• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

Hockeytown0001

WCSF Game 3 GDT: Sharks 4 at Red Wings 3

Rate this topic

Does this team had what it takes to win Cups in the future with a Ozzie-caliber goalie anymore? I don't think so.

We won't have Lidstrom and many other guys anymore after few years. Can Howard really be good enough to even take us where we are now? We have cap space. I'd invest that on the most important position in the game.

If you're going to look into the future why do you assume that other dominant players aren't in the pipeline? Nyquist, Tatar and Smith could all be all-stars. McCollum has an excellent case for being considered an elite prospect (despite an abysmal rookie season in the AHL). Mursak could be a great 2nd line player who might even have the chops to play 1st line quality hockey.

If you're going to try and project this team forward and subtract the old guys you have to assume young talent is coming back in. Why assume that young talent is going to be sub-par?

His job was to shut down pavalski and he did his job.

Agreed-- he did very well in that regard. But in the end he was a -2 and had 0 pts in a must win game. It's sad because he looked like a genuine threat all game and made some brilliant defensive plays. Unfortunately, he just didn't get it done on the score sheet.

Howard's been okay these playoffs, but really outside of a good Game 5(?) against Phoenix, he hasn't really stolen any games. I know he's a rookie and the defence needs to be better than it has, but it seems every game he gives up an untimely goal that just hands the oppposition the momentum.

Play Ozzie. Now.

I agree that playing Ozzie couldn't hurt. Although it would be unlikely to ultimately change the result, it's the only conceivable thing that could give the Wings a big enough shot in the arm this series. But Babcock--probably with Kenny's input--decided to ride Jimmy, and they'll stick to it. They were pretty ruthless in sticking with Legace in '06 to see what he was made of, and I think they'll do the same here. They won't win the series, but they'll learn a lot about their goaltender to see how he responds.

The 2008 squad was a few nautical miles better than this team. You can't compare.

We know this now, tonight. The 2008 team had a bit more talent, but they had a lot more determination.

Agreed-- he did very well in that regard. But in the end he was a -2 and had 0 pts in a must win game. It's sad because he looked like a genuine threat all game and made some brilliant defensive plays. Unfortunately, he just didn't get it done on the score sheet.

Yikes he was a -2 i thought he played better then that. Guess it shows that stats dont mean everything. Example to show how bad williams is he would have to be a -999999999999999999... you get the picture.

Since Pavel has been great this post season I guess I don't jump on him for not having pts on the board tonight. He did take out Pavelski and was 56% on FOs. Z also did his job tonight. We lost because our GT let in some s***ty goals in the third period...for whatever it's worth.

I love Pavel and Hank but the Wings are relying too heavily on those two guys - our depth is not as good as it used to be. I compare it too when Yzerman had an off game, Shanny or Feds or Igor or even MacCarty filled in. In 2008 we had the 4 lines rolling, but the cap era is catching up...score one for Bettman

This is their SCF.

Once they make it to the coference finals, that's enough for them as they've exceeded all expectations.

Why are you guy's so pissy?

The Sharks are the better team right now. I don't think the Wings lack talent, I think several key players are past prime age wise, your goalie is young and inexperienced, your guy's have taken some bad penalties at bad times. That being said, the Wings are still a very dangerous team, just past their prime and in a transition period.

The Sharks are doing something they have never done, fighting to the finish. Their youth and depth combined with dedication to the game plan is working. Give em a little credit, they deserve just a little.

Watching that game, how did you come to the conclusion that Dats wasn't good?

Edit: Insert sarcasm. tongue.gif

LOL sorry i knew you were sticking up for dats, should have not quoted you. I wanted to support what you were saying not argue with you.

Play. Ozzie. Now.

I might be able to get behind this tomorrow, I don't know.

But boy is it refreshing to hear some truth in here tonight. Way too many threads about losing and winning as a damn team. Who the hell missed Howard letting in a very depressing and game changing goal with 6 seconds left in the first??

Forward to the 3rd period. Yup! Again Howard let's in a goal from the f'n corner!! The CORNER! in a Stanley Cup playoff game, yet again ... losing our lead and focus and energy. For F sakes, who missed Clearys interview in the first intermission when he rolled his eyes when asked about the 6 second goal? He said you can not give up that goal. Yet some in here are blaming a bouncing puck Williams shot that went over the net and around the glass. WTF???

Also telling was the bench after freebie goal #3. The look on Lids Ericcsson and Stuarts faces while Howard stood there was priceless.

