32 seeinred

seeinred

Teemu!

• HoF Booster
  • 7,812 posts

Posted 04 May 2010 - 09:47 AM

I think that was hilarious. It's funny to see goalies get hit every once in a while. They get projectiles coming at them at 90+ mph, I think they can handle a bodycheck every now and then.

Posted Image

Crosby's Bettman Real Doll is going to get quite a workout tonight.

#33 wingfan13

wingfan13

2nd Line Scorer

• PipPipPip
  • 581 posts

Posted 04 May 2010 - 10:17 AM

Brad Watson just called: two minutes on the goalie for diving

:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: and a high stick on the goalie also.
"Fat, drunk and stupid is no way to go through life son"  Dean Wormer, Animal House

#34 Doc Holliday

Doc Holliday

LGW's impromptu Photoshopper

• Silver Booster
  • 4,337 posts

Posted 04 May 2010 - 10:32 AM

I think that was hilarious. It's funny to see goalies get hit every once in a while. They get projectiles coming at them at 90+ mph, I think they can handle a bodycheck every now and then.

Small puck...

200 pound hockey player...

Hmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmm

Posted Image

#35 stevkrause

stevkrause

Legend

• Bronze Booster
  • 5,236 posts

Posted 04 May 2010 - 10:37 AM

Small puck...

exactly.

not to mention they expect the puck... that was one of the worst rationalizations ever...

All I have to say about Holland and our off-season:

Here in this thread

Here in this one as well

Here in this one too

and finally

Here

Holland is a damn good GM. period.

#36 Red Wings 2010

Red Wings 2010

Top Prospect

• Pip
  • 85 posts

Posted 04 May 2010 - 11:22 AM

What a piece of s***. You can tell just by looking at him that he's a ****** bag. :thumbdown:

This.

#37 soultrain

soultrain

hairdresser of the sharts

• Bronze Booster
  • 805 posts

Posted 04 May 2010 - 11:29 AM

why do i love to see goalies get checked?...the checker looked like he had piss all over the top of his head.

#38 WingsallTheway

WingsallTheway

3rd Line Checker

• PipPip
  • 378 posts

Posted 04 May 2010 - 11:40 AM

haha I thought that was pretty funny, but definately a dirty play.

wingsalltheway.jpg

Pavel datsyuk is the best player in the world because he snatches the puck from unsuspecting players and  follows it up by the simultaneous undressing of the defence pairing.  The end result is a calm skate back to his bench  where he can bask in the praise of his multiple girlfriends from the motherland.

#39 seeinred

seeinred

Teemu!

• HoF Booster
  • 7,812 posts

Posted 04 May 2010 - 12:41 PM

Small puck...

exactly.

not to mention they expect the puck... that was one of the worst rationalizations ever...

It's not a rationalization at all. First of all, the force is dispersed over a much greater area when you get checked than when a puck hits you. 2nd, it doesn'tf****** hurt to get hit. If you think it does, you're a ***** and have no business playing hockey, goalie or not. And I'm not saying that to get a rise out of anyone, I'm saying that because I believe it. Goalies are hockey players too. They're not supposed to get hit, and I fully support any act of on-ice retribution handed out to anyone who hits a goalie, but to act like it's dangerous or some heinous act is just stupid. Sometimes message-sending is good. It's always fun to watch.

Posted Image

Crosby's Bettman Real Doll is going to get quite a workout tonight.

#40 Blackhawkdown

Blackhawkdown

Rookie

• Pip
  • 163 posts

Posted 04 May 2010 - 01:15 PM

I still think if a goalie wants to come out of his crease and "play" he is fair game. All rules concerning hits should apply.

I totally agree with this.