• Please log in to reply
1330 replies to this topic

#1221 MulesWillFly93

MulesWillFly93

2nd Line Scorer

• PipPipPip
  • 729 posts

Posted 04 May 2010 - 10:10 PM

You can't get on Howard for the OT goal. It's a s***show when they get a break like that. Maybe you get lucky, maybe you don't.

However, that soft goal at the end of the 1st and the soft goal in the 3rd are unacceptable. I feel infinitely more justified in suggesting that Babcock screwed up with the goaltending. It's just stupid to put so much on a rookie when you've got a guy like Osgood there. He never was given a fair shot, and that's a shame.

As I've said since November, it's stupid to put so much on Howard. It's not fair to him. He was set up to fail or be Patrick Roy, and the latter was unlikely to happen.

He hasn't been good enough in the playoffs and he lost this game for us. I don't blame him though. I blame Babcock. He's been making poor coaching decisions since November, and now we're suffering through the result of those poor decisions, and most unfortunately, so is Howard.

I agree - Howard effed up some in the first part, but everybody effed up in OT. I liked that they played Howard a lot during the regular season and let him get a lot of experience, but I'm not sure it was the right call to only let Ozzie play that one game against the Flyers in 2010 (wait, that was it, right?). I do like how they've stuck with Howard through thick and thin and have been really supportive of him, but it would've been nice to have Ozzie in shape, if for no other reason than to bring peace of mind to Howard and the guys by letting them know that at least they HAVE a back-up goalie.

Nobody lives forever.
Some things never die.
Like up in the land of ice and snow,
They tell me that a Red Wing always flies.
RIP Ruslan Salei - Brad McCrimmon - Stefan Liv - Lokomotiv Yaroslavl
(Orig. lyrics - Ray Wylie Hubbard, "Airplane Fell Down in Dixie")

#1222 Howard He Do It?!

Howard He Do It?!

Hall-of-Famer

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,417 posts

Posted 04 May 2010 - 10:11 PM

I see your point but Howard is not a young guy making his way into the league. He's 26 and had a lot of chances to prove himself. He was good during the regular season but lets too many soft goals and he is unable to control his rebounds so much that I don't know if its something he can fix at this point. We can't pin these losses on him alone but I don't see him being an elite goaltender in the NHL.

No, Howard is not young but he is still a rookie. The NHL is not the AHL. Not every goaltender is going to be Patrick Roy. I want to see Howard split time with Ozzie next season, or whoever the backup will be, before I pass major judgment.

Posted Image Posted Image Posted Image Posted Image Posted Image Posted Image Posted Image Posted Image Posted Image Posted Image Posted Image Posted Image Posted Image Posted Image Posted Image Posted Image Posted Image Posted Image

Round 1: Red Wings (4) vs. Coyotes (0)
Round 2: Red Wings (0) vs. Sharks (0)

#1223 Packer487

Packer487

1st Line Sniper

• PipPipPipPip
  • 838 posts

Posted 04 May 2010 - 10:12 PM

Story line worth mentioning: Unless they can get it together and win the next two, Game 4 could very well be the last game ever at The Joe.

#1224 mindfly

mindfly

GRRRRR

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,170 posts

People act like Howard came out of nowhere.

This guy has been among the elite goalie prospects since '03.

The potential is there, this was a very successful first season. He's clearly not had the best playoffs, but the Wings just aren't a Stanley Cup caliber team and that can make it look like it's Howard costing us more then he probably is.

It's not like he is putting on his Cloutier mask and letting in 60 footers. He's made some huge saves, and has kept the Wings in close games. He may not have out dueled Nabokov, but for a first playoff experience it could have been far far worse.

It's not time to give up on him, he's going to get better. Now I wouldn't give him a whole lot of string to work with, but he's earned a good chance to be the goaltender for this team. He was far and out our regular season MVP and we should all look forward and cheer for him, because the sky is the limit.

He got way too many games this first year imo...and osgood is in the past.. i've said it 10times today already... CAREY PRICE :ph34r:

#1225 sixer

sixer

1st Line All-Star

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,338 posts

The Sharks Powerplays in Series 22
The Wings Powerplays in Series 11
Seems odd that there is such a large disparity, I believe all the other series are pretty much even, 2 maybe. I am not a conspiracy believer, but I do believe that the refs are looking the other way to what San Jose is doing! I find it very frustrating as a hockey fan to watch these games and to watch supposed professional referees tip the ice in favor of one team!

My thoughts exactly.

#1226 VM1138

VM1138

Legend

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,611 posts

Posted 04 May 2010 - 10:13 PM

This team has lost its grit from years past. Something needs to be done in the off season. The only people that really feel like putting their body on the line are helm, datsyuk and abdelkader. Homer is slowly starting to make my s*** list, he used to just sit in front of the goalie and do his business. Now he is retaliating with stupid penalties.