Starting Osgood would do one thing starting Howard next game won't: it gets in the Sharks thinking and perhaps worrying. Cause NOONE is intimidated by Howard at all now. I've watched him in the A. And now in the NHL. He's weak blocker side. He's way too floppy. He's way too prone to getting off focus. He goes down too quick and then stays there. Yes, rookie is right. But please stop insulting the other fans here cause some of us BELIEVED at the outset of the playiffs, IF Jimmy played well, we'd return to the Finals. It used to be us scoring 1 bloody goal. Now it's shifty goaltending that has us on the verge of elimination - and I'll rank this up there with the Cup Finals last year. Look who's left playing. This year is like a gimme with the teams still here. It ain't nowhere the same level of play we faced the past 2 playoffs. What a ******* waste!!!

The refs were suspiciously loose with the Sharks and seeing things simply not there with us.

Howard played once again like crap - at the worst turning points in the game.

And outplaying the Sharks for a 2nd straight game, even 3 maybe, nets us this shifty pathetic depressing unbelievable shocking (to some of us, anyways) result.

Quit the happy to be here attitudes. Some of us expected alot more. And while I despised everything Croshy related, I've lost so much respect for the NHL this year. For really, the first time. Soccer has been fixing matches for years. The NBA knowingly had refs fixing games. The MLB people know cheats are in the game, but rather clean up their sport, they insult us with bulls*** 'testing'. Why should we expect pro hockey to be any different. Last year they wanted, needed they said practically, Crosby in the Final. This year it's the feel good chokers finally getting past their demons. The Red Wings?? Thanks for your great ownership Marion & Mike. But your tram actually winning it all is bad for our business and bottom line.

*end rant*

My fellow Red Wing fans: let's hope like hell there's is a way, a God, a spirit, a voodoo doll ... something, to get us back in this series and do what we've done all these years: WIN while everyone else bans together to see we don't. I love this team. And boy am I feeling like s***.

Go Wings!!!!

Edited by motorcitykid

The Sharks are the better team right now. I don't think the Wings lack talent, I think several key players are past prime age wise, your goalie is young and inexperienced, your guy's have taken some bad penalties at bad times. That being said, the Wings are still a very dangerous team, just past their prime and in a transition period.

The Sharks are doing something they have never done, fighting to the finish. Their youth and depth combined with dedication to the game plan is working. Give em a little credit, they deserve just a little.

I will give credit to the Sharks. Excellent job of finding a way to win today. All that matters is the Sharks won in a manner different from Shark teams of the past. I still hope the Wings can make this a serious. If not, congratulations and good luck in the WCF. Enjoy the playoff ride.

Howard's been okay these playoffs, but really outside of a good Game 5(?) against Phoenix, he hasn't really stolen any games. I know he's a rookie and the defence needs to be better than it has, but it seems every game he gives up an untimely goal that just hands the oppposition the momentum.

Agreed Howard is just NOT helping us right now... You can say all you want about the defense and although lackluster you need your Goalie to come up big individually and steal a game, Its sad because I really root for the kid but you CANNOT give up four goals a game and expect to win the Stanley Cup with the netminding the Wings are getting... I really don't ever see him being that "shut down" Goalie for us... But give credit to the Sharks they are definently the better team in this series especially with what the Wings showed tonight

Edited by Rockitman

I know it's hard to not feel deflated after a game like this and being in this position. BELIEVE ME, you know I've been there.

Lots of you are throwing in the towel and declaring this thing over. I promise you it's not over. Until you lose the 4th game it is not over. The Sharks don't think it's over. I sure as hell don't think it's over. Your wings better not think it's over.

All 3 games were one goal games. A bounce or a call the other way and any or all of them go the other way. It could be 3-0 wings. As a Sharks fan and with the talent the wings have I wont feel confident until the Sharks have that 4th win.

As an organization, the red wings have been the model for every other team in the NHL. Look at what the Sharks have been trying to do the last few years. They've taken your formula and done their best to emulate it. Maybe this is the year they finally do it right. I think someone in this thread mentioned how lucky you fans have been...to have had the privilege to watch your team have so much success. Should I be so lucky with my team, even for one year, I will soak up every bit.

I know you don't want to read this much from a Sharks fan right now so I'll end it here. It's not over yet. See you Thursday.

I know it's hard to not feel deflated after a game like this and being in this position. BELIEVE ME, you know I've been there.

Lots of you are throwing in the towel and declaring this thing over. I promise you it's not over. Until you lose the 4th game it is not over. The Sharks don't think it's over. I sure as hell don't think it's over. Your wings better not think it's over.

