• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

Hockeytown0001

WCSF Game 3 GDT: Sharks 4 at Red Wings 3

Rate this topic

I posted this is a different thread, but elt it was more appropriate here, sorry to double post:

Wow, from the sound of most people here, I am glad I didn't watch the game. Blew a 3-1 lead, bad goal to tie, too may penalties, 3rdperiod let down. Face it guys, all year long they've had these 3rd period let downs. I remember a user on here posting the Price is right horn to indicate another third period by the Wings. I did see the OT goal on the highlights, WTF was Rafalski doing? Isn't he supposed to take the pass away? HE never went down to try to deflet the pass, his stick was behind his back, the only thing he did was wave his hand at the puck (in Scott Mitchell tackle attempt fashion) as it effortlesly made it's way to Marleau, who slam dunked an open net goal. And watch J. Willy, he just stops skating for some reason as he is getting near Marleau right before the re-direct... PATHETIC!

The Jason Williams experiment is OVER, tell Rafalski, either accept a trade or be cut. The both of them are directly at fault for this OT goal. No guarantee Rafalski would've blocked it but DO YOUR JOB, bend over, block the pass, deflect it with your stick, TRY!!! Don't just wave at it with your hand! And Williams, geesh! Sure, no guarntee he would've caught Marleau in time, but Jeezus H, huslte to the very end! SHOW SOME F'ING DESIRE TO STOP A GOAL, TO WIN! Willaims should be back out of the lineup for game 4, crap, put ANYONE in there, someone needs to win a job next year and will at least show more desire and hustle than Williams, My grandmother has more hustle than Williams!

Now all wings can do is to lose next game 4:3 as well. It is the only thing they were consistent at in this series. Not to mention it probably will be the only thing to be proud about. Let's think about next season...

Go wings!

I know it's hard to not feel deflated after a game like this and being in this position. BELIEVE ME, you know I've been there.

Lots of you are throwing in the towel and declaring this thing over. I promise you it's not over. Until you lose the 4th game it is not over. The Sharks don't think it's over. I sure as hell don't think it's over. Your wings better not think it's over.

All 3 games were one goal games. A bounce or a call the other way and any or all of them go the other way. It could be 3-0 wings. As a Sharks fan and with the talent the wings have I wont feel confident until the Sharks have that 4th win.

As an organization, the red wings have been the model for every other team in the NHL. Look at what the Sharks have been trying to do the last few years. They've taken your formula and done their best to emulate it. Maybe this is the year they finally do it right. I think someone in this thread mentioned how lucky you fans have been...to have had the privilege to watch your team have so much success. Should I be so lucky with my team, even for one year, I will soak up every bit.

I know you don't want to read this much from a Sharks fan right now so I'll end it here. It's not over yet. See you Thursday.

An excellent post from a classy fan. I have to admire your balls though. I just cannot bring myself to go into another teams forum and discuss a hotly contested game like this. I know you haven't gotten your kudos as much as you have gotten lumps, but I do agree with you. Every Wings fan should be giving the Sharks a lot of credit.

Remember when the Wings would dominate the faceoff circle? Remember when the Wings would cycle the puck and the other team would take penalties just to get the puck back? Remember when the Wings played with urgency and could close teams out when they were up at the start of the 3rd period? Remember when our goalie would come up with a HUGE stop in a key situation (such as a penalty shot last night *hint hint*)? Remember when our defense would not play desperate in OT and give up golden opportunities to the other team as a result? Remember when the Wings would be on the bad end of the penalty calls, but would have the fortitude to win games?

The game dynamic would be entirely different if the Wings were still doing these things. Instead, the Sharks are and they are deserving of moving on so far.

That being said, the Wings are not done yet. I believe they still have fight left in them and I am going to enjoy what games they have left this season. I am a fan, and I will never give up on the Wings.

If the Wings do get ousted this round, I will continue to watch the playoffs because I am also a hockey fan. I will probably cheer for a team that hasn't won the cup in a long time. That means Pittsburgh is out, but every other team would be in. Yes, even Chicago *shudder*.

Their problems with the faceoffs is one of more baffling traits in this series.

But the Sharks are definitely looking like the team to beat in these playoffs. Unless they self destruct and lose the next four games they'll have finally shaken their "choker" status and they just have that look of confidence in their eyes. They'll go all the way this year if the Wings can't climb back into this (which, now that I'm cooling off from last, seems possible if a bit far fetched.)

0-3 to 4-3 has been done before. I know we haven't seen much to think it can happen, but if they take it one game at a time, I believe they can pull this off.

Morning after thoughts on my blog:

Hockeytown Happenings - Searching for Answers

An excerpt:

After Z actually scored 1:47 into the second period, I thought it was done. It just felt like the Wings’ night. It felt like Game 7 in Phoenix, when they realized their backs really were against the walls and that they should actually, you know, exert themselves. Less than two minutes later, though, when Todd Bertuzzi took a hooking penalty, I knew it wasn’t going to be so easy. (Side-note: who holds the record for Most Penalties at Inopportune Times? It has to be Bert). From that point on, the Wings were sloppy. They looked tired. They looked bored. They lacked the killer instinct they showed in that Game 7. It just kind of felt like it was a matter of time before things started to turn.