I'm tired of hearing people say this. This Wings team isn't soft. They've been outhitting both San Jose and Phoenix. It's their puck control that has gone out the window. They pass blindly and everyone thinks they are Datsyuk and try to carry the puck through three opposing players in the neutral zone at full speed.
Check out my short e-book on the Red Wings' 1937 Stanley Cup championship entitled: "Nothing Could Keep 'Em Down." Please download it from my profile at Smashwords: https://www.smashwor...ile/view/victor

New e-book: The Spanish-American War: A Brief History. Relatively short, introductory read for casual history buffs and people who want to learn more about a forgotten war that changed America. Available at BN.com, Smashwords, Kobo, and Diesel E-Books right now. Same link as above.

#1227 Finnish Wing

Finnish Wing

13th Forward

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,475 posts

Howard is a rookie. How many elite goaltenders were elite in their rookie season? It's not like Howard has been in the NHL for 3 years. Give him next season at least.

Many elite goaltenders. Those who will become franchise goalies are usually good at their rookie seasons already. Tuukka Rask is pretty good. That Nabokov guy wasn't bad either.

He's 26. It's not like he's been in the NL for 3 years but it's not like he's going to develop much either. People think he'll be a franchise goaltender which is total bs. Like I said, I'll be happy if he'll be as good as Ozzie was in his prime. People are just blinded by the hype. Maybe it's because he sucked early at the season and then started to play better.

Someone like Rask, Mason, Varlamov... you can see the potential right away. If he was a big guy like Rinne or Gustavsson I'd have more faith, because big guys develop later. There's a reason why he was in the AHL for so long. Guys mentioned before come and dominate at the younger age already.
Detroit Red Wings & Tampereen Ilves forever!

#1228 Detroit # 1 Fan

Detroit # 1 Fan

Truculence.

• HoF Booster
  • 19,094 posts

Down 0-3, I say pull Williams and Ericsson, put in Lilja and May, and play Ozzie. Try and see if this veteran leadership trash actually has some relevance.

#NOMOREKINDL

#1229 Z and D for the C

Z and D for the C

This is the TBL forum, right?

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,036 posts

People act like Howard came out of nowhere.

This guy has been among the elite goalie prospects since '03.

The potential is there, this was a very successful first season. He's clearly not had the best playoffs, but the Wings just aren't a Stanley Cup caliber team and that can make it look like it's Howard costing us more then he probably is.

It's not like he is putting on his Cloutier mask and letting in 60 footers. He's made some huge saves, and has kept the Wings in close games. He may not have out dueled Nabokov, but for a first playoff experience it could have been far far worse.

It's not time to give up on him, he's going to get better. Now I wouldn't give him a whole lot of string to work with, but he's earned a good chance to be the goaltender for this team. He was far and out our regular season MVP and we should all look forward and cheer for him, because the sky is the limit.

Agreed 100%. He is a rookie in his first playoffs. I look forward to another great year from Howard next season.

Just cause you look like the gimp don't mean you play like the gimp!

#1230 Drake_Marcus

Drake_Marcus

Pariah

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,336 posts

Posted 04 May 2010 - 10:14 PM

Babcock scratched Lilja instead of Ericsson.

Nice move Mike. :rolleyes:

Lilja and Lebda are a much better pairing.

:lol: You didn't notice that Lilja only played 7 or 8 mins in the last game and Ericsson played 14? Lilja was really huffing in the 3rd period of game 2. I think that has something to do with the choice to sit him.
Dedicated to lulz once lost:
Posted Image
Thanks TeeMan!

"We live on a placid island of ignorance in the midst of black seas
of infinity, and it was not meant that we should voyage" --H.P. Lovecraft

#1231 tdinc

tdinc

1st Line All-Star

• Bronze Booster
  • 1,585 posts

Posted 04 May 2010 - 10:14 PM

Its not Jimmy's fault, he has done very well for a rookie goaltender.... the rest of the team, seems to have lost their will to play with aggression.

yes the refs suck.... they try too hard and play to fancy with the puck. never shooting at the net. no excuses just the sharks seem to want it more and are bigger and stronger.

If the team pulls of a miracle and win 4 straight then so be it...... but until the front office finally realizes that its time to turn the page on players like Draper and find some ways to bring in a proven "consistent" goal scorer utilize the young talent from GR. we will have the same result next year..

GO Wings... :octo:

#1232 VM1138

VM1138

Legend

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,611 posts

Posted 04 May 2010 - 10:16 PM

Howard has been great, but in my mind this season has proven how important it is to have a goalie tandem. Hopefully next season they split the games between Ozzie and Howard. Ozzie can get his crap together hopefully and challenge Howard for the spot. Then we'll be sitting pretty, especially with Hudler and another power forward and maybe some improvement on defense.
Check out my short e-book on the Red Wings' 1937 Stanley Cup championship entitled: "Nothing Could Keep 'Em Down." Please download it from my profile at Smashwords: https://www.smashwor...ile/view/victor

New e-book: The Spanish-American War: A Brief History. Relatively short, introductory read for casual history buffs and people who want to learn more about a forgotten war that changed America. Available at BN.com, Smashwords, Kobo, and Diesel E-Books right now. Same link as above.

