• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

Wings4Life19

The future between the pipes?

Rate this topic

145 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

watching the red wings practice today made me think about the wings goalie situation. they all of a sudden have amazing depth with Howard, Larson, McCallum, and Pearce, but with at least 3 if not all of them having the potential to be #1 goalies in the NHL not all of them will last their career with the team. so my question to you is who do you think will be the guy to come out of this race and be the wings #1 guy for the next decade or so? :goalie2:

Edited by Wings4Life19

Guest mjtm77

Howard. I like Filp for Price but Montreal would never do that

Edited by mjtm77

Guest mindfly

If he has issues in Montreal, do you think he can survive the normal "love" for Red Wings goalies?

The kid has the most excellent technique, he's young and can steal games, he just needs a change of scenery to get er going again trust me

Guest mindfly

Why on Earth would you trade Flip for Price when we already have Howard?

Because Howard isn't a good goalie (he's only AWESOME on this board because of the glove on crosby's head, no helmet save and whatnot), Price is better than Howard and he's three years younger, too.

Edited by mindfly

Someone who just went 13-20 this season with a 2.77 GAA on a good Canadiens team is better than the rookie who went 37-15 with a depleted wings lineup? Sporting a 4th best GAA of 2.26 GAA to boot?

You're only mad at Howard because we lost the past 2 games.

Even if Price was as good as Howard, why on earth would you give up one of our most valuable assets for Price?

Carman >>>>>>>>>>>> You

Why on Earth would you trade Flip for Price when we already have Howard?

do not humor mindfly... he's just here to aggravate and get peoples feathers ruffled without adding anything of substance... much like a common housefly...

Because Howard isn't a good goalie (he's only AWESOME on this board because of the glove on crosby's head, no helmet save and whatnot), Price is better than Howard and he's three years younger, too.

carey price is a great goaltender that needs a new start yes...BUT holland won't give up on jimmy and for what reason should he? Not to mention babs likes his chances with jimmy as #1. As for #51 his trade value is better than prices atm and im sure he isant goign anywhere intill atleast 2011-2012 season.

Guest mindfly

carey price is a great goaltender that needs a new start yes...BUT holland won't give up on jimmy and for what reason should he? Not to mention babs likes his chances with jimmy as #1. As for #51 his trade value is better than prices atm and im sure he isant goign anywhere intill atleast 2011-2012 season.

I know it's not very realistic, Holland doesn't work like that, so based on the question of the topic my answer was not very good, what I meant was ME PERSONALLY would like to see Price here because he really is a franchise goaltender while howard probably will be traded around to different teams his whole career

Edited by mindfly

It'll probably be Howard. Despite having several highly touted prospects, including some who have had solid seasons elsewhere (Joey MacDonald last year, for one) the last homegrown Red Wings goaltender to come out and take over the starting job in his first year or two before Howard was All-Star tender Chris Osgood. Before Osgood? All-Star tender Tim Cheveldae. Chevy inherited in from a long chain of veterans at the end of their careers.

The last homegrown starter before Cheveldae? Minor-league goaltender Doug Grant, who started for half a season in 1973-74 before the Wings traded defenseman Ron Stackhouse to Pittsburgh for Jim Rutherford.

So unless the pattern breaks, which is unlikely because since Chevy became the outright starter - in other words, since Detroit has started developing and playing their drafted goaltenders - the team hasn't missed the playoffs. Sure, there have been a couple seasons in there where the starter was not homegrown (Vernon, Hasek) but the majority of the team's key players were also built from within at the time.

One of Larsson, McCollum, or Pearce may end up in an Andy Moog sort of role for a while (most likely Pearce, as he supposedly has the lowest potential) or it's possible all three end up traded. With Howard approaching his prime and the others younger, it's most likely that Larsson will end up traded if Osgood ends up re-signing, and if Ozzie retires by 2011 then 2011-12 will let us see who is really the better goaltender, Howie or Larsson. If Ozzie stays, then this leaves McCollum as Osgood's "expected" replacement, as Howard will likely have more than enough playoff experience for a young backup to learn from him as he has learned from Osgood, and Ozzie learned from Vernon.

I lol'd.

You really think people on this board only like Howard because he faced washed Crosby and made a no helmet save. Do you not realize that he was a major factor of getting the Wings to the playoffs, but is also up for Rookie of the Year and has had a very impressive rookie season. That is probably why these boards love him so much.

I lol'd.

You really think people on this board only like Howard because he faced washed Crosby and made a no helmet save. Do you not realize that he was a major factor of getting the Wings to the playoffs, but is also up for Rookie of the Year and has had a very impressive rookie season. That is probably why these boards love him so much.

I see you are new to this board... don't take ANYTHING mindfly says seriously, he's only here to ruffle feathers and troll... disregard everything he says and don't even bother replying to him, it only fuels him...

My vote had to go to McCollum. I love Jimmy and I think he has done very well this season and I think for the next 3 or so years he'll be the man in net and I think he will just get better with every passing season. If McCollum continues to develop well and doesn't have any long-term injuries and just works hard I think he will be our goalie of the future in the sence of the next 10 to 15 Years when and if he does get to the NHL. I was very impressed when Detroit picked him up in the 08 Draft and I think with time he will be an awesome goalie. That being said between Howard and Larsson on of them will have to go unless some how Detroit can work on some type of rotation but I'm not sure how good that would work. Larsson is the next one DUE up whether that actually happens or not I'm not sure but something will have to be done until McCollum can come up if he ever does. As far as my vote goes it's McCollum. I guess we'll see what really happens soon enough. Go Wings!!

Guest mindfly

I lol'd.

Tell me one goalie that is worse than Howard in these teams remaining in the playoffs.. i can't come up with one...

It's really tough to guess. The easiest way to go now is Howard obviously after his strong regular season in the NHL, but we should know all too well by now that early success for a goalie does not guarantee a solid career. Lots of guys come on strong and fast, but they oftentimes fade away even faster. And Howard's no spring chicken either. As strong as he's played this year, it still took him far longer than most expected to develop into an NHL goalie, and even now, the real test will come over the next couple seasons to see if he can sustain his success.

That said, I think it's really up to Howard to keep a cool, level head about him and to continue to improve on his weak points. He's certainly got the skill, the rest boils down to making the most of your potential. Some goalies find a way, some don't, and only time will tell. But Howard's got the tools, so if he keeps them straight and refines a few more, he's got a real good chance of being the guy for awhile.

As far as the other guys go, it's still too far out. Goalies are head as hell to predict because even if they play well enough to get their break in the NHL, you don't know what their career will amount to until they're well into they're 2nd or 3rd year.