All 3 games were one goal games. A bounce or a call the other way and any or all of them go the other way. It could be 3-0 wings. As a Sharks fan and with the talent the wings have I wont feel confident until the Sharks have that 4th win.

As an organization, the red wings have been the model for every other team in the NHL. Look at what the Sharks have been trying to do the last few years. They've taken your formula and done their best to emulate it. Maybe this is the year they finally do it right. I think someone in this thread mentioned how lucky you fans have been...to have had the privilege to watch your team have so much success. Should I be so lucky with my team, even for one year, I will soak up every bit.

I know you don't want to read this much from a Sharks fan right now so I'll end it here. It's not over yet. See you Thursday.

Even stealing our coaches. lol jk nice post.

Hate saying this to a Sharks fan... But GOOD post :thumbup:

you know normally i would think it silly to just randomly put Ozzie in but what the heck, what do we have to lose? Howard overall has let in too many goals. but with Ozzie there's a different element to fear : the early 1st period soft goal against.

I need to get over the fact that the Wings aren't going to win it every year. That being said, this made me appreciate what the Wings have done in the past two years, makes me that much more pissed about being that close last year, but realize that it is what it is . The Sharks have been due. I mean, a first round loss to the Yotes would have been a lot worse than losing to a number one seed in the sharks. Hell, months ago, Wings were worried about making the playoffs. Yeah, i'm pissed about the outcome in the game today. 3-0, history shows is only a matter of time. I've accepted it. I have faith. I'm keeping the beard until the Wings have to shave. But I have 4 stanley cup championship videos i can watch at my leisure. I'm cherishing that. This loss made me appreciate that.

I also got a feeling tomorrow morning people are gonna be talkin on the radio like this wings era is over and that it's time to move in a new direction, blah blah and more blah. Yeah howie didn't really play superb, but how you can pin it all on him? I don't think it's time to ship everyone out just yet. I mean, I just don't know yet. I guess we'll see what happens.

But i believe in miracles

go wings

:siren::clap: my man

Yikes he was a -2 i thought he played better then that. Guess it shows that stats dont mean everything. Example to show how bad williams is he would have to be a -999999999999999999... you get the picture.

:lol: Going into OT I still couldn't figure out how I watched that entire game without noticing Williams. Of course when I did notice him it was too late.

But this year you can stick around here for more than just the Wings-Sharks games, right?

:lol: Going into OT I still couldn't figure out how I watched that entire game without noticing Williams. Of course when I did notice him it was too late.

But this year you can stick around here for more than just the Wings-Sharks games, right?

Of course. I have in playoff seasons past, and pop my head in from time to time. I get busy sometimes with life/work/girlfriend things, but I check this place out often since there are way more topics for discussion here due to so many more members and more traffic.

I agree I expected the sharks to choke in the 1st rd again but now I will be suprised if they dont make it to the finals. :cool:

Well I just got done watching the game.

Not much more can to be said really.

Only thing left to determine, is Jason Williams spot on the all time greatest wings list, I was thinking 1st? He's really really good, that much I'm sure of.

Let's hope he sticks around :thumbup:

Blahhh

Go wings.

Upon further review, Ericsson should probably be #1..seriously what was he doing on that play. It's so bad all I can do is laugh.

Edited by crotty99

Great post. I hope you get to know how it feels when your team wins one day. If you guys win, I expect the Sharks play in the following rounds like they mean it. It seems after beating Phoenix, we just fell apart. But in all honesty, this series is over. Teams don't go down 0-3 in a series for no reason. The Wings don't have what it takes to win, as evident by 3 games of play. Whatever you do, don't say you beat the Mighty Detroit Red Wings. I hate that title people give us because it serves as an excuse when we beat them or as a nice pat on the back if we lose to them. We aren't owned by Disney.

Well I just got done watching the game.

Not much more can to be said really.

Only thing left to determine, is Jason Williams spot on the all time greatest wings list, I was thinking 1st? He's really really good, that much I'm sure of.

Let's hope he sticks around :thumbup:

Blahhh

Go wings.

You really have to marvel at what a complete, total buffoon Jason Williams is. I thought it was bad enough that his never-ending boneheaded plays practically cost us the Edmonton series in 2006. Alas, no -- he has to set a new standard in 2010 by firing off an absurd, ridiculous shot in OT that does nothing but spark a 2-on-1 clincher the other way. McClellan is a smart guy and a good coach, and I have little doubt that he constantly reminded the Sharks to be prepared to pounce whenever Williams was on the ice.