#1233 mindfly

mindfly

GRRRRR

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,170 posts

Down 0-3, I say pull Williams and Ericsson, put in Lilja and May, and play Ozzie. Try and see if this veteran leadership trash actually has some relevance.

Exactly, I'm all for this.. they got nothing to lose anyways, osgood worked in the past and he won't be worse than howard was today... it's a high risk but with a good reward if it works out...

#1234 Howard He Do It?!

Howard He Do It?!

Hall-of-Famer

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,417 posts

Rask is playing prettyf****** solid for the bruins and he's a rookie....you know one thing the finns do well and that is producing good goaltenders

Rask is an exception to the rule. Sometimes you are a hot shot rookie and continue to be a hot shot throughout your career. Sometimes you are a hot shot rookie and that's it. Rask is having an amazing season but their is no guarantee that he is this good next season.

Every goalie is different. There is no one way to develop a goalie.

Posted Image Posted Image Posted Image Posted Image Posted Image Posted Image Posted Image Posted Image Posted Image Posted Image Posted Image Posted Image Posted Image Posted Image Posted Image Posted Image Posted Image Posted Image

Round 1: Red Wings (4) vs. Coyotes (0)
Round 2: Red Wings (0) vs. Sharks (0)

#1235 soonboomer

soonboomer

3rd Line Checker

• PipPip
  • 489 posts

Posted 04 May 2010 - 10:17 PM

The Sharks Powerplays in Series 22
The Wings Powerplays in Series 11
Seems odd that there is such a large disparity, I believe all the other series are pretty much even, 2 maybe. I am not a conspiracy believer, but I do believe that the refs are looking the other way to what San Jose is doing! I find it very frustrating as a hockey fan to watch these games and to watch supposed professional referees tip the ice in favor of one team!

Or maybe San Jose is just playing better.........making the Wings legitimately take bad penalties..........you know, like the Wings have done for so many years prior to this. This team was outshot and out "time of possessed" in more games this season than probably the rest of the decade combined. Thinking its was all going to change in the playoffs was wishful thinking. They have too many parts of the puzzle who no longer fill the need. I still think our stars are good enough. It's the role players on this team who are not as good as other teams have. Rolling 4 lines used to be a strength............this season it has put them at a disadvantage. This is a transition year.........just as next year will be if Lidstrom retires. Holland needs to earn his pay. And I'll have another vodka and cranberry.

#1236 Drake_Marcus

Drake_Marcus

Pariah

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,336 posts

Posted 04 May 2010 - 10:19 PM

Also, Jimmy Howard will never be a franchise goaltender and this season was probably just some "miracle season" for him. He will never be better than Ozzie was.

What a retarded statement to make right now.

Name all the rookie goalies who lead their team to a Cup in their rookie year. Now name the top 10 goaltenders all time. Did any of the elite goalies in the league right now lead their team far in the playoffs as a rookie?

Also sit down and think about how Ozzie's postseason career started (hint: it was against the Sharks). Back then did you think he could never lead the Wings to the promised land because we lost in the 1st round?
Posted Image
Thanks TeeMan!

#1237 HockeyCoach13

HockeyCoach13

Prospect

• 44 posts

Posted 04 May 2010 - 10:19 PM

you cant say howard has done great, not in this series, in the season yeah he was great for a rookie, in these playoffs no, hes nothing but mediocre. ozzy ftw

wings in 7.

#1238 UP Wings Fan

UP Wings Fan

UP Wings Fan

• Pip
  • 64 posts

Posted 04 May 2010 - 10:20 PM

I would go with that. Can't be any worse than a loss, which is what we are doing anyway. I'm sure Ozzie is rusty, but miracles can happen! an dthat's what this team needs now!

#1239 Drake_Marcus

Drake_Marcus

Pariah

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,336 posts

Or maybe San Jose is just playing better.........making the Wings legitimately take bad penalties..........you know, like the Wings have done for so many years prior to this. This team was outshot and out "time of possessed" in more games this season than probably the rest of the decade combined. Thinking its was all going to change in the playoffs was wishful thinking. They have too many parts of the puzzle who no longer fill the need. I still think our stars are good enough. It's the role players on this team who are not as good as other teams have. Rolling 4 lines used to be a strength............this season it has put them at a disadvantage. This is a transition year.........just as next year will be if Lidstrom retires. Holland needs to earn his pay. And I'll have another vodka and cranberry.

They did earn some of their PP oppertunities by being the superior team.

But the Refs blew an amazing number of calls.
Posted Image
Thanks TeeMan!

#1240 brett

brett

Legend

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,132 posts

why cant dats and Z be good in the same game.