And turn they did. The third period was a clusterf***. This thing would have been over in regulation had Jimmy not made some stellar saves and Joe Pavelski not missed a wide open net. The Wings looked defeated before they even were. It was a complete role reversal. Detroit is supposed to clamp down a game like this. San Jose is supposed be the team that wastes it all away. Instead, when Couture scored to tie the game, the reaction was more of a “well, about time” than “you’ve got to be kidding.” The comeback was in sight from a mile away. As a Red Wings fan, it was a shock to the system. A two-goal third period lead at home in the playoffs is supposed to be a no-brainer. This wasn’t supposed to happen.

The overtime goal is only worth bringing up as a means to discuss Jonathan Ericsson. What was he doing? He was literally behind the net when the Sharks were at the Wings’ blue line. He was s***ty all game, he’s been s***ty all season. I don’t understand how Babcock chooses to sit Lilja over him. Babs has had this infatuation with Ericsson all year and it’s never really made sense. I keep waiting for him to get better, to live up to this hype that’s surrounded him for the last few years. Some guys just never get there. Potential can only be your calling card for so long.

honetly.... what are the chances of us bringin back this series?

After watching the last 3 games, I think their chances are good. They just need to play 60 minutes of hockey 4 straight times. Mind you they haven't played a full 60 minutes since Game 7 of the Phoenix series, but it is possible.

I think Rafalski was trying to use "the Force" to send the Thornton into the boards by just waving his hand at him. It didn't work.

No kidding.

******* idiot didn't play the pass very well, considering how Thornton is a guy that always passes in that situation.

Imagine if that was Lidstrom playing that 2 on 1.

Morning after thoughts on my blog:

Couture scored one of the weakest goals of the past two or three years at one of the worst possible times.

On the OT goal, Howard was severely overcommitting to one side on the play and therefore had no chance to stop the shot. Howard was primarly, if not solely responsible for losing the lead and then the game. Saying "Yeah, but he made some nice saves" doesn't mean s*** if he is 100% responsible for the goals that caused the team to drop the lead and then lose in OT.

People bash Ozzie for the Jamie Baker play in 94; there were 2 or 3 other Wings who could have stopped that from happening and didn't.

An excellent post from a classy fan. I have to admire your balls though. I just cannot bring myself to go into another teams forum and discuss a hotly contested game like this.

Other teams have forums, but there aren't other forums like this. You have your share of idiots, of course, but they don't tend to stick around very long and they are well outnumbered by people who are extremely knowledgeable about hockey. It's not just about going on the other team's boards (why bother in the series with the Avs), it's about coming here.

Every year as the season goes on, I find myself spending more time lurking (and occasionally posting) here because it's a lot more rewarding. Plus it's rare that people on this board whip out the ol' If you're a Sharks fan, what the hell are you doing here?!? Go back to your own damn board! line.

Besides, I like hockey first and foremost, and the Wings deliver good hockey dependably. Anybody who appreciates the sport has to like the Wings, even if you want them to lose.

Guys look at it this way we have had 3 one goal games here. We lost last night becuase we could not finish. We have to give San Jose credit for coming back though. No complaining about this one at all. All they can do is try to win game 4 though unlikely and attempt to make this a series.

As a Sharks fan and a long time member of The Feeder/Let's Go Sharks site, let me start by saying (in my best Bill Clinton voice) "I feel your pain." Last night's game had to be devastating for true Wings fans, as I know all too well from seeing my Sharks cough-up so many playoff games in years past. But, keep the faith because this series ain't over yet. Sure, a team coming back from an 0-3 playoff hole has only been done twice before, but if it is to be done, yours is the team to get it done. An organization as good as the Red Wings will not, and should not believe all is lost.

When the series started I felt the biggest factor would be between the pipes and, after Howard's performance in Game 3, maybe starting Ozzie would be a wise choice. The guy has always had the magic touch in the playoffs. Other than that . . . I got nothin'.

You guys have had the great fortune of having the most successful team in the NHL over the past decade or so. But as someone from LGW posted last night over at The Feeder, maybe 10 playoff series' in the last 2+ years is starting to catch up to Detroit and maybe it's finally our time to spend a little quality time with the big shiny thing. For the Sharks to win this series, after all of their past failures, would be huge. And winning it against the Red Wings would be what would make it special.

Anyway, good luck Thursday night and may the best team win.

Officiating has been fair. If the Wings choke now, it is not just on Howard. SJ has avoided unnecessary penalties and done great on the PK, so they've earned this shot.

Howard has not been the difference, unfortunately, and Nabakov has matched him.

Lol.

Guest REDWINGSFTW

No kidding.

******* idiot didn't play the pass very well, considering how Thornton is a guy that always passes in that situation.

Imagine if that was Lidstrom playing that 2 on 1.

Definately lids stick is flat down right in the passing lane.

Ok I heard through the grapvine (Shark fans no less) that the fans were chanting CROSBY SUCKS last night at the game???? :yowza: . Any of you at the game here this?

I sincerely hope not. Dissing Crosby on a message board is one thing; pulling that out when we're not even playing the Penguins is another thing entirely. If I was at the game and heard anyone doing that, I'd tell them to shut the hell up.

Guest scottj

yeah I didn't hear that... I really doubt that happened. does anybody have any audio or video of it?

Ok I heard through the grapvine (Shark fans no less) that the fans were chanting CROSBY SUCKS last night at the game???? :yowza: . Any of you at the game here this?

At which game? Game 3 or the ones in San Jose?

I was at last night's game and there was a girl in the stands wearing a Crosby shirt so her section was taunting her for it :lol: It had nothing to do with the game and I don't think it was during play. I didn't join in but there was a kid in a pink shirt that kept trying to get everybody to do the wave and I think he started the chant at her.

Edited by skyphoenix